Cherry French Toast Casserole Recipe
Looking for a great breakfast idea? You may want to give this recipe for Cherry French Toast Casserole a try!
It is perfect to serve for breakfast or to serve as a brunch dish. And best of all it can be prepared the night before and baked in the morning!
Serve this Cherry French Toast Casserole with syrup if desired along with bacon or sausage, coffee or juice and you have a lovely breakfast dish perfect for a hungry family!!
You can substitute other fruits for the cherries as well as use fresh instead of frozen fruit. I have made this recipie with blueberries (add a little lemon zest – delish!) as well as fresh raspberries.
You could also use strawberries however I dislike cooked strawberries so have not tried that.
- 12 slices day old bread I pick up my bread at the local bread outlet store
- 16 oz. cream cheese two 8 oz. packages
- 1 cup thawed frozen sweet cherries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sugar to sprinkle on top optional
- Cut bread into cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Cut the cream cheese into 1 inch cubes and layer on top of bread cubes in dish.
- Top with thawed cherries (and juice) and then remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract till completely combined.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Press bread down into the liquid to make sure everything gets absorbed.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake casserole, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle top with granulated sugar and bake until top is golden brown and mixture is set in the center, about 25-30 minutes.
Check out more delicious recipes!