Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Ugh ... but am glad you have your power back. Make sure to stay hydrated with the heat. We just got into the low 90's today, and I am not a fan of the heat at all.

Gardencook and flowerkitty like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

It has been hot here as well. On the day of the storm, 8/4, we lost power for 3 hours. There are still people on Long Island without power. My siblings in Ct and NJ lost power for a couple of days. My brother posted that his favorite pic was the one he took of the electric company work truck pulling into his development.
    This storm knocked down so many trees and the electric co. cannot keep up with the work they have to do restoring power.

Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I went to bed very late last night -- about 2 a.m. I then started reading a book and I didn't pay attention as to what time it was when I finally put it down and went to sleep.

At 6 o'clock I woke up feeling very hungry. I considered driving into a nearby city for a waffles breakfast and then realized why I was so hungry -- I misread the clock and it was not 6 a.m. but 6 p.m. I had slept through breakfast and lunch and it was time for dinner!

Cathy, mtka, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  4. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

We have been having a frustrating time at the farm the last few months. Everything seems to be breaking, needing maintenance, intermittently working, and so on. Just about every part I need now is somewhere on the slow boat from China, stuck at the ports waiting to unload or doubled in price in the last few months (or both!). Decided to take a break and go shopping at the closest Rural King (a farm store) an hour away up the interstate. I knew leaving here that the southbound lanes were closed at our exit because of a fatal accident and traffic was being rerouted down the little hwy that parallels it. We were going the opposite way so we still went. Coming home I checked after I left the last store to make sure the road was open (12 hours after the accident) or I would go the 2nd back way alternative which is really bad. As soon as we got back on the interstate, the traffic was stopped and there was nothing we could do but sit there. There was another bad accident. We had an hour delay but finally made it to our exit. We stopped for Little Caesar's at the exit and noticed there was still a long line of people that were diverted off the interstate earlier. They had still not made it back to the interstate from the road being closed. They would have been better off stopping at the exit closest to the fatal accident and waiting a few hours until the interstate reopened. At least we made it up and back safely.

Cathy, Jorainna, Fillies Fan and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I'm going to date myself with this one, but one of my high school classmates just commented on Facebook asking if we exited our graduation to "Gonna Fly Now" -- the theme from "Rocky."

Another chimed in saying it was the Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle." She claimed we all voted on it and agreed it was what we wanted played to which the first classmate said that she remembered now and that was correct.

Our school mascot was an eagle, so all of that would make sense, however ...

I have NO memory of that song playing at our graduation and IF "we" voted on it, I'm certain I wasn't given a ballot! :confused:

I've actually got pretty vivid memories of most of our graduation -- including the fact that NONE of us were aware we had a school alma mater song until they sprung it on us by placing the words on an overhead projector at practice and telling us to memorize it -- on the spot! :eek:

We actually had a "school spirit" song that was the ONLY song they ever had us sing at pep rallies until that time. I still know all the words to that one.

My surname began with "A" so I was in the front row and we had so many students in our graduating class that even though we were entering four across (one down each side and two up the center) Pomp and Circumstance played over and over again. I didn't think it was EVER going to end!

Once had an interesting discussion with a friend who grew up in a small farm town near here and he said they had so few students at his graduation that they entered single file and then made several laps around the room just to kill time until Pomp and Circumstance ended for the first time. :p

I seem to remember the rest of the music from that ceremony, how could I forget the Steve Miller band?

Perhaps I'm getting old and just forgot, but the student on my left was drunk at graduation and the one on the right was stoned. I had to keep telling them "Stand up" and then "Sit down" at the proper times throughout the affair, because they didn't have a clue what was going on. Maybe I was just too busy babysitting to remember the exit music. :oops:

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  6. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Ok, so on Thursday we make the trip to the big city to do some shopping. As a treat, we picked up 2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts (B1G1 free). We also picked up a bottle of Hershey syrup because my mom was bored and was reading magazines and found a cake recipe she wanted to try. On Friday, we each had two donuts for breakfast. Later in the day, she decides to make this cake, even though neither of us like chocolate cake to begin with and she rarely bakes or cooks anything. She preheats the oven and then slowly makes the cake recipe. Any guess as to where we store the big boxes of donuts to keep them away from the dogs, cats, and gnats? Yep, in the oven. To make matters worse, the plastic bag was holding the donuts. It didn't end so well, and the cake was terrible. :rolleyes:

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  7. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@mtka oh no! That is too bad about the donuts.
    D1 loves to look up recipes that look pretty and do not taste good. Once I spent $24 to get ingredients For a chicken dish. After I made it, she was like “Yeah well I do not like it. “. My cousin tried the same recipe and her husband loves it. Go figure

Jorainna, Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.
  8. Gardencook

Forecasters lied to us again this week. They predicted 90s and we got about 100 or 101 yesterday, 102 today. Still not as bad as some of the nation, but ... :(

Jorainna, jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  9. Fillies Fan

Back in high school I was always pleasantly surprised when I got at least a 65 on any of my tests.

10. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

For the last two days the weather has been great with wonderful temperatures. Right now it is 70 degrees with low humidity. Granted it is 2:30 in the morning ... LOL.

Since I have lost my job to covid, I have become a night owl. I have found the nights to be really peaceful. Both my one son that lives at home and my hubby have always been night owls, so I have joined them in staying up.

I just added more coupons to my Blinkies, Peelies & More forum under Coupons by Source. I have now reported and posted over 140 different current Non SS coupons! I don't feel like the coupons have slowed down any ... it's just that we can't get out and readily obtain them due to the dern covid. :mad:

My older son turns 27 today on the 21st. "Time waits for no man." Birthdays are different this year. Normally we would go out as a family to eat ... now we have not done so, even though most restaurants are open here with limited seating. Just don't feel comfortable doing it.

Friday ... really just another day since I am not working ... will see how the day unfolds ... :)

jastwins, Fillies Fan and Gardencook like this.
  11. Fillies Fan

On Wednesday, I took Marina, Polina (age 12) and Olga (age 4) to lunch in a strip mall.

Almost as soon as Olga finished eating, she walked around the table, pulled on my arm, and said, "Mickey Mouse".

Apparently, she was upset that a week ago I had bought Polina pjs with Mickey on them and wanted the same ones. We walked to a store where I had bought Polina's pjs and absolutely nothing in the store, with or without Mickey, was acceptable to Olga unless it was identical to what Polina had. Fortunately, they had one set left in Olga's size.

While we were still in the restaurant, Polina, who knows me all too well, asked, "Where are we going after lunch?" Translation: "What stores are you going to take me to?"

I asked her where she wanted to go and she named two clothing shops. I agreed and after Olga had her pjs, we headed to them. Polina bought a few, inexpensive, things. We then headed to a shop where I wanted to buy something for myself. On the way there, she saw an additional clothing store and immediately went in with Marina and Olga. I waited outside, sitting on a bench, until Marina came out to get me.

Polina was waiting in the check out line, with a shopping bag full of clothing.

"Did I say that you can go shopping here?" I asked her.

"No," she admitted.

"Did you ask me if I would buy you anything here?" I asked.

Again, she admitted she had not.

"Then what am I doing in the store?" I asked her. She was stumped for a moment and then got a big smile on her face when she figured out that it was never too late and asked me if she could buy some things there on my credit card.

I gave in, as she knew I would, handed the card to Marina and went back outside to wait. When they finished, Marina came out and handed me the credit card along with the receipt -- 549 shekels (roughly $161).

Marina and her husband, both of whom have minimum-wage jobs, get paid on the 9th of each month. For that reason, I take Marina to a supermarket twice each month -- in the last week of the old month and the first week of the new one, to fill up her shopping cart. Sunday will be the start of the last week of August and I told her that we can't bring the girls with us as "I can't afford them".

Of course, Marina knows I am bluffing -- as I have too much fun with the girls to go without them.

12. Gardencook

Anyone who has ever traveled to Salt Lake City and its suburbs can find directions to just about anything overwhelming at first glance. Honestly, when have you ever met someone with an address similar to 3340 E 12250 S? :confused:

As a quick tutorial for those who have never been there, the Salt Lake region is built on a grid system emanating from Temple Square in downtown.

Basically you can have four intersections with EXACTLY the same numbers at four different points in the city -- 300/300 can mean the corner of N 300 and 300 E OR 300 W OR it can be the corner of S 300 and 300 E or W. You have to pay close attention to EVERY detail in an address or you'll end up in the opposite end of the city from where you are going.

Then to make things more confusing, they put names to many of these numbered streets and often use the names interchangeably with the numbers.

Temple square is large and takes up more than one block. North 200 and South 200 are both called Temple -- each with a respective direction accompanying it. West Temple is 100 W, of course, that means that 100 E is called ... you guessed it, "State Street," apparently because it leads to the State Capitol which is located between 300 N and 500 N. :D

Broadway is 300 S and University Blvd. is 400 S. It leads to the university which is directly east of downtown. Basically unless you know names AND numbers for streets, you'll get lost if you only have numbers or names with which to navigate -- because some street signs show names, others show numbers.

The system can be easy to navigate in some areas -- once you get the hang of it -- but when roads start to dead end or curve, it can be a REAL headache, because the street number will keep changing with each curve in the road. When you stay away for a while like we have, it is easy to forget a lot and then you are back to square one, trying to remember numbers, names and which thoroughfares are through streets once again.

That is where we found ourselves last week when we tried to find a discount store we'd never visited before -- which is buried in a warehouse district full of curving dead end streets. :confused:

So for your entertainment, I thought I'd share the instructions Google gave us for finding the place -- just in case you ever decide to venture to Salt Lake and do a little shopping. These are actually very simple directions for the Salt Lake area. :p

Head Southwest on I-15 S.
    Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 305A-305B-305C for UT-201 W toward 1300 S/2100 S/W Valley.
    Keep left to continue on Exits 305A-305B, follow signs for 2100 S.
    Turn right onto UT-201 W/2100 S.
    Turn left onto S 900 W.
    Turn right onto W 2610 S.
    W 2610 S turns left and becomes S 1030 W ...

Thankfully the store was only a few blocks off the freeway and bumped up against West Valley City where we've spent quite a bit of time. We took a couple wrong turns and ended up in the industrial park where we stayed in a brand new hotel several years ago.

However, it was a NEW industrial park with a lot of empty land at that time. Even though we were on the same road, the industrial park is now full and we never saw that hotel this time around. It was still standing a year or two ago when we got lost in the same area and stumbled upon the hotel -- which is actually what helped us find our way out that time we got lost. :oops:

The store was actually a worthwhile stop and we'll definitely stop again in the future -- IF we can find it. We actually did stop on the way back home, however, had it not been right at the intersection of the two freeways we needed ...

We're definitely out of practice driving in Salt Lake! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  13. Fillies Fan

Tomorrow is Polina's first day back at school. She will be home by 12 and I promised to take Marina and both girls to a shopping mall in Rosh Pina, which both girls love because it has a trampoline center. Today I had to disappoint them because while it will be 104 F in the city where they live, and Rosh Pina is only a 30 minute drive, it is at a much lower elevation and is expected to hit 110 F. There is no way that either Marina or I would allow the girls to be jumping on a trampoline in that kind of heat.

I was also supposed to take them to the supermarket near where they live but it has been closed down because one of the employees has COVID-19 and all the others are in mandatory isolation until they can be tested.

Revised plan: First I will take the girls to an indoor mall which is air conditioned and let them do some shopping. Then we will head to a restaurant at a higher elevation. There are three other supermarkets in their city and, hopefully, at least one of them will be open so Marina can fill up her cart.

Jorainna, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  14. Fillies Fan

I have a collection of Zippo lighters. I generally use one each week and then move on to the next one. In most (but not all) cases they are souvenirs of countries I have visited. In some cases, they remind me of friends and/or experiences I have had.

Last December, at my suggestion, Marina gave me a Zippo with the insignia of the former Soviet Union on it.

Today, while Polina was busy trying to bankrupt me at a clothing shop, I told Marina that I had a girlfriend who was not particularly attractive, rather stupid, and had a miserable personality. Her saving grace, I said, was that she was madly in love with me.

This girlfriend, I said, had given me a birthday present -- and I showed her the Soviet Zippo. She could not stop laughing!

Jorainna, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  15. Fillies Fan

The day before yesterday, I was having some bad stomach problems. Given my paranoia about coronavirus, when I have any symptoms at all, I immediately check my temperature and it was 97.7 (for me, that is normal -- I rarely reach 98.6). Still, as I was going to be with Marina and her two girls, before leaving my house the next morning I checked it again and it was still 97.7.

It was a broiling hot day (109) so I drove with the AC on high, picked them up, and went to a restaurant. Afterward, we drove about 5 minutes to a shopping center and the first store we went into had an automatic thermometer where you hold up your hand and it tells you your temperature. It showed that mine was 100.5. This got me a bit nervous as 100.4 is the limit before you are supposed to phone for advice about what to do vis-a-vis corona.

Marina and the girls were all showing 98.6 and, knowing that the thermometer was working, I tried again. Again, it showed 100.5. Finally, I put the back of my hand (as opposed to the palm) towards the thermometer and it showed 97.7.

This left me a bit confused until I realized that the car had been sitting in the hot sun while we ate and while the AC cooled off the air in it, it did not help with the black steering wheel. That is what made the palms of my hands so hot!

16. Fillies Fan

I was busy driving Marina crazy (again) today.

I can't explain why, but Israeli schools require each student to pay 2000 shekels ($594) per year for lunch. This may be paid in advance or in 4 installments (with post-dated checks) but is mandatory, which I can't understand as it is legally required for every child age 3 and above to attend school. For low-income families, especially those with several children, it is a very heavy burden.

I had told Marina about a week ago that I would pay for part of it, but did not say how much. Today, I was in her city and told her to meet with me at 2 pm, when she got out of work, at a restaurant across the street from her store.

I got there a bit early, sat at an outside table, and ordered a Coke Zero. When she arrived, I said to her that if someone saw a man my age drinking alone and then an attractive young woman going to his table, talking for a few minutes, him paying her, and then the two of them getting into his car and driving away, they would think that she is a prostitute.

"I don't mind them thinking you are a prostitute," I said, "but I don't want to be considered the kind of man who would fool around with a cheap prostitute."

I then counted out the 2000 shekels (to pay for one of the children) and handed it to her.

"Now they will think you are a high-priced call girl," I said. "After all, I have to protect my reputation".

I then had a more serious conversation with her. I said that with the exception of my taking her to the supermarket, almost all the money I spend on her and the girls are for luxuries (like the latest fashion in clothing or toys). The 4-year-old, of course, doesn't realize this but the 12-year-old probably does. Luxuries don't matter but it is very important for a child to know that she can rely on her parents for necessities. It gives her a sense of security.

I made her promise not to let the children know that I paid for half of their school lunch fees. It is far better for them psychologically to think that their parents paid it all.

She agreed, I bought her a Coke, and then drove her home.

17. Gardencook

18. Gardencook

Well, a bit of excitement that we could have done without. We've got a massive windstorm blowing through that forecasters claim happens only once or twice in a century. Just wish they could have been a little more accurate on their timing. :(

The last we heard the storm was supposed to hit the Oregon/Washington Coast about 5 p.m. and kind of mellow out a little after it crossed the Cascade Mountains. However, we're quite a ways east of the Cascades and by 5 p.m. the wind was getting frightening here.

Now we're getting clobbered with Canadian winds, so ... :confused:

We lost power for more than 5 hours around 5:30 p.m. Just got it back a short while ago. Idaho Power lost count of how many thousands of customers were without power in our region, but Bonneville Power an hour up the road was reporting about 49,000 without power.

We haven't had a lengthy power outage like this in many years.

The Eastern Idaho State Fair halfway between the two cities started this weekend and lost the roof of the beef barn about the same time we lost power.

Had I been more of a weather expert, I'm sure I could have identified at least five different types of thunder in the storm. We've still got plenty of weird noises going on outside.

We hit a record high of 102 degrees on Saturday (first time ever above 100 in September) and it is currently 43 degrees with the cold wind making it feel like 35! We are hours from our morning low and parts of Wyoming and Montana got the first snow of the season right before the storm hit. :eek:

There will be a massive clean up underway once it blows over -- which is supposed to be tomorrow. There are trees and power lines down all over apparently.

It seems we're getting the storm that was supposed to hit Portland.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  19. Fillies Fan

It was probably afraid of being set on fire by the rioters in that city.

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  20. Gardencook

Actually, I've seen more recent reports and it looks like Portland is getting clobbered, as well.

I sure hope the rioters aren't throwing Molotov cocktails in this wind -- but I wouldn't put it past them.

It was bad enough when they just about burned two of their own alive with the things a couple nights ago. The rioters seemed clueless about what to do, and then you saw a couple police officers -- the ones they are determined to defund -- step into the fray and save their lives. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.