Your 2017 Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Amalgamate, Mar 22, 2017.

Moderators: TiggerToo
  1. Amalgamate

Amalgamate Active Member Trader Group

Temperatures went from 22F to 84F within 2 days, the bees are buzzing, early flowers are blooming, and I'm ready to plant! So let's talk gardening. What are your plans for 2017? Anything planted yet?

I have some cool weather crops growing in the yard -- radishes, kohl rabi, mustard greens, cabbage, lettuce, sugar snap peas, and oat grass (first year -- hoping to use oat straw and milky oats medicinally). I can't start seeds in the house anymore (high mold/mildew sensitivity), so I'm going to try mini greenhouses this week with plastic bottles.

Mostly, though, I'm weeding and mulching in preparation for planting summer crops. I'm on the border of zones 7/8 and usually plant around April 15.

2. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

I planted lettuce plants (romaine, green and red leaf) plants a few weeks ago. Our weather has been crazy and I've covered them a few nights when we've had a hard freeze. I am going to Ace Hardware this weekend to see if they have any onion sets and I will probably look at whatever other plants/seeds they have. I need to weed my remaining beds and am waiting for garden soil to go on sale at Home Depot so I can stock up. May head to the local farmer's market this weekend, too, and see if anyone has any plants.

Amalgamate likes this.
  3. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I planted some peas yesterday. I hope we are done with the hard freezes. We do really well on sweet potatoes. We buy the plants from the amish, 50 plants for around $4. We usually give a lot away and have potatoes until the new crop comes in. The asparagus should be coming any day and planted new ones from seeds last year that have already come and gone to seed.

Amalgamate and jastwins like this.
  4. crazybmb

crazybmb Well-Known Member Trader Group

I haven't been able to do any gardening last year but, with produce prices the way they are I decided to try again. Last week I planted:
    Yellow Pear Cherry Tomatoes
    Zucchini (green & yellow)
    Celery and Pineapples ( I started these Hydroponically)
    Everything has sprouted and I'm really excited
    Wish me Luck!

Amalgamate and bugweena like this.
  5. bugweena

Yellow Pear Cherry Tomatoes--JEALOUS! I haven't been able to find plants yet this year. These are my favorite salad tomatoes!

Amalgamate likes this.
  6. itsfun2save

itsfun2save Active Member Trader Group

Everyones spring garden sounds wonderful! I have roma and cherry tomatoes growing. I am growing in pots this year due to limited space. Just saw my first two tomatoes pop up on one of the plants! Have a homemade tomato sauce I want to make with some of the tomatoes. Also have a few cucumber plants going. Bought my first basil and rosemary plants this year too. Getting into using fresh herbs in cooking. Have fun gardening and happy harvesting!!

Amalgamate likes this.
  7. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I saw Aloe Vera with the Bonnie plants outside at Lowe's. I thought this was an indoor tropical plant. Since we don't live in the tropics, or deep south, I thought it was really weird. I might try it though.

I planted some broccolini plants and 2 tomato plants last week. My peas are about 6 inches tall and looked like the growth has stalled. Have many flowers coming. Next Sunday our local community college has an Earth Day thing. We always get our free heirloom tomato plants, free trees from the forestry dept, lots of seeds, and a few other freebies. Love it!!

Amalgamate and itsfun2save like this.
  8. Amalgamate

Amalgamate Active Member Trader Group

That Earth Day things sounds amazing! I love getting free plants and seeds.

Aloe Vera dies at the first hint of frost, so I'm surprised it wasn't with the houseplants too. Though it does well in a container outdoors and brought indoors for winter.

9. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

we will be away on vacation in June so we made arrangements with our neighbor who likes to garden that DH will till her soil with our rototiller to prepare her garden for planting, we will also buy some of the plants and she will tend to them. It's up to her to give us our share of the bounty before we leave and if there's more when we get back, we'll be happy for whatever we gather. We are blessed with fertile lands here such that whatever is planted grows abundantly.

bugweena likes this.
  10. crazybmb

bugweena likes this.
  11. crazybmb

I grew mine by seed.

bugweena likes this.
  12. crazybmb

I just added Blueberries and Mini Bell Peppers (not sure these will grow)

13. bugweena

I found some yellow pear tomatoes at my Walmart. I was able to find 3 pots that had 2 plants in each one! Some are in the raised beds and some are in the pots on the deck. I also planted some sweet banana peppers and green peppers. I found one pack of tomatoes at Roses of all places. Now I need to get my bean seeds in the ground. Have lettuce, kale and cucumber seeds going, too. We just had about 5-7 inches of rain so the ground should be good and saturated. Today it is in the 80's so it will dry out quickly I guess.

Moderators: TiggerToo