Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I know how that goes when you can't understand the words involved in opera/operetta. It is very frustrating.

I've surprised myself the past couple weeks getting hooked on some of the full-blown operas they've been streaming. Guess I've always been drawn to the music, but it doesn't mean much when they're singing in Italian and you don't have a clue what they're saying.

However, the operas they've been streaming have English subtitles and I've actually enjoyed them when I know what they're singing about. ;)

Unfortunately, I keep forgetting where everything is at. The Met streamed Pavarotti in La Boheme on Friday and I missed it. :( I would have liked to see at least part of it for the experience. They're up for such a short time I often don't have time to see the whole preformance.

That's why I created the list of free opportunities in the Entertainment thread. I couldn't figure out how to organize things so I'd know what was going on. Need to go over and add The Met to the list so I don't continue to miss things!

We finally found the time to watch "By Jeeves" last night and I had to head to the Internet to see if the play was doing what we were pretty convinced it was. Turned out we were right.

I know the Jeeves and Wooster stories are quite popular in Britain. I think BBC even had a series based on them. However, I'd never read them so didn't know much about them.

Right off the bat I noticed how similar the story was to a Gilbert & Sullivan farce. It didn't take long to note the similarities in music. It was obvious the play's songs took inspiration from Gilbert & Sullivan in many places.

It turned out P.G. Woodhouse (the Jeeves and Wooster author) was a young contemporary of Gilbert & Sullivan. He was actually somewhat acquainted with them and was a big fan. They were reaching their peak in popularity in Britain when he was quite young.

So apparently, he chose to write similar crazy plots which were similar to the messes Gilbert & Sullivan operetta characters often found themselves involved in.

When they decided to make a musical from the stories, it was therefore logical to use the inspiration of Gilbert & Sullivan in the music. That's why it seemed so much like a knock-off to us. It was supposed to be, which I suppose was part of the joke.

"The Code" they kept referencing seemed to be all-too-similar to a thread in the Gilbert & Sullivan Operetta "The Pirates of Penzance" which was subtitled "The Slave of Duty." A song that Jeeves sang shortly after that was all too similar to "Modern Major General" from Pirates, as well.

Now that I realize what was going on, I'm glad I saw the play -- even though I didn't know what I was stumbling into. However, I'd still prefer a good Gilbert & Sullivan Operetta any day. :p

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Thrift store opened yesterday!!! I dropped off a donation bag and went in to look around for a bit. Made me feel like life is kind of back to normal! The store was really neat and clean too.... The workers all looked like they were glad to be back as well.

Today I went to Safeway for a few small items. Had sandwiches for lunch and went for a long walk afterward...

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  3. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Hope everyone had a nice mother's day whether you are a mom, or have a mom!

[​IMG]

Sherri1480, Cathy, KmmCo and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Watched the Royal Opera production of La Traviata this afternoon. It was one of the "watch it or lose it" special programs they are currently offering to keep people entertained.

I never dreamed a few years ago I'd enjoy opera so much, but with subtitles it actually makes sense. :p

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  5. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Cleaned out the small freezer today, did dishes, laundry, and cooking, took trash and recycle out.... Not the most exciting stuff but at least I was productive! I have a project list started for tomorrow too.

Jorainna and Sherri1480 like this.
  6. Gardencook

Well, never a dull moment -- no matter how hard you try.

Friday night/Saturday morning about 3:30 a.m. we heard what sounded like an explosion outside. Scared us to death! It was really loud and obviously very close, but we didn't hear any real activity outside afterward so concluded it must not have been a gun. It isn't exactly the time of morning you care to go outside and investigate in this day and age.

It did seem awfully loud for a transformer blowing, and it is far from the first time it has happened in recent months -- always deep in the middle of the night.

There is an online neighborhood group and yesterday quite a lengthy chat started about the problem. Apparently, it happened again Sunday night although we didn't hear the boom that time.

Group members IMMEDIATELY started pinning down house numbers on our street and the two addresses that came up were the two houses just to the south of us. Someone claimed to have seen a mortar rocket -- illegal fireworks -- going off in the next door neighbor's yard Sunday and several neighbors reported hearing/seeing them in the past.

One neighbor posted today that a neighbor across the street confronted the culprits about it Sunday night after asking them to be more considerate. They got "drunken and belligerent," the police ended up being called and citations were issued. It did identify the occupants as renters, which puts it down to our next door neighbors. The people on the other side of them own their home.

How we managed to sleep through all that going on next door on Sunday is beyond me, but we must have been exhausted from the rude awakening we got from Friday/Saturday's blast. Perhaps that one was shot our direction and the Sunday night one was shot over the yard of the house on the other side -- with an address named in the post? I don't have a clue.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise us. Our neighbors used to be the elderly couple who built the house, but they died and the house has passed hands three times since then.

The most recent owner did a complete remodel while all the neighborhood clique insisted that he was planning to move into the house himself when it was finished. We didn't buy that story and weren't at all surprised when we got less-than-sterling looking renters as neighbors -- before the remodel was even finished.

We've tried to remain friendly rather than have enemies next door, but haven't wanted to get too close. They are the neighbors who have had frequent out-of-state visitors (from several states) who weren't supposed to be here during the stay-at-home order. Loud drunken conversations on the front and back decks usually ensued and were more common than we cared for when there were no visitors, as well.

Then DH frequently caught some whiffs "funny smells" coming from the house when he was outside working ... that stuff isn't legal here like it is in neighboring states.

Apparently the neighborhood clique did contact the owner and are making it pretty clear that the renters either straighten up or be evicted. However, I don't know if they realize that evicting someone in the middle of Covid-19 may not be the easiest thing to do ...

7. Gardencook

We still had some of our last loaf of barley bread so waited until later in the day to start today's batch. We didn't have enough left to get us through tomorrow.

Today's bread is Norwegian Oatmeal Molasses Bread -- a new recipe I haven't tried before. Of course, technically I still haven't "tried" it, because I NEVER follow a recipe and end up making a lot of changes. However, even with the changes, it looks like this recipe might be a keeper to use as an outline.

We'll have two loaves coming out of the oven before bed tonight.

8. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I connected the pool pump yesterday and got it running. We have been unusually cold here and yesterday was a nice day finally. Went to backwash it and the hose exploded, sounded like a gunshot. Also had the basket break. I am going to town today, don't know if the pool place is essential or not. Non-essential retail can open up here in a few days, but I kinda need that hose today. Will probably brave the Walmart or Lowe's. Also going to Kroger for the mega sale. I want to stock up on some things in case we have another shut down come fall.

9. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I am alive!

At least, I think I am. I will not be certain until I see that this post actually appears on the site.

My IP, along with all others from outside the US, was blocked by HCW a month ago because of problems the site was having with Spam. I am not certain exactly what the problems were. Could they not find Spam in local supermarkets because of a coronavirus-caused shortage? Or was the problem that Spam is not offering any BOGO coupons?

Either way, Laura and Dave made repeated attempts to get my IP unblocked, but with no success. Finally, I downloaded a VPN program which shows that I am posting from New York City. This will not help me get Spam as it is not kosher and therefore unavailable in most Israeli supermarkets. It does, however, mean I have returned to the living on HCW.

My apologies to all of you who were enjoying a Fillies Fan-free browsing experience.

Jorainna, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gardencook

So good to see you back @Fillies Fan.

I've been worrying that your health had taken a turn for the worse. It isn't good that you got blocked for so long, but I'm glad it wasn't something more serious!

11. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Nice to see you back FF!
    At first I worried...but then I just figured you were confused about how to practice social distancing. ;)

Good to see you back!

Jorainna, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 3 others like this.
  12. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Fillies Fan, so glad you are alive and well during this pandemic. Looking forward to more funny stories from you.
    These technical difficulties are bothersome for sure. I just had to upload a document for D2 and as I was just about to give up, I click a box and land where I am supposed to be. Just lucky, I guess. What was not lucky was taking a walk yesterday with D3. As we were walking, I turned my ankle on the uneven pavement and went down. Eventually, I limped back home and will be uncomfortable for a few days, but I am glad it was not worse.

13. Gardencook

OUCH! @jastwins. That turned ankle sounds exactly like what I've frequently done all my life. NOT fun!

Hope it gets to feeling better soon!

14. mtka

I yelled at some frogs yesterday warning them not lay eggs in the pool or hot tub. I let them have a 100 gallon water trough for their tadpoles. They did not listen and laid a bizillion eggs in the hot tub. It was nearly empty, just had some water from the rain until I clean it up and refill. It took 2 hours to scoop up everything in the hot sun. Most of the eggs made it into the hatchery trough. And I got bit by a deer fly in the process and my hand is swollen up. I put some stuff on it but it isn't doing a thing, maybe too old. The things I do for nature.

15. mtka

This morning was oh so fun. It was deworming/vaccination time for the goat herd. We did the horses earlier this month, but it takes planning for the goats. I only got stuck by a needle once, so that was a good day, I guess. We got all but one, then had to chase her around for a long time before we caught her. They are done for another year!

16. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

I add my name to those of you who are glad to see that Fillies Fan is among our group again :)

As to what I am doing: today I finally got a haircut...it was getting way too shaggy for my liking. And, another good thing: my library is now letting us pick up books curbside. I was down to re-reading books I read several years ago and getting edgy about it :(

17. Gardencook

Did get two loaves of oatmeal bread made today.

On the computer front, today was another disastrous "Download Tuesday," turning my computer into a worthless piece of junk and the downloads STILL haven't stopped!!!!

I've been keeping a diary and each time my computer shuts down without warning Microsoft HAS done another update. I've gotten on average about SIX downloads per DAY for the past two weeks.

When my computer isn't shutting down, it is completely unresponsive because it has started to install another download.

Last week's "Download Tuesday" was supposed to FIX at least 111 problems Microsoft has caused with its updates over the past several months! Yet the nightmare downloads continue. Ever since that disastrous February Cumulative Update that "broke" my new computer I'm right back to where I was with the old computer Microsoft broke. :mad:

18. mtka

@Gardencook What did you do to Microsoft that they hate you so badly? I can't believe you are having the same problems with the new computers. I would be looking at chromebooks or apples by now.

Jorainna, jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  19. Gardencook

I keep wondering the same thing! It is like Microsoft has got me targeted. Some days -- like yesterday -- my computer is ENTIRELY useless. The rest of the week my computer is "just" so frustrating I want to scream.

One of the problems caused by the February Cumulative Update was the Black Screen of Death with a message claiming the computer "overheated." That's exactly when this started with mine.

Seems like once Microsoft downloads one of these defective updates onto a susceptible computer -- tough luck!

I was rolling along just fine until the Fall 2018 (2017?) update on the old computer. That one ruined DH's computer as well, because we had identical computers. :mad:

This time around mine got ruined in February, but overall DH's didn't. However, the Cumulative update last autumn did knock out his sound for a couple weeks -- and it happened again around February! Thankfully, they seemed to come up with a patch for that -- although the sound on his conference calls is still driving some people crazy.

Mine, however, is still shutting down six to 10 times a day! It is worse than ever right now, because last Tuesday was the BIG Cumulative update they do once every quarter.

The patches for the updates that came after February wouldn't install and that's why we had to pay a technician clean up the mess. He said these updates get installed all over your hard drive and if Microsoft installs one tiny bit in the wrong folder, it is all downhill after that.

Instead of the long line of "installation failed" notices my computer was getting before the technician, my update folder now records a minimum of four updates a day that shut down my computer -- all "successfully installed" -- while shutting down my computer without notice. However, Microsoft claims I'm getting notices before those shutdowns -- I'm just too blind to see them while the computer is sitting on my lap right in front of my eyes.

Lately, I've been getting six or seven updates a day -- all "successfully installed," but not before shutting down my computer repeatedly.

From what I've read on the Internet, the updates they've been releasing the past few months have been such a disaster for so many users that they have to keep releasing patches to clean up the mess they created. Apparently, that's the loop I'm stuck in.

Since I've been keeping a diary, I've now confirmed that at least 80 percent of the time when my computer shuts down, I log back in to find that Microsoft has downloaded another update or done another scan to see if I need another update. If it hasn't, then I can expect my computer to shut down at least once or twice more until that update is installed. Then once it installs that, it immediately starts downloading another.

Supposedly, Microsoft installs its updates on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I've got these shutdowns SEVEN days a week and it doesn't matter what times I list as my "Active Hours," Microsoft downloads and installs 24 hours a day.

Microsoft blames our Internet provider and that could be part of it, but why doesn't DH's computer do the same thing if it is our Internet speed?

Basically, if they ruin your computer with their updates Microsoft has NO accountability. We've been loyal to Microsoft since our first home computer which had Windows 95 and there is NO way I can recommend Windows any longer.

One article I read said Windows 10 has been such a disaster, Microsoft is planning to ditch the whole base and introduce a new version of Windows 10 built on an entirely different platform -- and that disaster isn't all too far off.

20. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Some of you might recall that I spent about a month in the hospital last summer. That was because I had a gallbladder attack, they put in a stent, and sent me home. Three days later, they contacted me and told me to go back to the hospital and have the stent removed.

This led to a series of operations, some minor and two very major. In fact, I am still recovering from the major ones.

Yesterday, I received a call from the hospital asking me if the stent had been removed. I recounted what I posted above and said that as I was asleep during the operations, I have no idea if they actually removed the stent, but I presume that they did.

They told me that there is nothing in their records to show that it had been removed and if it has not, it is urgent that it be removed now. Frankly, after almost a year I can't figure out what makes it urgent now. They told me that they want to put me asleep again and stick something down my throat to remove the stent. I told them that I would not agree to it unless I was first x-rayed and they could see the stent. They agreed to this and today I had the x-rays. I was not told the results but instead I was given a disk which I can bring to the hospital so they can look for the stent.

I will go on Sunday, but having spoken today with my family doctor was told that after such a long period there is a good chance that my body has encapsuled the stent and the only way it could be removed is by a major operation. He refused to make any recommendation as to whether or not I should agree to the operation, but explained the pros and cons to having it or leaving the stent in.

I decided that if the stent is still in me, and if it does require a major operation, to refuse it and to live with the stent. Hopefully, on Sunday, I will be told that the stent is not inside me and that it was simply a bureaucratic mistake of not noting its removal last year.