Hobo Bread Recipe
I LOVE this bread! My family has been making this Hobo Bread recipe since my Great Grandmothers time. I have no idea what the original source was or even why it’s called Hobo Bread. My mom told me that my Great Grandma used to feed the hobo’s so who knows… I normally make this in regular sized loaf pans but mini loaves are good for gifts too! If I am not careful I can polish off one of these mini loaves by myself very quickly.
Don’t forget to look for coupons for these ingredients in our Coupon Database!
Hobo Bread Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups seedless raisins
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Hobo Bread Instructions:
- In a large bowl mix the raisins, baking soda and boiling water.
- Cover and let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 F (162.8 C).
- In another bowl combine the sugar, flour, eggs, oil & salt.
- Mix with raisins and stir well.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (to tell if bread is done light press the top of the loaf with the back of a wooden spoon, if it springs back it is done)
Check out more delicious recipes!