Whatcha Doing?

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
My daughter will be throwing a Hanukka party this evening for her extended family. I have strict orders from her to stop at Roladin on my way to her house and pick up 24 sufganiyot. I will probably cheat and get 25, one of which I will eat at the shop.

Incidentally, I think that I may have bought the last menorah of the particular design that Hazorfim had in stock. It no longer appears on their website.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Oh @Fillies Fan, your granddaughter is beautiful and what a great picture. God Bless you and your family.
Her generation will enjoy the pictures taken of them capturing special moments like this.
The menorah is gorgeous!

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
There is an interesting optical illusion in that picture. There are nine candles (or in this case oil lights) in every menorah. Of these, eight represent the 8 days of Hanukka, and the 9th is called the "shamash". The shamash is always put either on a far end of the menorah or in the middle, with four other candles on each side. It is also taller than the other candles.

In the picture, the tallest light appears to be the third on the right side. That, however, is only because of the angle from which the picture was taken. If you look at the black stove pipe behind the menorah, you will see the reflections of the lights and there you will see that the shamash is exactly in the center and higher than all the other flames.

Gardencook

Trader Group
I think our regional weather service has taken the weekend off. Perhaps they're all pre-occupied with the devastating tornadoes, but we still have weather elsewhere.

We've had gale-force winds all weekend with no indication they'll be slowing any time soon. They started Friday and the gusts today are worse than the previous two days. The wind has been howling constantly all weekend and the windows never stop rattling. We do have a weather advisory which claims we are expected to have "breezy" conditions with some snow until late Tuesday, but what we are experiencing is FAR from breezy!

Right now, the forecast is for Boise to have highs in the upper 40s this week while the forecast is for Salt Lake City to hover between one degree above zero and one degree below -- as a high -- all week. They've also had to close the Interstate some places in Utah due to ice. We seem to be sandwiched in between where we are getting the storm front moving into Utah, but the temperatures are staying only about 10 degrees below Boise -- at least so far.

I have no idea if Boise or Salt Lake are getting the terrible winds we are, however, since no one seems aware that we have wind. I sure hope these "breezes" don't last until Tuesday like the forecasts predict. The hardest part of moving here that I've never quite come to terms with is the constant wind, but this is downright ridiculous!

Update: I have managed to find a story that many Portland residents lost power today due to a big windstorm that moved through and has now left the area, but our winds seemed to start BEFORE they arrived in Portland. The best I can do for Boise is a high wind advisory that doesn't start until 5 p.m. Monday and will go through Tuesday. Since Boise is between Portland and here, I have no idea how that works, but if we haven't gotten the "high winds" yet, I'm terrified to think of what is coming.

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Having just finished celebrating Hanukkah, I ran into the next most important holiday of the year -- my birthday. It was on Saturday, my son visited me from Thursday night until Saturday morning (my daughter will come next Saturday), I got an email from a close friend in Germany, several from friends in the US, and a phone call from my sister in Arizona. Clearly, this is an international event of major significance. Saturday evening, Marina called me to give me birthday wishes in her highly Russian-accented Hebrew. This was followed by a call about 30 minutes later from her daughter (Polina) with birthday wishes in her excellent Hebrew. She included a traditional Israeli birthday expression "ad mair v'esrim", which loosely translated means "May you live 120 years".

I told her that I do not want to live that long and, surprised, she asked me why.

"I would be bored at that age," I said. "Where would I find a beautiful, sexy, 118-year-old girlfriend?"

What neither Marina nor Polina knew was that I had gone to a supermarket in a Christian Arab city that afternoon to fill up four large tote bags with Christmas goodies (chocolates, candies, two types of panettone, Santas and Frosties made from milk chocolate, a stuffed Santa doll, etc). What I could not find were candy canes. At 2 pm on Sunday, I met Marina (as planned) and was very surprised when she gave me a birthday gift of very expensive Cognac. It costs over $200 per bottle and I knew she could not afford it.

From there, we drove to her house to take all the Christmas things out of the car. Polina was home from school and I told them that before we go to lunch, I want to try one last place to get candy canes. I knew there was a Russian store not far from them and we drove there. They had no candy canes but did have a bunch of other Christmas goodies, all imported from Russia, and they waited in the car while I filled up another two more shopping bags.

Then we drove to pick up Olga from kindergarten and headed to Pizza Hut, where I insisted that we have pizza covered in mac & cheese. None of them had ever eaten it before, and Marina was especially hesitant but gave in because it was my birthday. They now all love it.

As Pizza Hut is located in their favorite shopping mall, Olga walked to my side of the table and whispered, "Buy me a present". She has to whisper it because Marina has told her that it is not nice to ask me for presents, and since then Olga always whispers it. I asked Marina that now that Polina is almost 14, if she can start wearing lipstick, nail polish, etc. Marina agreed and while Olga and I were in the toy store, they went to the pharmacy to select what Polina would get. By the time they finished, I (and more importantly, my Visa card) had joined them.

I could not pass up the opportunity to tease Marina and when we got to my car, I made up a story that I had wanted to buy her make up as well, but when I asked the woman in the cosmetics department what they have which would make her beautiful, I was told, "You can't afford it". :)

Gardencook

Trader Group
Still trying to get to the bottom of this storm system we're experiencing here in Eastern Idaho -- which no information sources seem to be discussing. It is like nothing out of the ordinary is happening -- even when we watched the local weather from an hour away this morning. The wind got extremely frightening last night and still has been howling all morning. Neither of us ever remember a windstorm of this magnitude continuing for days on end like this one, and DH has lived on this side of the state for about 50 years. I've been here nearly 40.

They've removed the advisory for Boise as well as here and just say we could have "occasional wind gusts." Our gusts have been FAR from "occasional" for the past four days and the weather service was claiming they were "breezes" when we had a low-level advisory in effect.

Came across this warning for the Salt Lake City Airport:

"Weather Alerts-Salt Lake City, UT
Airport Weather Warning until MON 5:15 PM MST
Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Salt Lake City - UT, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Salt Lake County
Description
Airport Weather Warning for winds gusting to greater than 30 mph/26 kts for the Salt Lake City International Airport.
Valid 815 AM MST to 515 PM MST Monday"

Does it seem to anyone else that our "warnings" raise more questions than answers these days?

I've tried to check online, but haven't seen any mention of flights being cancelled at the Salt Lake airport, yet the weather service is warning people to "avoid the subject event." Does that mean that you should just ditch your tickets even if your flight is still scheduled?

It has always been my understanding that once you buy those tickets, you are pretty much at the mercy of the airline and the airport to decide whether it is safe for planes to fly.

When my mother broke her hip, we got a freak May blizzard that dumped about a foot of snow on us the morning my flight was to leave. Since DH needed to catch a bus to work around 5 a.m., we were on the freeway at about 3:30 or 4 a.m. that morning -- before the road crews were out and we had to plough through that foot of snow on the freeway to get to our airport that morning.

My plane made it to the Salt Lake Airport without incident and although there was a huge commercial airline "traffic jam" at Salt Lake due to deicing, I still made it to Portland only about 45 minutes late -- something we didn't expect when we looked at weather conditions.

I'm just not quite sure what it means to "avoid the subject event" when a huge International airport hub is singled out for a weather alert. The alert doesn't seem to be for all of Salt Lake City, just the airport ... ??? :rolleyes::oops::eek:

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, five straight days of high winds and the national weather service only admitted there was a problem today. It has been one of the weirdest situations we've ever seen and other long-time residents are equally puzzled. No one can remember such an extended period of high winds while they've lived here and I certainly never remember any of the weather outlets refusing to acknowledge there was a problem for the first four days of a five day storm.

We finally made a break for it to pick up a few fresh groceries this afternoon. The wind still hadn't died down by the time we left, but they were predicting a big snowstorm to follow the wind and who knows how much accumulation we'll get from that?

By the time we left the grocery store, we had thick sleet blowing horizontally into us -- the snow had started, but the wind still hadn't abated.

We didn't drive around town too much, but we saw a lot of branches down and Key Bank's sign is lying mangled on the ground. We've heard there are a lot of trees down and Idaho Power has its hands full restoring power across the state. An Idaho Power truck with lights flashing met us at the intersection at the foot of our hill on the way home.

Thankfully, it was turning and not headed up into our neighborhood, which still has power, however, the fact that it had flashing lights must have meant it was in a hurry to take care of something big.

The wind has finally died down a bit and the snow is coming down heavily now so we hope at least the wind is gone for a while.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Still trying to get to the bottom of this storm system we're experiencing here in Eastern Idaho

When you figure it out, please let me know.

All the weather forecasts predicted very strong rain here starting yesterday and lasting 10 days (the forecasts don't go beyond that).

Yesterday we had beautiful weather until the evening. Then we had massive thunder and lightning -- but no rain!

Today, the skies have been cloudy all day but, again, no rain.

My daughter (and, more importantly, my granddaughter) are supposed to visit me on Saturday -- but not if there is heavy rain. We have no idea if they can make the trip.

M_Lexx

Trader Group
I'm finally done with Christmas-themed shows and funny how much I look forward to the next ones, try to plan what will be 'in' next year, etc. My own rewards are new yarns and a trip to the Russian store (yay! rye bread! pickled herring! goodies!) and other craft, food and general stores not to mention a few weeks of tv binge-watching and cooking and eating and knitting. The house is four million types of mess but the good thing about messes is that most of them can be cleaned up especially with a small stockpile of cleaning supplies.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
How are you faring during Winter Storm Carmel @Fillies Fan ? The film footage I've seen looks like it is pretty devastating in all parts of Israel.

Oddly enough, the news reports seem to be much more severe than the storm itself. The worst that I had to endure was a few hours when my regional internet service was down (but I was able to connect using my smartphone as a mobile hot spot).

Supposedly, being on a mountain top in Israel's far north, I should be getting hit the hardest by the storm.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Due to Microsoft, we have a nightmare weekend ahead of us. Finally had enough of a break in what we needed from our computers that I could take it in this week. However, apparently others had the same idea. The technician said they're getting way behind, because a lot of others in town are having the same problem with the same nightmare "features update" and they can't keep up.

I had to shut the computer off in the middle of of one of its endless failed attempts to install this exercise in futility in order to take it into the shop. It was only up to 43 percent after a few hours and never installs anyway.

It is now shutting down repeatedly -- probably close to eight or ten times most days. Then as soon as it "fails to install" the update, it IMMEDIATELY starts downloading it again.

We expected the shop to close early Friday, but after calling and being told we could bring it in, we saw a sign that said they'd be closed entirely Friday -- as well as their usual weekend. However, they were going to close the shop Thursday around noon and they wouldn't even get to my computer before then due to the backlog. They figured it would still take them at least a full day to get to it after they got back.

Rather than have the computer sit in the shop a week without being looked at, we simply brought it home. DH's computer has been a nightmare all day and at least between the two computers we might have something that works.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has now sabotaged his Open Office software just as it did mine a few weeks ago. He hasn't been able to look at ANY of his text documents for about three days now. He's got a document he NEEDS, so tonight we're going to try a work-around of him sending me the file by email in an attachment in hopes I can open it, copy it and send it back to him in email form. Trying to get around all these messes Microsoft constantly makes is a nightmare.

We had to leave the lights on and the computer running this afternoon when we went to run some errands, because after nearly three hours, the update was less than 40 percent downloaded.

After messing up my computer for nine hours straight today and shutting it down repeatedly several times earlier. It finally shut down about 8 p.m. -- unable to install the update AGAIN, so as soon as I signed back in several minutes ago it started downloading the update again. It takes several hours "downloading" the update, then several more hours of "installing" only to get to 100 percent and "fail to install.

Had a different technician at the shop this week and he agreed with the other techs in saying that there is absolutely no way to tell in advance whether a computer is going to do this when buying one. He said people think that buying a Mac will solve the problem, but it isn't any better than Microsoft any longer.

Anyway, about all we accomplished at the shop this week was getting the preliminary paperwork filled out and making an appointment for Monday morning. At least they now have a form where he explained what the problem is that we are bringing it in for.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, at least one work-around was successful! DH sent me the file he needed as an attachment, and I was able to open it and send it back to him as text in an email. Just wish we'd thought of that three days ago! Everything else we've tried has been a failure.

Of course, DH could have moved the document to my computer on a thumb drive, but it is difficult to work on an important text document on a computer that often shuts down every 15 minutes.

If only my update problem could be solved just as painlessly.

Trying to think our way around messes that Microsoft creates certainly keeps us on our toes!

Gardencook

Trader Group
When those terrible tornadoes tore through so many states a couple weeks ago, we heard that thousands of chickens had been killed when the barns housing them were destroyed. I mentioned to DH at the time that I wondered how quickly that would hit the already struggling supply chain.

We've got a huge storm system moving through right now. Major thoroughfares have been closed all across the west due to snow, ice, whiteouts, etc.

We couldn't get out of the house yesterday and only drove around town today. We had hoped to drive an hour away, but knew there was a good chance the weather would prohibit it.

Tomorrow an Arctic Blast is due to descend upon us, so I'm sure as that is moving across the nation it isn't helping matters any.

We didn't get ourselves dug out until about 11 a.m. this morning and had to run the computer to the shop before we went to any stores. When I entered the first store, it was hard to miss the fact that the area where the store sells rotisserie chickens was completely empty. It was then 11:30 and sales on deli chicken at all of our stores usually state that it isn't available until 11 a.m.

I thought perhaps they didn't think they could sell much chicken until the evening following the holiday and didn't think much about it. However, when I entered the second store and again found absolutely NO rotisserie chickens, I began to wonder.

When we got to the third store where the heat cart that normally holds the rotisserie chickens was completely missing, I knew something was up. I had to walk by the deli to get into the store and there they had posted a sign stating that due to the weather across the nation, they were unable to supply either fried or rotisserie chickens at this time.

That explained the lack of chickens, however, it didn't explain why the sign claiming they had no fried chicken was positioned on the heat case above quite a selection of fried chicken. Guess they must not have been quite out of chicken in the back when the shortage hit.

Not that we were planning to buy rotisserie chicken today, but I honestly don't remember going to three separate stores on a single day and seeing ALL of them out at exactly the same time.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Got my computer back from the shop last evening about 4:30 p.m. The technician who actually listened to what we said wasn't in when DH picked it up and the snarky tech claimed "It is fixed," but refused to tell DH what had been done. His attitude is TERRIBLE and we can't get anywhere with him.

I did check the update section as soon as we got it back and while the computer was in the shop's possession (a little more than 48 hours) it had gotten the troublesome "features update," a "quality update," two huge "cumulative updates" and a couple "definition updates." Of course, the computer does several additional updates each day without recording an update number and it has been installing the quality and other updates on its own at home without the assistance of a technician, so I don't know how many automatically installed and how many the technician did. My past two computers never seem to stop updating. It is a constant!

As soon as I turned on the computer last night, Microsoft did another update. It has now shut down on me at least twice without giving me the "overheat" message -- a sure sign that MIcrosoft is making a mess with another "update" AGAIN. From what I can tell it has done at least three updates on my computer since then, but they are the updates without update numbers that just show as a time an update was installed when you check to see if anything has been done. Then that time vanishes as soon as it does another update a short while later and you have no written proof anything happened.

Even though I shut down normally last night without it overheating, when I turned it on this morning it claimed it had shut down because it overheated. Then after about 15 minutes the computer was completely unusable and I had to reboot only to have this message emblazoned on my update page.

1640884657625.jpeg

I checked the Internet and I found articles from early October that mentioned this error message claiming that LOTS of people were having the problem and Microsoft was "working on a solution" -- that was nearly three months ago and it coincides almost exactly with the September 12 date when Microsoft first started hijacking my computer multiple times per day to install its junk features update while we were on the road to the Oregon Coast!

Windows 10 was such a disaster that Microsoft is now FORCING everyone to update to Windows 11, but it can't create an installer that works on many computers and apparently they just think we'll all be stupid enough to go buy another machine -- apparently every six months in our case. It seemed to only take three to six months for Microsoft to make this computer entirely unusable after it destroyed my last one!

Every technician we've spoken to claims Windows 11 is a nightmare so it isn't simply one shop that is messing things up.

DH just called the shop, but the only technician currently in is the jerk. The one who will actually talk to us won't be in until 3 p.m. and tomorrow is New Year's Eve, so if we have to take it back I won't see my computer again until next week.

Microsoft is messing with DH's computer again, and he can no longer scan photos on our scanning printer again. He's been trying for several days now and can't get it working. My computer has been unable to connect to that printer since Microsoft did an update shortly after we bought this -- and that printer doesn't print decent copies, so we always use the laser printer for hard copies.

DH's computer will no longer connect to the laser printer that actually prints since Microsoft started this Windows 11 fiasco months ago. It worked fine until then. Since Microsoft disconnected his USB ports with one of its updates more than a year ago, he can't use a cable straighten things out and in the process of all these "updates" Microsoft disconnected my ability to connect with that printer wirelessly, so I must now use a USB cable on the laser printer despite the fact both my computer and the laser printer are wireless and worked fine before the updates.

He can still use a Bluetooth speaker, so it isn't a problem with his wireless.

DH still can't get Open Office to open after Microsoft messed it up a couple weeks ago so he has no access to his text documents without transferring them to my computer. Then we have to copy the text into an email and send them back to him. Microsoft messed up that on my computer weeks ago, but thankfully mine started working again after a week or so. That isn't happening on DH's computer.

We gave up on the other shop in town after it couldn't fix my last computer and Best Buy an hour away wanted to go through the same steps that have been an exercise in futility at this shop here in town -- forcing me to reinstall all my software and deleting all my files forcing me to re-install all of them -- and they wanted to charge us about $250 to do it.

We learned the hard way that time, that Best Buy will no longer allow you to talk to anyone at an individual store directly. You must go through a voicemail system which wants to repair your computer "remotely." You can't just call and make an appointment so their warranty is worthless.

The two shops we've taken it to here in town are the only ones left and they both get good reviews. After we got Radio Shack back after the store that had been open for decades closed, DH found a tech he liked there but when we tried to call back later that store no longer repaired computers.

The last time we tried to call Microsoft support, we were informed they've eliminated phone technical support and you must now fix your computer "remotely" -- which is impossible to do on a broken computer. Basically, Microsoft can now break your computer doing updates and takes NO accountability for its actions.

Meanwhile, the technicians we've spoken to in at least four or five cities have admitted that there is no guarantee buying a Mac or another PC will solve the problems. They just throw their hands in the air and tell us Windows 10 and Windows 11 have been unmitigated disasters -- just as all the technical journals claimed was going to happen before Microsoft released Windows 10.

Last edited:

mtka

Trader Group
@Gardencook I would sure buy a chromebook or android tablet. I've been having issues with my pc. It takes forever to wake up then freezes for about a half an hour before it becomes normal, especially firefox. I used to say that I wouldn't use a tablet or phone for a lot of things, then while I'm waiting for this pc to warm up, I use my phone. Now I'm on the pc a lot less and find myself just using the phone for most stuff. I only come to the pc if I'm typing a reply, like this. I know that certain programs only work on the pc, but just having a cheap chromebook or android (or that apple stuff) for other stuff would save some frustrations. Some android apps, like Kroger, are better than the websites anyway. Windows has said my computer can't update to Windows 11 from the start, but keep checking. It doesn't like my motherboard, I think. I'm not changing it for them and am not too worried about it.

Good luck with the shop next week.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
I have a chromebook and like it. They are not expensive and my school also uses them.
worth a look to see if it meets your needs.
my only issue is that I cannot use my printer at home. I can print at school on my school chromebook and used to be able to print at home on the school Computer. However my kids can print at home with their Mac books.

what a disappointment Microsoft is & I am so sorry they are causing you such issues. Thinking back to when we had pcs, they would overheat and shut off. I never thought about the updates until you posted and realized the updates were to blame.