Will someone tell me how to cook cubed steak

A

anaj06

I got 2 cubed steaks yesterday for $.59 (BOGO and then I had a winetag for beef).

Can someone please tell me the best way to cook them. I am going to make mash pototoes to go with them.

I was thinking about this recipe from coupons.com but is this the best way to go?

Cooks.com - Recipe - Cube Steak And Mushroom Gravy

Thanks for any help...I am horrible in the kitchen but couldn't let such cheap meat go to waste.

everprincess

(\(\ Energizer Bunny - ( =':') She Keeps Going!
Trader Group
I make mine in the crockpot with a white based gravy. I heat a frying pan on medium heat and drop some Olive Oil in the pan. While it's heating I take a mixing bowl-mix flour, salt, pepper and whatever else you want (I'm a Essence girl myself). Coat the cube steak in the mixture then add to the pan. Fry on both sides until just brown. Then I layer the cube steak in a crockpot. Melt some butter in the same pan you browned the cube steak add a little flour. Mix until thicken to make a rue. Then add some milk and whisk until thicken (make as much of the gravy as you need depending on the amount of cube steak. I also add pepper to the gravy. Pour over cube steak and set on low. Cook all day. Sorry I don't have exact measurements but I just eyeball everything. It's great with mashed potatoes and green beans. Hope this helps.

A

Ajack

I got 2 cubed steaks yesterday for $.59 (BOGO and then I had a winetag for beef).

Can someone please tell me the best way to cook them. I am going to make mash pototoes to go with them.

I was thinking about this recipe from coupons.com but is this the best way to go?

Cooks.com - Recipe - Cube Steak And Mushroom Gravy

Thanks for any help...I am horrible in the kitchen but couldn't let such cheap meat go to waste.

Chicken fry them.
Mix 1 egg with a little milk
Flour with salt and pepper
Cookig oil

Get oil hot. Dip meat in flour, egg, back in flour. Cook in hot oil till crispy!
That is a great deal for cube steak!

A

anaj06

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have time for a crockpot today but maybe next time I can try them that way.

Chicken frying them sounds good!

A

Ajack

I will try them in the crock pot too! That sounds so good. Thanks.

C

cintinative

My husband's mom cooks them in a skillet with a can of stewed tomatoes. You could add more green peppers too if you want. You probably want to sear the meat first to get it a nice crust, then cook it in the tomatoes until done.

C

cintinative

Not quite the same but here is a similar type use of cube steak I found online:
Vicki's Skillet Cube Steak

Ingredients:

• 4 cube steaks
  • salt,pepper,garlic powder
  • small can of tomato sauce
  • small can and a half of water
  • chopped cilantro(as much as you like)
  • slivered jalapeno(as much as you like)
Preparation:

First salt and pepper steaks and brown in a little oil. Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer over low heat until sauce has a gravy-like consistency, about 20 minutes.
Shared by Vicki

C

cearhart

I pan fry them with bbq sauce then serve with mac and cheese. That's my favorite way to cook them.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I would do chicken fried steak also. My husband loves it. I just saw on a cooking show that if you dip the steaks in flour first, then the egg mix, then the flour again, and let them sit 20 minutes or so afterward it said it will make the batter stuff stick better.

Here's another great recipe site to check out - alrecipes.com If you need more specific recipes for chicken fried steak look it up on one of the sites.

Let us know how it turns out and what a deal you got on that meat!!

U

uummm

My husband loves cubed steak and since it is cheap when on sale I seem to make it fairly often...Loves gravy and taters with it... I make it with brown gravy though. I am also about as little mess as possible so I do it all on the stove-but it could be transfered to a crock pot or to a oven.
I just started cutting mine in 1 inch strips though before that I just did them the way they were...
Dredge meat in seasoned flour (flour, S+P add whatever you want beyond that)
put 3T Olive oil in pan and brown steaks also add a sliced onion if you want. When steaks are brown add some of that seasoned flour to left over oil and cook for 5 minutes. Then add a few cups of liquid, this can be broth (I usually use beef) or wine. Put the top on an let them simmer for 40 minutes at least. If you dont they can be tough. If someone has some sort of adversion to onions, you will find that they will disappear. But you don't have to use them at all if allergies are an issue.

A

anaj06

Thank guys...my steaks were so good tonight. I ended up doing a mixture of several peoples suggestions. I salted and peppered them and then dipped them in flow and cooked them using some olive oil. I then made the brown gravy mix and poured it over the steaks. I then let simmer on low for 2 hours. They were so tender!

Thanks for everyone's ideas...I am slowly learning to cook:)

G

gem7

Then add a few cups of liquid, this can be broth (I usually use beef) or wine. Put the top on an let them simmer for 40 minutes at least.

Oooh, I will have to try that! Sounds good. Ummm, do you use white wine or red wine? DH loves to cook with wine, I like to drink it! Maybe I could give up a cup if it the result is worth it!