What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

My sister had us over for our family's 4 January birthdays. Dad was 85 on the 6th, my sister will be 58 on the 11th and my twins are turning 18 on the 22nd of January.
    She bought a 15 lb rib roast from Acme and they have a wonderful meat dept. It was so good!

2. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Member of the Month June 2012 <br>Queen Of The Cir Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

How wonderful! I only asked about Christmas because that definitely didn't sound like a regular Saturday night dinner and I know several people that last night was their Christmas Eve (Orthodox)
    Sounds like a wonderful tradition! Happy birthday to all!

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I pulled the Christmas hambone out of the freezer and started a pot of pintos with it this morning. I'm probably making a green bean casserole and cornbread to go with it and call it dinner...maybe for a couple of days!

Sherri1480 and Lucky1307 like this.
  4. jastwins

I took chicken thighs and chicken legs out of the freezer this morning. I will cook the chicken in the oven and hope to find a recipe online for something different.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  5. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

It's 1pm, and neither one of us had thought about dinner yet. So, Hubby said to get some ground beef out of the freezer, and we'd figure it out later. That's all I have to report! LOL!!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  6. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Frozen pizza and salad Friday night...I stopped at the store for milk before the snow was to come...it was a madhouse
    Saturday night was a hodge podge of leftovers.
    Last night was stuffed french toast and sausage. It was sinful to say the least but delicious.
    Tonight I'll pull something out of the freezer for DS, I'll have the rest of the pulled pork carnitas from the fridge. Then I have some marinated fish to bake before it goes bad. That will be dinner tomorrow night.
    Glad to have the fridge completely cleaned out again. Now to work more on the freezers this week. Want to try to get back into deal hunting soon.

7. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

Ladies I admire you all so much for plugging along with the cooking - even more so the ones that work outside the home. I am in a slump and do not want to cook a thing.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  8. jastwins

I made chicken thighs and legs with some garlic powder and soy sauce. It came out pretty good. Our side were roasted garlic cous cous, stove top corn bread stuffing, corn and Beets. I used everything from the pantry and freezer.

Sherri1480 and 3timesoccermom like this.
  9. 3timesoccermom

Finally decided to put some sausage in the oven and we will have baked potatoes and those canned cream-style beans we found that we really like. I will also roast some corn while the oven is on to have for another day. Will be a late dinner but Hubs won't be home til after 7 anyway.

@jastwins - I wish I served a bigger variety of veggies - like beets. I remember them being SO disgusting when my mom tried making us eat them as a kid. Maybe fresh they are another matter, not sure, but they are on my list of foods I will never eat again if I don't have to. Beautiful color though.

Sherri1480, Lucky1307 and jastwins like this.
  10. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

After a dinner of some kickin' pintos and lesser known celebrities, I remembered something. Tonight is 1/2 price pizza night across the street! ACK! When SO finds out, I'm toast.

11. XUfan

Oh Renee!! If you only knew how much of a slump I'm in! It feels like I cook the same things over and over! And it probably seems that way because I really do! LOL!

In a few weeks, my husband has to go out of town for a training class. He'll be gone for a couple of days, and...although I wish he didn't have to go, and I'll miss him like crazy...I'm considering living on cereal and canned soup while he's gone! No cooking (just the microwave for the soup)...very few dishes!! I'd order out every night he's gone, but we can't afford that!

12. 3timesoccermom

Well I am sorry to hear you are slumping too! Mine is not so much what you stated - I WANT to be cooking and doing more stuff but just having a lot of problems with physical issues - my foot and such. I just hate for Hubs to work so hard and not come home to better meals when he so appreciates and enjoys a good meal. He never complains, in fact often tells me not to bother, but I want to.

When your hubby is gone that's a good time for you to have the treats he doesn't care for. But no dishes is definitely a treat too. On another board someone said "In 3 words, say something that means I love you (that's not I love you). My choice was "I'll do dishes." (snicker)

13. XUfan

You're right Renee. I should find ways to treat myself...cooking things I like but he doesn't...or going to the Lebanese restaurant up the road for Lentil soup and falafel. But, I'm the one who handles the finances, and I know we're in a money crunch. He'll be reimbursed for his meals (up to $10 each for breakfast and lunch, up to $20 for dinner), but we have to have the money up front for it. So, anything I might have saved will have to go with him on the trip, then we'll get it back a couple of weeks later (because they're sooooooo slow!). So...I'll just keep making meals from what we have here.

When we first heard about this training class, I was trying to be positive about it. We've been together 17 years, and have never spent a night apart...and I really don't want to start now! But, who wants to see their wife cry? So, I told myself that I'd make sure to make the most of the time. I had planned to go out to dinner with my sister, do a little shopping for the house, and maybe go to a movie by myself (something I haven't done EVER!). Then, I looked at the finances, and realized that I'm going to be doing the same thing I do now. Food from the pantry, library books, and whatever is on TV. It's January, so I should be able to find some basketball games on! Having fun was my original goal. Now, seeing how frugal I can be is my new goal!

14. 3timesoccermom

You can treat yourself to a "me" weekend, take a nice bath, home pedicure, something along those lines. Or have your sister come to your place. If it were me I'd use some of that couponing savings you've been building up and spend $20 on a restaurant meal or 2. There wouldn't be $1 in it if you hadn't worked it yourself. If you get lunch deals they will be less expensive than dinners and you can make yourself a drink at home too.

I don't know about dinner for tonight yet. We had the sausage last night but I did fresh broccoli instead of the canned beans and Hubs had a baked potato. It's such good sausage!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  15. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Two pieces of french toast and one enchilada remain in the fridge. I baked the fish last night but to the point it is dry as a bone. Thinking of just using it in some fresh salsa or on a salad to moisten it back up. I need to go the store and get veggies though. So tonight is going to be a last minute decision...ugh.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  16. XUfan

I get what you're saying. But I'm not comfortable doing things for myself. I'll feel much better if I can get through those 3 days without spending any money at all. It's a challenge, but I think I can do it. I'm not the kind of person who needs a lot...or even wants a lot. I had to chuckle when you said take a bath and do a home pedicure! LOL!! I'm not a bath person at all. And if I could reach my toes without my back going out, I'd have the prettiest toenails in town! LOL!

Honestly, I'm hoping for 3 days of sunshine, so I can sit on the couch at the window where the most perfect light comes in during the day, and read until my contacts fall out! As for the idea about my sister...never mind. I always feel guilty that we are the only two siblings from our family that live here, and that we never see each other. But when I do see her, or talk on the phone, she drives me batty! So, I'm just going to "forget" to tell her that he's out of town until he comes back! LOL!!

17. XUfan

Oh...so last night, I took the pound of ground beef, crumbled it up and browned it. In another skillet, I sauteed mushrooms, onions and a green pepper, chopped. I took 2/3 of the veg mixture and added it to the beef. Then crumbled up a veggie patty and added it to the other 1/3. I covered both in Pioneer brown gravy, and let them simmer. We ate it over noodles...and it was yummy!!

Tonight, we'll be watching basketball at 7, so I wanted to have something ready to eat. I don't cook during basketball! This afternoon, I'm making chicken salad and tuna salad. I picked up buns from the bakery in Kroger already. And we'll have chips with them. Easy dinner!

18. 3timesoccermom

Dinner tonight is from Chicken Express. One just opened a few miles away and there is one opening in our town in about a month. I've been hearing it's great so had to go get some. It's fantastic and the cole slaw is delicious too. A little sweet but not overly so and the pieces are not so finely shredded they are mush. Have only tasted a bite of a tender, a thigh and the coleslaw so far but NO disappointments. Hubs loves chicken livers and I'm sure he will look forward to getting some regularly once ours opens up. It was a bit higher than what I expected but it's in line with the quality.

19. jastwins

D2 announced she was making dinner today and that I had to buy certain ingredients. After spending $13.98 at the IGA, she made us the Martha Stewart recipe for one pan pasta. She added sausage and spinach to it and it turned out fabulous. I am very impressed at how easy it was. Instead of water, we used chicken broth from the pantry.

http://www.marthastewart.com/978784/one-pan-pasta

Lucky1307 likes this.
  20. Lucky1307

Lucky1307 Super Swapper June '09 Trader Group

Besides being in a slump my sleep schedule is totally wacko. I couldn't work this shift if DS was any younger. We laugh because he is earning his cooking badge in scouts and he is much more advanced than what they are currently working on, makes easy work for him. The good news is the cabinets and freezers are still very full from November....I didn't want a grocery bill in December. Bad news is my sleep and "slump" you ladies have already mentioned. Mom and I made menus together a few weeks ago to try and get ideas from each other. Mine ended up reading Mon-Mom's, Tues-Mom's, Wed-Wish mom would have something different, lol.

Tonight we are doing breakfast. DS wants biscuits and gravy and eggs. I'm thumbing through recipes today looking for new ideas to take to work. I don't get an actual break at work and usually my hot food gets cold and cold food gets hot. I hate wasting food so I stopped taking stuff but when I am starving I hate paying the prices for junk food.

Sherri1480 and 3timesoccermom like this.