Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Regular day off work - 10:30 am and nothing to do since I did all my chores earlier this week... I am getting it when a coworker yesterday said she went for a drive just to get out of the house for a while. I might be in that same state by tomorrow....

Since we are getting paid for our "safety days" off work we are supposed to stay at home, but on my regular weekends this is getting harder for me to do as I run out of stuff to get done around here.

One of my coworkers though has been delivering instacart on his "safety days". We had to tell him yesterday to be careful who he tells that too. If one of the big bosses busts him, then he won't get paid from work anymore. I know he is trying to build up his savings big time right now and applaud him for the effort, but unless he works on his weekend or after his regular shift he could get in some trouble ....

Maybe since it is my regular days off, I will do some surveys this weekend. I just don't want sit in front of the computer though, when it is so nice outside .... I might have to go somewhere and go hiking for a while.

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I don't know how much longer your nice weather will last @KmmCo. There was a big storm on the other side of the state this morning with large hail. They told us it was coming our way and had predicted it on the weather the last couple days.

The storm hit about an hour ago and it was a big one. LOTS of thunder and lightning. It started with hail and a LOT of wind and eventually turned into quite a bit of rain -- which we sorely needed, even after last night's late cloudburst.

The storm didn't last too long -- probably less than an hour -- but there was no mistaking it while it was here. Now the temps are supposed to drop way down again. We've been in the 80s the past couple days, but now we've got wet, windy temps slightly above freezing predicted. My winter clothes were too warm the past couple days, but now I'll probably have to shed my summer ones again.

Be forewarned. The storm is on its way!

Jorainna, jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  3. Gardencook

Would have posted this a half hour ago, but guess who had a totally unresponsive computer AGAIN. :mad: Three reboots later ... I don't know what Microsoft is up to this time.

Just watched the sunset over the Pacific Ocean!

I happened onto Facebook just in time to notice a Portland television news station was broadcasting a livestream of the sunset at Pacific City, Oregon. I can't go there personally so it was nice to visit virtually. I did miss the sea air, however.

One of the good things to come out of this crisis is all the free entertainment showing up on the Internet to keep all of us entertained at home. A lot of venues have really outdone themselves providing variety!

If anyone is interested, the Royal Opera will be streaming "The Winter's Tale" ballet tomorrow at 7 p.m. -- UK time. I'm not a big Shakespeare fan, but might tune in for some of the dance. They posted a clip from "The Sleeping Beauty" last night and I really enjoyed that.

The Metropolitan Opera is offering a modern opera tonight/early tomorrow, as well, but I'm more into history. :p

Andrew Lloyd Webber has also been offering one of his full-length shows for 48 hours each weekend on Youtube. This weekend it will be "Andrew Lloyd Webber's Royal Albert Hall Celebration"

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  4. Gardencook

Sitting here trying to wade through yet ANOTHER Microsoft mess! Someone want to try and explain this one to me, because I certainly don't understand?

Frankly, the only conclusion I can reach is that Microsoft is "Gaslighting" me. If they do enough crazy things they think I'll look like the crazy one trying to explain.

For several years and two computers I got NO notifications whatsoever even though Microsoft tried to convince me I was blind and just wasn't seeing them.

Now I'm getting totally worthless notifications, but I'm still not getting the USEFUL ones. Then this evening I got a notification that my "Virus & Protection" was turned off on my Windows Defender and I needed to turn it back on to protect my computer!

This was totally confusing. I just checked Windows Defender when I got the computer back from the technician a couple weeks ago. It was DEFINITELY on then. Only DH and I have touched it since then. If neither of us turned it off, who did?

So, because my computer acts so sluggish when Microsoft is doing anything I hit the notification button at least three or four times before I finally got to look at what they were claiming. This is what I found ...

"Settings" claims "Virus & Threat Protection" has action to recommend.

When you click on that button it claims there are "No Current Threats"

It claims the last scan was made April 16 at 1:40 p.m. and ZERO threats were found. Then right below that it claims the last scan was made 17 minutes ago. How can the last scan have been BOTH April 16 and 17 minutes ago? If my Virus & Threat Protection is turned off, how come it is still scanning?

Virus & Threat Protection Settings claims "No action is Needed."

Then we get to the crux of the matter. Since about two or three hours after Microsoft FINALLY installed yesterday's update that made my computer a nightmare for most of the day I KNEW it was downloading something else -- although nothing in the settings admitted it.

However, the settings now admit that the new security update that the Internet has been talking about was installed today -- May 1 at 6:54 p.m. The problem is, I got into settings BEFORE 6:54 p.m. Mountain Time -- the time zone my computer is supposedly running on, therefore settings was recording the installation (past tense) BEFORE that time even arrived.

Just as I've suspected for quite a while, Microsoft doesn't have a CLUE about adjusting for different time zones around the world and my dashboard is simply reporting the time wherever things are downloading from and trying to convince me it is MY time zone.

The reason I got only two or three hours of peace on this computer after the nightmare yesterday's update created all day long is that as soon as Microsoft finished that update, it began downloading this security update. There are DAILY updates from Microsoft these days making my computer almost completely useless for hours on end every single day. It isn't supposed to be installing anything until AFTER 10 p.m. at night -- but since it is probably downloading from all over the world, 10 p.m. can actually be any of the 24 hours in a day.

It doesn't matter what time I set my "active hours" for, Microsoft does what it wants when it wants. I have NO say in the matter.

Then while I was typing this -- BOOM! Black Screen of death again with the warning about overheating. As usual, the computer was NOT hot and the shutdowns ONLY occur when Microsoft is either downloading updates or installing them. The few hours a day when Microsoft isn't doing something it runs like a computer is supposed to.

HCW hadn't auto-saved the post yet like it normally does or if it had Microsoft wiped out all the cookies so I had to start over on the post AFTER a VERY long reboot complete with an advertising screen from Microsoft telling me all the "great" features I can subscribe to (i.e. pay for) to "help" me. HIGHLY suspicious!

Checked the settings and it is amazing, even though it had now been at least a half hour since the computer scanned 17 minutes ago, the computer had STILL done its last scan 17 minutes ago.

This is now my daily routine, because as soon as Microsoft gets one update installed it wreaks havoc downloading the one that will cause problems the next day.

But my settings still claim I need to take action to protect my computer -- at the same time I'm told no action is required. :confused:

This new "Security Update" sure makes me feel so much more secure! :eek:

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  5. Gardencook

Katherine Jenkins has been doing a weekly Facebook Live concert from her home each week. Since she's on UK time, it hasn't worked for us to watch them live, but we have been enjoying them later.

So tonight we're sitting down to this week's concert. She's on her seventh concert and we've REALLY been enjoying them, because we love her beautiful voice! We've gotten behind, however, and need to catch up on some of the earlier ones!

6. KmmCo

I have been watching some youtube cooking videos. Trying to get some good ideas for frugal meals!

I have also been watching some travel videos since I am just sitting at home still. There is a lot of stuff from last summer that has been fun to watch and is giving me ideas of where to go at some point in the future....

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  7. Gardencook

Two loaves of Corn Flour and Molasses Bread rising in the kitchen.

Been out of the habit too long! Making bread is like riding a bike. Once you learn you never forget and the dough goes together easily. You just "know" when it looks and feels right. It is all the hurdles you jump getting back in the habit that are the problem.

I'm having the worst time remembering how to raise the top of my Oster Kitchen Center! (Switches on the bottom and side must be pushed simultaneously.)

Last time, I couldn't remember how to get it up at all since it had been a couple years since I'd used it. Today I had it on slightly ajar and then it wouldn't go up and down properly. Thought I was going to have to give up and mix it by hand for a while -- and I've got to take the top entirely off each time, because I can't remember which slot is for the dough hook with one ridge on top and which is for the hook with two. (At least I remember which switch releases those! :p)

Of course, a tiny brown spider ran out from underneath and promptly disappeared before I could catch it. Looked like it could be a male black widow (males are brown, females black with a red hour glass), but maybe I'm just paranoid it is the progeny of that female I chased all over my counter for weeks/months a couple years ago.

Then there is the chaos from when DH took over the cooking when I was sick a few weeks ago. He set the stove on fire one night! :eek:

Last week, I realized he had melted the side of one of my favorite measuring spoons and my favorite spatula. Still haven't found the half-cup measure from my favorite measuring cups. I've got others, but you know how "comfortable" the old dependables feel ...

Then I don't know where all my kitchen clips went. I used to have a TON of them. I suppose he's been putting them somewhere other than where they belong.

At least we finally found the bread pans he had misplaced before I baked the last bread. :oops:

8. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I started to go to bed an hour a so ago, but the dog wanted out. She took forever and I stepped out into a brisk cool wind in the 50's and came wide awake. There was suppose to be a meteor shower tonight around this time but we have too much cloud cover with a bright moon behind it. :rolleyes:

Sherri1480, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  9. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

We are flooded in this morning. We had heavy rain all night long. The normally 6" creek is now a raging river and over the bridge and over our driveway. It will go down as fast as it went up though. Hopefully the driveway is holding under all that water. I do see large trees on the bridge, and the bridge is still there. Many years ago the bridge held, but the road around it collapsed and we had to go the long way to town for weeks.

10. KmmCo

I got bored enough this afternoon to go thru some boxes of "junk" in the office/sewing room. Tossed out a 13 gallon can of trash, had a tote full of papers to go to recycle, and organized some sewing stuff. I found about 3 items that went straight into the donation bag and have a few books to take to a "little library" box nearby. I ended up with a lot of stuff that got put away in the right places and eliminated some excess boxes from in front of my shelves.... I even made a little sewing kit for my van in a small plactic box that I found, in case I need to repair any clothing.

On the plus side, I rescued a ton of paperclips and got them back on my desk so that they can get reused. I was about to go buy another box of those soon....

The empty boxes are outside so that DH can fill them with yard trash tonight - he trimmed some bushes yesterday but didn't get it all picked up and bagged or boxed for the trash before it got dark last night.

11. Gardencook

Bread du Jour is Toasted Barley and Molasses.

We had an open box of toasted barley flakes (similar to Old Fashioned Rolled Oats) that had a clip on the top of the cellophane bag inside. Apparently, the clip vanished and I spilled it all over the floor making a huge mess the other day. Decided it was easier to finish off what was left of the box in a batch of bread rather than risk another disaster.

The bread is going through its first rise in the kitchen right now. We'll have two loaves when it is all finished. It is satisfying to get back to making our own again after so long, but we're going to have to hunt down some unbleached flour before long. Flour was still wiped out Tuesday when DH checked.

We've got a bread machine but it lets the bread rise too long and it falls before it starts baking -- even on the shortest cycle. I could take it out of the machine after kneading and bake it in the oven, but one loaf isn't big enough for DH's appetite anyway and we'd be doing it everyday.

My Oster Kitchen Center does a better job -- and I remembered how to use it today! :p Years ago I used to really enjoy kneading it myself until I realized it was setting off TMJ headaches.

Computer is still having hissy fits with close to six shutdowns per day and usually two or three disconnects from the Internet in addition to that.

Keeping a close eye on Microsoft trying to get to the bottom of it. Two shutdowns come at almost exactly the same time each day so I've learned not to start anything important for at least 10 or 15 minutes on each side of those times. Still haven't been able to find a pattern to the other shutdowns.

Each time I check my dashboard and most times I notice they've even been checking for updates or installing them. Microsoft has admitted to installing more than 25 or 30 updates to my computer just in the last couple weeks! It shuts down my computer for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM in addition to several additional shutdowns where they seem to be downloading a bigger update without actually installing it.

Microsoft keeps blaming our Internet provider, but it isn't doing this on DH's (although his does get sluggish when they're working) and mine didn't do it until that NIGHTMARE February Cumulative update that wreaked such havoc. The same thing happened with my old computer when the Fall 2018 Cumulative update destroyed the other computer. :mad:

12. mtka

Went touring our little rural town today. After a trip to the post office, we went by the Mennonite bulk food store and got a tomato plant and a lavender plant. The store was well stocked, but I did really need anything this week. They will get some sweet potato starts in a few weeks, so we will go back then. At least they have plenty of flour and other baking needs.

Then we went to a nursery we have never been to and got a hanging basket and some flowers. Tried to find the short cut home, it's only a few miles as the crow flies, but it's been so long since we have driven on the back roads that I didn't find the road.

We are expecting record lows this weekend and a hard freeze. Don't want to stock up on plants just yet.

13. Gardencook

The extreme cold is supposed to hit here tonight @mtka, it must be headed to you after us. :(

14. Gardencook

Got to watch a morning concert today -- evening in the UK where it was streaming live. Katherine Jenkins performed in the Royal Albert Hall. First time in 150 years there was no audience. The concert was in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

Excellent concert! It is still posted on Youtube, The Royal Albert Hall Facebook page or Katherine Jenkins' Facebook page if anyone is interested.

We’ll Meet Again for VE Day 75 with Katherine Jenkins

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  15. mtka

I guess we will watch "By Jeeves" tonight on The Shows Must Go On youtube channel. It's one I've not even heard of, but looks kinda fun. We did not enjoy the sequel to The Phantom of the Opera two weeks ago, and skipped the concert last week as we seen that before. Still hoping for Cats and Evita.

16. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

We cleaned up all small wood scraps in our yard from the garage project that is currently on hold. Larger wood pieces were taken to the dump today. Windows ordered at Home Depot in March were delayed week after week and are still not in 7 weeks later. The window company was in Ohio, also on lockdown, so the window company was probably closed. No notice from Home Depot until we called and called. We cannot get a refund since Crankie paid by check. The store mgr there had told us we would be charged a restocking fee of 15% if we cancelled the order.

I am cleaning up the mess from the girls move back home and still have items on my landing. Just need to re-organize and hope that they can take the stuff back to school in September. Time will tell if that is our reality in a few months.

17. Gardencook

The Phantom Sequel was not at all what I suspected it would be, but since the title song is one of our absolute favorites it was interesting to see the plot surrounding it.

I'd never seen the play before, but had read a little about the plot on Wikipedia a couple years ago. Didn't read all of the plot, however, since I didn't want to spoil it. That meant I was taken completely by surprise by the ending.

Still love the song "Love Never Dies," however. The words are so fitting, we used it at both of our mother's funerals. Katherine Jenkins did such a BEAUTIFUL rendition of it, and that is how we first learned of the song. If no one has ever heard it, these are the lyrics:

Love Never Dies
    Who knows when love begins, who knows what makes it start
    One day it's simply there, a life inside your heart
    It slips into your thoughts, it infiltrates your soul
    It takes you by surprise, then seizes full control
    Try to deny it and try to protest
    But love won't let you go, once you've been possessed

Love never dies, love never falters
    Once it has spoken, love is yours
    Love never fails, love never alters
    Hearts may get broken, love endures

And soon as you submit, surrender flesh and bone
    That love takes on a life much bigger than your own
    It uses you at whim, and drives you to despair
    And forces you to feel more joy than you can bear
    Love gives you pleasure and love brings you pain
    And yet, when both are gone, love will still remain

Once it has spoken, love is yours
    Love never dies, love never alters
    Hearts may get broken...

Love never dies, love will continue
    Love keeps on beating, when you're gone
    Love never dies, once it is in you
    Life may be fleeting, love lives on
    Life may be fleeting
    Love lives on

18. mtka

@Gardencook I have never even heard of the song, Love Never Dies. We did watch By Jeeves last night. It was ok, strange though.

So here's what's happening on the farm today. Our springbox (water trough fed by a natural spring) has been nearly dry for a year. I decided to take a leaky store bought water trough and some PVC pipe up the hill to get some water to the animals. The PVC was way too short, but the second trip up the hill with a hose did the trick. I was rather proud of myself and now we have fresh water for the animals up in the field so they don't have to come all the way home for water.

Later, my mom was feeding and threw what we thought was a molasses chunk from the bag of feed out to the fence. The dog immediately went after it and I went over to take it away. All that was left was intestines. Yep, the chunk must have been a mouse covered in molasses :mad:. We both about lost it. We have chunks before and thought nothing of it. Sometimes they end up in the feeding buckets of the horses and they walk away. I guess now we know why. We never even considered the possibility that it was anything other than a chunk of molasses.

19. Gardencook

This is the Katherine Jenkins video of Love Never Fails @mtka. As I mentioned, her version is the first we ever heard.

Love Never Dies, Katherine Jenkins

The version that appeared in The Show Must Go On last week was an Australian production. The clip of it is also on Youtube if you'd like to compare. I've got to say I enjoyed the elaborate Peacock backdrop in that one! ;)

Love Never Dies, Anna O'Byrne

20. mtka

@Gardencook That video was much better than the musical. A big part of the problem was we couldn't understand the words.

Tonight I guess it will be The King and I on Broadway HD.