Welcome to a guest post from Kate Sorensen of Coupon Cravings! Kate lives in Iowa with her husband and two kids, ages 4 1/2 and 1. She has been a devoted frugal shopper and frugal cook for years. Kate enjoys making dinners and sweets using coupons while at the same time, making food that tastes good and is healthy too. Today, she has shared one of her favorite “frugal and easy meals” with us. Enjoy!
Thank you, Hot Coupon World for having me! As I mentioned, I’m from the Midwest, and in the the Midwest, we call these sandwiches Maid-Rites, because of a little sandwich shop that opened in Iowa many, many years ago called… are you ready? Maid Rite! Others might prefer to call them loose-meat sandwiches, but whatever you like to call them, this frugal and yummy recipe tastes a lot like them and can be thrown together lickety-split with just a few ingredients that you very well may have in your kitchen right now. This meal is sure to satisfy!
Don’t forget to look for coupons for these ingredients in our Coupon Database!
- 1 pound ground beef (85/15 or higher)
- 1/4 chopped fresh (or frozen) onion (save a little to top your sandwich off with)
- 1/2 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. white vinegar
- 1/2 T. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t. beef boullion granules
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- Chop onion.
- Brown your onion and ground beef together, making sure to break up that ground beef as you go in to as small of pieces as you can.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and simmer for atleast 30 minutes. The liquids will soak in to the hamburger meat as it simmers.
- Lay your mixture on a hamburger bun and top the loose meat with all of the regular fixins’ that you would a hamburger. This sandwich does have a sweetness to it, so keep that in mind as you’re throwing those toppings on.
Check out more delicious recipes!