What's for dinner today??

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

I made vegetable soup with black beans and served it with part of a French baguette from Aldi.

Sherri1480, judy27 and 3timesoccermom like this.
  2. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

We had some of the ravoli made a few weeks ago. This year we got a LOT since they made 52 (or maybe it was 54) dozen so we'll have it pretty often.

Sherri1480, judy27 and jastwins like this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

@Cathy
    @XUfan and
    @jastwins I'm sorry I forgot to thank you all for the good wishes on when I fell the other day, so thank you for the kind words. Hubs and I are feeling well past our ages right now - him with a terrible cold and cough and me with my bad foot and being bruised and dinged up.

Anyway, it's quite cold here for this area, we're due to have the next few nights a little below freezing - very rare - so I am making the easy oven stew that Hubs likes.

The past few days I've had a killer craving for corn bread so this morning, since I'd already been up for hours because of not being able to sleep with Hubs coughing, I made some and was pulling it out of the oven at 5 30 AM. It was really good and he had 2 huge pieces as he left.

Sherri1480, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  4. Lucky1307

Lucky1307 Super Swapper June '09 Trader Group

Hope you are all doing well! Got a new computer so I can hopefully log in and post without so many complications. Wish I had something interesting to post for supper but we are doing the good ole pizza.

5. 3timesoccermom

Good to see you again @Lucky1307. How are you?

Sherri1480 and Lucky1307 like this.
  6. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Welcome back! I hope you are able to start posting more often!

I have no idea what we're having for dinner. Hubby is home today. We spent the morning running errands...2 grocery stores, the bank, got his hair cut, went mattress shopping. We also stopped at the Redbox kiosk and picked up movies. He's watching one now. And we'll watch one together later. But we never did discuss what we're eating tonight!

Sherri1480 and Lucky1307 like this.
  7. 3timesoccermom

I didn't realize you could open this digital cookbook from a link but I discovered I could so I am sharing it. @XUfan, this is where that soup recipe I posted the other day came from. I have not made any of these yet so can't vouch for them but there are a couple I want to try.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/gm/soups/index.php

Sherri1480 and judy27 like this.
  8. XUfan

Thanks for the link, Renee! I see they offer a tutorial of how to use it. I'm not the brightest bulb, so I'll probably have to watch the tutorial! LOL!

Yesterday, Hubby watched a movie while I read in another room. For some reason, neither of us realized we started this process around 3pm. By the time the movie was over, it was after 5, and we'd been snacking for 2 hours! So, we waited until around 8pm, and ordered take-out from LaRosa's. It's a pizza place, based in Cincinnati, that's family owned, and been around forever! He wanted wings. I got a veggie calzone. And, they delivered!! It was only about 3 degrees out, and neither of us wanted to go out in the cold. I did tip the driver more than I usually would!

Today, we'll be watching basketball at 2:30. Then we're hoping to meet up with a friend of ours for dinner at the Mexican place up the road. Hoping that works out. We haven't seen him in ages!

9. 3timesoccermom

Nope, all you have to do is "turn the page" with your mouse at the bottom, right hand corner of the "book." That's it - so give it a look! (Poet and didn't know it.)

Tonight I am making au gratin potatoes and adding some cubed ham to it, plus roasting Brussels sprouts with onion and bacon. They can both be done in the oven at the same time. Since I have bunches of carrots I might as well do some of those as well, they are very pretty little baby carrots, so just have to dump them into the pan, throw some butter in and some seasonings and done.

For lunch, I have several avocados for guacamole. Aldi had them for .29 and we price-matched at WM and got 10.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  10. XUfan

That was easy!! Lots of those soups look good!! Thanks!!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  11. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

At my sister's house in NJ. She will be making a. Rib roast and lots of other good things. I will post more later.

12. 3timesoccermom

We're having what I was going to make yesterday. I was about to start on it but Hubs decided to go to the hospital and see one of his friends who recently had a brain tumor removed (as if this poor man has NOT been through enough in his life) and I was having a lot of aches and pains so he said don't worry about dinner. He had leftover stew and Sister's rolls and I had the rest of some breakfast burrito stuff.

So tonight . . .

I am making au gratin potatoes and adding some cubed ham to it, plus roasting Brussels sprouts with onion and bacon. They can both be done in the oven at the same time. Since I have bunches of carrots I might as well do some of those as well, they are very pretty little baby carrots, so just have to dump them into the pan, throw some butter in and some seasonings and done.

Sherri1480, judy27 and jastwins like this.
  13. jastwins

Last night we had the divine rib roast with mashed potatoes,broccoli casserole, beet salad, peas and bacon, penne ala vodka and salad.

Dessert was my mom's apple cake, a carrot cake, mom's tiramisu and home-made crumb cake. Way too many calories but enjoyed by everyone!

Sherri1480, Lucky1307, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  14. 3timesoccermom

Wow Jasmine. Just wow! I have never had a rib roast. What kind of peas were they?

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  15. XUfan

We went out to a Mexican restaurant last night, and totally blew the budget! Normally, we go during Happy Hour, and just have a drink or two, and split an order of veggie fajitas. But, we were meeting up with a good friend, who couldn't meet us until 7:45 (his boys had a basketball game earlier). So, we paid the price...literally! I wouldn't mind doing this, but the food wasn't great. Hubby said his was, but mine was just not good.

Anyway, there went the "lets get a pizza one night this week" money. So, I have to be creative, and make meals from what we have. We haven't decided about tonight's meal, but I'll update when I can.

Sherri1480, Lucky1307 and jastwins like this.
  16. judy27

judy27 Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

@3timesoccermom - WOW!!!! I hope you are OK after your fall. So sorry to hear that. I have this problem of tripping over my feet all the time. It is because I do not pick them up - the right foot mainly.

Thanks for the digital cookbook - that is pretty cool!!!!

I have had this awful cold and cough since Christmas. I cannot get rid of it. It is stuck in my chest. UGH!!!!

I decided to make some chicken, with veggies and cream of chicken soup. I threw in some diced potatoes. Darn though, I forgot the broccoli and that is my favorite part. I topped with cheddar cheese and some bread crumbs.

Peas..... The talk about peas just reminded me of a dish my mom used to make and now I want it!!! I will have to make it soon. It is..... Cut up onions and saute in oil them - not burnt, though. Throw in a can of drained peas and get it good and hot!!!! Then throw in an beaten egg and keep mixing while very hot. I am not sure if she used one or two eggs, but probably one. It is pretty good and I used to eat it even though I do not like peas!!!!!

17. XUfan

Judy!!! Hey stranger! Nice to see a post from you! Sorry you've got the lingering cough and cold, though. I had it in early December, then again during Christmas. I blame it on the little carrier monkey that comes to visit me a few times a week. She's also known as my littlest granddaughter. LOL! Whenever I've had a cold before, it was gone in a few days with no lingering effects. Not now! I'm an old lady now, and everything takes longer to get over...and it keeps coming back! Hope you get over yours soon!

So, we talked about dinners this week, and then remembered that there was a steak and some mahi-mahi in the freezer. So, even though it's 18 degrees outside, we're grilling out! I'm thinking baked potatoes and mushroom spinach casserole to go with them.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  18. 3timesoccermom

Thanks Judy - and bummer that you are feeling droopy!! I have tried to keep my distance from Hubs lately because he's been sick too. Poor thing, I know some of those days the last thing he wanted to do was get up out of that bed to go to work.

It's always great to see you here Judy.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  19. jastwins

Almost home. My sister used del monte canned peas but another family favorite is Le Seur peas. They are more expensive but they are good. She cuts up the bacon. When done cooking in the fry pan she tossed in the peas until they are good and hot. My mom made this all the time.

Sherri1480 and 3timesoccermom like this.
  20. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Member of the Month June 2012 <br>Queen Of The Cir Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

That sounds amazing! Christmas dinner?

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.