What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I got some chicken and tilapia out of the freezer. We've got plenty of sides in the fridge that we can eat with them. It's actually my back-up plan! LOL! I have been cleaning floors (the rag and bucket method) for the past couple of hours, and I'm beat! I think since the kitchen is so perfectly clean, it would be a crime to mess it up cooking dinner (this will be my reasoning...what do you think?). I'm in the mood for Mexican take-out!

jastwins likes this.
  2. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

I successfully made my meatloaf last weekend because of the hints you guys gave me so I am back with another question: Last night a big storm knocked out my power and it was off for 17 hours. I opened my freezer once to grab something for a meal and now that it the freezer is back and working I checked it again. It seemed that the things, including the ice tray, were still hard but I did wait one half hour after the power came back before I checked things. I am hoping I can keep everything...lots of meat and tv dinners, cheese and margarine. I wish I'd checked immediately but it still seems to me that if the stuff had fully defrosted it wouldn't have been hard after only 1/2 hour Any thoughts? Should I err on the side of caution and toss it out or (hope, hope) do you think it will be ok?

3timesoccermom likes this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

Cathy if the stuff in the ice trays was still good and frozen I don't think you have a thing to worry about. No tossing - or at least if it were me I wouldn't be.

Must have been quite a storm!

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  4. XUfan

Cathy, I agree with Renee. I think the stuff in your freezer should be fine...especially since you said that the ice in the trays was solid.

As for our dinner last night, we didn't go with my Plan A (getting take-out) or my Plan B (chicken & tilapia with leftover sides). Hubby should have gotten off work at 5, but he called me at 6:30 and said he still wasn't on his way home. Then he called again at 7:30 and said he had no idea when he'd be home. He finally got home at 9:30. After the second call, I made a pouch of Bear Creek Tortilla soup.

5. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

@Cathy, I guess my response is too late. Just saw your post. I think I remember a long time ago the power company said if your freezer is fairly full and you don't open much, it should last 24-36 hours of an outage without damage to your foods.

6. 3timesoccermom

I hope to cook pork chops, black-eyed peas and either au gratin or mashed potatoes today. I'm also looking at a few desserts.

7. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today, Crankie will grill the steaks he brought out from the butcher. Last night we had chicken cutlets and tomato salad plus Carolina rice. I have to think of some sides and will head out to the store later today.

8. XUfan

I bought a rib-eye steak, a swordfish steak, some baking potatoes, and the spinach (for spinach/mushroom/onion casserole). Right now, I'm praying Hubby doesn't have to work late again, so we can grill out. There is no plan B...or C...today!

9. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Swiss steak made in the crock pot to avoid the heat, mashed potatoes, carrots and watermelon. Should be perfect for two nights' meals..

10. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today, we grilled shell steaks and I made string beans with small red potatoes. We finished up the tomato salad and had some Italian bread. Crankie had marinated steaks and the girls and I had steaks with no marinade. I just brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. They were delicious.

11. XUfan

It's pouring rain! Hubby is going in and out of the house, turning the steak and the swordfish! But we're sticking with Plan A!!

jastwins likes this.
  12. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had BBQ Chicken, Pasta salad and peas

3timesoccermom and jastwins like this.
  13. 3timesoccermom

I still have a good bit of roasted chicken left so I plan to make a small batch of chicken and rice. I'll saute some celery and onion to add to it and I may do asparagus and mushrooms for the sides. Maybe honey-glazed carrots too - have not made those for Hubs in ages.

Cathy likes this.
  14. XUfan

I honestly would love to get some sort of take-out tonight, but I really want to save the money for our trip in July...and I want to stick to my diet plan again this week. So...I'll be cooking something again. I think I'll go with chicken breast for Hubby, and tilapia or cod for me. We've got some spicy rice leftover from the other night when we had shrimp, and I'll make some roasted carrots to go with them.

15. XUfan

I do not know...and I do not care! LOL!! I think I'm going to cave, and just say we're getting take-out. I can't think of anything I really want to cook today. And when I texted Hubby earlier, and asked, "any thoughts on dinner?" He replied..."no." So he was no help at all!

I have a coupon for a free sub from my favorite sub place. It's not Hubby's favorite, but he'd be happy with take-out chicken, I'm sure. Or...we could get Mexican or Chinese. I honestly don't care! LOL!

16. 3timesoccermom

Enjoy your kitchen break!!

I think I will do ravioli tonight. I'm glad they made so much in November because I have very much enjoyed being able to pull some when I have not planned well but. Pretty sure I have only one big box left though.

We still have salad and can have that too.

17. XUfan

Renee, I forgot to mention that we can't even use leftovers as a choice tonight. My 13 year old granddaughter eats like a linebacker (but is built like a gymnast!). She didn't want me to cook anything for lunch today. She loves going through our leftovers! LOL! She, along with DIL and the little one emptied out several containers. Honestly, you should have seen her plates...yes plural! She had a piece of steak, roasted potatoes, peas, corn, Mexican rice, and Burger Mac. DIL had Burger Mac and Roasted potatoes. The little one had broccoli and strawberries...and , of course, Spaghettios!

jastwins likes this.
  18. 3timesoccermom

Oh my goodness that is too funny! At least she feels your leftovers are worth consuming!

jastwins likes this.
  19. 3timesoccermom

I have a ham out for today. For sides we will have peaches baked with brown sugar and cinnamon and hopefully a fresh baked sweet potato for Hubs. If not, I think I have a can of them I can add to the peaches, and he loves that too. Will probably also have the last of the Sister S rolls.

jastwins likes this.
  20. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Saturday was Chinese buffet
    Sunday was hot dogs, hamburgers, slaw
    Monday was Chili's with my dad for fathers day
    Tuesday was leftovers
    Wednesday was Subway
    Tonight..no clue..I meant to put something out the freezer last night or this morning but of course I forgot...