Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

EXACTLY! :p

jastwins, Jorainna and Sherri1480 like this.
  2. Gardencook

Bedroom community next to us brought back its mid-week farmers market. We had one years ago, but have really missed it for many years now.

Went today, but I'm afraid they've still got some bugs to work out. We weren't the only ones thrilled they were there and the place was nearly wiped out even though we got there a few minutes early.

Note for next week -- they have a "soft opening" so we need to show up a half hour early next week, not right on time like the old market rules.

I sure hope they bring more next week, but it is early in the season and with only two "farmers" what they had went fast. Hopefully, they will grow in the next few weeks. The old market used to have a LOT more booths.

A woman saw me headed for the beets, jumped in front of me and then began to chat blocking the way of anyone else -- AFTER she had taken all but one average beet and two small ones. I picked up a couple of the remains, but one was too small to mess with and I heard someone after us asking for them, as well.

The farmers were wearing masks and you were required to use hand sanitizer before touching the produce (and yes, I followed the rules even though I don't like sticky hand sanitizer and prefer wet wipes), however, none of the customers except us seemed to be wearing masks and social distancing -- forget about it! :(

Did get the two last bell peppers, a couple cucumbers, some snow peas, a couple onions and some baby carrots.

We'll try next week, but may have to opt to driving to another city for fresh produce.

jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I need your help in determining what it will cost me to take Marina and her daughters to eat apple pie with ice cream this evening.

If I remember correctly, the Cost of a Pie is determined by measuring its Radius (half of its diameter) and squaring that number. In fact, there was even a formula used C (cost) = Pie's Radius Squared. Am I right or am I forgetting something?

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  4. Gardencook

We've in the midst of a REAL gully-washer right now -- thunder and lightning included. I think DH waited to long to run his errands. He may need a row boat by the time this lets up!

jastwins likes this.
  5. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

If you bought those items in my IGA, the store with no sales, a pie could set you back 5.99 or$7.99. Ice cream by the half gallon or close to it, will cost you $6.59 or higher.
    I like your calculation better, @Fillies Fan

Enjoy!

Gardencook likes this.
  6. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

It's a very sad day here, just buried our 17 y.o. brother cats. It's was a long few hours at the vet. We lost a dog less than 2 weeks ago and now the cats. Not a good July. We did get a good 15 minute soaking rain, it's been too long since we had any. Now we are paying for it with stiffling afternoon and a swarm of those flying ant thingies that come out after the rain.

7. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

I am so sorry. Losing pets is like losing a member of the family.

mtka likes this.
  8. jastwins

@mtka I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your cats and dogs. They are like family and give us unconditional love.

mtka likes this.
  9. Gardencook

So sorry about your pets @mtka! They are so hard to lose.

mtka likes this.
  10. Gardencook

My sister started a Facebook feud with DH earlier this week -- which I knew was brewing for weeks before that. We try to keep peace in the family, but my older sisters have never come to grips with the fact I became an adult decades ago and can think for myself. :rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't think like them is WRONG -- including my husband. They apparently feel if he were out of the way, they could swing me around to their way of thinking -- not that it worked in the years prior to our marriage. :D

It started in early childhood, when my interests tended toward non-fiction and they preferred fiction. The sister who started this feud once made me put back the science books and biographies I chose for myself in the children's library, so she could choose books she considered more "appropriate" -- fantasies and mysteries. o_O

Unfortunately, decades later they STILL feel the need to "set me straight." They aren't coping well with the fact that I don't believe Mom's death well over a year ago made them my "guardians.":(

I moved 700 miles away from home in my 20s -- I think I'm beginning to understand why. My husband and I have been making our own decisions for decades -- much to my sisters' chagrin -- and frankly I would have given up on a relationship years ago had it not been for Mom.

Our mother spent her life trying to keep the family unified despite the fact my sisters think alike and can't come to grips with the fact their younger sister's brain is wired differently. Of course, nothing weighs on your conscience more than the guilt a mother lays on you -- which most likely set the scene for today's rocky start.

After not having an insecurity dream/nightmare in ages, I woke up in a panic this morning. It is amazing how ridiculous those dreams seem when analyzed in the light of day -- and dreams like that are so vivid you usually remember every detail. :p

I guess "normal" people might dream about forgetting how to read, being a poor speller or forgetting to put clothing on before going to a test -- the infamous "underwear dream." I've had some of those in my lifetime, however, generally my subconscious seems to travel along different lines.

Anyone want to take a guess what got me panicking this morning?

I was supposed to be taking a "very simple" test, involving the calculations in creating an aluminum salt using sodium and my mind went blank. I COULD NOT remember the electrical charge of aluminum!

Of course, upon awakening in a sweat, my first thought was "WHY were you working with elemental sodium in the first place?" It is HIGHLY unstable and not something college students generally mess with in a school lab. It didn't even cross my mind that I haven't needed to know the charge of ANY element for decades! :oops:

I tried to get back to sleep, but was so flustered that the first thing I did upon arising was check online.

In case anyone is interested, the atomic number of Aluminum is 13. Its charge is +3. :confused:

Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  11. Gardencook

My one remaining package was supposed to arrive by today and didn't, so I figured I'd better check the tracking to make sure it was still on the way. A couple weeks ago neighbors were reporting some suspicious activity in our neighborhood -- both in the middle of the night and broad daylight that could have been thieves prowling ...

So the tracking info gave me a zip code without a city which meant absolutely nothing to me. Fed the code into Google which claimed my cardigan (which is supposedly made in the USA) had arrived in ... Lithuania? :confused:

The way things ship from all over the world these days, I wouldn't be surprised, but the tracking info claimed the zip code was for a U.S. Post Office. How many of those does the U.S. have in Lithuania? o_O

So upon looking at the "further details" section it seems my package shipped from California -- which made Lithuania even less likely -- and it turns out the zip code is actually one for Salt Lake City. I have NO idea how Google got the idea that was a city in Lithuania, but Utah makes a WHOLE lot more sense en route from California.

Seems like these online maps are falling apart like everything else. People don't know how to read paper maps any longer and if the online maps don't have a clue about geography, where does that leave us?

I've long seen National Park Service warnings NOT to use GPS directions to locate them, and I can't remember which National Park it was I checked on recently which Bing Maps claimed didn't exist! :mad:

Today, I saw an article and it seems Google is sending tourists who want to visit Yellowstone National Park to Driggs, Idaho this summer. Apparently, the local residents have a full-time job giving directions on how to get to West Yellowstone, Montana from there.

Just in case anyone happens to venture this way this summer, while Idaho can claim a tiny corner of Yellowstone within our state boundaries, the ONLY entrances to the park are in Montana and Wyoming. :oops:

Can computers get ANYTHING right these days?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  12. Gardencook

Heat is a killer here today. Last we checked it was 103 degrees F. and the airport got to 104 degrees although they were only predicting 99 or 100. Apparently, Las Vegas is supposed to hit 113 degrees F. so I'm certainly glad we aren't there!

We went shopping late this morning and arrived home to find my cardigan from "Lithuania" i.e. Salt Lake City waiting for us. The mail came early today since I was getting a package. Normally the mail carrier doesn't show up until 4 or 4:30 p.m.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    jastwins likes this.
  13. Gardencook

Cooling trend today after yesterday's record 104 degree temperature. We only went one degree above the predicted 100 degree temperature to get up to 101 degrees.

Salt Lake City hit an all-time record of 105 today.

jastwins likes this.
  14. Gardencook

Our "cooling trend" continues. After tying an all time record high of 104 we dropped to 101 and today we didn't quite make it to 100. However, after a couple days' reprieve temps are supposed to be headed toward triple digits again by the end of the week.

jastwins likes this.
  15. jastwins

Ummm...waiting for a tropical storm with an unpronounceable name to arrive.
    Today is d3’s Birthday. D3 will go with my MIL & a family friend up Island for haircuts at Ulta. I am leaving work at one and will join them. Let’s hope the weather is not as bad as they say. If it is, my hair will frizz!

Jorainna, Gardencook and flowerkitty like this.
  16. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Ha!
    I would really like to take a small branch into a place requiring masks while wearing my sunglasses & while raising the branch in the air....say, “this is a stick up”!:p
    However I do not think others would find it humorous.

17. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Yikes! How is your humidity?
    Many times we have decent temps but it is the humidity that is so uncomfortable.
    Hope you get cooler weather soon.
    We have a reprieve this week...highs in the 80s -low tonight...maybe upper 50s.

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  18. Gardencook

One of the mixed blessings of living here is low humidity. We're high desert. I guess that makes it more "livable."

However, I breathe MUCH better in high humidity and low altitude. (I grew up in Southwest Washington State.) I spend my life "half-breathing" around here and then suddenly realize how energizing it is to have clear breathing passages when I go "home." It only takes a day or two for me to start waking up with a clear head.

I grew up very near sea level and now live at nearly 4,500 feet -- which definitely isn't as bad as Jackson Hole, Wyoming (6,200 feet) or Yellowstone (8,000 feet). They are only a few hours away from us.

Meanwhile, the past several years I've entered a stage of life where I'm HOT and sweaty all the time -- usually even in winter. That means I'm creating enough humidity for myself in this weather to wilt -- and still I'm constantly dehydrated! :rolleyes:

Can't go anywhere right now without a beverage (or two) within reach -- and they don't stay cold in the car when we leave it. :(

The store gave us a free can of cold AHA (Coke's new flavored sparkling water) a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference. I've never gone in for the "electrolyte enhanced drink" craze, because I'm not fond of all the sugar in most of them, however, AHA doesn't have any sort of sweetener or sodium -- which means I don't even have to worry about aspartame headaches.

The first AHA I tried was Lemon-Lime/Green Tea and I noticed "electrolytes" on the can and thought all the flavors had them. AHA also has a grapefruit one which -- like Bai -- is slightly reminiscent of "Squirt" soda -- without all the sugar. They've had some good "introductory sales" so I've been buying that for our trips out.

Just realized that only the Lemon-Lime and Black Cherry Coffee AHA have electrolytes and a little caffeine -- so I guess I've been buying mostly the wrong flavor. :oops: I'm NOT a coffee drinker and can't stand overly sweet drinks so won't be trying the black cherry one, but the lemon-lime had a light 7-Up flavor which was pleasant enough.

May have to do a little experimenting with the "electrolyte enhanced" plain waters that they charge so much for. Didn't really think it was worth the cost in the past, but wearing a mask in stores is leaving me shaky on occasion by the time I get back to the car. Worried at first it was blood sugar, but water seems to do the trick and the lemon-lime AHA seemed to work a little better than plain water.

I sure hope the benches and chairs come back to stores once COVID-19 is behind us. They are sorely missed and the stores that sell furniture won't let you sit any longer. :confused:

19. Gardencook

We had a bit of pleasant relief yesterday when temperatures only got to the lower 90s and a breeze rolled into town. It made it so much more pleasant! The 100+ degree temperature days were completely still -- not a single breeze.

Today we're back up to 100 degrees again, however. They only predicted mid-90s -- and we're supposed to get hotter by the weekend. :(

20. annie41

annie41 Active Member Trader Group

Finally got power back after the storm just in time for the heatwave this coming week. Unfortunately I don't have AC but do have fans.

jastwins, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.