Whatcha Doing?

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Re above post: I finally managed to speak with the hematologist at my hospital and he told me I should NOT get my blood taken on Thursday as it will damage the effectiveness of the vaccine. He gave me an appointment for two weeks later.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We had another deluge hit us this afternoon and the cooler temperatures have certainly been pleasant. We've gotten some pretty big claps of thunder the past couple days, but thankfully, not much lightning. We DEFINITELY need the water!!! We got virtually NO snow last winter.

The nearby city that didn't get any rain yesterday is now flooding. It is a bigger problem there than it is here. Both cities are built along rivers and that one has a beautiful greenbelt where they have been doing too much construction the past several years. The other city is built on a flat plain and we are built in a valley with many houses in the hills.

The flooding along the banks of our river downtown was so bad years ago that the Army Corps of Engineers did some work. We now have an ugly cement canal that no longer floods the congested areas.

The closest I recall us coming to a flood was about 35 years ago when temperatures used to drop to 30 degrees below every winter. The blizzards were so bad that the city had to hire every dump truck available to haul snow off our streets and dump it in the parks -- just to keep streets passable. We lived on a treacherous hill and DH headed to work not knowing if he would be able to make it home that night. The ice was building up so badly at the bridge at the foot of our hill they thought it was going to wash out that day.

I wasn't thrilled about being stuck on the top of the hill with DH at the bottom of it, but we had plenty of food on hand so as long as they kept the power and natural gas flowing I'd be okay. Thankfully, they got the ice broken and the bridge didn't go.

Some "brilliant" individuals tried to get the canal removed several years ago so we could have a nice greenbelt, as well. Frankly, I don't care how ugly the canal is, as long as we don't have homes and businesses flooding I'm willing to let all the tax dollars the Army spent building that thing work for us.

bugweena

Trader Group
We have been working in the yard despite the high temperatures. We had a sunroom built where our deck was off the back of the house. We made a sitting area underneath and it needed some plants. We were able to purchase what we needed to fill a little space with some plants that should stay green all winter. We have a few more shrubs to plant today. Best of all we purchased from local growers.

One was large nursery I have been hearing good things about. When we pulled in I told the guy it was our first time there. He said what have you been waiting for, we've been here 45 years! We will definitely go back in the spring. It's a self serve place, most plants are named and priced but you have to drive around and pick them out and google the details yourself. Then bring to the checkout and pay. No Tax!

Got the second round of plants at a local nursery I have been visiting since last year's discovery on FB. I get all my garden plants there and was able to get a few shade loving plants for the new patio bed. Luckily we have had rain here and there and my rain barrels are full so watering these until they get established won't be an issue.

The final round of plants was from a local woman-owned nursery that posts her 'overstock' on FB. We are able to get 1 gallon shrubs from her for $4-6 each! Selection is limited but we've always been able to find plants that fit our current needs. I would much rather support my local nurseries and growers than buy at HD or Lowes. Total was about $150 for a ton of plants that would have been 2-4x higher and probably lower quality than big box stores.

Cathy

Happy Birthday Cathy!!
Fillies Fan: how are they deciding who gets the 3rd Covid shots in Israel? I hear so many different answers to whether there will be one or not here in the States.

Also, are there any anti-vaxxers in your country or is that current problem mostly in the U.S.?

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
At present, the following people are eligible for the third jab:

1. Anyone age 60 and above who had the second jab over 5 months ago.
2. Anyone with medical conditions which put them at more risk for Corona who had the second jap over 5 months ago.

Yes, there are anti-vaxxers here, For quite a while most Ultra-Orthodox Jews and Arabs were anti-vaxxers but today it is only a small number of them.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We took a nice overnight trip out of town. We went to Logan, Utah (just across the Idaho border) via Bear Lake.

The lake was still beautiful, but very low and the weather was beautiful overall the first day.

It was interesting to spend the night in Logan and get to know it a little better. Got the chance to visit some places we've always been interested in and do a little shopping, as well. Even though the city actually has a smaller population, it has a lot better shopping because it is the hub for the region while corporate America has decided not to consider our city a "hub" and is leaving us high and dry on many fronts.

The second day was a strange one. The California wildfire smoke moved into the region and cut visibility down to virtually ZERO. It was actually rather frightening heading home when you couldn't see the Wasatch Mountains AT All in many places. They normally tower over the entire region. Things weren't any better up here in Idaho while we were gone and I've been fighting a headache all day due to the smoke, which they claim will still be with us for at least another day or so.

We were actually north of Salt Lake City, but this video is EXACTLY what we experienced as we devolved from a beautiful sunny morning to what looked like pea-soup smog by the evening.

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
My son spent the weekend here and when he got home he was notified that contact tracing showed that he had been with someone who now has the virus. He was advised to be tested, which he did on Sunday night. His results were to be sent to him within 24 hours.

As I was planning on visiting Marina and her daughters today, and my own daughter (who is scheduled to give birth at the end of the month), I did not want to risk infecting any of them and got a "rapid test" today from Magen David Adom (Israel's equivalent of the Red Cross). The results were supposed to be sent to my phone within 15 minutes.

Instead, they took 3 hours and before I got them my son's results showed he does not have the virus. Okay, if he did not have it then I could not have caught it from him and I felt free to visit Marina. We were all about to enter a restaurant when I got a message saying that my test shows that I have the virus. It also said that the result was not definite and that I have to be in isolation for 48 hours and then go for a more definitive test.

I immediately drove Marina and the girls back home (without eating) and am now locked in my house. I hope that any of you who is reading this post has a good anti-virus program in your computer as I don't want you to catch it from me.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I misread the notice that I received. I did not have to be in isolation for 48 hours and then be re-tested. Instead, I had to take the more definitive (PCR) test within 48 hours and if I failed to do I would automatically be ordered into 14 days isolation.

Therefore, I went today for the PCR test and was there when the doors opened at 2 pm. Talk about potential super-spreader events! There were some 50 of us, all suspected for various reasons of having COVID-19, jammed together in a small waiting room for about 30 minutes before we were allowed in on a one-by-one basis.

I had to fill out a form in Hebrew on my phone while we waited and I have never texted in Hebrew (only rarely in English) and a young woman saw my problem and volunteered to help me. She filled out the form and sent it in for me. One of the questions on the form was my telephone number, and when she finished I told her, "I want you to know that it has been at least 50 years since a young woman as beautiful as you asked for my telephone number." She and her boyfriend (husband?) cracked up in laughter.

I am supposed to get the results sometime tomorrow.

On the bright side of all of this is that another young girl is going to be vaccinated as a result. I have mentioned Marina and her family many times. While the parents have gotten the vaccine, the daughters have not. The youngest (age 5) cannot be given it but the 12-year-old can, but only with the parents' approval which the husband did not want to give. As a combined result of the current spiking of Delta cases in Israel and the family having been with me when I was notified that the first test showed me as having the virus, he has now agreed to get his daughter vaccinated and they made an appointment for Thursday evening.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We've had several days of constant downpours which started with a huge storm that rolled through in the middle of the night a few days ago. It made it difficult to sleep, because the lightning to the north was so bright it was nearly blinding with our eyes closed. Then we'd hold our breath and wait for the rolling thunder that kept coming and coming and coming -- until it rolled over the top of our house -- then we'd hear it rolling away to the south of us. Storms like that don't usually last hours around here like they did that night.

The rain has brought more terrible flooding to Utah and yet the entire region -- Salt Lake as well as us -- is STILL socked in with smoke from the California wildfires. I don't remember when we last saw our mountains clearly around here.

Normally a good rain will clear the air of all the wildfire smoke, but we were above 100 degrees at the beginning of the week and now we're doing well to get above 50. The weather forecasters claim that as long as our temperatures stay this low the smoke isn't going anywhere.

If it isn't one extreme, it is another!

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
In about 30 minutes I will be leaving my house to visit my granddaughter for the first time. My daughter has ordered me never to speak to the baby in Hebrew as she wants her to hear (and learn) good English and not bad Hebrew. :oops:

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
The amount of information coming out about this hurricane has been making my head spin. We were a direct hit, and then we were not. It still seems like it will come very close to the East End of Long Island and we will have high winds and lots of rain . Basically, our town told us we cannot drive around our island and only emergency personnel are allowed on the roads tomorrow. Rosie and I will survive and Crankie will take care of the other house since he has to keep an eye on his boat. Time will tell how much damage Henri will do.

jastwins

Trader Group
As of now, we have had lots of rain and it is very windy. The only problem I had was a large branch from my neighbor’s tree that came down this morning near my two cars. It was too heavy to move so I placed a blanket between my car and a branch limb so I backed my car out of the driveway. My van had its antenna taken off and I will look for it tomorrow. Both cars are on the street now.

bugweena

Trader Group
Hope you don't get anymore damage @jastwins from the storm. The storms have wreaked havoc and caused massive flooding in my home state of TN. Mother Nature is certainly keeping us all on our toes whether it be from storms, drought, oppressive heat, wildfires, etc. @Fillies Fan sure glad your test was negative. My workplace (private university) has mandated vaccination by September 21. The latest number I saw was 90%. Of course there are some provisions for waivers but I am not sure what they encompass since I was fully vaccinated in March. Looking forward to getting a booster once it is available. Our university went almost one month without a mask mandate. It was reinstated late July for all indoor campus buildings. Local counties have mandates as well. Not sure where we are headed in this but I don't not have a problem wearing a mask in public spaces.

jastwins

Trader Group
@bugweena, we had more damage in thunderstorms than this storm brought us. All is well and there was some residual rain today. Once again the forecasters were not accurate about where the storm would land. It ended up being the state of Rhode Island and not Long Island. We are not used to so much rain at once and we are very lucky it was not worse.
The next few days will be hot and humid and I just can't wait for some cool fall weather.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, we got an "urgent notice" from our car insurance company today. It seems that we are losing the insurance on our Subaru if we don't pay the bill by the end of this month! :eek:

Of course, there are a few minor problems with that. We don't own a Subaru and never have owned one, plus the insurance on the cars we do own is completely paid. Meanwhile, if this was a "final notice," where did the previous ones vanish to? We could have gotten this snafu taken care of much earlier if we'd gotten previous notices.

Since we didn't want our insurance to get cut off by mistake, DH had to call the agent's office today to find out what was going on. The secretary said they have an automatic notification system on their computer and the notice must have been sent to us by mistake. She said she'd have to look through the files and figure out whose insurance is actually ready to expire so they could be notified. Wonder how many hours of wasted time that computer system built as a labor saver is going to cost her?

Perhaps it just comes from having a newspaper editor for a husband all these years, but the incompetence EVERYWHERE is driving us crazy these days. The grammar mistakes in headlines and stories on the Internet are unreal. Saw a Youtube video the other day from a local news station in another state and it didn't even know how to spell the name of a small town within its viewership!

Then yesterday we drove by an out-of-town restaurant. It is a "pancake and waffle house" which has been in business for decades. Apparently, it wants to keep up with the times, but hasn't quite mastered all these acronyms that have become so popular with texting. It has a new promotion called "Waffle Wednesday" and the few letters below it explained "BYO" -- which last I knew meant "Bring Your Own."

I'm assuming they are probably offering a "Buy One, Get One" deal of some sort and didn't know that is B1G1 -- perhaps they didn't have any numerals to put on the board. Who knows? Ever since then I've pictured myself walking into a waffle house with a box of Eggos and telling them I wanted to take advantage of the deal.

Of course, we haven't set foot in that restaurant for decades. It was at least 35 years ago when friends -- a couple -- from Boise were visiting and we ate there. The husband had MS and the hostess had an unbelievable FIT over the fact that he was in a wheelchair. We were so disgusted we've refused to eat in the place ever since -- even though the hostess was an elderly lady who I'm sure has long since retired/died.

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
A ghostly visit?

Today, one of my neighbors spotted me going into our village shop and asked, "How is your grandchild doing?"

This surprised me a bit as I had not told her about the birth and I asked her how she found out.

She said that she had a dream over a week ago that my ex (who died three years ago) was walking down a white staircase and asked about my daughter. The neighbor, the next morning, phoned my son and asked if everything was okay and my son told her about the birth. The neighbor asked when it happened and he told her -- just about the same time that she was having the dream.

I would actually like to believe that this was more than just a coincidence, as the biggest disappointment in my ex's life was that she never had any grandchildren. Finding out now that she does would certainly allow her to "sleep in Heavenly peace."

mtka

Trader Group
The crew has arrived to dig up our side yard looking for a water main leak. After a double water bill and now a triple water bill, there is no doubt there is a leak. It could be worse, the main runs about a football field length under a barn before it gets to a well box. Then they connected the new city water to the old well water plumbing. Hopefully it's in the yard and not under the deck or tree.