yogurt

N

Niddi

has anyone tried to make homemade yogurt with the Lactaid milk that has been so cheap lately? I would love to try this to use up some of my milk but not sure that it would work for this. Getting tired of pudding and love the greek yogurt but don't want to waste so much time and effort unless I know it would work. Thanks for any input.

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
Found this recipe...I don't particulary use lactaid milk...or make my own yogurt so I am not sure how it would taste...but a lot of articles say it is fine!

How to Make Lactose-free Yogurt | eHow.com

Instructions.

Things You'll Need:

4-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup or bowl
1 quart lactose-free milk (1 packet)
Microwave oven
Candy thermometer
Freeze-dried yogurt starter
Small cup
Spoon
Electric yogurt maker

Pour 4 cups of lactose-free milk into a microwave-safe glass measuring cup or bowl.
Heat the lactose-free milk in a microwave oven. Use the microwave's high setting for about 7 minutes or until the milk reaches 180 degrees F.
Cool the milk to 108 to 112 degrees F. This may take one or two hours, depending on the ambient temperature in the kitchen. If you let it cool a little too much, re-warm it briefly in the microwave oven until the milk reaches the proper temperature.
Combine freeze-dried yogurt starter with some of the milk. Dissolve one 5g packet of yogurt starter with a small quantity of the milk in a separate cup. Use a spoon to combine them well, and then stir the combination into the larger bowl of warm milk.
Pour the milk and starter mixture into the incubation container of an electric yogurt maker.
Incubate the yogurt until it reaches the desired firmness. Do this by following the instructions provided with your yogurt maker. Incubation time will be about five to six hours. Refrigerate to stop incubation.

N

Niddi

Thanks Phaedraval,

sounds complicated but may be worth the trouble expecially since I have all this almost free milk. Will have to find a way to do it without a yogurt maker though. Off I go into google land to browse. Thanks for the info, just wasn't sure if lactaid free milk could be made into yogurt. Your answer is much appreciated.

TiggerToo

Mod Of The Month Oct. 2011<br>Has A Heart Of Pure
Trader Group
Hi Niddi!

I am sure there are probably easier recipes out there, but you can definitely make yogurt with lactose free milk!!

I wish you luck!:goodluck7: