What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

That's too bad about the shrimp dinner. It's such a letdown when you bring something home and it's not good. I've had that happen a few times recently, and it's not fun. At least, if you're at the restaurant, you can tell the waitress and get a replacement. At home, you're stuck!

Kroger (at least in my area) is celebrating National Ice Cream Day today by selling their 48 oz ice cream for .99 each, limit 5. Hubby loves ice cream, so I made sure to remember to go there this morning after he left for work. I figured I'd make a quick list and get some things I'll need when DIL and the girls come over Mon and Tues. We go through lots of produce because we munch on fresh fruit and veggies when they're here. As I was looking at the ad, I remembered that Hubby had asked if he could have hamburger gravy, biscuts, and fried potatoes some time soon. That sounds like a plan for tonight! He likes his hamburger gravy made like you make sausage gravy. Not sure what I'll have, but it will probably be something with tuna.

jastwins likes this.
  2. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

I will be doing sausage and potatoes with onion and bell pepper - in the oven. Will also either do broccoli, B. sprouts or asparagus. Not sure which yet.

jastwins likes this.
  3. XUfan

We're having the dinner I planned last night...hamburger gravy for him...tuna gravy for me, biscuits, and fried potatoes.

Yesterday, I went to Ty's game at 1:30. If they won it, they played again at 6...at a different field (still close to my house, though). Of course, they won!! Yay! So, I went home and got Hubby and we went to the 6pm game. And...they won!! That was the end of the season. And now I don't know what to do with all of my spare time...until they start Fall Ball in September! Anyway...we stopped at a Chinese buffet on the way home, so that was dinner last night.

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  4. 3timesoccermom

@XUfan - your grandson is lucky to have a grandmother that is really interested in something he loves so much.

jastwins likes this.
  5. XUfan

Awww! That's sweet of you to say. Honestly, I thought I was the one who was lucky to have a grandson who, at 17, makes sure I know when his games are, and wants me to be there...even when he doesn't need a ride!

Cathy and NoHio like this.
  6. 3timesoccermom

Well I changed my mind yesterday on the sausage because I still had some roasted chicken and tortillas left that I wanted to use so I made 6 more enchiladas and some refried beans.

So the sausage and potatoes will be tonight and I still plan to do them in the oven with some other vegetables once I decide which those will be.

7. 3timesoccermom

@jastwins - hopefully you back on US soil and if not, that you will be soon. I would like to hear as many details as you care to share about your trip but I bet you are glad to be home in the AC!

jastwins likes this.
  8. XUfan

I'm back on the quest to drop some of this weight. Yesterday, we were looking at some pictures that the children's librarian had taken at various functions, and let's just say it was an eye-opening experience! I have 9 weeks until our vacation, and I have a goal set for what I want to weigh at that time. I didn't set an unreachable goal this time, so I'm feeling good about it.

That said, tonight's dinner will be oven fried chicken for Hubby, baked fish (no coating) for me. Sides will be mashed potatoes, and roasted carrots. I'll have my fish on top of some lettuce...and either skip the potatoes or have a small amount (depending on what I eat when my granddaughters are here today).

jastwins likes this.
  9. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Back in NY. At my MIL s house and the AC is on. :) We have to travel to my other house , pick up the mail and the dog, Get Crankie 's truck, send 2 kids and a dog home in the van to Shelter and use Crankie s truck to take D1 to a dental appointment and head back to Shelter island Phew!

I cannot wait to go to work tomorrow so I can relax! Vacation s are too tiring

3timesoccermom likes this.
  10. 3timesoccermom

I really did laugh out loud Jasmine! Have a restful day tomorrow!

jastwins likes this.
  11. 3timesoccermom

Yesterday we picked up some smoked brisket to try tonight so that will make an easy dinner. Not sure on sides yet - could be roasted potatoes or maybe mac and cheese. I think Hubs has been wanting some.

Speaking of potatoes, we picked up some Green Giant golden potatoes at Sam's the other day ($6 for 10 lb) and they are THE BEST potatoes. Super thin skin, almost no blemishes and great flavor. I used them last night with sliced sausage and a chopped cabbage to make a big one-pan meal. I hadn't planned on adding the cabbage even though I used to do a mix of all 3 of those on the stove but thought why not. It was SO good. I will definitely do that again. I usually don't even like leftover potato dishes but this was still good warmed up for lunch.

I bet next time I want to get more of those potatoes Sam's won't have them.

12. XUfan

Jasmine...I know what you mean about vacations! When you get back, there are so many things that need your attention! Glad you're back, though!

Renee...I've gotten Green Giant red potatoes before, and they were great! Our Meijer store is where I got them. But they don't always have them. It's frustrating!

Tonight is an easy night. Smoked sausage on the grill for Hubby, and a vegetarian version for me (the brand is Field Roast...and they're great!). I'll do something simple for the sides...Knorr noodles and a frozen vegetable is what comes to mind right now.

13. 3timesoccermom

Dang the thread is dead today. I didn't cook because Hubs had to take his dad to an appointment and they were going to get dinner out since it was late in the day. I am going to have a grilled ham and cheese with mustard in a bit.

14. XUfan

You're right...the thread is dead today!

Last night, Hubby got home at 10:30. He called early enough that I just made myself something, and he had to fend for himself. He had gone out to lunch with one of the other guys, so he wasn't really hungry. Most days, he doesn't have time for lunch, so that was a treat for him!

As for tonight...he got home on time. We've been talking for 2 hours about our day, and 1000 other things. I just called one of the local pizza places for delivery! LOL!

judy27 likes this.
  15. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Tonight was chicken cutlets, mixed veggies and rice. Still tired after going back to work yesterday.

3timesoccermom and judy27 like this.
  16. judy27

judy27 Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

Butter....... I go through TONS of butter. I love butter. I constantly try to find different vehicles for my beloved butter!!!! When it is $1.99, I totally stock up. I need a good sale as my stock pile has dwindled!!!! I fill up the freezer when there is a good sale.

I used to use margarine...... EEK - because my mother always cooked with it. I have not used margarine in years!!!!!! Butter is the only way to go!!!!

3timesoccermom and jastwins like this.
  17. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Y'all are killing me with your butter prices! I'm talking about real butter, not margarine. If I find it on sale and have a great coupon, I'm still paying $3+ a pound. I see 1/2 pounds in the store for $3.69+. When I work hard to bake something special and spend for the ingredients, I do not substitute margarine for butter. Never. My stepmom used to make candy at Christmas. Loads of it Spent a fortune on ingredients. Then, sent me to the store for imitation vanilla flavoring. Go figure.

jastwins likes this.
  18. 3timesoccermom

Butter is $3 and up here and the only coupons I see are on brands that are even higher than that - like Challenge. We use quite a bit too but mostly in cooking because we really don't like the taste of olive oil for roasting, etc.

I grew up on margarine - oleo - but Hubs' family used butter and that's all we buy. We usually get it at Sam's where they sell it in 4 one-pound packs. I prefer the blocks rather than sticks because of less packaging and I have containers they fit in perfectly. And we never refrigerate our butter because that makes it hard. We have never had it spoil either.

@judy27 - it is soooooo good to see you here again! I sent you an email some time back!

Dinner - more of the brisket we got the other day. I hope to make some potato salad too with those fabulous little golden potatoes. I will bake them in the microwave and not even peel them because the skin is so thin.

The other night I boiled some and was stunned when Hubs did not peel them - he ate them as is. That is the first time I've ever known him to do that.

jastwins likes this.
  19. 3timesoccermom

Tell us in a reply which is your favorite. I like them all.

upload_2017-7-21_13-10-38.png

jastwins likes this.
  20. XUfan

Chips!!! I can't resist them!