Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
If you love chicken enchiladas, then you will definitely want to try this ⭐️ Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe. Take everything you love about enchiladas, and turn it into a bowl of Chicken Enchilada Soup. The hot and spicy flavor will send your tastebuds spinning as well as warm you up on a cold winter evening.
This Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe is a pretty straight forward recipe to make with one of the main ingredients being Enchilada Sauce. Store bought Enchilada Sauce will always work, but we like to make own sauce. If you are interested in making it yourself, you can find the recipe here.
How to Shred Chicken
Shredding the chicken is super simple. Once the chicken is cooked throughly (No Pink Juice remains), just place a fork on one end and start pulling from the other with a separate fork. The chicken will literally fall apart.
If you have a stand mixer, be sure to check out how to shred chicken using it. When you have a lot of chicken to shred, it is a much faster process than by doing it by hand.
How To Roast Green Chiles
Fresh roasted green chilies are a key ingredient to the spice of this Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe. Roasting green chiles is not very hard. Just line them up on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Place the pan in the broiler section of the oven with the broiler on low (if possible) so they wont burn completely. Let the chiles roast just until they begin to char, about 3-5 minutes. Take them out of the oven, flip and roast again.
After roasting let the cool for a bit in a covered container. This will help loosen the peels. Once the green chiles are cooled enough to hold, just peel them before chopping to the consistency that you like.
By the time you get to the Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe step of adding the chicken to the pot, the aroma of the soup should start to become apparent. Simply add the chicken, simmer, and serve.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup masa harina corn flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz enchilada sauce
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes or sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 - 4 roasted green chiles chopped (or 4 oz. can)
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 14.75 oz can corn drained
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 med avocado
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Stir masa harina into onions and garlic, and cook until slightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, water, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and green chiles. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken to boiling soup and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 -20 minutes until chicken is cooked completely.
- Remove the chicken from pot, shred, and add back to the simmering soup. Add corn & black beans. Cook until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Serve topped with sour cream, cheese, avocado and jalapeños (if desired).
Check out more delicious Frugal Recipes!
Let us know how you liked this recipe by commenting and rating the recipe below.