You guys are gonna be impressed!

W

wannabefree

This may not be the exact spot for this but didn't see a better one.....

If you are like me you have a ton of pork & beans in your pantry. Well I am making a Mexican Crockpot dish for dinner and needed some black beans or pinto beans or something to add to the layers. I didn't have any so I am using a can of pork & beans THOROUGHLY RINSED to get some of the flavor out. I think with all the strong flavors in the dish we won't notice that the little beans are from the P & B can!!!

Isn't that cool?:wavehi:

H

hopeky94

Cool beans, Janet-- LOL!! I don't care for the flavor of pork & beans personally, so I'd love to hear if there's any remnant of the tastes in your dish...

Okay, now you gotta share the recipe for the Mexican Crockpot dish you're making! I loooooove good Mexican food!! ;)

C

Cynthiabutterfly

I rinse mine (a little) and add them to chili. We like ours spicy, and a little tomato flavor from the beans isn't even noticed by DH who hates Pork & Beans.

I like to add a little BBQ sauce, or mustard/brown sugar to mine, and they taste like baked beans. YUMMY!

W

wannabefree

I'm so excited about this find. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it sooner. I have so many cans of them and don't make baked beans as a dish very often. They were completely fine in the Mexican dish.

I will be doing this a lot. What a great idea to add them to chili! I will be doing that too. The P & B tend to run cheaper than the other beans when they have a good sale.

M

megcellent

Cool beans, Janet-- LOL!! I don't care for the flavor of pork & beans personally, so I'd love to hear if there's any remnant of the tastes in your dish...

Okay, now you gotta share the recipe for the Mexican Crockpot dish you're making! I loooooove good Mexican food!! ;)

I agree ... will you share the recipe?

W

wannabefree

It was a crockpot dump-and-go kind of recipe. Or should I say NON recipe.

Anyway I threw in some raw chicken tenderloins, some leftover salsa, stewed tomatoes, Rotels etc. (whatever is in the fridge), diced onion and bell pepper (in the freezer from my mini garden) about 1/3 pkg of Taco Seasoning and then the 1/2 can of rinsed Pork and Beans (cause that's all I had). Cook on low for about 4 hours. Stir in a tablespoon or two of that cheap Target sour cream.
I served half of it last night over yellow rice. I was planning to put it over noodles for something different but realized I have 10 coupons for No Yokes and DIDN'T HAVE ANY in the pantry...duh.

The other half: Tonight I am shredding the chicken tenderloins and putting them in corn tortillas rolled up with shredded cheese and baking for quick chicken enchiladas.

Making you hungry?????

S

scottiegazelle

I think I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow!