Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Four of the things on my "Do Two" list for this week involve cleaning and organizing parts of my bedroom. My goal today is to do all four of them, which would complete that room!

Jorainna and Sherri1480 like this.
  2. XUfan

By the way (and this is a vent that does not involve anyone here...just relatives)....

Stop "casually" bringing up studies you've read about getting exercise during the quarantine. Stop sending me links to articles about how to NOT gain weight, or how you should focus on eating healthier during the quarantine. Yes...I'm overweight. Yes...I eat a lot of stuff that isn't on most approved diets. Yes...I would rather sit and read a book than walk around my neighborhood. But every time you tell me what I should be doing, the rebel in me wants to do the opposite!! And you know this about me!

3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

@XUfan, I know what you mean. Every time a doctor tells me about the damage that smoking can do, I get so nervous that as soon as I leave his office I light up a cigarette.

4. XUfan

Exactly!! :p

My older sister weighs no more than 100 pounds...ever! Every time she talks to me, she tells me about another study she read about weight loss that she thinks I might be interested in. And as soon as I'm off the phone (sometimes before), I eat something!

Last week, she emailed me to say that a doctor on CBS news said that, during the quarantine, we should only eat 3 meals a day, and not snack between meals. What????? Let me see, I get up at 5 am and go to bed at 11pm. So that's 18 hours. If I can make each meal last 6 hours, I should be fine!! ;)

5. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Yesterday I ordered groceries at Kroger for pick up. Had to place an order yesterday to pick up next Tuesday! The order was expensive and I didn't really get anything exciting. Will place another order at Tractor Supply to do curbside the same day and will get the grain at the feed mill curbside. Will be set for another 2 weeks. I really need (ok want) some garden stuff, but not risking it.

I took the pool cover off so the rain can start filling the pool. The lab was so excited to see the water. I started working on the container garden, but we have to use what supplies we have until Lowe's starts doing curbside pick-up. Going to plant a packets of lettuce from last year in the greenhouse so we have some fresh produce. The asparagus is coming. We got 1 spear of asparagus cooked, my mom picked up several spears and laid them on the stove. They disappeared, we assume in the lab's tummy. She has stolen bananas, leftovers, several tubs of butter, a potholder that we found a month later buried in the mud, and I'm sure other things we haven't noticed. You would think we would learn by now.

6. itsfun2save

itsfun2save Active Member Trader Group

@mtka I enjoy doing a garden too. I ordered some seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. They have free shipping and their seeds are reasonably priced. We are growing tomatoes and cucumbers. I still have a healthy jalapeno plant still producing from last spring!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  7. XUfan

Thanks for the info about Baker Creek Seeds. I know my husband will love looking at that website, and picking out new seeds for our garden!

8. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Someone I worked with just moved to Boise, so that news caught my attention..... I am moving to earthquake country in AK and that will be a new experience for me for sure.

What am I doing? Chores and housecleaning today.... Staying out of the bad weather outside! April snow is always the worst - wet and heavy. That is about all the excitement around here. I might take a break to watch a video before dinner...

9. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

KmmCo, I missed your original posts about moving to Alaska..when do you leave and what's the situation? Retirement, just a new start? I hope you'll continue to post here!

bugweena, Jorainna and Sherri1480 like this.
  10. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Yesterday was Genna's (Marina's husband) birthday. She wanted to celebrate it but all the restaurants in Israel are closed. They are not even permitted to sell take away, the only thing that is allowed is home delivery.

There is one restaurant that her whole family likes and I suggested that she order dinner from them. She has my credit card number, its expiration date, and the security number. I told her to use it.

Today, I got a strange telephone call from my bank. The woman who made the call asked me how I am feeling and if everything is okay. What makes it so strange is that nobody in the bank knows me -- I have only been in it three times and the last of them was over a year ago.

Although she did not mention my credit card at all, I have a feeling that the bank became suspicious of the charge -- especially considering that it was for a dinner for four, being delivered 30 kilometers from my home, and was paid for over the telephone.

11. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, we usually don't normally have that many earthquakes here in Idaho. We had a lot more in Washington and Oregon when I was growing up -- around the time of the terrible Alaska earthquake. Then they kind of settled down -- until Mount St. Helens blew.

We've had a couple of light shakes here through the years, but nothing to write home about. Quite a few younger Idahoans were in a panic the other day, because they'd never felt one before. This one was not quite, but almost as large as the Borah Peak quake -- the big one that hit up in Challis, Idaho 37 years ago and killed two children on their way to school.

This epicenter was near Challis/Stanley again, but since this time it was centered in the mountains there was only superficial damage. They did have to remove a 1,000 pound cross from the top of a Boise cathedral when it was damaged.

We live in Southeast Idaho and I knew we had a big one when I got on Facebook and a high school friend in Spokane, Washington also felt it! In the end people in about five states could feel the thing.

There have been at least 30 aftershocks in the past couple days.

What is especially worrying is that there were two earthquakes in West Yellowstone, Montana the morning before the quake, the big one was southwest of that, the first aftershock was southwest of that and just southwest of that aftershock was Boise.

Add to that nearly 730 aftershocks to the quake that did so much damage in downtown Salt Lake City a couple weeks ago and we're kind of surrounded by the things right now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  12. KmmCo

Job transfer for a year... I was suposed to go this month but the virus/border closure to Canada messed that up. I changed it to June and will take a ferry instead.... I just wanted an adventure/change of scenery for a while. Afer looking for other jobs, a transfer just seemed a logical thing to do... (I am not going there permanently. After the year, I can decide if I want to transfer back to CO or just retire.)

bugweena, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  13. KmmCo

Definitely not used to having Sundays off work. I think I will go for a walk before lunch. This afternoon I might be able to get some yard work done as the weather is actually pretty nice today....

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  14. XUfan

On Monday, I wrote my "Do Two" list for the 10 days that my husband is working. It's a list of projects I've been meaning to get to....and now I have lots of time to do them! He works Tues through the following Thurs, so since today is Sunday, he is halfway through his "work week". On Tuesday morning, when he left for work, there were 14 things on the list. I crossed them off as I did them. As I noticed other projects, I added them to the list.

There were were 25 things on the list as of this morning. 22 of them had been crossed off! Obviously, I did more than 2 projects every day! I only did one thing today, but it was a big project, and took about 2 hours. I cleaned an organized "my" closet in the spare bedroom. It's not for clothes. It's for my stuff! Now it's all in bins that are labeled, and it couldn't look better! The only thing left on the list is cleaning the blinds in the kitchen and bedrooms. If I could drive to Walmart, I'd buy new ones instead of cleaning them! LOL!!

Right before the quarantine, I bought paint for my kitchen. Now that all of the little things are done, I'll probably start on it next week.

15. XUfan

I shouldn't have gotten my list done so quickly. I don't have any projects to tackle today. And I just realized that doing them was what was helping take my mind off of things. Today is not a good day for me.

bugweena, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  16. XUfan

I got a phone call from my daughter-in-law yesterday. We chatted for about 30 minutes, just catching up on what we've both been doing for the past month. Then, one by one, my granddaughters got on the phone. It was great to talk to them! They just live 15 minutes from me, but with the stay-at-home order, we haven't seen each other since early March. My grandson lives 2 1/2 hours north of here, so he's feeling a little displaced right now. We can't wait until we all get to see each other again!

17. mtka

So yesterday was a grocery/feed day. I had a pickup order at Walmart, Kroger, and the feed store. Walmart was alright but I only ordered a few items and the bulk of the order was bird seed. Only one item was substituted and it was a very strange one that will go to the food bank unless we are really desperate. Kroger was a different story. When I called and said I was there, she offered to tell me of the oos/subbed items but I declined as it wouldn't have made a difference. I didn't get meat, bread, salad, crackers, powerade, and something else. They subbed my Easter candy for poor choices and my mom's donuts for some snack cakes, but whatever. There was a queue outside the store to get inside to shop. The feed store was a surprise as I didn't have to go inside. I now have 700 pounds of grain in my car that should last at least 2 weeks, we are hoping for 3 weeks. The suv was definitely feeling the weight.

I came in contact with a total of 6 people yesterday. I stayed 6 feet away from the pick ups at Walmart and Kroger. I put out cardboard boxes at the end of my car so they put the groceries in the box and I put the boxes back in the car. The feed store I had to hand the cc to an employee and she handed back the card and receipt. There were 2 loaders and one got to close when I told him I would shut the cargo door and he didn't hear me. And 1 at the Arby's pick up window. I really wanted to stop at CVS to get Easter candy, but it is right next to a hospital with a confirmed case and I just can't take the risk.

Sherri1480, flowerkitty and jastwins like this.
  18. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

My sister works in a hospital and one of her coworkers came down with Covid 19. Since they worked a shift together, my sister is considered exposed but still has to work in the NICU. She is fine but when she is at my parents, she sleeps in the basement. When she wanted to drop off some of my mom's baked goods at my brother's house, they told her to leave it on the front steps and not come in the garage. She was a little hurt by this, but I reminded her that our brother also works in a hospital (he is the head engineer for heating & AC) and he could have been exposed too. Then, she saw my side of it. What bothers me most is the fear I see in people and it makes me sad that this is how we have to live. Praying that we can get back to normal one day soon.

19. mtka

Our neighbor just fertlized his field. I had the doors open to get "fresh" air in, this is not fresh. :confused:

20. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

A couple nights ago I discovered the Metropolitan Opera has been showing videos of some of its past performances to keep people entertained during quarantine. Wish I'd known about it sooner.

The night I discovered it Donizetti's Tudor Queen Trilogy was starting. The first one about Anne Boleyn was fascinating, but it was late and I was too exhausted so I missed all but 30 minutes of it. :(

For those who haven't noticed I tend to be a history buff and spend a lot of time trying to catch up on the British Monarchy -- something they didn't bother to teach us much of anything about in school.

Last night's performance was Mary Queen of Scots and wove a pretty entertaining story -- even if it had little to do with historical accuracy. Guess at least he had the characters named properly. ;)

Tonight the trilogy concludes with Elizabeth I -- actually named after Rober Devereux, the Earl of Essex.

I never dreamed I'd be enjoying opera years ago, but I've actually developed a taste for the beautiful music and voices through the years. The sets and costumes for these productions are spectacular and historically accurate. The fact that The Met is supplying subtitles makes them a LOT more educational and easy to understand! Just wish I hadn't missed the others.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Jorainna, KmmCo, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.