Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole Freezer Meals!
This recipe for Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is one of my families personal favorites, it is comfort food at it’s best, yet it is quite the pretty casserole and is nice enough to serve when we have company.
I love taking advantage of rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. The price is usually actually cheaper to buy a chicken already cooked than it is to buy a whole raw chicken and cook it yourself. I do however, try to wait for some sort of sale or deal on the rotisserie chickens and I snatch 4 or 5 of them up, pull the meat off the bones and freeze it for easy meals. And this Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole is the perfect use for that chicken meat!
The casserole recipe calls for the use of fresh leeks and mushrooms and a lot of yummy cheese. There is no “cream of” soups in this recipe either, instead creaminess is added via some sour cream. We like to top our casserole with a handful or two of chopped pecans for some extra added crunch But you can leave that off if you have nut allergies or they are too expensive. Panko bread crumbs would be lovely too!
This recipe makes two 9X13 inch casseroles which each serves 6-8 people + some. You can easily divide this up into 4 or 6 smaller casserole dishes as well. I just have a big family thus the larger casserole sizes.
Recipe for Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole:
- 2 Cups uncooked long-grain & wild rice mix
- 2 Leeks
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 (16 Oz.) Packages Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Cups Sour Cream (Fat Free is OK)
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine (can omit and use water)
- 8 Cups Shredded Chicken From 2 Rotisserie Chickens
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans (Optional)
- Chopped Chives (Garnish, Optional)
- Cook the wild rice blend according to the package directions and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, remove and discard the root end and tough outer leaves of the leeks and the top, leaving the white portion and about 3 inches of green portion.
- Cut each leek into quarters lengthwise and then thinly slice leek.
- Rinse well to remove all grit from the leek and drain.
- Melt butter in a very large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add leek & cook 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring often for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine (or water if using) and bring to the simmering point and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice mixture and shredded chicken to the skillet with the leeks and mushrooms and stir everything well to combine.
- Add sour cream and salt & pepper to taste and mix well.
- Pour mixture into (2) 9X13 baking dishes
- Sprinkle top with shredded cheese, pecans and chives.
- Cover well and freeze.
From thawed state – bake at 350°F for 20 minutes
From frozen state – bake at 350°F for 45 – 60 minutes