Whatcha Doing?

mrsbettygreen

Trader Group
Can the women on this site help me to understand the biggest mystery facing men: women.

I have posted here many times about Marina and her family. If I have not made it clear before, let me do so now -- our relationship is purely platonic. She is very happily married, faithful to her husband, even younger than my daughter, and I am certain that if I even tried to kiss her on the lips, she would refuse to ever see me again, so jealousy cannot explain what happened last night.

There is another Russian family who recently moved into my village. The mother (Margarita) is even younger than Marina. This family's financial condition is not as bad as Marina's, but they still could not afford to buy a bicycle for their daughter. I bought it for her. I am planning on taking Margarita and her daughter on Monday to a strip mall near Marina's house to introduce them to Belgian waffles.

I am meeting Marina today for lunch, and when we made our plans on the phone last night, I told her about Margarita and the waffles. I asked Marina if she would like to join us, as the only language either one of them is truly fluent in is Russian. I was certain that they would both enjoy chatting and might become good friends.

Marina flat-out refused. She wouldn't tell me why, other than to say that she doesn't want to meet Margarita. Can any of you guess why? I certainly cannot.

"Can the women on this site help me to understand the biggest mystery facing men: women."
:D:D:D
never.............................................LOL LOL LOL LOL

betty

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, I'm almost afraid to say anything. Could my computer ACTUALLY be working properly? How long will it take for a Microsoft update to mess it up this time? :eek: After four years, two computers and two repair shops I'm absolutely terrified to get my hopes up.

We took the computer BACK to the shop again yesterday after a NIGHTMARE weekend where NOTHING worked right. That computer NEVER should have been returned to us in that condition and we were NOT pleased.

I detailed all the problems to the fellow at the front desk -- it was a LONG list, because the computer was MUCH worse after the technician worked on it than it was before. Apparently, Microsoft updates won't install properly on my computer without a special tool and the "tool" messed up everything else in the process of "fixing" the shutdowns. Never have gotten an explanation of why if my computer is "unique" in that it won't accept Microsoft updates, the previous computer made by a different manufacturer did EXACTLY the same thing.

After the "tool" installation, the computer was completely unresponsive ALL the time instead of every 15 to 45 minutes after I logged on. It was completely unusable. I could no longer access websites I commonly used, Walmart was convinced I was a hacking robot and wouldn't even allow me to browse its site and even Microsoft sent a notification that there was something wrong with my account. Microsoft notifications hardly ever show up on my computer like they are supposed to and they didn't on the previous computer either. Microsoft technicians claim I am just blind and never see them.

It was obvious the technician had installed the tool last week and set the computer on the shelf without bothering to test it afterward to see if it was running properly.

I went down the list while explaining the problems to the fellow at the desk. He asked to keep the list, but then explained he couldn't read it, because he couldn't read cursive. I couldn't type the list on my computer, because it was IMPOSSIBLE to type anything after the technician got done with it.

I also showed the fellow the huge file of screenshots I've taken ever since they supposedly "fixed" the computer last autumn by installing a new fan. The evidence I'd collected was pretty damning proof that the computer was NEVER fixed. I also pointed out all the screenshots I'd taken over the weekend with all the NEW problems the technician's work had created.

We also mentioned that my computer would stream video when we brought it into the shop, but when we got it home Friday our Roku would stream video and DH's computer would stream video, but my computer was completely incapable of streaming like it had before. Microsoft has REPEATEDLY blamed our Internet provider for all the problems, but that shot that theory to pieces.

As we were wrapping up our discussion a technician with a really snarky attitude emerged from a back room. We can only assume he was the one who did such sloppy work, because he began to argue that I could have a computer that overheated or a computer that was unresponsive, those were my only options. I told him that I shouldn't have to put up with a computer that takes three to five minutes to open a single email and at that point the fellow at the desk agreed that what I'd shown him was NOT normal behavior for a computer.

Since they "finished" working on the computer the same day we dropped it off last week and then didn't bother to call us for the next three days while it sat there unused and we struggled along trying to share one computer, we decided they were going to get nagged until they fixed it this week.

DH called this afternoon and AGAIN got a runaround from the technician about how we had to choose whether I wanted slow or shutdowns and we told him that was NOT acceptable.

The technician insisted that I'd just have to live with an unbearably slow computer and that was life. It was supposedly fixed, but it was running slow and we could lump it. The conversation was so distasteful I couldn't bring myself to even go back.

I couldn't motivate myself for another fight, so delayed going in, then DH got another call from the fellow at the front desk about an hour later. He said the technicians had gone home for the day and we could wait to pick it up in the morning if we wanted. DH told him we would prefer to have it back this evening and he headed over by himself.

The desk fellow has been very empathetic throughout the ordeal and has seemed to be listening and in agreement with our complaints -- however, he isn't a technician. He did walk DH through what they had done. Supposedly they had changed the settings so that the computer would run a little hotter without shutting down and that would make it less unresponsive. He had it streaming video when DH walked through the door, so he was obviously testing it before he arrived.

Interestingly enough, the owner walked into the shop while the fellow was explaining things. We've never met him before, but can't help but wonder if they were beginning to get a bit worried about a lawsuit after they saw the huge file of screenshots I'd taken over the past seven months that proved EXACTLY what I've been telling them all along. Apparently, the owner stopped and watched as the desk clerk explained the latest.

The last phone call was a REALLY odd one, and it was almost like the technicians were sent home on purpose after the owner got involved. DH said the owner seemed like a nice fellow and claimed they have checked all the systems ...

The end result? My computer has been running like a new machine since DH brought it home. If this is a "slow" computer, I can't imagine what a fast one is like. Why does it have to be such a struggle to get anything done right?

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
And after the last post, I had another thermal shutdown followed by another Microsoft update 15 minutes after I let the computer sit for a while and signed back in.

I signed out for a while and when I signed back in, Microsoft did another update and now the computer is unresponsive again! :mad:

That "fix" lasted less than 12 hours due to Microsoft updates.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Today being the Fourth of July, I (naturally) took three Russian females to celebrate -- Marina and her two daughters.

After treating them to gigantic ice cream desserts, we went clothes shopping -- but with one restriction: they were not allowed to buy anything with a British motif. It just did not seem fitting to me on Independence Day.

Then I told Marina that I wanted a Fourth of July barbecue in absentia. She had no idea of what I meant, so I explained that they had to have a barbecued dinner that night but I would be there only in spirit. I know that Genna (Marina's husband) enjoys grilling steaks and we went to a butcher to pick up four of them.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, the past week has been an adventure! We each knocked several items off our "bucket list" and it all came about so unexpectedly. Had you told me this was coming six months ago, I wouldn't have believed you. The hurdles were almost insurmountable.

It was early April when DH noticed that the Teton Valley Balloon Rally was going to be held this year. It is one of those things he'd always hoped to do "someday," but never quite found the opportunity. We figured this year was now or never, so the hunt began. By the end of the dayt we had reservations for a trip we had no clue we'd be taking 24 or 48 hours earlier.

The rally itself is free to attend. Of course, there is always a catch. While the rally is free, you have to park your car to watch the balloons launch and parking cost $15. Still not a terrible price for some beautiful entertainment -- especially when it is held so close to our backyard. Driggs, Idaho where the rally is held is only a couple hours from our home.

We decided to head up for a day, but since you needed to park about 5 a.m. for a 6 a.m. balloon launch, an overnight stay would make the trip much more enjoyable than heading up in the middle of the night ... Once you start thinking, the trouble REALLY begins.

The Teton Valley of Idaho bills itself as "The Other Side of the Tetons." You actually get beautiful views of the back of the Tetons from our state and Driggs is actually only about 30 miles from Jackson, Wyoming -- it is just you've got to cross a VERY steep mountain pass to get there, so we generally take the other route.

However, every summer Jackson holds the Grand Teton Music Festival with a remarkable orchestra of extremely gifted musicians from all over the country and a very talented conductor Sir Donald Runnicles -- who spends part of his year conducting in Jackson, part conducting in Berlin, part conducting in Scotland and part conducting in Atlanta and somehow managed to fit in occasional trips to California, as well.

The festival this year was kicking off with concerts in the park and if we spent a couple days in Jackson we could enjoy them.

Jackson has been taken over by the wealthy the past years, so it is tough to afford to visit even though it is so close. DH and generally only get the opportunity to do it in the off season -- sometimes for our anniversary, AFTER ski season, but BEFORE the National Parks open and lodging costs go through the roof again. We used to be able to enjoy it occasionally in the autumn when the parks slowed down, but those days are now past and fall is generally more expensive then summer now that people realize how gorgeous it is -- even when it isn't snowing.

The locals in both Driggs and Jackson told us the latest version of what is going on up there. Apparently, after the millionaires pushed out many of the locals, the billionaires have now moved into Jackson and are pushing out the millionaires -- who love the area so much they are moving across the border into Idaho, where the locals are now being pushed out there, as well.

That was definitely reflected in lodging prices which were astronomical this year compared to already unreal prices previous years, but we did FINALLY manage to locate affordable housing -- and I actually got to cross another item off my bucket list.

Jackson has an old historic "motor court" that was built in the 1930s right after Americans fell in love with the automobile and needed travel housing. It is a bunch of log cabins set on the property of an old homestead -- which is still standing and available to rent. It is a peaceful park-like setting that fits the Old West Theme of Jackson perfectly.

The prices have always been reasonable in the past, but the place is only open five months out of the year and getting into it is nearly impossible. Every time I've checked it is either fully booked or closed for the season.

DH called and we got in, because we didn't realize it at the time, but online reservations had not yet started. When DH asked about a senior discount, the owner broke out laughing and said that WAS the discount, because as soon as May arrived prices were going up. When DH asked "How much?" the owner replied, "Whatever the market will bear" and with the flip of a calendar page the cabin we'd reserved at the lower price DOUBLED in price for anyone booking later. While we loved our stay, we most likely will never afford it again.

Then thanks to Microsoft, we nearly missed the concerts which had precipitated the reservation! :mad:

The day concert tickets went on sale, Microsoft decided to do more HUGE cumulative updates. I actually had tickets for the July 4th Patriotic Pops concert placed in my cart, but before I could enter a credit card number, Microsoft did ANOTHER of its daily thermal shutdowns!

By the time DH could get his computer booted up, the concert had sold out. He was offered a chance to get on the waiting list, but then Microsoft started messing with his computer and the wheel kept spinning and wouldn't stop so we had no idea if we'd made it onto the list or not. By then mine was booted back up and I tried to get on the waiting list, but before I could hit the print button with our confirmation, Microsoft shut down my computer AGAIN!!!

After rebooting his computer, DH was able to get tickets to the Friday evening "Film Spectacular" concert, but we were up in the air about whether we'd be able to enjoy the Sunday concert until the concert was ready to begin. It seemed like we should have a good chance since we both ended up getting on the waiting list and had both spots six and seven AND eight and nine on the waiting list reserved -- which we only found out about by email, since Microsoft made such a muddle of things.

We did have a back-up plan, since Teton Village Ski Resort had a Jazz Concert that night, but we really didn't want to move the car since our cabin was RIGHT in downtown Jackson and we'd be able to see the fireworks at Snow King Ski Resort that night without moving our car. (Traffic is a madhouse in Jackson this time of year.)

There was also a rodeo at Snow King that night, but it got ruled out quickly when I saw the price of tickets. :eek:

In the end, the heat got so bad ALL fireworks -- personal and public -- had to be banned in Jackson due to the extreme fire danger, but we did get to see the concert after a LONG wait in line where our number on the waiting list didn't make a bit of difference. It turned into chaos, which WOULD NOT have been necessary had Microsoft NOT messed up our reservation in the first place.

Of course, if we were going to Jackson, it seemed silly not to go to Grand Teton National Park, since it is right outside Jackson. When we go in May, virtually all the museums, visitor centers and lodges are closed and we really wanted to see more than we have in the past.

Then, if you travel to the north of the Tetons, you are really only a short distance from Yellowstone ... and when we travel there in May we often can't even see Yellowstone Lake, because there is still four or five feet of snow piled along the side of the road.

The last time we were in West Yellowstone quite a few years back, we only spent one night and there was so much there we didn't have time to do. Soon we were trying to see if we could find ANY affordable lodging there, as well. Thankfully, after a LOT of research, I managed to dig up a cute little motel with an owner that didn't feel justified in gouging tourists.

It turned out to be a great little place with everything we could have asked for and allowed us to cross a few more items off our bucket list. We saw "Newsies" at the Playmill Theatre while we were there, fit in the Wolf and Grizzly Discovery Center to which we'd never been and saw the Museum of the Yellowstone.

Yesterday, we drove up to Gardiner, Montana and finally made it through the Roosevelt Arch. We've been through the South Gate of Yellowstone more times than we can count and the East and West gates several times each. We made a mad dash from South Dakota through the Northeast gate one year before they closed most of the gates for the season. However, we'd never been through the North Gate, nor had we seen the Roosevelt Arch during all our visits.

Today we drove by Hebgen Lake in Montana and stopped at the Earthquake Lake Visitor Center -- another of the spots DH had wanted to see for years, but never made it.

There was a massive 7.5 earthquake in Hebgen Lake in 1959 which caused a massive landslide, killed 28 Yellowstone campers, nearly caused the Hebgen Dam to fail and created a totally new lake in the process. The visitor center is built right on top of the mile-long landslide where 18 bodies still lie buried. Seeing the site is the only way you can really grasp what a nightmare it was for the 250 survivors who fought for their lives that night.

DH still remembers the earthquake which was felt in something like seven or eight neighboring states. That earthquake left a large crack in the ceiling of his parents' home in Boise. It was so bad their parents rushed DH and his brother out of their beds and into the street, because they feared the house was about to collapsed.

So if anyone wonders where I've been the past several days, that might give you some idea. It was a whirlwind week, but definitely worth all the effort -- and exhaustion.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I am getting ready to declare bankruptcy. I believe it will be inevitable after I meet my daughter in a store called "My Baby" on Friday morning. She informed me that I will be buying a carriage for my soon-to-be-born granddaughter. I checked the store's prices online and they run from $304 for the least expensive to $2435 for the top-of-the-line. I suspect I know which one she has in mind.

She has also told me that I can buy "whatever you want" for the baby, but in her language, that translates to "whatever I tell you to buy".

There is a crib that the store calls "luxurious lace" priced at $396 which I know that my daughter will fall in love with. It is so fancy that even when Barbie was an infant she would have been embarrassed to be in it. More than that, it is tiny. I figure that by the time the baby is three months old she will have outgrown it. They have some nice (and larger) wooden cribs from $99 to $152 which I think are both more practical and easier on my Visa card.

Of course, none of this includes sheets, pillows (are pillows safe for newborns?), paper diapers, diaper carriers, car seats, strollers, high chairs, and any of the ten million products that Johnson & Johnson produce.

If I don't post here after Friday, it will because I won't be able to afford the electricity to use my computer.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
Well, I survived the baby-shopping trip with my daughter. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that her friends had given her a baby carriage, a high chair, and a playpen so my day cost me much less than I had expected: $1726. Believe it or not, we managed to fill up four shopping carts for that amount.

mrsbettygreen

Trader Group
I am getting ready to declare bankruptcy. I believe it will be inevitable after I meet my daughter in a store called "My Baby" on Friday morning. She informed me that I will be buying a carriage for my soon-to-be-born granddaughter. I checked the store's prices online and they run from $304 for the least expensive to $2435 for the top-of-the-line. I suspect I know which one she has in mind.

She has also told me that I can buy "whatever you want" for the baby, but in her language, that translates to "whatever I tell you to buy".

There is a crib that the store calls "luxurious lace" priced at $396 which I know that my daughter will fall in love with. It is so fancy that even when Barbie was an infant she would have been embarrassed to be in it. More than that, it is tiny. I figure that by the time the baby is three months old she will have outgrown it. They have some nice (and larger) wooden cribs from $99 to $152 which I think are both more practical and easier on my Visa card.

Of course, none of this includes sheets, pillows (are pillows safe for newborns?), paper diapers, diaper carriers, car seats, strollers, high chairs, and any of the ten million products that Johnson & Johnson produce.

If I don't post here after Friday, it will because I won't be able to afford the electricity to use my computer.
toooooooooooo funny :D

mtka

Trader Group
I took my senior friend out shopping for a loveseat on Thursday. What a disaster. Guess I haven't looked at furniture in a long time. We went to 8 different places, none has cash & carry pieces. All of the stores seemed to have to same color choices, or lack of color choices. Apparently nobody is allowed to have a colorful loveseat as they only come in gray, cream, or beige. I thought they were all ugly and so did my friend plus she would have had to wait until near Christmas for delivery. There is one more place that is only open on weekends, so she is going to check there. I think she could find something at Ikea, but that is a 3 hour drive, one way.

It took my 2 1/2 hours to drive home. There was some kind of revival/camp meeting that had traffic backed up for miles. It took me an hour after I got home to find out what kind of event it was as there was no traffic warnings going up. I don't think they planned for the disaster that was traffic for this at rush hour time. There were people parking miles away and carrying their camp chairs and walking on a highway, and it was about to pour. Then, after I got through that mess, I ran into county fair traffic that got me stuck again. I figured on the fair traffic as they give a warning. I stopped at McD's right before this fair, kinda knowing and I might as well eat while I'm waiting.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We're going to need a new fridge in the near future, so it was time to get an idea of what is out there. The results of my investigation were not encouraging. Apparently, corporate America is determined to force homeowners into remodeling their kitchens each time an appliance wears out.

We've got a solidly built, brick home from the 1960s, but the kitchen was remodeled in the latter part of the 1980s. That hasn't stopped them from changing the shape of refrigerators since then, however. :rolleyes:

We've got a corner cupboard which I desperately need for storage and a weight bearing partial wall to the dining room on the other side. There is a cupboard above the fridge which we had a talented friend shave off a small amount of the trim on to fit in the fridge we had to buy when we first bought the house. It fit perfectly and we got a pretty good-sized fridge in the hole -- about 21 or 22 cubic feet, as I recall -- definitely not below that. It lasted a lot of years.

When we last needed a fridge anumber of years ago, we ended up getting a smaller fridge__ definitely less than 20 cubic feet and we got stuck with quite a gap above the fridge -- which I would have preferred to have filled with refrigerator, but it was the only one we could find that fit the hole.

We haven't been happy with it. The door shelves broke almost immediately -- even though it was a major brand. We fought with the manufacturer and finally got them replaced only to have the new ones break shortly after.

I was aghast when we went to look at fridges this time. The manufacturers are so busy building $3,000 to $4,000 digital monsters that would devour our kitchen that they don't mess with what used to be "traditional" fridges.

I found a three-door LG that I LOVED that was the perfect width, but once we measured the hole I realized it was about three or four inches too high. LG doesn't make anything shorter. It seems tall and skinny is the "style" now if you don't have space for a big Internet-dependent French door "smart" refrigerator.

For us, it seems it comes down to only TWO fridges -- that may or may not be too high for the hole. The three door with the freezer on the bottom MAY be about 1/4 inch too tall. The two door with the freezer on the top is about $600 cheaper, but MAY be 3/4 of an inch too tall.

If we can't make either of those fit we will be forced to drop down to a fridge that is only about 14 or 16 cubic feet -- much too small -- and it will have a huge gap on the top below the cupboard and possibly sides where it doesn't fit the hole.

In theory, we could probably hire a carpenter to remove the cupboard and shave off a small fraction of an inch more from the bottom trim, but what a hassle! It just isn't something we want to contemplate.

We wanted to get an idea about what fridges are like these days, so went shopping yesterday. Supposedly, Lowe's had the more expensive choice in stock (for about $300 more than Home Depot), but the other option is only available through them in black (not the four other colors Home Depot carries) and wouldn't be available for delivery from Lowe's until about January. Home Depot estimated a week or two.

We entered the appliance department at Lowe's and the salesman saw us coming, acted like he didn't notice and walked away -- which is exactly what happens EVERY TIME you try to shop at Lowe's in our city. I've even seen reviews from local contractors saying the same thing. They've been forced to do business with Home Depot, simply because they can't get service at Lowe's. How can a home improvement store stay in business if it doesn't even want to deal with contractors?

Still, the store was supposed to have the one fridge we wanted in stock, so we wandered the aisles, but never did find the fridge we were looking for. There was an empty spot which looked like it could have been the correct position for the one we wanted, but it is hard to tell when the salesman has made himself invisible.

So we headed for Home Depot. The difference between the two stores was like night and day -- which is usually the case. We no sooner entered the department when the saleswoman was asking if we needed assistance. She was very helpful and tried to answer all our questions.

When she got on the computer, she confirmed that the two I'd found at home were the only two that came close to fitting our dimensions. However, just as I'd figured out at home, the store doesn't have display models of either one, so you must simply order and HOPE they fit when they arrive.

She did show us the LG I'd liked so well when I first started looking. It is still much too tall for our hole, but I fell in love with the thing even more when I saw the nice sturdy shelves. The LG shelves look like their built to last.

Last edited:

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
@Gardencook my neighbor ordered a specific height refrigerator from whirlpool when she wanted a new one during her kitchen remodel. There is a cost involved to do this but she was able to get the size she wanted.
If the cabinet is the only reason for the refrigerator you want not fitting, then maybe you can call a handyman for a small job unless you have a jigsaw!?

Also, my mom has the same issue and is stuck with the same refrigerator because even though she can afford it, she will not custom order the new one! Ugh

Last edited:

mtka

Trader Group
I feel your pain @Gardencook . We had to remove the cabinet when I got a new fridge. It's just easier to remove that cabinet than find a nice fridge that fits. But keep in mind the height measurement of most fridges include the protruding door hinges, which usually don't have to go under the cabinet. That might mean the fridge you like would fit. Also, they have a little give to level them, might make all the difference.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Thanks for the advice @jastwins and @mtka. I've been trying to think of all the angles.

One of the things I like about Home Depot's site over Lowe's is that Home Depot gives both the height before the hinge and the height after the hinge. Lowe's site only offers the measurement with hinge. The feet are usually adjustable, so you can get a little bit more there -- which is why we wanted to see a floor model. Unfortunately, it sounds like they are all too high without the hinge, so we are still looking at 1/4, 1/2 or even 3/4 of an inch too much -- no matter which fridge we consider. So close and yet so far ...

Home Depot noticed we were fridge shopping and is now sending me a daily email with more options -- none of which works, so far. I'm on their mailing list, so apparently they figured it out from my IP address. I never gave my email to them on the fridge pages. Both DH I are now getting constant refrigerator ads on web pages -- but I know DH won't bother to click on any of them.

This morning Home Depot sent me notice of a two-door LG that is tempting just based on how sturdy the plastic in the door shelves seemed to be. Unfortunately, it is still 1/2 inch higher than we'd like and it is a "special buy" so by the time we're ready to purchase it will probably be gone.

Covid hasn't helped matters, as I've seen a lot of reviews from people who waited through months of delays last winter for delivery.

As far as hiring a handyman, I wish we knew a good one. However, the cabinets are high-quality oak laminate and our friend was VERY worried about cracking it when he removed the half inch he did many years ago. We hired a handyman we didn't know for our front garage "side" door when we first bought this place and it didn't go well. That's why I'm thinking we'd have to go with a full-fledged carpenter.

We need a new roof, but when we get it done it would probably be best to do aluminum trim and that leads to the necessity to replace the poorly done door the handyman messed up years ago ... since we have both a front and back door as well as an overhead door on the garage, it doesn't make much sense not to do them all at once. Meanwhile, DH has been fussing with broken hinges on the front storm door for years and it finally bit the dust the other day. So when we replace that, they'll try to talk us into a matching door for the walk-out basement in back and the house didn't come with gutters when we bought it -- something that has worried me for years ...

The cost of doing all that at once is something I don't want to contemplate at the moment. :eek:

Meanwhile, it is kind of a moot point since this area has been "discovered" by out-of-staters trying to escape the big cities. Trying to get ANY sort of building project done right now is nearly impossible -- Covid simply intensified the nightmare with all of its building supply shortages. From what we're hearing, the wait time for any sort of major project is at least 10 months to a year, sometimes closer to two years. We've been waiting things out for a bit of a slowdown, because we know prices are astronomical right now. :oops:

And the fact that I'm trying to do all this on a computer that Microsoft shuts down for "updates" every 15 minutes to one hour isn't making my task any easier. :( I'm finding a LOT more typos in my posts, because I've got to get it done quickly, before I lose everything.

Last edited:

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, DH got the storm door hanging on its hinges again -- at least for a short while.

It took him hours and a trip to Home Depot for some different screws, but at least we don't have to pick the door up and lift it to get in and out of the house for now.

Trying to make things last so that we can get matching doors and trim all at once is certainly getting to be a challenge!

Cathy

Happy Birthday Cathy!!
We're going to need a new fridge in the near future, so it was time to get an idea of what is out there. The results of my investigation were not encouraging. Apparently, corporate America is determined to force homeowners into remodeling their kitchens each time an appliance wears out.

We've got a solidly built, brick home from the 1960s, but the kitchen was remodeled in the latter part of the 1980s. That hasn't stopped them from changing the shape of refrigerators since then, however. :rolleyes:

We've got a corner cupboard which I desperately need for storage and a weight bearing partial wall to the dining room on the other side. There is a cupboard above the fridge which we had a talented friend shave off a small amount of the trim on to fit in the fridge we had to buy when we first bought the house. It fit perfectly and we got a pretty good-sized fridge in the hole -- about 21 or 22 cubic feet, as I recall -- definitely not below that. It lasted a lot of years.

When we last needed a fridge anumber of years ago, we ended up getting a smaller fridge__ definitely less than 20 cubic feet and we got stuck with quite a gap above the fridge -- which I would have preferred to have filled with refrigerator, but it was the only one we could find that fit the hole.

We haven't been happy with it. The door shelves broke almost immediately -- even though it was a major brand. We fought with the manufacturer and finally got them replaced only to have the new ones break shortly after.

I was aghast when we went to look at fridges this time. The manufacturers are so busy building $3,000 to $4,000 digital monsters that would devour our kitchen that they don't mess with what used to be "traditional" fridges.

I found a three-door LG that I LOVED that was the perfect width, but once we measured the hole I realized it was about three or four inches too high. LG doesn't make anything shorter. It seems tall and skinny is the "style" now if you don't have space for a big Internet-dependent French door "smart" refrigerator.

For us, it seems it comes down to only TWO fridges -- that may or may not be too high for the hole. The three door with the freezer on the bottom MAY be about 1/4 inch too tall. The two door with the freezer on the top is about $600 cheaper, but MAY be 3/4 of an inch too tall.

If we can't make either of those fit we will be forced to drop down to a fridge that is only about 14 or 16 cubic feet -- much too small -- and it will have a huge gap on the top below the cupboard and possibly sides where it doesn't fit the hole.

In theory, we could probably hire a carpenter to remove the cupboard and shave off a small fraction of an inch more from the bottom trim, but what a hassle! It just isn't something we want to contemplate.

We wanted to get an idea about what fridges are like these days, so went shopping yesterday. Supposedly, Lowe's had the more expensive choice in stock (for about $300 more than Home Depot), but the other option is only available through them in black (not the four other colors Home Depot carries) and wouldn't be available for delivery from Lowe's until about January. Home Depot estimated a week or two.

We entered the appliance department at Lowe's and the salesman saw us coming, acted like he didn't notice and walked away -- which is exactly what happens EVERY TIME you try to shop at Lowe's in our city. I've even seen reviews from local contractors saying the same thing. They've been forced to do business with Home Depot, simply because they can't get service at Lowe's. How can a home improvement store stay in business if it doesn't even want to deal with contractors?

Still, the store was supposed to have the one fridge we wanted in stock, so we wandered the aisles, but never did find the fridge we were looking for. There was an empty spot which looked like it could have been the correct position for the one we wanted, but it is hard to tell when the salesman has made himself invisible.

So we headed for Home Depot. The difference between the two stores was like night and day -- which is usually the case. We no sooner entered the department when the saleswoman was asking if we needed assistance. She was very helpful and tried to answer all our questions.

When she got on the computer, she confirmed that the two I'd found at home were the only two that came close to fitting our dimensions. However, just as I'd figured out at home, the store doesn't have display models of either one, so you must simply order and HOPE they fit when they arrive.

She did show us the LG I'd liked so well when I first started looking. It is still much too tall for our hole, but I fell in love with the thing even more when I saw the nice sturdy shelves. The LG shelves look like their built to last.

Home DEpot is definitely a great store to shop at and they are very civic minded as well!

Gardencook

Trader Group
RAIN! RAIN! I NEVER thought I'd be so THRILLED to see beautiful rain, even if we did have have to live with some thunder and high winds for a half hour or so.

We have had virtually NO rain for months now and the record-breaking heat has been unbearable this summer. The last measurable rain we had before today was .05 of an inch in the end of June and 1/10 of an inch in the end of May! Today we got quite a nice downpour -- even though it only lasted a short while and some of the surrounding communities now have flood watches -- thankfully, we aren't getting the floods they've been getting in the Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Generally, around here "flooding" usually mean a few pastures/meadows will get soaked.

The rains varied from one part of town to another so we're finding it virtually impossible to get an accurate estimate -- especially when our local news is pre-empted for the Olympics and the other two networks are in a city an hour away that didn't get rain so didn't bother to report ours. From what we can tell, we think we got somewhere between a quarter and a half an inch. The other city has been having temperatures that are pretty normal, as well.

This is officially the hottest summer EVER on record here. It has been miserably hot and sticky for so long, I think I finally understand those scenes in Hollywood movies where drought-stricken pioneers haven't seen rain in so long they run outside and dance when it comes. I was seriously tempted to do the same myself.

DH went outside shortly afterward and the neighbor across the street was so excited he yelled his name across the road and pointed at the sky with a huge smile on his face.

We're actually down to 76 degrees tonight! We haven't been cooling down AT ALL at night this year which is HIGHLY unusual for our region. In a normal year, if we leave the windows open at night, we've generally got to get up and close them by morning. This year, I've generally got to get up in the night, but it is because the heat is so bad I can't sleep any longer.

If only it would last. We're supposed to get a few days with temperatures in the upper 80s and low 90s and perhaps a few light rain showers, but by the end of next week they are predicting we'll be up to 100 again. :(

Gotta enjoy the respite while we've got it.

Last edited:

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
1. Today (Sunday), I am taking Marina to the supermarket (as I do on the first and last week of every month). This time, however, it will be a bit different as on Friday I received a list of items that my daughter wants to buy for my upcoming granddaughter. On the bright side, the shop where I will be getting the baby stuff is in the same strip mall as the supermarket. On the flip side, is that the baby stuff will cost twice as much as Marina usually spends.

2. Tuesday, I will be getting my third jab of anti-corona vaccine.

3. On Thursday, I have an appointment at my local hospital to have a pint of blood drained out of me. This is a regular thing for me (every three months) because my hemoglobin count is too high. The problem this time is that I don't know if it is wise for me to lose the pint of blood so soon after getting the vaccine. I am concerned that it will reduce the amount of the vaccine in my blood before it has a chance to be fully effective. I have been trying to call the hospital to ask if I should delay removing the pint for two weeks but whenever I try calling, the line has been busy.