What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

Good morning ladies. I had to sign in to check on @vickib50. If anyone knows or Vicki if you can let us know . . . Ugh! I will be so glad when this hurricane season is over. I always hear that even though the season goes through November that it's essentially over when you get a cool front and we have had that so hoping we are done. If ONLY those storms could send all that water to some of the places where it's desperately needed.

I'm glad to see some posts are still going on here. It's sad for me to see the thread die out after all this time.

Re the sweet potatoes, when the girls were little and Hubs started taking them with him when he went to work in his pastures, he would bring some sweet potatoes with him (plus Cheetos and Capri Suns I found out later - which I almost never bought or let the girls have), Then he would make a fire and let the sweet potatoes cook - not sure if they were wrapped or not. He would have a squeeze bottle of margarine (which I can't believe he ever ate) in his cooler and they would eat them with that out in the fields. They have a lot of happy memories of cooking out like that while Mom got a break from all of them back at home.

@Cathy - SO sorry to hear you have been dealt another injury!!! I wish I could help in some way but I can always listen if you want to send a message.

Re the ads - they may not be as noticeable if you are used to them or to those who are not online very much but I spend several hours a day online and pay for my ad blocker and appreciate not having to see so many ads.

Geez @XUfan - you are definitely taking your time to get healed back up - I am sorry about that too! My goodness, collectively we are all having a difficult time with various health and other issues!

So cooking, not much going on here either but I did make 4 loaves of that fabulous bran bread yesterday. Hubs got home just after I took them out of the oven and took a loaf that was still hot to the neighbors 2 houses down who had the entire contents of their house out on the road for trash pickup as it had been flooded. Today or tomorrow I will cook them and us both a roast with the usual (boring) vegetable accompaniments.

I'm a bit ashamed to say that between the 2 of us we polished off a loaf (well, they were smaller than normal since I made 4 instead of the usual 3 humongous ones!), I sent 1 to work today with Hubs (SO tired of him working ALL THE TIME) and I will probably send half of the last one home with middle daughter, who came down yesterday. And that will take care of most of the bread!

Take care ladies, heal up and feel better.

Oh 1 more thing, @LovetoSaveMoney - re your comment on stocking up - YES - it's really hard to change that mindset. For so long I cooked for us 5, plus planned for leftovers for Hubs' lunch the next day and an extra meal or 2 during the week and there were always extra kids hanging around too - either my 3 nieces, the 2 neighbor girls or one of the neighbor boys. I have 2 big Circulon pots and I would use one or both nearly every day. Now Hubs is bugging me to get rid of them and I'm not ready to yet. But I am making progress and the freezers are looking good.

LovetoSaveMoney, Sherri1480 and Cathy like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

@3timesoccermom, so happy to see you post. I now understand what you mean about cooking for less people. Now that the twins are in college and most nights it is just D3 and me, I struggle with portion size and still end up cooking for 5 instead of 2 or 3. Leftovers are great for me and I have not cooked as much as I thought I would. One night we had tuna fish sandwiches since D3 is the only kid that will enjoy and eat it with me. This week, I will plan a few dinners since D3 has 2 cross country races. There are jars of sauce and lots of pasta, so that will be on the menu. My store has barilla sauce on sale and I will see if I can get Barilla pesto using my coupon and sale might make it free. We have enough red sauce since I stocked up in August. Also, I have over a dozen pasta pouches, mostly free, and they will be used up this week. Also, more sweet potatoes for us too.

@vickib50 posted midday yesterday and I am praying for her and that she is safe. Where she is living is not a place she could stay during the storm, so I hope she is at a shelter. The newscasts show how bad it is just with the outerbands of the hurricane and it is horrendous. Still praying for all those in FL and that they stay safe.

Pasta will be the menu tonight with leftover chicken cutlets.

3. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Renee...nice to see you posting!

Yes, it's taking forever for my neck to heal. I don't know why...and I really don't know what I did to it. I guess I just need to be patient! We're supposed to go on our trip to the Smokies next weekend. The whole trip hinges on what the doctor says on Wednesday, and what the weather is like. There's a chance that Irma will make it's way to Tennessee by mid-week. We'll see.

This year, I've decided not to stock up like I have in the past. We're not doing as many "big family dinners" and now that school has started, I'm not watching the grandkids during the week. So there's no reason to stock up on so many things. Because I was housebound for about 2 weeks, I realized just how much food we really have on hand. I'm going to focus on just buying necessities for the next month or so, and see if we can use up some of what we have on hand. I honestly think we have enough food to make actual meals for about 2 months!! LOL!

So, last night's idea of shrimp and rice didn't happen. Hubby noticed how perfect the weather was, and wanted to grill burgers. I made roasted potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms.

Tonight, I think we're going to dig through the leftovers in the fridge. There's a lot there!!

4. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Great to hear from you Renee! You didn't mention how your health was going...any changes?

I read about all the weather conditions across the country and realize how lucky I am to be in Nebraska...it's unbelievable to read of all the havoc Mother Nature is throwing at so many.

As far as dinner goes, I have finally adapted to cooking for one and if the item I want for dinner is larger than my appetite can handle, I just eat the same thing several days in a row, or freeze it. I got a great buy on a frozen turkey breast for 99 cents a lb the other day and it will feed me for almost a week. I love turkey so that's not a problem...

I have two distant family members who live in Florida who are in their 80's and decided to stay. Drives us all crazy but they are adamant. Their house is fortified so that is something but still....I too worry about Vicki...that RV is not the place to be!

5. XUfan

Cathy, before I met my husband, I had gone from a house with basically 4 adults (myself, my two teenage kids, and their father), to living alone in an apartment. I was trying to get out of debt, so I worked about 70 hours per week, working 2 jobs. The one thing I insisted on, was that I didn't work on Friday at either one. So, on Fridays, I'd cook for the week! I'd usually make a big casserole of some sort, and a big pot of soup. That way, I'd have something to eat every day, and not have to think about cooking when I got home. The part-time job actually provided dinner, but it was only 4 nights a week. Anyway, I totally understand eating the same thing for several days!

Tonight, I think I'll make some oven fried chicken strips for Hubby, and some tilapia for myself. I'm still hungry for those peas and mushrooms I wanted the other night, so I'll probably make those, and a Pasta Roni or Knorr noodle side to go with it all.

LovetoSaveMoney, Cathy and Sherri1480 like this.
  6. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

Dinner will be turkey quesadillas and jalapeno poppers on the grill.

3timesoccermom and Sherri1480 like this.
  7. XUfan

BTW...I still don't get those peas for dinner. Hubby thought that the leftover black beans and rice sounded good with the chicken and fish. And...I was a good little wife, and drove to the next town to get fresh corn on the cob (it's the last week for fresh from the farm here!).

8. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had Taco Salads :)

9. jastwins

Last night, I took some hot chicken sausage from the freezer and cook them in a fry pan with some onions and olive oil. I heated up marinara sauce from a jar and used 2 Barilla ready pouches and that was dinner for me and D3. I had leftover sauce and sausage so I made another 8 ounce pasta for her lunch today. Most of the Barilla pouches were either free or .39 cents after coupons

10. XUfan

Busy day today. I've got a doctor appointment in an hour or so. Then a few errands. Then I'm picking up my granddaughter from school (it's a surprise!). So, I haven't even thought about dinner. Maybe I should text Hubby to see if he has any thoughts. We're leaving on Friday for a weekend away, and I really don't want a lot of leftovers in the fridge. But...I also don't want to spend money on eating takeout, when we'll be eating restaurant food all weekend.

11. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

Xufan I know how you feel about going on vacation and not wanting food leftover. My husband laughs about me trying to use up everything before we leave on vacation.

Tonight is pork chops on the grill with zucchini and summer squash also on the grill. I probably will make some rice as another side dish.

12. jastwins

@XUfan I hope your doctor's visit goes well. LIke you, I need to eat out of my freezer and not shop too much. There are some sales this week, but the only meat I will buy is ground beef and it is on sale at King Kullen. Tonight I found burgers and hotdogs and we had those with buns and zucchini as a side.

13. XUfan

LoveToSaveMoney...I'm glad I'm not alone! My daughter does the same thing when she and her husband go on trips. Our trips are much shorter, but I still don't want a bunch of food in the fridge when we leave. Besides, who wants to eat leftovers when they get home? LOL! My sister and her husband go on several 3-week trips every year. She makes sure there's nothing in the fridge when they leave too. She said they usually have eggs for dinner the night before they go...and they pack sandwiches with what's in the fridge, then stop for a picnic lunch along the way. She also makes soup and freezes it, so they only have to pick up a loaf of bread and salad fixings on their way home. She's much more organized than I am!! Let's see...today is garbage day, so I'll toss everything I know we won't eat tonight before the truck gets here today. That's my plan!

Jasmine, my doctor's appointment went well, thank you. He said I've got 60% more mobility, and 75% less pain (judging by the look on my face when I turned my head several directions! LOL!). He gave me another round of Prednisone, and told me to cut the muscle relaxers down to just a bedtime dose...and I can even leave that out if I don't think I need it. I have to go back in two weeks for another check. Oh...and he said my BP is a little high. He wants to check it when I'm not in pain, so he can see what it's normally like. And then he said those dreaded words...."you might want to think about losing some weight." Yikes!! He's supposed to make me feel better!! LOL!!! Just kidding. I've known him for over 30 years...when he was a family practice resident at the hospital where I worked. I really like him. And he was sweet about saying, "you know, just lose 10 lbs, and you'll see a difference." I told him I was thinking in the 30-40 range...but I'll start with 10! LOL!! I also told him I won't start until we get back from our trip next week!

OK...so saying all of that...we went out to dinner last night. We went to a Chinese place that we both like. It was yummy!! As for tonight...I have no idea!

14. XUfan

I decided to go with spicy garlic shrimp over rice...and I'm making those peas with mushrooms!!! It's really an easy dinner. Ready in 30 minutes!

LovetoSaveMoney and Sherri1480 like this.
  15. jastwins

I defrosted 2 small chicken breasts and made chicken fried rice. Too make it fast, I used Minute rice, chopped up 2 carrots from the refrigerator and used a can of peas from the pantry. I added spices, sesame oil and soy sauce that I had home. It came out great.

LovetoSaveMoney and Sherri1480 like this.
  16. XUfan

Jasmine, it sounds like rice and peas was our theme last night! LOL! I had been so hungry for those peas...and they were as good as I remembered. I really get upset when I'm hungry for something, and then it doesn't seem as good when I finally get to eat it. I saved the rest for my lunch today!

Tonight, it's going to be something simple like hot dogs/veggie dogs and fries. Or we might grab some take-out. Honestly, if I had frozen pizzas in the freezer, we'd have that! LOL!

17. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

We're having chicken stir fry tonight with rice. I make it when I want to use up all the fresh veggies and it's so easy.

18. XUfan

Hubby just called and said he's got to stop at one more store before he can clock out for the day. Luckily, it's the closest store to our house (30 minutes, which is better than the one he started at this morning...90 minutes!). So, I told him to think of what kind of takeout sounds good tonight! LOL! I'm starting vacation early!

19. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Publix had fresh, hot food in the deli! I had chicken tenders, mac/cheese, and carrots. He even threw in a King's Hawaiian roll. Oh, who knew it could be so good!

20. jastwins

Tonight, D1 and I went food shopping and stopped at Panera in the same shopping plaza. I had a bowl of turkey chili, chips and diet Pepsi and D3 had cheddar and broccoli soup and a flatbread sandwich with turkey with iced tea. D3 asked for a dessert and I got her a pumpkin muffin. I had a bit of it and boy, was it good.