Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@mtka , I am very sorry for the loss of your dog this week. They are members of our family and we grieve their loss. My Rosie, a yellow English lab, is 10 and I worry about losing her.
    Today, we dropped off our tax info and will wait to hear what the news is, good or bad. I am leaning toward bad since the note on the door explained that the owner of the small business passed, at age 58, from cancer. Her associate, now our accountant, is taking over the business.
    Crankie got a refund from his car part that was not the right one, so that means his car is in the shop still. We did some errands and some food shopping and are now home.

Sherri1480 and mtka like this.
  2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

mtka...I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your dog. I don't have any pets of my own now, but I have in the past, and I know that their loss can hit hard. Hang in there!

Things on my schedule for today are: a short (hopefully) grocery trip to pick up fresh produce and a few odds and ends, an acupuncture appointment, and a trip to Walmart and/or Hobby Lobby for picture frames and some fabric. After all of that, I need to sit down and pay some bills, and see what money is left in the "re-do the family room" budget. And, this time of year, there's always JDRF stuff to do!

mtka, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Isn't this the Age of Aquarius with the mind's true liberation?

Cathy, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  4. XUfan

LOL!! You did see that I said acupuncturist, right? He's got some ideas that are a little different from mine, but he is fun to listen to! And he can always find something to talk about for the 45 minutes I'm on the table! Today, we started with the weather, moved on to the working poor, the time change, veganism, the ridiculous cost of utility bills (and how he wants to look into solar power), and then finished off with the progress he's making with his training for a 100 mile bike race in August. And I probably left out something.

5. XUfan

This morning I'm going to try to get several things marked off today's to-do list. My granddaughter has a dentist appointment, and if it runs late, I have to go pick her up at the dentist office so her mom can get to work on time. So, I'll keep myself busy, crossing things off the list. Then I'll run my errands later. After Hubby gets home from work, we might go shopping for end tables again. Someday we'll find what we're looking for!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  6. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I am going to try to escape the media frenzy today & concentrate on other things. Yesterday I was bombarded in the store...( chatter was very high in the grocery store), the radio on in the car , turning on the evening news & looking at social media was overwhelming .
    On a brighter note, Today I checked out the hummingbird migration map. So far they have been spotted in northern Arkansas. It is time to get the feeders ready. Plus, I have pansy that are ready to be planted. I am looking forward to getting out in the sunshine & getting my hands dirty! The daffodils are blooming and I am ready to (as Harrison Ford said in the promo for Call of the Wild) Get up ,get out ,and take in some nature!

7. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Enjoying a couple of our favorite movies on the Movies! TV network this afternoon. The Quiet Man with John Wayne just finished and Brigadoon -- one of my all-time favorite musicals -- is now playing.

We assumed The Quiet Man was on due to St. Patrick's Day, however, Brigadoon takes place in the Highlands of Scotland, so it appears someone got a few islands confused.

It will be followed by a movie called "The Boy with Green Hair" which seems to have a lot of Irish names in the credits, so I'm assuming that plus the word "green" may also be following the "theme."

They seem to be replaying all three of them later in the day.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  8. XUfan

Since there are no functions to attend, and there are probably too many people at the grocery stores, I will continue to stay home.

I'm going to make a list of things I've wanted/needed to do around the house. Both spare bedrooms are a jumbled mess, so I'll probably start on one of them today. I've got a big bin of paperwork "I'll file later" that could be emptied. Also, there are a couple of catch-all places that are full of clutter I could go through. One of the bedrooms is where I was piling the stuff for the JDRF garage sale that I won't be able to have now. So, I need to get that stuff in totes, and stacked against one wall.

If I get one bedroom done today, I'll feel really good about things!

9. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@XUfan, I understand abo tackling the rooms. I have asked my girls to put their college things away and they have done so to a point. Physically there is not enough room and you have to get creative. I am sure they are not using their closets to the fullest capacity and I need to know what we can throw out or give away. We have not even brought d2 stuff upstairs yet and her room needs a good clean up before we store more things in there. So today will be laundry and filling up lots of garbage bags and donating some things.
    Gone are my quiet afternoons of drinking tea and watching General Hospital. Semi-retirement is what I called it. EVERYONE is home now and I am cooking and cleaning like mad. The girls have helped a little, but they have school work to do still . Crankie was put on furlough for a week and let's just say he is kind of lost without being able to see his friends at breakfast. One friend's wife has a chronic medical condition, is on oxygen so she will not go to any public places for now. Last week he started a project in our yard, so I expect to vacuum twice daily since he tracks in so much dirt.
    I am getting paid from my school job and I am so grateful. In the mornings, I help pack up meals for delivery. Two mornings a week I will provide daycare at my school for 2 kids whose mom is a nurse. Parents still have to work in the midst of this pandemic. It is great to get out of the house and see some familiar faces. The new normal is scary and I hope it does not stay this way for too long.

10. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

So a weird thing happened earlier this week. I went downstairs to the kitchen to work on the dogs dinner, people dinner, and bake a few cookies from a batch in the frig. As soon as I got downstairs, the smoke alarm right up the stairs beeped and said "low battery", yes it talks. It usually does this at 2 am and the dogs go nuts, so this time was more convenient, but would get to it in a few minutes. Turned on the oven, put the cookies on the tray, went to fix the dogs dinner while the oven heated up. Got all the kibble assorted (we have 5 dogs now), turned around, the oven is on fire! It was pretty scary looking, but well contained inside. The element has had a weak spot for a year, but wasn't going to replace until it went, well it went this week. The timing was remarkable though. I promptly put new batteries in the smoke detector. Now I am searching for a new element.

Also, please stop with the rain. We have had way more than our share. With all the doom and gloom on the tv, radio, anything else electronic, we could use a little sunshine here.

11. XUfan

mtka, that must have been scary! I'm glad it all worked out!

12. XUfan

Well, I got one of the spare bedrooms in order yesterday. It looks really good! I straightened the other one, but it could still use some love.

As I was cleaning, I kept adding paperwork to the "later" bin. Today, I'm going to go through it and shred what I don't need to keep, file what I do need to keep, and toss out the junk mail that somehow always gets put into that bin. That's a big job. I'll probably park myself in front of the TV while I do it, and watch some stuff on Food Network.

Speaking of food, I also have two heads of cauliflower that I want to blanch and freeze, and some bell peppers that need to be chopped and frozen. I just realized that I also have some asparagus that we should eat today or tomorrow...or else I'll be blanching and freezing it too.

The next big project is cleaning every surface in my kitchen. Yes, I keep it clean regularly, but we actually thought ahead and bought paint, so that we could paint the kitchen while we're stuck in the house. I even ordered new curtains to match the new color. Anyway, I want to make sure that everything is really clean before we start painting.

13. XUfan

I finally got around to shredding all of that paperwork! It's amazing how much stuff I didn't keep!

I was having a "down" day today, so I didn't get anything else done. I still have to deep clean the kitchen to get it ready for painting. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

The only other "to-do list" thing I did today was to email all of the people that I had emailed 2 weeks ago, asking for help with the JDRF garage sale in May. Well, that's not happening now...so I thought I'd send them an update. It broke my heart to send it. That sale is the big moneymaker for our team. Without it, this will be the first year that we don't reach our goal.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  14. XUfan

Earlier this week, I started a "Do Two" list. I wrote down closets and drawers that needed cleaning, bins that needed to be sorted out, rooms that could use a good cleaning, paperwork that should have been filed long ago, etc. I've crossed off some things...and added others to the list as I find new things that need my attention. My goal each day is to cross two things off after they're done. Some days, I cross of two, and then add two more! The list has helped me to get some things done that should have been done before. And, since my goal each day is only two of the things, it's not overwhelming when I look at it. Also, some things are really small, so on a day when I just don't have a lot of motivation or energy, I just do two small things. So far, it's working!

Since I'm venturing out to the grocery stores later this morning, I thought I'd get one thing done before I leave, and then try to get a bigger thing done this afternoon. I haven't chosen my tasks yet.

Have a great day everyone!

15. MEN ON A BUDGET

MEN ON A BUDGET Member

I totally agree and especially with your positive spin on things. I've heard from a lot of Facebook virus experts, who knew there were so many? We just planted some root vegetables the other day and just waiting a little bit to plant the rest. It's with our local community garden and our home patio garden.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  16. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I violated Israeli law on Thursday but gave myself a technical out if the police stopped me.

Both Marina and her husband are paid on the 9th of each month. I know what their incomes are and together they are not able to support themselves and their two children. Therefore, for the past few years I have taken Marina to a supermarket in the last week of a month and the first week of the following month. However, they live about 30 kilometers from me and, with certain exceptions, I am not allowed to go more than 100 meters from my house.

This week, I gave Marina the details of my credit card and she ordered dinners from four restaurants which know me to be delivered to her house. Still, four dinners are a lot more expensive and offer less variety than filling up a shopping cart in a supermarket. On Thursday, I drove to where she works and gave her an envelope with 500 shekels (about $140) which she can use next week for her shopping.

Then, to be certain that I would not get a 5000 shekel fine if stopped by the police on my way home, I went into a pharmacy and bought a box of Acamol (the Israeli equivalent of Tylenol). Going to a pharmacy is one of the legal reasons for violating the quarantine.

(I don't think I was risking anybody's life as I was the only person in my car and wore an N1 mask when I went out of the car.)

Marina actually tried to talk me out of doing it as I am in the high-risk category (74, smoker, and have underlying health problems). I did not dare tell my daughter about this outing as she would have been furious.

I figure it this way: Oct 1966-Oct 1967 I was in combat in Vietnam. In 1982, as a civilian journalist, I accompanied Israeli forces into Lebanon as far as Beirut. (Later, I served as a reserve officer in the Israeli Army but luckily did not see combat.) In 1991, when Iraq was firing Scud missiles at Tel Aviv, I drove there to buy a pair of ice skates. I live on the Israeli-Lebanese border and spent a month in 2006 coming under heavy rocket fire. In 2008, I had a quadruple bypass operation. Last summer, I had one minor, and two major, operations from which I am still recuperating.

If I was able to live through all of that, how worried could I be about getting an invisible virus during a short drive to enable Marina's family to buy groceries?

17. Gardencook

Amazing what a difference a few weeks makes. I had a BIG outing today which wouldn't have been considered anything before Coronavirus hit. It is the first time I've been out of the house for five or six weeks.

It was quite the "excitement." :p First we drove to the post office a few blocks away and I stayed in the car while DH ran inside to mail a couple letters at the desk.

Then we drove a few blocks to Taco Bell for our free Doritos Locos Tacos at the drive-through window. Of course, we picked up a few other items while we were there. DH was driving so placed the order and he paid and accepted the food so I didn't come in contact with the employees. We used a gift card so no money OOP.

Then we drove less than a block for DH to fuel the car with a 60 cent fuel reward that was expiring today.

From there we drove straight home. The route was simply a circle and if you stretch the mileage we may have put 2.5 miles on the odometer. I didn't have to leave the car since I'm still coughing occasionally and would freak people out. (Given my past history, the cough will probably stick around for at least another month or two.)

At least it got me out of the house and a little bit of fresh air while following the rules. We've had the windows in the house open a couple times on nice days, but it just isn't the same. We've had a bit of rain today, so the air is really fresh.

Jorainna, Sherri1480, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  18. Gardencook

Well, I was quite happy with my earlier excitement. Could have done without the latest. We just had a 6.5 magnitude earthquake hit the state!

We were taking a nap after our tacos and my chair started shaking all over the place. I blurted out "Earthquake!" Which of course, quickly awakened DH. That was shortly after a big thunderstorm that moved through a short while earlier.

Seems they felt it across the whole state and a high school friend in Eastern Washington also.

There were a couple earthquakes in West Yellowstone, Montana earlier in the day and they've had more than 650 aftershocks to the one that hit Salt Lake City area a couple weeks ago.

Took a while for them to pin down the epicenter. Apparently, according to the local news the USGS employees were at home. Initial reports were it was Challis, Idaho, but now they're saying Stanley. Challis is where we had a big 6.9 magnitude earthquake in 1983 that killed two children on their way to school.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  19. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

We made it out to the Post Office yesterday. The closet one is 8 miles round trip, but that one the mail goes to Knoxville to be sorted and I need a birthday card to get to Lexington today, so drove 18 miles round trip to the next closet one to the north. I was wearing my pj's because I wasn't going to get out of the car. This PO is part time and closes at 2:45 pm, it was a little after 3 pm and the mail in the outside box is supposed to be picked up at 3:45 pm. Turns out you have to get out of the car at this PO. There was a crew working on the RR crossing a hundred feet away. I promptly turned the car around, parked it in front of the box, and got out in my pj's to put the card in the box. That was our excitement yesterday in the rain.

20. XUfan

My husband is still working. His work week (10 days), started yesterday. So, on Monday, I wrote a list of projects I want to get done during his 10 days at work. I call it my "Do Two" list (a play on "To-Do"). And my plan is get two things done each day.

I got 7 things done yesterday! Of course, as the day went on, I found other things to add to the list, so I'm not nearly done!

I've done two things already today, but I plan to do at least one more thing before I sit down to read.