Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

@mtka - congrats on cutting the cord on satellite!
    We did it approximately 8 years ago ( when DD got married & moved out) ...we had all those channels, yet nothing worth watching. Plus the price kept going up all the time. We figured we could save the money for our vacation fund. We put up an antenna for local channels.
    My mother would have problems getting rid of her satellite. That is her main form of entertainment....game shows,cooking shows, home make overs, etc.
    I don’t miss it.

2. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Today I bought some hot dogs, a cake, and some ice cream for tomorrow -- as I will be celebrating July 4 by myself.

My daughter planned a big party for the holiday but her SO's daughter had come into contact with one boy from her school who has the coronavirus (which he caught from a teacher). The daughter was tested and it came back negative but on Wednesday her SO started showing symptoms. These are actually the symptoms of any bad cold or virus, but he is not taking any chances. He went to be tested yesterday and he hasn't got the results yet.

As he may not get them until Sunday, and my daughter realized that she cannot cancel the party at the last moment, she re-scheduled it for the following week (July 11). This, of course, is subject to him testing negative. If he is positive, he will be in isolation for two weeks and my daughter will be tested also. As she was with me twice in the past week, I too will get tested.

That's when the fun will really begin! She came with me to the hospital yesterday while I had a stent in my intestines removed (it was supposed to be removed a year ago when I had two operations but the surgeons forgot to do it).

If she tests positive, everybody who was in that hospital between 8 am and 11 am will be notified and told to be tested for the virus. Hopefully, the test that her SO's daughter took was not a false negative and none of the rest of us got infected.

3. Fillies Fan

Good news! The SO's corona test shows that he does not have it. Combined with his daughter's negative result and the complete lack of symptoms in my daughter and myself, we can consider ourselves to be corona-free.

4. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Fillies Fan, that is great news. So glad to hear your surgery went well and that no one you know has the corona virus. Still, it is a reminder that we have to be vigilant and be cautious. Wear your masks and wash your hands.

5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

@jastwins, hope Tropical Storm Fay isn't beating you up too badly. Been thinking about you all day!

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Fillies Fan like this.
  6. jastwins

I had to work our late day at the bank today today. My last customer was at 6:05 pm and we close at 6 pm. It rained hard this afternoon, but when I left work it had stopped raining for a bit. The central part of Long Island will get hit worse than the East End of Long Island. The weather is still so warm and humid. UGH!!! It is windy and raining now but not too bad at all. Quite frankly, I did not even pay attention to the storm until yesterday when a weather warning popped up on my phone. Only then did I watch the news and pay attention to the weather report regarding Tropical storm Fay. All I know is it is going to be another hot week.

7. grandma608

grandma608 Active Member Trader Group

glad your not getting it too bad. we were worried about you

Sherri1480, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  8. jastwins

@Gardencook & @grandma608 thank you for being so concerned about me and the storm. It caused more issues for upstate New York and the city. It was a cloudy hot day today. No break from the heat and humidity and I was glad to spend the day in my air conditioned car. I took D 2 for an appt and we went shopping. We picked up lunch from 5 guys burgers and it was awesome.

9. Fillies Fan

Wow! That means you each picked up 2 1/2 guys. The family that plays together, stays together.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  10. jastwins

@Fillies Fan, you crack me up.

Five guys is a burger chain that my girls had visited but I never did. We placed an online order and next time will get regular fries as the Cajun fries were too spicy.

11. Fillies Fan

@jastwins, believe it or not, I have eaten in several Five Guys locations. Did yours have a large, open, sack of peanuts near the entrance?

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  12. Gardencook

I've never eaten at a Five Guys @Fillies Fan, but self-serve ANYTHING is a big no-no virtually everywhere right now due to COVID-19. No salad bars, no free samples at Costco, no hotel breakfasts ...

Things might be slight different on the East Coast, but if anything they are more cautious so I'm guessing free self-serve peanuts at any restaurant -- including roadhouses -- are an era "Gone with the Wind" -- just like the movie. :(

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  13. jastwins

Yes this is the chain with the peanuts. My daughter went in but not me. One year the boys basketball team stopped there (first time) and the coach had to stop one boy with a severe peanut allergy from going anywhere near the place.

14. Gardencook

Gotta love an honest merchant!

Placed an order with Walmart yesterday for some items we needed which weren't in store. Got an e-mail this afternoon claiming my "refund" was being processed. I cringed to contemplate what was out of stock, then opened it to find this message: "We have processed a refund of $0.01 for your recent order."

Not sure exactly what they overcharged me on, but I'm guessing it was sales tax. Guess that is better than the thrift store here that used to always charge us six cents when you only spent one dollar when our sales tax was 5 percent. Tried to argue it out with a clerk once, but she was adamant that five percent tax on $1 was six cents -- because that is what the cash register said. o_O

Of course, there was that specialty pillow case I needed on the Walmart site yesterday ...

The site claimed the item was not available for pick-up, but warned me to order quickly because there were only seven in stock. Then when I signed into my account, the site told me the pillow cases were an "in-store only" purchase -- which usually means our store doesn't have them.

I guess when they found out who wanted the pillow cases, they didn't want me to have them. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my latest Walmart experience was definitely better than the problem I've had trying to find a jacket, short-sleeved blazer or lace topper to go with the lovely sleeveless dresses I bought online a few weeks ago.

I love a sleeveless dress when the heat gets unbearable here. It is much more comfortable than slacks or jeans and I didn't wear shorts when I was slim, so definitely won't now.

However, the dresses are nice enough to wear for other occasions than errands and I'd like a little more arm covered if I do that. Since our department stores deserted us long before COVID, online is about my only option.

Could drive 60 miles (120 round trip) to another city with a multitude of department stores, but chances are slim they'd have what I wanted and when you are no longer allowed to try on clothes, another 120 miles to return anything that doesn't fit isn't exactly practical.

I checked Walmart and Amazon first then moved onto several other merchants I've dealt with in the past or at least heard of -- including the department stores an hour away which deserted us. However, didn't really find what I was looking for.

Since I was searching, Internet ads for similar items kept popping up until I clicked on one sold by a company called "Collections Etc."

At first glance both its selection and prices seemed attractive, but since I'd never heard of them before I did a little Internet research. I found a LOT of poor reviews, but the BBB gives the company an A+ rating. Talk about confusing!

I wasn't thrilled about the charges entailed in returning items and there were many complaints about the fact the company gave free shipping, but still charged a handling and processing fee.

I was desperate so after confirming this was an American merchant even though it had VERY SLOW delivery times, I finally decided to give them a chance, hoping that perhaps I'd have a better experience than some people.

The site promised me a 10 percent discount and free shipping if I'd enter my e-mail address -- which I did. My promo code came, but after I'd set up an account and filled my cart the site claimed I wasn't eligible for the code! I tried calling their 24/7 number and was informed they only answer 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

The complaints I'd seen online began to sound like very real warnings. People claimed the introductory codes didn't work for them. Others claimed no one ever answered the phone when they had complaints.

Still others said their orders took forever to arrive and they received no updates and couldn't get answers when they made inquiries. Someone said her credit card got charged twice and she had to repeatedly nag to get the charge removed and those who did return things said it took forever for the refund to appear on credit card statements. Several claimed that they repeatedly heard COVID used as an excuse when orders/refunds took many WEEKS longer than other companies.

By morning I'd decided it was good the company hadn't gotten more than my name, address and phone number. When things started to look like bait-and-switch I stopped the order process without handing over a credit card number.

But that still leaves me without topper I need and they also had a set of belts I wanted which no one else seems to sell ...

STILL Corporate America tries to convince me that EVERYONE prefers shopping online to brick-and-mortar stores. :mad:

15. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

@Gardencook I have ordered from them years ago. They are essentially a catalog company, don't expect amazon turn around times, but eventually I got everything I ordered and it was fine. Have you tried Catalog Favorites? They have 15% off clothing right now and are a similar company.

16. Gardencook

I checked Catalog Favorites after you mentioned it, but the jackets they had were heavier/hotter than what I was hoping for. Thanks for the suggestion. It was one I hadn't tried before. Basically I seem to be too late in the season and most places are sold out. :oops:

Last night, I ended up settling for a couple blue tank top/lace jacket sets that may or may not match my new blue dress. It is always hard to tell from the Internet -- especially when it comes to matching the color blue which clashes so easily -- but I figured at least with a tank top to match, I could still wear the set with slacks/skirts if it didn't work with my one dress.

I picked up a two-piece white eyelet set, as well, even though I'm really not a fan of white. If all else fails, it should work with all of the dresses.

What I really wanted was black and navy -- neither of which I could find in my size. :(

Then I ordered a couple short sleeved asymmetric "cardigans" although they are polyester/Spandex rather than knit. They were available in black and navy from Amazon.

They are a little more Boho than I care for. My sister can get by with that sort of draped clothing, but they generally make me look like a fat cow.

We'll see how they go, but at least they had free returns if they absolutely don't work and if they are too casual for the dresses, I might be able to make them work with slacks.

Today I got an offer from the place where I got the dresses and I can get a short-sleeved tailored jacket in both black and navy. I do very well in tailored jackets -- IF I can try them on first. Still trying to decide if I want to take a risk they won't fit.

The jacket is a new arrival, so there aren't yet any reviews about whether they run true to size and they weren't available when I ordered the dresses.

And now since I was looking at dresses/tops with lace jackets I'm getting Internet ads for absolutely GORGEOUS couture lace ball gowns. They range anywhere from $500 clear up to some beautiful $3,000 gowns -- some are probably higher! Not that I'd have anywhere to wear them, but THEY are styles that would fit my figure quite nicely. :p

I just keep trying to figure out what sort of woman buys a $3,000 dress online without being able to try it on first? Obviously someone who has a WHOLE lot more money than I'll ever have.

17. jastwins

@Gardencook, I feel your pain. This is why I do not throw out or give away some "classics" that even if I do not wear them often, when you need it, you have it. I have been shopping too much in TJ Maxx but the Levi stretch jeans I bought last week fit perfectly and were worth every penny of the $10 I paid for them .
    Once I needed a dress for my nephew's wedding. Can you believe I bought it on Ebay? After seeing a style I liked online, I knew the brand was sold in Macy's. I went to the mfr website to check the size fit and knew the size I should purchase. This ebay store sells lots of brands and I zeroed in on 2 sizes, one regular and one women's. Good thing I checked both since I lost the first bid and swooped in and picked up the second dress for $38 and free shipping!!!! I bought a long purple gown and wore it to a few occasions.
    If you are happy with a certain brand, try ebay or thred up to see if they have new with tags items available for sale. My lastest disappointment is with KOHLS and the fact that they discontinued the Dana Buchmann line. I love, love love this clothing and it is gone!!! The last 2 times I shopped at Kohls, I picked up 2 pairs of DB pants on clearance, but no DB shirts in my size. Kohls is going in the wrong direction with their EVRI brand and the amount of it left on the racks is an indication of how badly it is going.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  18. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

You know it!! I hate the EVRI line and the models look like they are stuffed in 2 sizes too small. Kohl's was my go to store. Now for the past two years, I only spend what they give me for my anniversary gift. Last year I bought a couple things at JCP, and I would have again if not for the HIGH shipping rates since the stores were closed. Now that they are reopened, they are out of most summer stuff. I have been looking for a simple tank swimsuit all summer long. I was going to splurge at the beginning of the swim season for a Land's End one, but can't justify that price. It's for a backyard pool, I want it easy on and easy off and no hardware, rouching, flowers, or ties, oh, and under $25. I used to buy them at Kmart on sale or clearance, but all of ours closed last year and the ones I bought there at the end are a horrible fit unlike years past.

19. Gardencook

New experience today -- ever try to figure out what sunglasses will look like on your face when half your face is covered with a mask?

When we entered the grocery store today, they had a rack of sunglasses on sale for $7.99 and I checked them out. I purchased some Foster Grants at the end of summer last year that I really like. Finally found a pair similar to what I bought yesterday, but it was certainly a hoot to try and figure out if they were the same ones when I couldn't see my face.

With all the chaos that has been going on recently in stores over masks, I didn't think I'd better risk taking it off for a couple minutes -- even though the store isn't officially requiring masks until two or three days from now.

The sunglasses were the same basic shape I usually buy and the same very light lens color I purchased last year, so I bought them. Some of the lenses out there these days are SOOO dark, that I have the hard time seeing the dashboard with them on when I drive. These have worked out very well.

20. annie41

annie41 Active Member Trader Group

I feel like a bandit when I put on sunglasses with my mask.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.