If you are looking for a last minute Valentine’s Day treat you have got to try this amazing recipe for Cherry & Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats. This is just a little take on your standard Rice Krispy treat but with the addition of some lovely chopped dried cherries and some semi-chocolate chips.
I also added a few drops of red food coloring to make these a lovely pink color which is just pure fun for Valentine’s Day. Of course food coloring is optional!
All of the ingredients in this recipe are frugal and things you can normally get rather cheap with coupons and sales. The dried cherries might be the hardest item to find a deal on but if you watch for it there ARE coupons and sales on dried fruit. Other ideas for saving money on the cherries is to buy in bulk at stores such as Sam’s Club or Costco or shop online at Amazon.
You can serve these to your family and friends right out of the pan. Or dress them up cute to pass out to the kids at school or co-workers at the office!
Here is how to make these yummy Chocolate & Cherry Rice Krispies Treats:
1Gather your ingredients: Butter, Mini Marshmallows, Rice Crispy Cereal, Dried Cherries, Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips and if you want…red food coloring.
2In a large bowl, microwave the butter and the marshmallows together for about 2 minutes until the marshmallows are soft and puffed.
3While the marshmallows and butter are in the microwave, chop the dried cherries into large pieces.
4Remove the marshmallows from the microwave. Stir in the red food coloring if using. Gently stir in the cereal and the cherry pieces until everything has been coated with the marshmallow mixture. Add in the chocolate chips last.
6Cool and cut into squares to serve.
7Enjoy your delicious treats!
Cherry & Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats Recipe
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 3 cups Rice Crispy Cereal
- 1/2 cup Dried Cherries
- 1/4 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Red Food Coloring (Optional)
In a large bowl, microwave the butter and the marshmallows together for about 2 minutes until the
marshmallows are soft and puffed.
While that is in the microwave, chop the dried cherries into large pieces.
Remove the marshmallows from the microwave. Stir in the red food coloring if using. Gently stir in the cereal and the cherry pieces until everything has been coated with the marshmallow mixture. Add in the chocolate chips last.
Pat the mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Cool and cut into squares to serve. Best if eaten within a day or two of making.
Copyright to - HotCouponWorld.com - all rights reserved
One more photo 🙂
Today only, February 10, 2014, at Amazon save up to 75% on heart-shaped pendant necklaces. Choose from some of Amazon’s top-selling styles, including beautiful gold and silver picks as well as gemstone- and diamond-encrusted options–all perfect for Valentines Day gifting. Plus, get free one-day shipping on orders placed today.
I saw prices as low as $16.98. Make your selection HERE.
For more online deals visit our Online Sizzlin Hot Deal Alerts forum!
(Note- Amazon prices are subject to change unexpectedly. Check the price before you click to buy).
We are spreading the love with an awesome new giveaway just in time for Valentine’s Day! There are now one, but TWO totally cool prizes up for grabs — one winner will receive a $500 Amazon gift card and a second winner will receive a $100 Amazon gift card. How cool is that?
For your chance to win, just use the Rafflecopter form below. There are a lot of entries to choose from so take your pick… or do them all! And don’t forget that we also have daily entries, so bookmark this page and come back everyday. Good luck!
Prizes: $500 Amazon Gift Card & $100 Amazon Gift Card or cash (via Paypal)
Organized by: Oh My Gosh Beck!
Co-hosts: [oomph.] ♥ This Mama Loves ♥ This Mommy Saves Money ♥ Honey & Birch ♥ Misadventures with Andi ♥ StushiGal Style ♥ Smart School House ♥ Finger Click Saver ♥ Mommy Knows What’s Best ♥ Peanut Butter and Whine ♥ Momma T and Family ♥ Blog by Donna ♥ Stacy’s Savings ♥ Sisters Shopping on a Shoestring ♥ SmartySaver ♥ Wrap with Jolene ♥ My Little House of Treasures ♥ Lush to Blush ♥ Skirt The Rules ♥ Saving You Dinero ♥ In The Moment with Sarah Halstead
Rules: Use the Rafflecopter form to enter daily. Besides the mandatory blog comment entry, all other entries are optional. Giveaway ends 2/14 and is open worldwide.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Are you a blogger who wants to participate in giveaways like these to grow your blog? Click here to find out how you can join an awesome group of bloggers!
Show those closest to you how much you love them with 10 Personalized Valentine’s Day Cards for only $2.99 at InkGarden.com.
That is a savings of $8! Just use coupon code LUV at checkout.
Offer is valid for (10) X8 or 5X7 Flat Cards. S&H Not Included.
Coupon code expires: 02-05-2014
Save up to 60% on Valentine’s Day favorites in Amazon’s Blu-ray Deal of the Week Save on beloved films like “Meet Me in St. Louis,” “Say Anything,” and “Eat Pray Love.”
This offer ends 11:59 p.m. Pacific time, Saturday, February 9, 2013. (Note- Amazon prices are subject to change unexpectedly. Check the price before you click to buy).
Start shopping Here.
For more online deals visit our Online Sizzlin Hot Deal Alerts forum!
Are you staying in for a Valentine’s date night this year and looking for a good romantic comedy movie to watch? This is a great deal going on for the movie Valentine’s Day. This movie features and all-star cast – Jennifer Garner, Bradley Cooper, Julia Roberts, Patrick Dempsey, Anne Hathaway, Topher Grace, Shirley MacLaine, Hector Elizondo, Emma Roberts, Taylor Lautner, Taylor Swift, Ashton Kutcher & more! WOW
Price: $3.99 Plus free shipping with Amazon Prime
You Save: $1.98 (33%)
[/pullquote]About This Movie
[quote style=”1″]The starriest cast you may ever see sparkles in a hilarious and heartwarming romcom from the director of Pretty Woman and The Princess Diaries. Stories crisscross, collide and boomerang in this look at a day in the life of love. There’s a proposal. Flowers that didn’t get sent. A big fat secret that’s finally told. The “I’ll show up and surprise him” that ended up surprising her. Fights, kisses, wrong turns, right moves and more. Whether new to or through with love, you’ll fall in love with this 19-star, funny-side-up celebration of romance.[/quote]
[note color=”#FFCC00″]Prices at Amazon often change quickly without notice, please double check the price of the item you are purchasing before checking out.[/note]
Thanks The Frugal Free Gal
If you are like me, scrambling for some cute Valentine’s Day card and/or gifts here are some adorable printables (not the coupon kind) that you can print out to create your own hand crafted V-day gifts!
♥ I need to ask you a corny questions microwave popcorn wrapper – via Sugar Bean Bakers ♥
♥ Butterfly Lollipop Valentine – via Skip To My Lou ♥
♥ Paisley Hearts Valentines – via Liz 2.0 ♥
Click here for MORE free Valentine’s Day Printables
A gift certificate is the perfect gift for Valentines day (I want one!) and right now if you purchase one SpaFinder gift certificate you can save 25% off on a second one. A couples massage would be a really romantic gift and we all could use a little pampering.
SpaFinder gift certificates are accepted at over 7,000 spas worldwide!
Use online coupon code LOVE25 to claim your discount.
Offer Expires: 2/15/2012
If you have a stockpile of canned frosting (Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, etc) then you may want to give this recipe idea a try. It uses just two ingredients – canned strawberry frosting and melted white chocolate chips. How easy is that? Perfect for Valentines day. And you can use other types of frosting and chips too – think chocolate frosting + chocolate chips, lemon frosting + white chocolate chips, or even Funfetti frosting + white chocolate chips….yum!
Head on over to Cookies & Cups blog for the recipes and details on how to make this fudge recipe and if you try it out, let us know!
Check out more delicious recipes!
Submitted by Tacatcon
Are you like many of us who wait until the last day possible to figure out what to do for Valentines Day? If the thought of going to the store to pick out another Hallmark card and box of chocolates has you less than excited, here are some last minute Valentines ideas to say “Be Mine” that won’t cost you a lot!
More Frugal Living Articles! [catlist name=frugal-living-articles tags=frugal-living orderby=rand numberposts=5]
For Your Spouse or Partner
- Guys- ladies still love flowers! Right now on Proflowers.com you can get 2 dozen roses in a vase with chocolates for $29.99 using the code “JimB” when you click on the microphone in the top right corner of their homepage! Shipping is extra!
- If sending flowers, consider the Groupon for FTD florist. 50% off right now. You pay $20 and get $40 worth of flowers or gifts. But you have to hurry -this Groupon is gone tomorrow.
- Nothing says “I love you” like a little thought and creativity! Write your honey a poem and print it out on nice paper and frame it for them to keep. Not very creative? Make a collage of photos of the two of you together, documenting your relationship and frame it. Burn a CD of songs that you both enjoy! Make a “themed dinner” with all foods that you have to eat with your hands and feed each other romantically. Or make a dinner with only red foods (pasta, lobster, rare beef, apple, radishes and get out that food coloring) and finish with a yummy desert of strawberries dipped in chocolate that you have prepared!
- Focus on your partner. Make a little time for just the two of you even if you can’t afford a big night out on the town. Call the babysitter or a relative and spend some time with each other without distractions. Guys-you can win big points by calling the babysitter yourself!!! Light some candles and cuddle up on the couch. Look at old photos of the two of you and make an album of your relationship together! No TV., no kids, no work or computers for a few hours!
For Your New Boyfriend/Girlfriend or that Casual Date
Sometimes it is a little daunting when you just began dating and Valentine’s Day rolls around. Here’s a few ideas that don’t scream “Stalker” and still let your new interest know you care.
- According to AskMen.com, chocolates are the way to go guys, if you’re not yet committed. But buy a variety box and a nice collection, not the cheapest heart you can find at the drug store.
- For the person you just started dating, a humorous card that doesn’t say “love” is okay!
- Ladies, for that man you just began to date, consider planning a date so the pressure is off him! Even better, find out what he is into and plan a night around that. Is he into 80’s rock? Maybe there is a cool cover band playing in your area and you can take him to the show. Is he a sports nut? Take him to the local batting cages (weather permitting) or sports museum in your area!
- A gift of something practical for the new person in your life is perfectly appropriate. An ice scraper because your new beau is always asking to borrow yours, a set of bar waree for the guy who serves you your drinks in dixie cups, a Dunkin Donuts gift card to get them through their coffee obsession!
For The Kids and Grandkids
Valentine’s Day for many of us is a family holiday and chances are you are debating between stuffed animal and candy right now! Here are a few other gift ideas for the younger set:
- Gifts.com recommends U Star novels which allow you to get a personalized classic novel where your child (or you) becomes the main character and you can assign other characters as well.
- Hallmark Gold Crown stores offer recordable storybooks as well where you can record your voice reading the story so your child or grandchild will always have you close.
- Take time to do something special with your kids. Maybe they’ve been asking you to play a certain board game or watch a movie together. Plan a themed dinner with your children! Make everything heart shaped or red and pink. Let them help you cook that night and make it a family event. (Cut some fruit into heart shapes and make chocolate fondue for dipping for desert.) Take them on a nighttime walk to look at the stars!
- Spend some time picking out romantic comedies from your generation to share with your older daughters. Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles and Say Anything are some of my favorites! Buy them a few used DVDs or have a movie night to watch the movies together and snack on popcorn!
- For the tweens and teens, they still like candy but what they really want is gadgets. Instead of a chocolate heart, consider an Itunes gift card so they can load up their Ipod.
- Before Valentine’s Day cut out a bunch of paper hearts and write questions about your family on them like “How did Mom and Dad meet?” or “What was the best family vacation we took?”. After dinner take turns picking hearts out of a bowl and answer the questions together.
- For the younger children, let them make a present for your spouse/partner. It doesn’t have to be elaborate but they will get such a feeling of pride that they made that gift for mom or dad. Google Valentines Craft Ideas for easy, inexpensive crafts!
- Instead of “romantic coupons” make family coupons that your children can redeem for “one free hour of TV.” or “Get out of chores for one day pass”.
Whatever you decide to do for Valentine’s Day for those you love (or just like) remember you do not have to spend a lot of money to show someone you care! A little time and effort shows more love than dollar signs! If you have suggestions for Valentine’s Day, please comment below.