Who went to the Farmers Market this week? What did you get?

Discussion in 'Farm To Table' started by bugface711, Jun 6, 2013.

Moderators: JoesWife
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, with a short season our farmers market is just getting started -- and prices are steep here since they raised the booth rate so high with a move downtown several years ago.

Couldn't bring myself to pay $4 for a head of cabbage and tomatoes (grown in a greenhouse or they wouldn't be ripe yet) were $5 a pound so I passed on them, as well.

Bought a very small bunch of fresh carrots for $3.50 -- OUCH! But that will probably be our splurge on local carrots for the year, unless I can get a deal in a neighboring city.

Couldn't resist a bag of small onions -- mixed red and yellow. They'll be REALLY strong with all the sulfur we've got in our soil here, but still they are fresh... $5 for 5 pounds.

Another booth had two teeny, tiny little zucchini for $1, paid $3.50 for a pound of snow peas and bought a couple larger red onions with tops still attached for $1 each. They tossed in a small handful of basil for free.

Think the best deal of the day was the fresh squeezed huckleberry lemonade! It was HOT today.

2. Gardencook

Went a bit overboard at the farm stand this week, but we can't go every few days since it is an hour away...

The stand has over-ripe produce baskets that are $3.50 each. It is a great deal if you can use it quickly enough. They stick a plastic grocery bag in a one-peck basket then pull the bag out for you to take home when you buy it.

Picked through the pears today and pulled out a few that have a bit more life in them to eat later. The rest went in the slow cooker for pear sauce. Didn't even have to peel or seed them, as the Foley mill will take care of that hassle. :)

Picked through the peaches to save a few good ones, then the rest went into a large peach crisp which is dessert tonight.

Picked through the tomatoes, sliced them and stuck them in a pan with peppers, onions and celery to roast. That became tomato lentil soup for tonight's dinner.

The basket of nectarines can hold for a couple more days.

In addition to the tomato soup, we had quinoa stuffed zucchini for dinner tonight. Of course, the zucchini was fresh from the farm stand.

Still have some really sweet Montana cherries and an eggplant to use, along with some fresh corn.

Not local, but they had a good deal on lemons, as well, and I got some Portobello mushrooms on markdown at the grocery store. They will become mushroom and lentil burgers tomorrow night. That's why lentils went in the tomato soup tonight -- more than one meal from one pan of beans.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    jastwins likes this.
  3. Gardencook

Now I've done it! :rolleyes:

Had to run an errand so dropped by the last night of farmers market with a live band. Found a green cabbage the size of a horse's head and for $3 couldn't resist. Now I HAVE to make sauerkraut.

Then as if that wasn't bad enough, I can't make decisions when life is driving me up the wall. They had a beautiful head of red cabbage beside it that was only a little smaller and BEAUTIFUL. So for $2 more I bought it as well.

Just bought a small head of cabbage at the Grocery Outlet on the way home from Boise on Sunday. Now I wish I'd used the WHOLE head in the beef, potato and cabbage stew for dinner tonight instead of saving back a third of it for coleslaw. :confused:

In addition to the cabbage, I bought a couple monster zucchinis for bread and a nice looking English-style cucumber.

Restrained myself there, but then stopped at the grocery store for celery, green onions and parsley only to find the produce guy putting out markdown bell peppers. That store doesn't normally have great markdowns and the fellow said he doesn't normally put anything out, but got bored tonight. Think our next few days are planned out.

jastwins likes this.
  4. Gardencook

Seems like this thread needs to be brought back to life. Anyone picking up fresh produce at markets this season?

We FINALLY found the farm outside of town that sells freshly picked produce. The owners come to the market each Wednesday, but sell out fast and it seems I always forget it is market day until it is too late.

Figured out this morning that we've taken the wrong country road in the past. Went there today, because I had a discount card offering $10 off when we bought more than $20 in produce. It was about to expire and we COULD NOT let that happen.

Picked up:
    13 ears of extra sweet corn
    Two pounds of green beans
    Five pound bag (I'm sure it weighed more) new red potatoes
    Two pounds of fresh carrots
    Three large red onions (they're supposed to be sweet, but generally aren't with our soil around here)
    Two huge zucchini -- for bread and muffins
    One head of red cabbage

They were out of beets. :(

I've probably left something off the list, but that is most of it.

I didn't add up things in my head as I went, but the total came to exactly $20.50 when the woman totaled it. She was pretty astounded that I could get that close simply by guessing. She apparently gave us half off, because she said the total was $10.25 after discount.

Green is Gold likes this.
  5. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

Went to my Aunt's local farmer's market in Vero Beach Fl this past weekend. I got a couple of air plants, some cauliflower and broccoli but I don't they they were local. Got a couple of local limes and lemons.

Moderators: JoesWife