Ground Beef Hobo Stew
This recipe calls for a nice mix of canned and fresh items as well as some spices and condiments like worcestershire sauce. And while the ingredient list is kind of long the prep is quite easy. And as we head into cooler weather (today's high is in the 60's for me) a nice stew simmering on the stove sounds great to me!
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- 3 can 11.5 oz. can V-8 or tomato juice
- 1-1/2 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed sweet and hot peppers
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh carrots diced
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups green beans cut
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce optional
- 1/4 tsp cajun seasoning optional to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper fresh
In a large pot heat the oil over medium high heat.
Add onion, peppers and celery; cook until softened; stirring occasionally. About 4 -5 min.
Add the ground beef and garlic. Cook and stir occasionally until ground beef is browned and cooked through. Drain excess fat and grease.
Sprinkle meat with flour; cook and stir for an additional 3 minutes.
Add the V-8 juice, beef stock and diced tomatoes. Add in the potatoes, carrots, corn and green beans. Add orcestershire, hot sauce and other seasonings to taste.
Stir to mix then cover and simmer over medium to medium low for appox. 2 hours or until veggies are tender. Stir occasionally.
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 727mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 21.6mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 4.8mg