Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

So, we're hoping the wind storm has passed. It is a cold, sunny day with little wind right now, but a wind advisory stays in effect.

There is extreme damage all over the Pacific Northwest -- trees down, roofs lost, wildfires out of control ... 80 percent of the homes in Malden, Washington are destroyed. :(

The Pacific Coast is near zero visibility as smoke from the east pushes west. Residents are encouraged to stay in their homes with an air quality advisory.

Salt Lake City had winds up to 112 mph and many historic cherry trees around the Capitol building went down. :eek:

They are still without power 20 to 25 miles from us.

While we didn't get snow, it is all around us -- Montana, Wyoming, mountainous regions of Idaho and even two hours away in Utah so there is a good chance we'll get it tonight.

We set a record high of 102 degrees on Saturday and now we're slated for a killing frost tonight. Farmers are bracing for major losses.

Isn't 2020 over YET? :confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. Gardencook

One of my friends from high school is right by the Oregon wildfires and it is a nightmare! She is one mile from the nearest Level One evacuation and the fire is only 13 miles from her home.

She just headed to the grocery store for supplies and mentioned several friends by name offering to pick up things for her friends. It is pretty terrifying to read their responses. One just got the order to evacuate and is in the process of packing. Another is getting photos of every room of her house. Someone else mentioned she did that last night.

DH has a high school friend who lives there and is in the midst of equal drama. The high school that was being used as an evacuation center is now in danger, so everyone there must move to the high school of a nearby city.

Saw a local news story interviewing a couple whose home was destroyed along with the home of their parents. They just bought a new motor home Friday and now have seven adults living in a 33-foot motor home with a cat and several dogs.

Numerous small towns are completely destroyed and they know there will be numerous lives lost.

Meanwhile, up in Washington someone is claiming the fires may move toward Moses Lake. Terrified area wildlife are fleeing to the cities and they are asking residents to put out buckets of water and bring in pets. :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  3. Gardencook

Recuperating from a couple weeks away from home today. We had a nice, rather relaxing time. Due to all the COVID restrictions, things move at a slower pace these days and are a real disincentive to eat in restaurants very often.

We got a great rate at a very special condo in Park City, Utah. I'm afraid we'll be spoiled if we ever go back and can't get into that place again!

The condo is the personal retreat of the owner who is a gourmet cook and buys nothing but top quality appliances and everything else. He's got it set up for him when he comes to enjoy the snow and guests get to enjoy the perks when he's not there. The biggest problem was how "dumb" a condo full of "smart" appliances can make you feel. :p

It took us a couple days to figure out how to run the ASKO stainless steel dishwasher with hidden controls. The first night the Internet went down, so we couldn't look online to find a manual and the dishwasher manual wasn't among those the owner keeps stored above the refrigerator.

We found what we thought was the model number, but were apparently mistaken, because it didn't match any numbers on the manufacturer web site and we couldn't find a model with similar controls.

I finally hunted until I found a picture of a similar model -- which wasn't the one we had, but it was close enough to figure out that after you set the controls you must close the door to the dishwasher within four seconds or it turns itself off. :eek:

We had similar problems with the fan on the microwave the night we accidentally set off the smoke detector. At least we had a sliding glass deck door and a couple crank windows in the living room to open before the sprinkler system was activated.

The five-burner, double oven gas range with convection oven was also a similar learning experience to someone who has a "dumb" electric range with knobs and no digitals back home. ;)

The fridge was a triple door with a two drawer bottom freezer. The first night we were waiting on calls from the owner about the Internet which went down right as we arrived. We thought DH's phone had suddenly started making a new noise we'd never heard before. It turned out to be a chime whenever we left the fridge door open too long while trying to unload our cooler/grocery shopping.

We arrived a couple days early to try and get our lives in order before our mornings were consumed with work. One of the items on my "bucket list" has always been to take a historic Heber Valley Railroad tour. Since it left in the mornings, we took the three-hour round-trip ride on one of those days. It was really relaxing and worthwhile. If anything, COVID made the trip nicer, because social distancing meant we had no one in the seats across the aisle, nor in front or behind us. It certainly made for great views through the large picture windows.

We took a sack lunch to eat in the park on the stopover, before the train headed back again.

Learned a bit of trivia on the trip, as well. I had never realized those train whistles we hear are actually messages to those on the ground. Trains sound a Morse code letter "Q" at railroad crossings -- two long, one short, one long -- to let people know the "Queen" is coming through. Since trains first became readily used in the reign of Queen Victoria, I guess that actually makes sense. I'll have to listen more carefully to trains when I hear them here late at night.

Cathy, jcdamomma, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  4. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Mid-October can only mean 1 thing here, black walnut picking time. It's an off year, so only have a 1/2 pickup load this year. Hopefully it pays for the gas to get to the hulling station. We are trying today, and after we get home, it will be an hour of washing the walnut stain and maggots out of the truck. What fun!! Hope you all enjoy your holiday baking this year.

Jorainna, jcdamomma, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  5. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

We got $30 for our walnuts, better than we expected. Had to go to the amish store though. We went to the closest hulling station about 8 miles away, he is on vacay and won't be back for a few days. We went ahead and drove another 10ish miles to the amish store, they are always dependable and nice. Picked up a bag of oats at their store and took the scenic way home. Didn't really mean to, but somehow I always get lost going the back way, even with google maps this time. Got to see some new sights though and we weren't in a hurry. The truck bed is all rinsed and will put the tonneau back on this week before the rains come.

Jorainna, Cathy, jcdamomma and 3 others like this.
  6. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Polina's school is still on lockdown and she has been doing her lessons on a cellphone, which makes it difficult because of its size, so today I surprised her with a considerably larger Samsung tablet. She was thrilled but even more so when I picked up a skateboard for her. To tell the truth, I was a bit afraid as I consider them dangerous but Marina agreed on condition that Polina will only use it with a bicycle helmet and knee pads.

On Saturday my "other daughter" (the one I fathered and raised) is coming with her husband for a visit. My kibbutz has a great winery and I ordered a case (12 bottles) of their favorite wine.

Next week will be a busy one. On Sunday, Marina will have a day off and we will spend the morning together. On Wednesday, I have an appointment with a urological surgeon (one of the top ones in Israel) for his advice about having a kidney stone removed. After the operations that I had last summer, and being in the hospital for a month, I am very hesitant about this -- the stone is a large one but I can't feel it at all.

On Friday, I have to have an ultra-sound of my left leg to see if there is any change in the blood flow. Both of these trips are about a 90 minute drive from my house (each way) and that is further than I have driven since the pandemic started here in March.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020 at 4:59 PM
  7. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

good luck Fillies Fan!

Fillies Fan likes this.