Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
I was at the grocery store yesterday and they had large capped mushrooms on markdown because they were just slightly past their prime. Whenever I see produce markdowns I snatch them up and come up with a recipe to use them up like this one : Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms.
Saving money on produce, while not impossible, it is not always easy. Produce is our biggest expense for our household. I use coupons on most of my groceries so that I can spend more on produce.
So I pulled this recipe together from ingredients I already had on hand – cheese and cream cheese that were in the freezer, onion, garlic and spices. Easy.
If you don’t like mushrooms you can totally bake up the filling in a casserole dish and eat it that way. 2 of my kids and myself love mushrooms while my husband and 2 of the kids do not, so I did half of this recipe as stuffed mushrooms and the other half as a dip and served it with some baked pita chips.
Other stuffed mushroom recipes:
Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. bacon cooked and crumbled
- 24 large capped mushrooms
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese. at room temperature
- 1 8 oz. package of finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small sauce pan heat the butter on high heat and sauté the diced onion until they are translucent – 2-3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the sauce pan and sauté till everything starts looking a little golden, 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn your garlic.
- Pour sautéed onion in garlic into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer add cream cheese and milk and beat till fluffy.
- Add to the mixer the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and mix until combined.
- Add in the sauteed onion and garlic, and mix.
- Add cooked & crumbled bacon, salt & pepper to taste.
- Next take your mushrooms and remove the stems.
- Using a large spoon stuff the mushrooms with the cheese filling
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in a buttered baking dish.
- Place baking dish/dishes in your preheated oven and baked for 45 minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden brown and bubbly.