Spicy Stuffed Peppers
Looking for a recipe with a lot of flavor and a little bit of heat? Then try this Italian Spicy Stuffed Peppers Recipe. These delicious stuffed peppers make a perfect meal that can be served by themselves or with a side of mashed potatoes and garlic bread.
How to Make Stuffed Peppers
Spicy Stuffed Peppers are very easy to make. Just make the rice and then mix in the ground beef, sausage, cheese and spices. Stuff the peppers and roast away!
How Long Will Stuffed Peppers Last in the Freezer?
Stuffed peppers are a great meal to make ahead of time, as they can be stored in the freezer and cooked at a later date. If you have a large quantity of peppers, you can make and store enough stuffed peppers for multiple meals. Stuffed peppers can last 10–12 months if well sealed in the freezer. We recommend using a vacuum sealer to preserve them even better. You can find a vacuum sealer here!
Even though the recipe calls for boiling the rice in a pot over the stove, we love to use our Instant Pot. The rice would normally take 25 minutes to cook, but the Instant Pot cooks it in only 10 minutes, cutting the cook time by 15 minutes. See the latest deal on Instant Pots here or click the image below.
Use our spicy Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe to give your stuffed peppers a little bit more heat.
Spicy Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound hot Italian pork sausage casing removed
- 10 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh and chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper optional
- 4 green bell peppers large
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese grated
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a medium pot. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed - about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook onion and olive oil over medium heat until onion begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Take half of cooked onion and place in a large bowl for later use.
- Add the marinara sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes to the pot with the cooked onion. Continue to cook and stir for an additional minute.
- Pour sauce mixture into a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine ground beef, hot sausage, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper(Optional) into a bowl with leftover onions. Mix all ingredients well. Add cooked rice and 1 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Stuff green bell peppers with beef and sausage mixture.
- Place stuffed green bell pepper halves in the baking dish with tomato sauce. Sprinkle the peppers with the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake and additional 30 min until the meat juice is no longer pink, the peppers are tender and the cheese is slightly brown on top.
Check out more delicious Frugal Recipes!
Let us know how you liked this recipe by commenting and rating the recipe below.