Wheat Bread... Help me learn to like it

VivaciousJewelz

Mod of the Month March 2011 Plays with Fire
Trader Group
So, I've made the switch to whole wheat bread... Had to, doctor's orders. Made my regular peanut butter and jelly sandwich yesterday and couldn't finish it b/c I hated the bread so much. It was dry and the flavor was not good. I NEED to make this work though, so what can I either do with or put on the bread that will make it more palatable? I need something with a LOT of flavor to override the flavor of the bread and also something with some moisture to it as the bread is DRY.

Alternatively, if someone can suggest a brand of wheat bread that I may like (can't remember what the brand I bought was called- I just remember that I bought it from Trader Joes), I am open to suggestions!

Green is Gold

Member of the Month 6/12 - Queen Of Circle Driving
Staff member
Trader Group
Many companies make "Soft 100% whole wheat" versions.
Ones that pop to mind are Nature's Own, Pepperidge Farm and Sara Lee.
I buy Schwebel's, but I think they are only available in my area.

Going the soft version first, instead of full on dark and dense, might be easier on your taste buds.

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Nature's Own is awesome! My husband does not like wheat bread...but he love this stuff! I bought it because I got tired of eating white bread, which is what I buy for everyone else in the house. He tried it...and really liked it! It's sooooo soft and wonderful!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Many companies make "Soft 100% whole wheat" versions.
Ones that pop to mind are Nature's Own, Pepperidge Farm and Sara Lee.
I buy Schwebel's, but I think they are only available in my area.

Going the soft version first, instead of full on dark and dense, might be easier on your taste buds.

Carrying on what GIG said what you will probably want to go with is WHOLE soft WHITE wheat. That isn't the same thing as bleached or unbleached white flour.

Traditional whole wheat bread is generally made with hard red wheat. (It has been popular due to its high protein content -- i.e. gluten, which is now on the outs with a lot of special diets.) There are also soft and hard white wheat flours. White wheat is a little lower in protein and consequently gluten.

Whole wheat pastry flour is finely ground and made from white wheat, as opposed to whole wheat flour that is generally red wheat. The soft breads GIG is talking about are generally made from WHITE wheat flours and are often squishy just like Wonder Bread. You might have to find them at the regular grocery store, as I suspect to keep them soft they might need preservatives. Don't know if your doctor has forbidden them, as well. :dontknow1:

Be sure to look for a label that says 100 percent whole wheat, not just some generic label like "wheat" or "multigrain." By law those can be made of mostly all-purpose white flour with a little bit of whole grain added. There are "100 percent whole grain" WHITE wheat loaves, made with whole white wheat flour. You just have to know how to read through the deceptive labeling.

Bread baking is very popular in our region and a lot of people grind their own wheat to make it. A lot of women claim their families will only eat bread made from whole white wheat, not whole red wheat.