Whatcha Doing?

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
We feed the birds too... but we no longer buy the mixed bird seed bags.
We feed black oil sunflower & safflower.
There is much less waste & we don’t get the
undesirable birds.
The in-laws feed mixed seed & ‘chicken scratch’ and constantly
complain about the grackles & starlings eating everything in sight & chasing the song birds away.....o_O.

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
I spent the morning making some things for tomorrow's basketball feast. Then Hubby and I met up with my DIL and the two granddaughters at the local cinema. JDRF was doing a kick-off event for this year's walk, and they always hold it at cinemas. When they're done with their presentation, we all watch a movie. And it's totally free (except for the outrageous prices they charge for snacks!). This year's movie was "Wonder Park." It was great!!

XUfan

Trader Group
Busy in the kitchen this morning. I have cookies to bake! I'm also making two taco fillings (beef and chicken), refried beans, roasted fajita veggies, and Mexican rice. We are having my son and his family over today for the NCAA March Madness party that we have every year. Normally, we invite my husbands' family members too, but they're spending most of their time at hospice with his younger brother. I will reach out to them, and see if anyone wants to stop by and get something to eat, since there will be so much food!

Jorainna

Finder of Lost "Blinkies"
Staff member
Trader Group
Good Morning Everyone!
It was 28 degrees and sunny, when I went out to feed the birds this morning. I have been getting the 20 lb. bag of Kay-tee mixed seeds for $5.99 from Ollie's - same thing that Meijer sells for around $18. I only feed early and late so that the grackles are left with less during the day. I cut my suet cakes in half, too. I think I have around 18-20 different kinds of birds that come to feed. I log my bird counts into ebird.org

I had ten daffodils in bloom over the weekend. So cheerful to see them as they sent me off to work on this cold morning ... yes there was a thin skim of ice on my windshield. The kind that is hard to scrape off ... :( ... come on Spring!!

So now I am at work and it FEELS like a Monday ... sigh ...

When I take my lunch hour today, I need to run to the local landscaping company and pick out about 10 lbs. of nice flat, smooth, oval shaped rocks to teach the monthly rock painting class tomorrow night.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Today is Purim -- which can best be described as a Jewish version of Halloween but without "trick or treat".

I celebrated it by taking two 11-year-old girls from poor families (accompanied by one of their mothers) to McDonald's for lunch in a regional shopping mall. While they were eating, I went to a supermarket in the mall and bought gift cards which can be used in roughly 30 chain stores -- five of which were in that mall. I surprised the girls with them and came close to putting them into a state of shock by letting them know that each of their cards was worth 500 shekels (about $140).

I told them they could buy whatever they want or they could save all/part of the money to use some other day. They headed together to clothing stores.

Unfortunately, there was no shoe store in the mall which accepted those gift cards and I knew that one of the two badly needed (and very much wanted) new summer shoes. I took the other girl aside and asked her if she would be upset if I bought the shoes for her friend but not for her. She assured me that she wouldn't mind at all and we all walked to the shoe store where this girl's eyes lit up.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
I have blue eyes and when I was in my late 30s an ophthalmologist told me that the lack of pigmentation means that I am at far more danger from the UV rays of the sun than someone with dark eyes of that age (or older) would be. This is especially true in a hot country like Israel. I have been wearing sunglasses for most of the year ever since.

A woman I know, a 30-something mother of three, has very pale blue eyes -- putting her at more danger than I would be. She also has bad eyes (her glasses have to be multi-focal) and she also has astigmatism. I warned her last week that she should be wearing prescription sunglasses when she is outside and, knowing that she cannot afford them, offered to take her to an optometrist and pay for them myself.

She told me she was "not comfortable" with me paying for them but agreed that being uncomfortable for an hour or so is much less serious than losing all of her vision in a few years. We agreed to go this Thursday and as I was near the optometrist today I stopped in to ask how much multi-focal sunglasses would cost. He told me 3000 shekels (about $830). This is far more than I had thought it would be but not an impossible cost.

I then asked if he has clip-on sunglasses that she can put over her regular ones. He did and I bought a set for 100 shekels ($28). I gave the set to her this evening and told her to try them out. If she needs a different size or prefers a different color, we can exchange them. If they do not work for her, I will be going with her to get the 3000 shekel sunglasses.

Cathy

Happy Birthday Cathy!!
I'm off to visit Miracle Ear. I've put it off for awhile but I can really feel the change in my hearing recently. They have a 2 for $895 offer. I know that normally hearing aids are much more so I hope these will still help. Anyone here ever had hearing aids?

XUfan

Trader Group
I want to thank everyone here for their prayers, positive thoughts, and good wishes. My husband's brother passed away peacefully this past Thursday evening. He had been in the hospital since early January, battling cancer. The past few days have been busy, spending lots of time with my husband and lots of family members, so I didn't have time to let anyone know until today.

We're hoping things settle down soon with some of the other issues we've been dealing with. I'm hoping to plan a weekend getaway for the two of us...soon!

Thanks again!

XUfan

Trader Group
Jasmine and Sherri...thank you.

Hopefully, things will start settling down again, and I can spend more time posting. Just getting back to shopping with coupons will be a plus! You can't believe how many I've (sadly) thrown out in the past 2 months!

XUfan

Trader Group
Gardencook, I'm so sorry for your loss. To you and NoHio, thank you for your kind words.

Yesterday, I tried to get back in the swing of my "normal" routine. I did some laundry, and made a big list of household chores. I got the laundry done, and some of the chores. Then I got on the phone with my daughter, and chatted for over an hour. I ran a few small errands, and was pleasantly surprised to find the lady up the road with a hundred kids (sarcasm) was having an impromptu garage sale. She sells stuff so cheap! I got 5 books, 1 pair of pants, 5 pairs of shorts, a dress, and 2 jackets (all for my youngest granddaughter) for $4.25!! Everything was a quarter, except for 1 of the jackets.

Today, I'm getting together with my DIL for a "catch-up" chat. We try to do this every week or so, to keep each other up to date on what's going on. I also have to give her my order for my grandson's senior pictures. After she leaves, I'll probably go to Kroger and pick up a few things we need, plus a few sale items. We really don't need much this week. Later this afternoon, my grandson has a baseball game, which I plan to attend...if the weather holds out.

A few days ago, my husband found a flash drive in a desk drawer at our house. One of the files had pictures from my son's wedding, 5 years ago. I had totally forgotten how cute my hair was then! I'm going to print a couple of the pics to show my stylist, and see if we can recreate that look. Now, if she could lop off the 25 pounds I've gained since then, I'd be really happy!! ;)

mtka

Trader Group
Since it's a new month, I have spend an hour searching for new beer rebates. Only found one NBPR that is good in my state. I did the entire 800's and the start of the 900's. If anyone else wants to search, be my guest.

Gardencook

Trader Group
I've spent an "exciting" afternoon browsing videos on our free Roku channels to see what "new" movies might be available this month. It is a bit of a challenge, since we haven't had time to watch many movies with Mom's death, so I've actually got a few months worth of new additions to wade through.

Amazing how many thousands of movies are out there that we have ABSOLUTELY NO interest in watching! :p