Whatcha Doing?

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
BoA, in concert with Visa, did its best to drive me crazy today.

I wanted to send a gift to a friend in Germany, went to a German website I have used before, and placed the order, using my Bank of America credit card. The charge was rejected by Visa, presumably because they found it strange that somebody in Israel would use an American credit card to buy something in Germany. The website gave me a telephone number to call to get approval for the charge.

My call to that number brought me to a Visa rep in Houston. She told me that she could not help me because she does not have enough information to identify me. She told me to call the telephone number on the back of my card and they would notify her to accept the charge.

That number was in New Mexico. She was able to verify my identification but saw no charge that had been rejected. She sent me a one-time verification code by e-mail, and when I told her the number, she felt that was enough for her to be certain that I am me, but that she had to transfer me to Security. The Security rep was in Delaware, and after she again identified me, she told me that I could place the order again -- but only within the next 60 minutes -- and it would be approved.

I went back to the German website and went through the whole process again (which is a bit difficult as the website is in German, and I only speak it well enough to get into a bar fight in Munich). Finally, however, I was able to send the order.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
There is one thing I miss by living in Israel: Halloween. Today, I decided to do something about it.

I phoned a woman who is responsible for culture on our kibbutz and asked her how many children we have between the ages of 6 and 12. She told me that there are 48 of them. I asked her if she thought they would enjoy trick or treating (at least at my house). She told me that they all know about Halloween from television shows and the internet and would love it.

I then went to the Amazon.com website and ordered the following:

1. A scary LED light-up mask (for me to wear).
2. 50 Halloween-theme Corona masks (for the children).
3. 72 glow-in-the-dark bouncing balls with Halloween designs. (I could not get just 50.)
4. 50 Halloween self-inking plastic stamps (meaning they can stamp the designs on whatever they want).
5. 60 trick-or-treat goodies bags.
6. 300 temporary tattoos (again, the smallest number I could get).

The main reason that I bought the mask for myself is that shipping to Israel is very expensive, but everything that I bought came with an offer of free shipping if the order total is $65 or more. I was about 35 cents shy of the $65 and my mask cost $7.99. By ordering it, I saved about $40 in shipping.

Everything in my order is supposed to arrive by October 6 (except for those tattoos -- for which they could not give me a date yet).

When the things arrive, I will give the woman I spoke with the Corona masks, the balls, and the plastic stamp. I will also give her the tattoos whenever they get here. I will take one of the trick-or-treat bags to a candy shop to see how much I can fit in them (they are 9.5" x 5.2" x 3.2", so I should be able to get quite a bit in them). I will get 50 of everything (48 for the kids on the kibbutz and 2 for Marina's daughters).

The kids will have to come to my house on Halloween and announce "Trick or treat" to get their candy. This will confirm to their parents what they have always suspected -- that I am certifiably insane.

On the other hand, I think the kibbutz dentist will be thrilled by this idea.

(No, I am not giving any candy to my granddaughter. She will be about 2 1/2 months old on Halloween and I don't think that my daughter wants her to be munching candy at that age.)

Last edited:

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Just in case anyone has been wondering, Barney the Bull has been captured!!!

He escaped a Long Island farm and the police were not able to capture him for 2 months. They made a corral, brought in a female cow, but Barney would not take the bait. Drones and planes were used to look for him. As I drove to my other house, I would see the signs in the highway, near my exit, warning there may be an animal in the roadway. A picture of Barney on Facebook showed him on the lawn of a former classmate of the twins. LOL.

An animal rescue group from Wantage, NJ will let Barney live out the rest of his life at their sanctuary. However, Barney is a free spirit and jumped the fence but did not get far. They rounded him up and he is securely behind the fence now. He even made the news again tonight.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Haven't been posting much since we took a trip to the Oregon Coast. I drag DH over there as often as possible, which has usually only amounted to a trip every few years -- especially when our parents were ill for so many years.

We had hoped to go last year, but that fell by the wayside for obvious reasons. That made me more desperate to get into a better climate for a short while at least. For those of you who don't know, I've had to cope with high dessert living for the past four decades when my body seems to require high humidity. Of course, I didn't put all the pieces together until AFTER I'd committed to living here. :rolleyes:

We've traditionally spent our time on the Northern Coasts of Oregon and Washington, because it is only a couple hours from where I grew up in the Portland/Vancouver area. With my mother gone and the MESS Portland has become, we decided it was time to explore the Central and Southern Oregon Coast a little more carefully while bypassing Portland entirely.

We took a quick trip down the coast a couple years ago and returned through Bend, Oregon -- where we discovered we DO NOT like the barren, two-lane highway between Bend and Boise which is congested with slow-moving motorhomes and trailers on winding two-lane highways and hills where you cannot pass.

This time we took a slightly different road, bypassing Bend for Redmond, Oregon and the road was GORGEOUS. Forests, mountains and far less congestion all along the route! Of course, that got us closer to where some major fires have devastated communities the past couple years. We had to be careful not to take a northern highway at the Santiam Pass, where roads are still closed following the 2020 fires. Especially heartbreaking was the area around Belknap Springs where we saw the remains of burned houses and signs everywhere thanking the firefighters and pleading with residents to stay strong in light of the tragedy.

We'd definitely like to take the trip again, unfortunately, we probably won't. We've had a Tracfone for years without any major problems with outages. We occasionally get into an area with no service in the mountains around here and had a few problems once while traveling in the mountains of Central Washington, but it is usually just an hour or two at most before we are back in an area with phone service again. However, this year we had NO cell service at ALL from John Day, Oregon to the Oregon Coast. We still couldn't get any when we headed down to Brookings and then didn't get back into range until we hit John Day again on the way back home. We went about three weeks with absolutely NO phone coverage. Thankfully, we had good WiFi at all the motels and rentals where we stayed or we would have been even more cut off from the world.

Oregon is much more stringent on Covid policies and we honestly weren't sure how welcome we would be, plus we really didn't want to be eating all those high fat, high salt restaurant meals, so we relied on motels and AirBnBs with kitchens for the entire trip and kept mostly to ourselves. We only ate out a couple times which was a really money saver. As it turns out, the residents and business people in the areas we traveled aren't too happy with their governor (which is why much of the state would like to secede to join Idaho) so we didn't feel the least bit unwelcome while we were there.

The AirBnBs we rented along the road were exactly what we needed for quick overnight stays and the kitchens made it very convenient for a meal after pulling off the road and freezing ice for the next day's travel.

I really wanted a place with an ocean view for our stay, but they were pretty much all booked close to a year in advance -- since everyone is eager to travel again. Since we started looking "only" about six months in advance, we ended up finding a remote vacation rental right on Coos Bay, where we could watch the boats and large ships go by on their way to the port. The ocean was on the other side of the north spit, so we couldn't see it from our rental, but we still got to watch the tides roll in and out and enjoy a huge variety of wildlife -- not to mention two very vocal neighbor cats who came to converse with us by our sliding glass door each day. It was very relaxing, which was just what we needed.

We did find a really nice Mom and Pop motel in Yachats, Oregon with kitchens and ocean views, so we spent a weekend there before we headed down to Coos Bay. It was a lot nicer motel than we expected and wouldn't mind going back at some time in the future -- if it weren't for the cell phone problem.

While exploring Cape Arago State Park we got quite the excitement. Just as we pulled into the parking lot, we noticed rescue crews were on the ground setting cordoning off an area to set up ropes to repel down the cliffs. We first told ourselves they were probably just doing practice exercises, but then when we walked down to a viewpoint, a Coast Guard helicopter flew in and began hovering above the cliffs right in front of the area where our vehicle was parked. We couldn't see the actual cliffs from that viewpoint, just the helicopter hovering.

We watched for a while, but the helicopter started to fly away without bringing anyone up. We decided it must not be serious so walked back to the parking lot. However, as soon as we arrived there, the helicopter was back and one of the Coast Guard members was lowering down to the cliffs from the helicopter. As we watched, we became ever more convinced there was a real rescue underway and just held our breath hoping we'd see a live human being brought up and not a stretcher with a body bag.

After quite a number of tries, the Coast Guard was able to pull up the rescuer and the "victim." I couldn't see much of the individual that was pulled up, but his leg seemed to be hanging oddly, so I decided he must have badly broken or dislocated his leg and contented myself with the fact that he was still alive.

We had just been at a neighboring park the day before and watched parents allowing their children to wade MUCH too far out into the cove not far from there, despite the fact the ocean was pretty wild that day. Then another day when the weather was even stormier we saw a couple walking out on a jetty despite the fact the waves were really wild, crashing across the jetty and it was almost high tide. People just don't realize that while the Pacific might be named for its "peaceful" appearance, a number of people are killed each year when they are pulled out by sneaker waves or fall over the edge of a cliff that gives way beneath their feet while hiking. The ocean is beautiful, but you HAVE to respect it and be aware of its mood at every moment.

It wasn't until the next day when DH got to looking at the photos he snapped after loading them on his computer that we were finally able to enlarge the photo of the "hiker" that they pulled up and saw that the Coast Guard had "rescued" a dummy that day. The practice exercise was all VERY convincing, but it also explained why his leg was hanging so oddly as they brought him up. ;)

We'd never been so relieved to be wrong about what we witnessed in our lives!

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
In a little less than two hours (6 pm my time) I will be driving to a bat mitzvah party about 45 kilometers from my house. The party starts at 7, and the drive would normally take less than 30 minutes, but it is due west from my house and the sun will be shining directly in my eyes for most of it, meaning that I will be driving much more slowly than usual.

This is not the kind of party that I enjoy but it is for my son-in-law's daughter from his first marriage. She is a very sweet young lady, but she is not the reason I am going. My SIL and my daughter will be there, but they are not the reason I am going. My two-month-old granddaughter will also be there and that is why I will be going. Because they live about 80 kilometers from me, much of it on bad roads, I only get to see her about twice a month. I figure that this trip is a "gimme".

More than that, the trunk of my car (it is a station wagon) is full of baby things that my daughter has asked me to buy and this will let me give it all to them and empty out the trunk (at least until my daughter gives me another purchase order). I suspect that Marina will be very happy that the trunk will be empty. Generally, on Sundays, I take her and her two daughters to lunch, followed by a visit to the supermarket. She fills up her shopping cart each time (I pay twice a month, she pays the other two times) but last Sunday it was lunch only, as with her sitting next to me and the girls in the back seat, she has to put all the groceries in the trunk -- which was impossible because it was so full.

As disappointed as Marina was, I will bet that her husband was even more unhappy. He works 12 hours a day at a physically-draining job and was probably not at all thrilled when he arrived home and learned that he had to take her shopping (she does not have a driver's license).

On Sunday, I will be meeting Marina and the girls again and this time, after lunch, she will be able to fit everything from the supermarket into my back seat.

Now, for the question I know that is on all of your minds, "What coupons do you use?" The answer is "none" but Marina has a card from the supermarket which automatically gives her all the current discounts being offered in coupons and, on the weeks that I pay, my Bank of America card usually gives me 1.5% back on supermarket purchases but for the rest of this year will give me 2%. It always gives me that 2% when I pay at a restaurant.

Last edited:

jastwins

Trader Group
Enjoy your visit with your granddaughter, @Fillies Fan. You are always a savvy shopper.

Do the stores in Israel have any bare shelves like some in the US? Our problem is that ships are waiting to be offloaded and we do not have enough truck drivers. Hopefully, this situation will resolve itself by early next year. Christmas and Hannukkah will be tough this year with delivery on certain items not happening on a timely basis.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Do the stores in Israel have any bare shelves like some in the US?

Right now there are shortages of TP (which didn't happen before) and domestic dairy products. TP is available in packages of 8 rolls (usually you can find 36 and 48 roll packages). Milk is being limited to 3 containers of one-quart each and it is impossible to find Israeli cheese or butter, but plenty of foreign cheeses and packs of butter are available.

I think the TP shortage is the result of stores being afraid to make the same mistake they did early in the pandemic. They knew of the problems in the US and didn't want to run out, so they way overstocked them. Those 8-roll packages are all that is left from the pallets of TP they bought last year.

The dairy is another story. As I have mentioned before in this forum, September had so many holidays here that the dairies fell well behind in their production.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I have a VPN subscription which costs $99 per year. I renewed it, using my Amex, about two weeks ago. Since then, it was listed on my online statement as "Pending". My October statement closed yesterday and when I went to the Amex website to pay today, the VPN charge had disappeared. Only a few charges I had made at Amazon last week were showing.

I talked with Customer Service at the VPN and they checked their records and confirmed that Amex had already paid them. I then spoke with Amex and was told that not only had they not paid for the VPN but the VPN has not even confirmed that the charge was valid (which is why it was listed as "Pending" for two weeks).

The rep said that unless VPN asks for the money, it will never be paid.

It sort of reminds me of the Social Security Administration. My ex-wife died three years and, about a year later, I received a letter saying that she had been over-paid $349 and that her estate should refund the money by check. Her "estate" was my son and daughter and I was not going to ask them to send the money, so I mailed them a check on my Bank of America account for the money. That was two years ago, the check was sent by registered mail, and it was never debited by the bank.

mtka

Trader Group
It has not been a fun September or October here. We had to replace the main water line on the Friday before Labor Day. Turns out we couldn't find the old one (found a decoy though, that was fun) and by the end of the day, they just laid a new one on top of the ground so we could have water. The next day my brother comes out to bury it and the backhoe pressure line ruptures. The rest of Labor Day weekend until now went as follows: backhoe off because it's broken, bushhog on, bushhog breaks and we search 12 acres of freshly mowed pasture for 5 parts, one of which can't be easily replaced. Find 3 parts, including the important one, but it's pretty bent, brother takes home to fix and do his yards, tractor clutch breaks, tractor clutches are very expensive and takes forever, pressure switch on the new water line faults resulting in many unpleasant trips down in the well box if we want to flush any toilets or take a shower, pressure switch fixed after a week of sheer disgust of not having any water again, finally receive tractor back last week and backhoe fixed, tractor comes back without oil so crew leaves, had oil in the house, I spend a full day of backhoeing breaking my already injured back but must be done, waterline buried!!, insulation put on waterline in the well box, spray insulation in well box abruptly halted when I realized there was a large snake watching my every move right above my head in the "attic" of the well box, mothballs thrown in the well box, haven't gone back in yet as I don't want to lower my head in to see if snake is there or not, heat pump upstairs gets fussy while the temps are hot for a week until repair guy gets there, new heat pump finally installed downstairs after 2 years of trying to live without it (mildew won out), tractor slips out of gear and it still not running right.

October is black walnut harvest month here. The answer to whatcha doing in October is picking up walnuts, cleaning hands of walnut stain, washing truck of maggots after walnut unloading, reloading truck of walnuts, repeat until we physically give out and/or hulling stations close as we will never run out of walnuts to harvest. Locals say a good harvest means a bad winter, as does the shape of a persimmon, and the color of the wooly worms. All are harbingers of doom this year. It took us a couple weeks to get the first load, a full sized pick up load got us a little over $75. We have loaded the second truck load and would have taken it out this morning if it wasn't pouring rain. We were hoping to get a set of tires for the truck with the money, OMG have you seen the price of tires!!! Maybe a set of used tires. Truckload 3 will be rather quick, since we have bags already ready to load, my back will not be happy lifting heavy bags into the truck nor unloading heavy bags into the hulling machine. Hoping to get truckload 4, hulling stations close the first week in November, subject to change.

jastwins

Trader Group
@mtka, wow....I was silently screaming when I got to the part of the snake. You all get an A +++++ for perserverance. Gosh, I hate it when so many things go wrong at once. It may make other quit, but you are so strong and got it done.
I hope you get a good deal on tires. Sadly the price of everything is going up and we are stuck.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I received a phone call today from Ono Academic College (which I admit I have never heard of before) and as soon as the caller identified herself, I immediately asked, "Do you speak English?" This is usually enough to end such conversations, but she asked me to hold on while she transferred me to an English-speaker.

This is the conversation I had with the new person (who I will call "Ono"):

Ono: Can I help you?
Me: I don't know -- you called me.
Ono: We called you?
Me: Yes.
Ono: Would you like to study?
Me: Let's see. I have a BA in History from Princeton University and I will be 76-years-old in December. What courses would you suggest for me?
Ono: Thank you. Goodbye.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I had a lot of fun yesterday. The kids on my kibbutz, none of whom (like most Israelis) had ever gone trick or treating before, were divided into two groups -- ages 6&7 and ages 8-12. I had 48 Halloween-themed goodies sacks. one for each child, full of all kinds of candies (mostly chocolates) and a few small toys. The younger kids came to my patio shortly before sundown, and I kept it fully lit in order not to scare them (although the screams, moans, and other spooky sounds I downloaded from YouTube still kept the holiday's spirit). The older ones came at night when my patio was dark except for some candles which were lit. The kids loved it but soon afterward, I got a What's App message from my sister in Arizona reading, "Loved the video!!! One question...When did we ever need a ticket for Trick or Treat"?

I had no idea of what she was talking about and phoned her to ask. She said she received a video from someone, she did not know who, showing the younger children trick or treating and my giving them the goodies. I asked her to forward the video to me, she did, and what she thought were "tickets" were "thank you" notes that each of the children had made. I explained this to her and asked who sent her the video. She did not know but told me the telephone number of the person who sent it to her. I recognized it as my son's, and called him to ask where he got it (he doesn't live on the kibbutz) and he told me that a friend of his who is the father of one of the children, made the video. and sent it to him.

I am going to have a mini-Halloween tomorrow. I am meeting Marina at 2 pm when she gets out of work. From there, we are going to a strip mall, where I will be in three different stores to pick up things that my daughter has told me to buy (two for the baby and one for her). Then we will head to the supermarket to do her weekly shopping. At 5:30, we will be at her house and she will go upstairs to put her groceries in the refrigerator and give her daughters Halloween-themed Corona masks. I will be waiting in my car, wearing the frightening mask, and when the three of them arrive, the girls have to say "Trick or Treat" to get the same things the children on the kibbutz got -- while I have the spooky sounds blasting.

From there we will head to their favorite restaurant where, from 6 pm on, is having a BOGO sale for dinner, meaning I get away with only paying for two of us instead of all four.

mrsbettygreen

Trader Group
I had a lot of fun yesterday. The kids on my kibbutz, none of whom (like most Israelis) had ever gone trick or treating before, were divided into two groups -- ages 6&7 and ages 8-12. I had 48 Halloween-themed goodies sacks. one for each child, full of all kinds of candies (mostly chocolates) and a few small toys. The younger kids came to my patio shortly before sundown, and I kept it fully lit in order not to scare them (although the screams, moans, and other spooky sounds I downloaded from YouTube still kept the holiday's spirit). The older ones came at night when my patio was dark except for some candles which were lit. The kids loved it but soon afterward, I got a What's App message from my sister in Arizona reading, "Loved the video!!! One question...When did we ever need a ticket for Trick or Treat"?

I had no idea of what she was talking about and phoned her to ask. She said she received a video from someone, she did not know who, showing the younger children trick or treating and my giving them the goodies. I asked her to forward the video to me, she did, and what she thought were "tickets" were "thank you" notes that each of the children had made. I explained this to her and asked who sent her the video. She did not know but told me the telephone number of the person who sent it to her. I recognized it as my son's, and called him to ask where he got it (he doesn't live on the kibbutz) and he told me that a friend of his who is the father of one of the children, made the video. and sent it to him.

I am going to have a mini-Halloween tomorrow. I am meeting Marina at 2 pm when she gets out of work. From there, we are going to a strip mall, where I will be in three different stores to pick up things that my daughter has told me to buy (two for the baby and one for her). Then we will head to the supermarket to do her weekly shopping. At 5:30, we will be at her house and she will go upstairs to put her groceries in the refrigerator and give her daughters Halloween-themed Corona masks. I will be waiting in my car, wearing the frightening mask, and when the three of them arrive, the girls have to say "Trick or Treat" to get the same things the children on the kibbutz got -- while I have the spooky sounds blasting.

From there we will head to their favorite restaurant where, from 6 pm on, is having a BOGO sale for dinner, meaning I get away with only paying for two of us instead of all four.
YOU ARE A HOOT !!!!!
bet all the kids love it !!!!!
:):):):):)

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I parked my car around the corner from the main entrance to Marina's house, and told Marina to call me the moment that the three of them were about to leave. She asked me why and I explained that I did not want to be sitting in the car, wearing the frightening mask and have the horror sounds blasting for more than a minute.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because I don't want the police to get suspicious. What do I tell them when they ask what I am doing? The truth does not sound too good.

"I am waiting for two little girls to show up and then I will give them bags of candy, tell them to get into my car and I will take them somewhere to eat."

I figured that at a minimum, the police would haul me to the station and I would be locked up until I can get a bail bondsman to let me out.

That made sense to Marina and we worked it the way I wanted. Olga (age 5) spotted my car, which she knows very well, and ran up to it until she saw me wearing the mask and heard the recorded screams and immediately ran back to grab hold of Marina.

Apparently, the bags of goodies she got after Polina, (the 12-year-old), told me "Trick or treat" put Olga's mind at rest. The restaurant with the BOGO offer wouldn't begin serving until 6 pm, and this was 4:30, so we decided to eat at the strip mall. I wanted to go to Pizza Hut, but Polina preferred Micky D's, and Marina agreed. When Olga heard that I would be eating elsewhere, she said that she preferred eating with me and joined me for pizza.

At least the Pizza Hut manager knows me well, so if the police were hunting for me he would be able to assure them that while I might be crazy, I am harmless.

Gardencook

Trader Group
So, Microsoft apparently is determined to FORCE me to go to a technician despite the fact we have ABSOLUTELY no time to do so.

The computer is now virtually worthless, as it is in a loop of "failing to install" that junk update constantly throughout every day -- shutting down my computer every half hour to an hour.

It started "failing to install" this update as soon as we hit the road for Oregon in September, just as it started "failing to install" an update last spring when we hit the road to Boise for our anniversary. The local technicians FINALLY got my computer working a little better after a couple months of misery, but that ended a week or two later when Microsoft messed it up installing another update.

This is the same problem that destroyed my last computer, but the only answer I get from Microsoft or outside technicians is that "some computers just won't install updates and there is no way to know in advance if you are buying one." I can't help but be suspicious of Microsoft motives when the bad updates "just happen" to start coming as soon as computer warranties expire. That has happened on THREE different computer manufacturers now -- four or five if you count the problems DH's computers have had!

Today, it just finished "failing to install," forcing me to reboot and it is already trying to install the update that won't install once again -- rendering my computer "unresponsive" most of the time. When I started this post, the installation was stuck at 14 percent, which allows me to write at a very slow rate -- waiting 30 seconds or more before words appear on the screen.

When the update reaches 20 percent, it stalls out entirely and you just have to set it aside. If you shut the computer down when it is stuck at 20 percent, it just starts installing the same piece of junk all over again as soon as you reboot and all the previous wait time was wasted.

When it reaches 100 percent, everything flips to "failed to install" once more. Then you get an ever shorter reprieve before the whole loop starts over again. The update "fails to install" at least three times a day, but Microsoft only records the failure in the history once every day or two. Then when it records about 20 failures, it changes the number on the update and erases all the previous failures. Microsoft appears to be doing some pretty heavy butt covering in an attempt to avoid a class action lawsuit -- which it DEFINITELY deserves.

DH had to rush a flight in at the end of the week and I couldn't be without a computer while he was gone, since that is how we were trying to stay in touch. He sent me emails Friday letting me know he was on his way and I didn't get them until he arrived home. He had to leave the Holiday Inn at about 4 a.m. that morning, had been forced to change rooms upon arrival when his room had no heat and got hot water for a shower Friday morning, but couldn't get any from the sink faucet for his shave.

I guess the Internet could have been bad at the hotel which would explain that email not arriving in a timely fashion, but you can't blame Holiday Inn for the ones that he sent from the Memphis and Salt Lake airports not arriving until after he reached home. The ones he sent on his flight over and earlier emails from the hotel arrived without problems.

I had to go to the airport HOPING he was on the plane and assuming things were so chaotic he hadn't had time to write. As it turned out, his flight day went smoothly and he was writing all along the way I just wasn't getting his emails. Since Delta has eliminated all but one of our flights out he got stuck going through Atlanta as well on his way over -- adding HOURS to his flight time -- but we didn't have problems emailing back and forth.

The reason he had to rush the flight was because he has been trying to get his eye surgery taken care of for a couple months now, with delay after delay. The surgeon normally only comes here one day a month. He needed to get back home to rest before the surgery, rather than having his blood pressure up when he arrived at the eye doctor.

It is scheduled once again for tomorrow and another on the other eye a week later. There is NO WAY we have time to mess with computer technicians right now and once we take it in, Microsoft will mess up the computer with another update within a couple weeks anyway. When it is installing two or three updates each and every day, there is no way around it.

Microsoft technicians deny they are doing that many updates each day, but technicians from three outside shops have confirmed that I am correct about the number of updates Microsoft is doing, but claim I just have to live with it. :mad:

Spent a chunk of time trying to get my computer synced with daylight savings time after the updates this morning apparently messed up that, as well!

Last night, DH was running around changing all the clocks before he went to bed, so that we wouldn't be confused this morning. My computer had the correct time, even though he had set back all the other clocks in the house. When I couldn't sleep, I was up in the middle of the night and was relieved to see that my computer had "fallen back" as it was supposed to and it had the correct time after the time change. However, it was unresponsive due to another update so I was forced to shut it down again.

After this morning's updates, my computer was off by an hour again so it had apparently undone the daylight savings time correction it did in the middle of the night.

When I checked the time settings on my computer to correct things, it was set for Mountain Time -- which is our zone -- but it claimed Mountain Time was 2 p.m. when it was actually 1 p.m. I don't know if it suddenly decided I lived in Arizona (which doesn't have Daylight Savings) or somewhere else.

I know on Friday I got onto a local store website that KNOWS we live on the opposite side of the state from Boise. The computer zoned in on Meridian, Idaho like always (apparently where our Internet signal arises) and changed my store settings AGAIN. When I tried to change it back to our location and submitted our zip code, the computer told the store I was shopping in MEMPHIS! I NEVER hit the "find my location" button on websites, because it ALWAYS thinks we live in Meridian -- but I've NEVER had Memphis pop up before!

I don't have CLUE where that came from other than DH had been in Memphis, so HIS computer and phone might have been there, but mine certainly wasn't. He actually spent most of his time on the border in Mississippi and Arkansas, but Tennessee was the regional hub he used to get there, not his actual destination. DH was emailing from his phone and we don't even have the app for that particular store loaded on his cell phone.

Memphis is an hour ahead of us in Central Time, so it would have been 2 p.m. there this afternoon when it was actually 1 p.m. here and the computer thought it was 2 p.m. here, but Memphis is NOT in Mountain time as the computer claimed my computer was set and both my computer and DH's as well as his cell phone were in Idaho when the confusion was happening. I've never instructed my computer to sync to DH's equipment. If it was doing so, it was doing it without my consent -- and none of my settings claim they are synced so HOW did the computer come up with the city of Memphis in particular if it wasn't "spying?" Why not someplace like New York or Los Angeles if it was just a random mistake?

That is TOO much of a "coincidence" for me to believe. My computer has never even been to Memphis and it has been a lot closer to Portland and Bend, Oregon in recent weeks than Tennessee. If it was going to get "confused" about where it was located, those would have been much more logical locations for it to hone in on.

When I tried to straighten out the mess, the screen had the time zone settings, the automatic sync and the button that allowed me to change things manually grayed out, so I couldn't change any of them. I restarted the computer, but the time was still off and the buttons were still grayed out. I honestly can't remember what I did, but I finally got the "sync time" button to change color. The first time I hit the button, it STILL claimed it was 2 p.m., but after the second button hit, the computer finally put it back to 1 p.m. again where it belonged.

I wonder how long that will last? I certainly DO NOT need my computer confusing me more by moving my time forward and backward by an hour on a whim without any warning.

Last edited:

mtka

Trader Group
@Gardencook can you pause the updates?

• Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
  • Click Advanced Options.
  • Locate Pause Updates, and click the toggle to On.
  • Restart your computer.

Gardencook

Trader Group
@Gardencook can you pause the updates?

• Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
  • Click Advanced Options.
  • Locate Pause Updates, and click the toggle to On.
  • Restart your computer.
No, I tried to pause updates last spring when we went to Boise for our anniversary and Microsoft continues to download updates completely ignoring the pause.

I've explained this to at least two different computer repair shops and the technicians have confirmed that it doesn't matter whether you pause updates or not, Microsoft will continue to download them regardless -- and 99 percent of the time I DO NOT get the pop-up I'm supposed to get warning me that Microsoft is about to shutdown my computer for an update. I've had that problem on two different computers now, but Microsoft technicians insist I'm just blind and don't see the warnings -- even though the computer shuts down when I'm working on it while it is sitting on my lap.

The way Windows 10 is designed is absolutely ridiculous!

When we used to call Microsoft the technicians would simply hang up on us repeatedly when they couldn't get the problems fixed. The last time we tried to call, a voicemail informed us that they no longer accept calls and everything must be handled remotely online now -- which is impossible when your computer is constantly shutting down.

Since this exactly what happened with our last computers, this problem has been going on for years now.

Several months ago, DH's USB ports quit working after a Microsoft update. When I checked online, that was a pretty common complaint after that update. Others complain that Microsoft updates will suddenly disable their Bluetooth capability and it is virtually impossible to fix.

DH's computer has always had poor sound -- something you can't test before buying a computer any longer.

He used external speakers that connected with a USB cable until Microsoft apparently broke his ports. You could argue that they "broke" on their own, but why does EVERYTHING work fine until Microsoft does and update?

Now he must use a Bluetooth speaker which connects wirelessly, so apparently he still has Bluetooth, but he can't print anything without USB ports and the technicians claim it would cost more than a new computer to fix them.

On another update our computers would no longer connect wirelessly with the printer. Wireless printing worked FINE before that.

I must now connect to the printer with a USB cable in order to print anything, but since DH's computer no longer has USB capability he must either email me anything he wants printed or move it to a thumb drive and print from my computer.

Then at least 50 percent of the time, these stupid updates disconnect my computer from the printer, so even the USB cable won't allow me to print and the computer wants to save everything to PDF instead of printing. That is what happened again yesterday after my computer suddenly went to the wrong time, after it had fallen back to the correct time overnight with the time change.

When that happens I've got to restart the computer -- even if I've just restarted it due to the update. Then when I plug the USB cable back into the computer the printer connection will sometimes reappear. When that doesn't happen after a couple restarts, we've then got to go through the entire printer software reinstallation process once more!

I lose my printer connection at least once or twice a week due to updates and that has been going on for months now.

mtka

Trader Group
@Gardencook, I'm sorry it's happening to you. I know it's been going on for years. Mine has slowed down dramatically in the last few months because of updating issues. It's super frustrating. I use my phone or tablet most of the time now but it's hard to type a long reply on the phone, at least for me. Do you at least have a smartphone that you can get your email on?

We took a 150 mile round trip yesterday to see my cousin's teenage daughter in a horse show. We hadn't seen the family in the last two years, so it was fun and the weather was great. We lost our big horses in the spring, so we miss seeing them too. We stopped at McD's for a quick lunch before getting on the interstate, what was our normal cheap meal, a hamburger, mcchicken sandwich, and the app free large fries increased by more than 50 cents. Then as we were rushing home before dark to feed the herd, we stopped for a $5 pizza from Little Caesar's. They are no longer $5, but $5.88 with tax. I think that makes them $5.55 now. It doesn't seem like much, but its more that a 10% rise. We made home with the sun setting, the animals were sure they were going to starve to death.