What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

XUfan - I could SO eat spaghetti for breakfast right now. I love pasta but it just occurred to me that I don't recall ever having it when I was growing up.

Anyway, Hubs will get a fish dinner from the fish fry place but I'm pretty sure the youngest is coming in tonight because she and her dad are attending a concert at the Houston Livestock show tomorrow so she and I may get something else.

I really have to hand it to those guys that cook the fish - they do a great job. I was surprised the first time Hubs got some and I tasted a small piece of his - it was great. So last week when Hubs asked me if I wanted a dinner I said no (the sides never look that good) but I'd like just one piece of fish (thinking I'd just have one of his). Instead he brought home a whole box of just fish - courtesy of one of his uncles who is a cooker!

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Last night was Angus burgers from the IGA & they were very good. We had noodles as a side since I had D2's boyfriend's mom over for wine, cheese and crackers. I was glad dinner was light since we pigged out on the chips.
    Tonight, we are supposed to get corned beef and cabbage and potatoes at the yacht club and truthfully, I am not in the mood for it. I may stop by to say hi, but not eat. The girls and I may go to MCD or Subway just to get something on the road while I travel to my other house.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    3timesoccermom likes this.
  3. Jessi

Jessi ↑ This Person ♥'s Someone With Autism Trader Group

Tonight we are having Parmesan crusted tilapia and a pasta salad and maybe something else to go with it. Not too sure yet what that will be.:rolleyes:

3timesoccermom and jastwins like this.
  4. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Whatever I can find when I get home tonight. This has been the longest week and I'm ready to just relax and unwind tonight.

5. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I made cabbage steaks today, my first time cooking cabbage ever. Just coated them in olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt and cooked them in the oven. They weren't bad. Still have more than half of the cabbage left. Might try cabbage rolls next.

6. jastwins

It was corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Irish soda bread and cupcakes plus cake for dessert. They put out a great spread at the yacht club. Crankie helped cook and it was delicious

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. 3timesoccermom

@mtka - I'm so glad you posted! I have never had cabbage rolls.

@jastwins - I have never had corned beef!
    I have no idea what time Hubs and the youngest will be back from the concert/rodeo tonight but we have leftover chicken fried steak so if they are hungry when they get home we will have that and probably baked potatoes - or maybe rice since she loves it. I plan to make a big salad too and will do some kinds of beans or peas if we have the above.

@XUfan - I remember you mentioning a difference in how much better they are when warming up leftover potatoes (mashed or all?) in the oven and in the past several months I have noticed meats also are SO much better that way. I first did it when I already had the oven on for something and decided to just put the meat in to re-heat just because it was easy and I was surprised at the difference! I have done it that way much more often since then. I wonder why? I'm sure the people on Cook's Country (or whatever that show is called) could tell us.

jastwins likes this.
  8. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Renee...I know what you mean about eating spaghetti for breakfast. I love pasta!! Every time Hubby asks where I want to go for dinner, I want to start naming pasta places! But, knowing how cheap pasta is to buy, it's hard to pay $15 to $20 for a pasta dinner, just because I'm sitting in a restaurant! I have no problem paying that price for seafood...but pasta, especially without meat in it, is ridiculous! That said...I could eat it all day long!!!

I'm glad you agree with me about heating things up in the oven. I don't know if it's because I grew up heating things up that way (um...what's a microwave????), and that's why I prefer the taste. But, the flavor is so much better when just about anything is warmed up that way. Mashed potatoes are awesome when you warm up the leftovers in the oven. As for roasted potatoes, we usually dice them smaller, then make them into home fries in a skillet. And get this...when our sailor and her hubby moved into their apartment in Dec, they didn't have a microwave. She called and told me that she reheated pizza in the oven, and it was soooo much better than in the microwave! Honestly, I rarely use ours anymore.

9. 3timesoccermom

One time, oh wow, it had to be 25 years ago, Hubs and I went to a very nice ($$$) Italian restaurant in the area that I'd wanted to go to for years. There was a line so we picked up a menu to browse while we waited. I can still hear Hubs' voice in my mind "$12 for a plate of spaghetti????" We left. Have still never gone.

If I could get away with it I'd have pasta at least once a week, maybe more. It's inexpensive, incredibly adaptable, and can be fast and easy too.

The only things I cook in our microwave are steamed broccoli and baked potatoes but we still use it a LOT for re-heating things and I would hate to be without it! My aunt was the first person I knew who had a microwave and it was huge. I can only imagine how much that thing cost, with the technology being so new back then. Looks like yall's daughter learned at least one good trick from you!

10. XUfan

Renee...here's a link to the menu of the restaurant I wanted to go to for my birthday. After looking at the menu online, I didn't even suggest it! Especially, when I paged down and saw $31.95 for pasta with shrimp and mushrooms!!! http://www.mammadisalvo.com/menu.htm

Since we've been talking about microwaves, I have been really noticing how little I use ours. I use it when I make oatmeal for myself, and I heat up spaghettios for our littlest one. I think Hubby uses it more than I do, but that's because he'll heat up leftovers if he comes home from work, and has missed his lunch break on super busy days. Even though I don't use it much, I'd hate to be without one!!

So, last night, since the game started at 6:10, we opted for Farm Rich, Sea-Pak, and Tyson for our dinner! We heated up wings, popcorn shrimp, and breaded mushrooms. Not very healthy...but great food for watching sports!

We'll do much better tonight. I'm hoping Hubby decides to grill something!

11. 3timesoccermom

Ladies, do any of you have a cole slaw recipe that has celery seeds in it? A long time ago a lady I worked with made some and I have never forgotten it. I didn't ask for the recipe because I was very young and not into cooking anything like that.

12. 3timesoccermom

I had a gift card for PF Changs (which I bought for 25% off face value at Sam's) and they had a 20% off online orders promo code. So, that's dinner.

jastwins likes this.
  13. XUfan

Renee...I wish I could help you with the cole slaw recipe. I think I've had it before with celery seeds, but I don't have the recipe. Sorry!

The small, local grocery store that has a full-service meat counter had rib-eye steaks on sale this week. So we went there this morning and picked one up for Hubby...and one for the freezer. He's grilling it and a big tilapia loin for me. Roasted potatoes and asparagus for sides.

14. jastwins

Crankie bought chicken cutlets at the butcher. We are having his tomato and garlic salad, oven potatoes peas with pearl onions and Italian bread.

15. 3timesoccermom

That's ok @XUfan, thank you though. I can't get over how many variations there are for cole slaw! Geez.

16. 3timesoccermom

Finally! Just put some pecan halves in the oven to make roasted, salted pecans. I have been meaning to make some for months. I LOVE them.

I also found a recipe for coconut bread this AM that I want to make. I got several bags of organic shredded coconut for pennies/bag a few weeks ago at HEB and this will be a good way to use some of it.

I have hamburger out for today and thinking it'll be goulash and salad for dinner.

jastwins likes this.
  17. XUfan

LOL!! That reminds me of something. A long time ago, when I was still working at a local hospital pharmacy, one of the pharmacists offered to buy us all lunch if I went to pick it up. One of the other girls picked a Chinese takeout place, and we placed our order. When I got back with it, he started eating his, and then started complaining that it "didn't taste right." He had ordered the same thing that he always ordered at the place near his house, but it didn't taste exactly the same. He said, "It's Chinese food! You'd think that if you order Mongolian Beef it would taste the same everywhere!" I couldn't help myself, and had to make a point. So I replied, "So do you think that the burgers taste the same at McDonald's, Wendy's and Burger King?" Of course, he said that was totally different. I could never win an argument with him! LOL!!

Anyway, I guess it's the same with cole slaw...or anything else. Everyone wants to put their own, individual spin on things. Try googling vegetable soup some time! :eek: I'm still looking for a good-tasting vegetarian split pea soup. It shouldn't be hard to find...but it is!!

So...tonight's dinner is: pork chops for him, salmon for me. The sides will be mashed potatoes, corn, and green beans. He also has been begging for Stove Top stuffing, so I might add that too. It only takes a few minutes to make.

18. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Not much cooking this weekend. Friday was some heated up leftovers. Saturday was mexican and last night I did make some jamaican jerk pork in the crockpot but I didn't really care for it much. Tonight I need to clean out the fridge and do a leftover buffet of sorts. Then I need to get into the cooking bug more. I rested alot over the weekend going to bed super early Friday, Saturday and last night...my body needed it!

19. 3timesoccermom

@XUfan - that is too funny. I love spinach enchiladas - but I will only order them at 1 place because I know they won't taste the same.

I was so proud of Hubs' frugality Friday night. He picked up fish dinners again and on each one there was a substantial pile of fresh, sliced onion. He took all that onion and sauteed it in butter the same night and put it in the fridge. Today I saw it and decided to add it to the goulash.

Made a humongous salad - which I hate doing because it's so time-consuming to examine every single leaf of spinach (which I HAVE to do) and I also boiled a dozen eggs to use in the salad and other things this week.

I saw this post on another site and since I have pecans I'm trying to use I thought "Hey I'll make those." Then I saw the butter content. Whoa. We are not health nuts but by the same token I don't want to invite a heart attack. I bet they are some kind of good though.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2013/01/the-best-ever-pecan-bars.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    jastwins likes this.
  20. 3timesoccermom

Tonight we will either have panko chicken tenders done in the oven or Hubs will have loaded nachos with beans, hamburger, 2 kinds of cheese, jalapenos and sour cream and I'll have salad. I saved a bit of the ground beef last night to use for the nachos so I just have to finish cooking it and season it up really well. This is the chicken recipe I want to try and it sounds great but I'm finding it a little hard to believe it could be this easy.

http://www.food.com/.../baked-panko-chicken-nuggets-220289

jastwins likes this.