Whatcha Growin'?

mtka

Trader Group
We had our first and likely only crop of green beans for dinner last night. They were excellent. We bought some corn from the neighbor down at the farmers market to go with it, not so good. He admitted it wasn't his favorite variety. We also had the first cucumber. We were really late planting and the cucumbers have taken over everything. We don't eat that many of those but we have tons! I read that cows and goats love them, our herd just looked at them like yuck. I couldn't even get a single animal to try it. I have one little sprig of dill growing, will try to make some refrigerator pickles, I guess.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We had our first and likely only crop of green beans for dinner last night. They were excellent. We bought some corn from the neighbor down at the farmers market to go with it, not so good. He admitted it wasn't his favorite variety. We also had the first cucumber. We were really late planting and the cucumbers have taken over everything. We don't eat that many of those but we have tons! I read that cows and goats love them, our herd just looked at them like yuck. I couldn't even get a single animal to try it. I have one little sprig of dill growing, will try to make some refrigerator pickles, I guess.

There are a couple Youtube Channels based around some husky/malamute dogs that I occasionally watch. The past couple weeks, one of the owners has been feeding her dog vegetables out of the garden. Basically, the dog will eat some of them cooked, but very few raw. :p

However last week she set a whole cucumber in front of him and he started in just like he would a bone! Rather than have him make a mess, she sliced it up and he gobbled it down. I wasn't expecting that one -- especially when he wouldn't touch the small melon she had grown. Whole he treated that like a ball he couldn't care less about and when she cut it up he turned his nose away. :confused:

Don't know what that has to do with anything, other than who knows what one particular animal will eat that another won't? ;)

I know in autumn we've driven by farms and seen cows devouring pumpkins, which is actually a rather funny sight.

Last edited:

mtka

Trader Group
@Gardencook I will try my Labrador. She loves broccoli. I did make them some turkey stew with broccoli, pumpkin, and mixed veggies. My cows, horses, and goats go crazy about pumpkins. I am trying to grow some and we usually get a few from people, I just have to make sure there are no paints or coatings on them. We usually have some growing from the seeds of those they ate last year, but it didn't happen this year.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
D1 and her boyfriend planted a garden at his house. Tonight she brought home a cucumber and 2 dozen little potatoes. We washed them and she boiled them, and they were absolutely delicious!
Rosie hates green beans but she likes broccoli. She will spit a green bean out every time. I will have to see if she will eat some cucumbers.

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
Our chickens love pumpkins plus it really boosts production. A few weeks ago we tried a watermelon that my daughter grew in her garden. It was not ripe yet but the chickens thought it was a great treat.
We do have to cut up the melons & pumpkins...otherwise they show little interest.
Some of the truck gardeners have trouble with the coyotes taking a bite from their cantaloupe & pumpkins while growing in the fields.

busyasabeecrg

°ʅ︵ʃ° Member of the (°‿°) Month 11/2010 - (▬) -
Trader Group
It's a given that I lose a lot of produce to the rabbits, but what surprised me is how much fruit and veggies the coyote and an opossum eat. Not sure which one ate some candy bars left on the patio.