What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

@Cathy your post reminded me of a ravioli bake I'd been wanting to try. I (or I should say Hubs) got the last of the homemade ravioli (so sad to see the end of it) out of the freezer, along with 9 large meatballs, put them both in a pan and put spaghetti sauce over, then Parmesan, grated Mozzarella and basil, parsley and oregano, covered with foil and put it in the oven. Hopefully it will be edible. If not, it was only 9 large ravioli and 9 meatballs and the ravioli were past their prime anyway.

Hubs picked up some chicken drums today so I also seasoned them and they are also in the oven. I'll have chicken and leftover navy beans and Hubs can have the ravioli for dinner. FIL will be happy to have chicken for his lunch tomorrow as he loves dark meat.

LovetoSaveMoney and Cathy like this.
  2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

We ended up going up the road to the Mexican restaurant for dinner last night. He had steak fajitas and I had shrimp fajitas. Best meal I've had all week!!!

Since we've blown the budget this weekend, I am absolutely sure we're eating at home tonight! As I typed this, I remembered that our nephew is still in town on leave, and it's Hubby's last day off while he's in town, so they might try to reschedule last night's boys night for tonight. Either way...I don't know what I'm cooking yet. I'll see what sounds good to Hubby when he wakes up.

LovetoSaveMoney likes this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

Hello ladies. Bad news is I am completely off my feet for a while. It's a long story.

Good news is my youngest came in and surprised me yesterday - she is going to spend a few days with us before she and my 2 other girls set off for a big adventure - driving to Montana for a vacation. Yes I am excited for them and so gratified that my girls actually love spending time with each other but I am also worried. Dang adventurous kids. ;)

Between the 2 of them Hubs and my girl will do burgers tonight. Last night was leftover chicken, beans and mac and cheese.

LovetoSaveMoney and jastwins like this.
  4. XUfan

Renee, your girls' trip sounds like fun! But I also understand your worry. I sometimes think I worry more than anyone else! LOL!!

I hope you start feeling better soon!

I got busy and forgot to thaw something for dinner, so I grabbed a chicken breast from the freezer, and it's thawing in a bowl of water. It won't take long. I'll check with Hubby when he gets home to see how he wants it cooked. I'll have tilapia, which thaws so quickly! And I have no idea what sides we're having.

I'm in one of those moods where everything is hacking me off! I know what's causing it, and I just need to stop trying to fix the problem and just live with the fact that 90% of the people I have to deal with are slackers! They're making me crazy!

5. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

Dinner tonight is some out of the freezer, turkey croquettes I made a few months ago with the gravy plus some glazed carrots and some kind of potato.

3timesoccermom and jastwins like this.
  6. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

Think I'm going to do a tuna casserole or a chef salad since I didn't pull anything out.

7. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Renee I hope your leg heals quickly.
    Yesterday, I made sesame ginger Lawrys marinade on boneless chicken thighs in the oven. We had cauliflower and spinach salad as sides.

Tonight I made a sausage ring on the grill, string beans boiled with red potatoes and spinach salad as sides.

8. XUfan

So, I'm reading the posts from yesterday. Between LovetoSaveMoney and STallerico's posts, I got really hungry for tuna croquettes!! LOL!! I might make a small batch later this week...after weigh in! LOL!

On Sunday, Hubby grilled country ribs, and still has plenty leftover. He said they'd be fine as a leftover one night this week, so that's what he's having for dinner. I bought some marinated salmon, so I'll grab it from the freezer for myself. I've been hungry for a curried vegetable casserole that I make, so I'll probably make it, and some parsley potatoes.

9. 3timesoccermom

Making lasagna tonight (by request) with the help of my girl and also plan to bake a pan of chicken boobs and one of legs. That will mean the main course will be done for the next several days and I also hope to freeze some of the cooked chicken breast for her to take back with her after her trip.

I made a big salad last night and will roast some vegetables - not sure which ones yet - when we have the oven on. I have potatoes, asparagus and cabbage that I can recall right off the bat.

10. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

I'm taking the easy way out and making stir fry again over rice. We've just had so much going on I'm looking for easy lately. Plus I find in the summer my menus change, there's certain things that just go better in the summer and certain things for winter meals lol

3timesoccermom likes this.
  11. XUfan

I totally agree that I cook different meals in the summer and winter. Although, every now and then, I get hungry for a big pot of lentil soup, even if it's 90 degrees outside!

Well, Hubby, his brothers, his nephew, and probably some friends, are going to try one more time for a boys night. They want to go to the local drag strip (race track), because it's cheap to get in tonight. If nobody can get off work in time to go, they hope to go somewhere else. They're not good at making these plans, so who knows what will happen. If they go, I'll be eating alone...and he'll tell me I should go out and get something to eat. But I really hate leaving the house just to go get a sandwich, when there's so much food in the house already! So, I'll probably just dig through the fridge for leftovers. If they don't go...he and I will go out to eat, or get takeout.

12. JenDwane

JenDwane New Member

Noodles

13. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

I'm trying to make apple bourbon pulled pork, it seemed easy enough lol. It was a pouch for the crockpot and I can't remember what the package of pork said it was but one of the ladies at work assured me it was fine for pulled pork. I had a stressful day at work and I don't feel like cooking side dishes though so I might just say chips and some already cut up carrots are the sides.

14. 3timesoccermom

Hubs got a rotisserie chicken and I had that and asparagus and he had leftover lasagna.
    I made a double batch of brownies yesterday - from a boxed mix - and they were really great. I added wheat germ (do this with all baked goods), semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut, pecans and Heath bits. I left 1/3 of them plain for Hubs and FIL, sent some with the girls for their trip and froze some. I also sent a huge portion of the lasagna for them to have for their dinner tonight before they all leave from middle daughter's. My b-day is in a few days and this is the first time in my life my kids won't even be in the same state as me!

15. jastwins

Tonight the girls and I had Chicken cutlets, with Uncle Bens Rice and corn. Crankie asked for a meatball parm hero, so I picked that up for him at our local pizzeria. He was very busy setting up things for the twins' graduation party on Saturday.

16. 3timesoccermom

Pretty sure we are getting something out tonight - maybe Chicken Express.

17. LovetoSaveMoney

LovetoSaveMoney Member

homemade pizza for us, used the pulled pork from the other night with bbq sauce and roasted red peppers.

18. jastwins

Large amounts of food consumed today at the graduation party. We had 2 3 ft heros , seafood salad , seafood fra diablo, baked clams , penne ala vodka, chicken francaise, veal parm , eggplant parm, filet of sole francaise, sausage and peppers.
    Desserts were cake ordered by my mom and sister, cream puffs, rainbow cookies. Croatian walnut loaf, pies, wonderful cupcakes from my neighbor, lemon bars baked by my sister.

19. XUfan

I'm a couple of days behind!

Friday, Hubby had pork chops and I had vegetarian smoked sausage with sauerkraut. I roasted some red potatoes, and we also had green beans and corn on the cob.

Saturday, I suggested that we go out to eat. Hubby shocked me (not a good shock) when he said he wanted to go to Golden Corral. I'm not a big fan of the all-you-can-eat places, but I couldn't think of anything that sounded really good to me. The fact that they have shrimp on the weekend was what made me agree. I was less than thrilled with the selection when we got there. Nothing was hot, even when they were re-filling the pans. The shrimp was overcooked, but not nearly as much as the baked sweet potatoes. They were like mush inside! Luckily, he wasn't any more thrilled with his dinner than I was, so we won't be going back for a long time.

Tonight I'm going to make Mushroom Alfredo. It's an easy dinner, and it's something we both like.

20. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

Going to make Applewood BBQ Chicken tenders, Potato salad, Bird's easy sweet corn and Cornbread

If you are all wondering what Bird's easy sweet corn is

Bird's Easy Sweet Corn
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup butter
    1 (14 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained ( can use frozen corn)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
    1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients.
    2. Simmer uncovered and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes (if using frozen corn, heat covered for 10 minutes, then uncovered an additional 10 minutes).
    I don't add that much sugar only 1 TBSP and only 2 TBSP butter unless you are making 2 cans