Whatcha Doing?

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Two days ago, I got the results of my chemical stress test and my heart scan. I managed to understand what was written in Hebrew and in English, but was completely lost by the part written in "Medicalese" and had no idea of what the various numbers mean.

I took it to my family doctor and he said that both tests show that my heart is working perfectly. He suggested, however, that I go back to the cardiologist who sent me for the tests and give him the results. The reason? My doctor said that the tests I took are 90% accurate but there is an additional test that would bring it to 100% accuracy and he wants the cardiologist to decide if I should take that test, although he guesses that the cardiologist will consider it unnecessary.

I got an appointment with the cardiologist for 2:45 on Thursday. This may prove to be a mistake. Generally, I take Marina to the supermarket on Sundays, as the stock market is closed which gives me much less to do on the internet. The supermarket we go to is in a strip mall close to her house and we went last Sunday. Polina and Olga came with us and, as always, managed to rip me off big time. We will be going back to the supermarket on Sunday, but the cardiologist is across the street from a major indoor mall which, until now, has been on corona lockdown. This mall is the city's most expensive one and just happens to be Polina's favorite. Marina has already told me she will meet me at the cardiologist's office and I would give strong odds that Polina (and possibly Olga) will be with her.

Four things are completely unquestionable:

1. Polina will beg to go to that mall.
2. I will find it impossible to say "no" to her.
3. Marina (and possibly Olga) will go with us and also find things that they really like. (Polina will say she "must have" the clothing she spots. Marina will simply say that various items "look very nice". Olga will just grab my hand, say "Dov", and lead me to the toy store.)
4. Marina and Polina are well aware that whatever they buy will be on my credit card. Olga appears to believe that toy stores simply give me the things that she likes and no payment needs to be made.

At the end of the day, when I total up how much the three of them have charged there, I probably will have to get into an ambulance after having a heart attack, no matter what the cardiologist tells me before the visit to the mall.

All of this, however, is very good practice for me. My daughter is scheduled to give me my first grandchild in late August, and no matter how much I spend on Marina/Polina/Olga it will look like peanuts compared to how badly I will spoil that baby!

mtka

Trader Group
We are suffering another major storm here. This time it's torrential rain. The sound outside from the creek is deafening. I know the driveway is under water and the bridge on our road is under. The town to the west has flooded the downtown. Our lower field is under. So much flooding. Still have hours of rain to go.

mtka

Trader Group
The creek is back in it's bank leaving behind loads of debris that will have to be cleaned up. We were fortunate with little damage while many areas were not. The IGA in the next town over had to dump everything. These once in a 100 year floods seem to be happening every decade now. We will have to fix the driveway, still usable for the SUV, but no car could make it up. I have a walking path that is 1/3 mile long that encompasses our lower field. A good chunk is either covered in sludge, sand, or debris. We did lose quite a bit of land to the creek and it gave a creek rock pile where it used to be flat. It's supposed to be dry and sunny all week, but the rivers haven't crested yet. Some areas of our state just got back power from the ice storm, now they are dealing with new outages and the roads are gone so the process to fix will be long again. I think Kentucky has had enough for this year already. On the plus side, I should find lots of new fossils and the dogs have found plenty of things to roll in.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
I have to preface this by saying that for years I have asking Marina to have an illicit affair with me. Of course, she knows I am joking as my propositions always include some impossibility (such as our leaving the girls alone in the shopping mall, driving to the airport in Tel Aviv, and getting on a plane to spend a week in Venice).

Marina, in turn, always turns me down -- generally by pointing out her wedding ring.

About two weeks ago, I turned things around by telling her that she is madly in love with me, while I, on the other hand, consider her just "Okay".

She asked why I thought she was madly in love with me, and I told her that it is in her eyes -- she looks at me with passionate hunger. She, of course, denied it. I told her that she might not realize it on a conscious level, but her subconscious knows the truth and is using her eyes to tell me.

We were in my car alone at the time, on the way from where she works to her house, to pick up the girls. From there we went to a shopping center to get Polina some clothes (I have no idea what she does with so many shirts and designer sweatshirts). While we were in the store, I noticed a black leather combination purse/backpack, which I thought Marina would really like. Her face lit up at the idea of having it, so I bought it for her.

A few days later, after seeing my cardiologist who told me that the results of the tests show that I am perfectly healthy, I picked up Marina and the girls to go to lunch. On the way there, Marina somehow -- I can't figure out how -- managed to get her wedding ring caught in one of the hooks of the new backpack. She could neither get the ring out of the hook or off of her finger, so she was now stuck with the backpack attached to her finger. She went into a small panic until I suggested that we get some butter at the restaurant to grease her finger. She realized that she has some hand cream in the backpack, used her other hand to get it out, put it on her finger, and was able to get the ring off (although it remained stuck in the hook).

"Do you remember what I told you about the subconscious giving you a message?" I asked.

She said she did.

"Think about this," I told her. "Not only did your subconscious put you in a position where you have to remove your wedding ring, but at the same time, it got the wedding ring stuck to a backpack which I gave you just a few days ago. What do you think it is telling you?"

What I didn't tell her was that her subconscious was being particularly smart. It arranged this to happen during the pandemic, when there are no passenger flights in or out of Israel, so we could not leave the girls and fly off to Venice. :D

Gardencook

Trader Group
Did something tonight that we haven't done in a long, long time. A high school a half hour away has gotten back to performances in the big auditorium the city built for it several years ago. They were performing The Music Man and we couldn't resist -- even though we thought we'd be required to wear our mask all night long.

We haven't had any indoor performances here in at least a year now and didn't realize how much they've eased restrictions in that town -- maybe they never put them into effect in the first place? It was kind of odd to walk in tonight. At first, most of the theater-goers buying tickets were wearing masks, but we were surprised that those selling tickets weren't. As the night went on, many of those who arrived late for the show didn't wear masks either, however.

I don't think we were really at a big risk, since attendance was WAY down. I don't think people really expect live performances any longer, so perhaps not too many people knew about it. We've been to packed-house performances in that auditorium in the past.

We generally sit toward the back, and that meant there was only one couple at least five or six rows behind us, one lady five or six rows in front of us and a person or two about 15 or 20 feet to our left. We were on the left side of the auditorium and there was NOT a single person to our right for at least 30 to 50 feet. We went ahead and took our masks off, since no one was getting anywhere close to within six feet of us.

They definitely weren't social distancing in the audience at the front of the auditorium, where virtually everyone else sat. That section was at least 70 percent full and the players stood in the foyer to speak with the audience afterward in close quarters as if nothing had changed. We thanked the two or three we made eye-contact with on our way out (wearing our masks unlike those speaking to cast members) and headed for the car. We definitely didn't stop or shake hands as we normally would have in the past.

It was a high school performance, but the kids definitely put their heart in it. The gal who played Marian the Librarian had a BEAUTIFUL voice that pretty much carried the show, but it was a bit difficult to wrap our minds around a high-school aged boy playing the part of Winthrop, Marian's "little brother."

Ron Howard was apparently 10 when he played the part, but he looked closer to six or seven. Meanwhile, the high school boy who played Winthrop tonight was probably about 15 or 16, but was supposed to be 12. Guess they hoped the two would meet in the middle, but he was the same height as his "sister" Marian who was a tiny little thing about a foot and a half shorter than Professor Hill. :oops:

They were able to make good use of the high school marching band in their school uniforms for the end scene of the play, however, even then we were social distanced, because the band marched down the far left and far right aisles, as well as the center front aisle which was at least 20 or 30 feet in front of us. No one was using the aisle next to the row we used to get to our seats.

Fillies Fan

Trader Group
At 12:30 this afternoon, I decided to take a nap and set my alarm for two hours later. At 1, I was woken by my telephone ringing. I picked it up and was told by a woman, "This is the Prime Minister's Office. Please hold for a moment for him to get on the phone".

Indeed, after a few seconds, I heard his very recognizable voice urging me to vote for him in next week's election and to bring three friends with me who also support him.

As it was a robot call, I felt no shame in hanging up on the Prime Minister of Israel in the middle of his talk.

mtka

Trader Group
Yesterday I rewired the fluorescent tube kitchen light into a led tube kitchen light. I am pretty proud of myself. The light is now brighter and whiter. The fluorescent tubes were starting to flicker and it was bugging us. We had heard about how to do this awhile ago, but just got it done. I also attempted to fix a farm gate. The cut-off telephone pole that it is attached to is rotting out and when I made a new hole, it was pretty bad. The gate is up, but don't think it will last long.

My mom enjoys looking up in the clear blue sky and guessing where the airplanes are going. I downloaded FlightRadar24 on my spare phone and we sat on the porch and ran the app. It seems we get many UPS and Amazon Air planes overhead. We only get a few planes at any one time and there are spans with no visable aircraft so it makes it much easier. A couple of them seemed to way off track on the way to Louisville, since we are more than an hour southeast of them.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
As you can tell from the above pic, D2 (in the pink) and D1 (in the blue), loved having their picture taken and were not afraid of characters. D3 was not amused and probably had a meltdown after this photo was taken...she still does not like any characters and Disney world must have been torture for her. She also could not stand the Chuckie cheese mouse . LOL I miss them being this little (twins were 3 and my baby was 2) My girls are now 22, 22 and 20 1/2.