Homemade Strawberry Shortcakes
We have picked tons of strawberries in our garden this year and I have been super busy putting them up in the freezer and making freezer jam. But this is one of our families favorite recipes for eating up some of those fresh seasonal strawberries. We call them Strawberry Biscuits but you may know them better as Strawberry Shortcake. Either way it is delish!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add in (I use a kitchen aid mixer).
- Then add in the milk.
- Dough will be thick. As soon as it’s mixed and the dough is sticky, it’s done…don’t overbeat this dough.
- Drop the dough by the tablespooon full onto a lightly greased cookie sheet equally spaced apart. Bake for 12-15 min at 425 degrees.
- A toothpick should come out clean when the biscuit is done.
For the strawyberry syrup, I mash about 4 to 5 cups of strawberries with enough sugar to sweeten (at least one cup sugar, more if you like a sweeter syrup) and one package of Certo pectin jell, just so the syrup will hold in the fridge for longer than a few days. Syrup should stay about 3 weeks in your fridge – if it lasts that long.
Check out more delicious recipes!