Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I think they've made us all hostages to technology @jastwins. Sorry to hear Apple is doing the same thing to you. If I could junk it all, I would.

Supposedly, this latest update that fouled up my computer had
    "important security updates" so I suppose they are trying to keep the hackers at bay, but in the process they are destroying the usefulness of the computers for users -- and this nonsense about not getting ANY advance notice before they mess you up ... :(

While I've been able to use it for the most part over the weekend, the computer is still acting flaky -- sluggish with long delays on the cursor causing it to jump all over the place and the page scrolls all over without you being able to control it or get to the right spot on the page. The computer seems to be trying to install things in the background making it inefficient to use.

We got a follow-up call from Microsoft on Friday night. They've determined that the fixes they came up with for the bugs they installed last week aren't working. My case has now been bumped to their top level technicians.

They needed to make an appointment for a technician to call and do more work, however, I'm not the only one with a messed up computer so they couldn't get me in for an appointment for another week!

The fellow admitted there are a lot of people in the same boat after this update. I guess at least they are FINALLY admitting they caused it, which is more than they would do when destroying our last computers.

And of course, the BIG question I had to ask in this day and age is HOW will we tell the technician who calls is REALLY from Microsoft and not a hacker? We get so many "ghosted" calls anymore, that even though the caller I.D. says "Microsoft," how do you know for sure?

He did give us some information, so we think it was actually Microsoft calling and we hope hackers can't get the information we'll use to identify the technician.

The long delay in being able to get an appointment was bad enough, but yesterday DH's last uncle died. We haven't yet found out the time of the funeral, but we suspect we're probably going to have a conflict and will need to reschedule the appointment. Who knows how long that will take?

Meanwhile, this morning my computer again went black screen without warning and I lost what I was working on AGAIN! Everything is still jumpy and sluggish -- even though I've restarted. I've probably got at least two weeks of this to look forward to, before I can even get an appointment. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Well, thankful to come home to a working ipad. Let's just hope it lasts. In one instance, the home screen looked ok, but when I tried chrome, it would go white/gray screen. So far so good, but I am still weary it will happen again.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  3. jastwins

UMMMMM, back to the gray and white screen......:mad:
    just used the ipad for a few minutes and the screen went white. Just hoping and praying it comes back again..

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  4. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

upload_2020-2-14_12-57-14.png
    Hope everyone has a nice day today!
    Of course I am work and it was 17 degrees this morning with a light dusting of snow. The snow was unexpected, but it drove the birds to my feeders. That was great as today is the first day of the Great Backyard Bird Count that will go through Monday. I love my birds!

upload_2020-2-14_14-3-35.png

Sherri1480, Cathy, mtka and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardencook

DH's uncle died so we had to head for Boise. The funeral was scheduled for the exact time as the Microsoft appointment. We had to wait a week to get that appointment, because there were so many customers with the same mess Microsoft had installed on their computers in line before us.

We called Microsoft to let them know we'd be unable to keep the appointment and rescheduled it for Monday (today) at 11 a.m. -- at least that is what the technician we spoke with told us. :rolleyes:

While we were on slow/unsecure hotel Internet, Microsoft started downloading a TON of updates AGAIN!!! What a mess! :confused:

Then after Microsoft had been working in the background on DH's computer he tried to get on a conference call and no one could hear him AGAIN, just like happened last autumn when Microsoft installed the last buggy update to his computer. :eek:

DH called home to check our messages and Microsoft called at 11 a.m. Friday -- the time of the appointment we supposedly had cancelled. Then technicians called again Saturday morning, even though we had informed them we wouldn't be home -- obviously, it did no good to reschedule the appointment, because they didn't get the message.

Saturday night we got an e-mail that our case had been closed -- despite the fact THEY were the ones who called US to say there were problems with the updates they'd installed and upper level technicians would need to uninstall the damage they had done. :mad:

DH sent an e-mail telling Microsoft that we had rescheduled the appointment due to a death in the family, that we had acted in good faith and expected Microsoft to do the same by honoring the Monday 11 a.m. appointment.

We got NO response.

By late Saturday night, there was a stack of at least five or six updates "pending" in my settings list after they had made my computer sluggish all weekend.

Then I got the first "notification" that an update was ready to install that I've gotten in months -- I'm honestly not sure I've EVER gotten a notification on this computer.

The notification told me the update would be installed when I shut down my computer. Just a short while later, the computer shut down without notice while I was working on something. It DID NOT wait until I shut down as the notification had promised.

Sunday morning, my computer started going black screen about every hour again with the same old "thermal shutdown" excuse that now comes with ALL Microsoft updates and which a technician has already admitted is happening to some customers.

The situation got so bad that I noticed Microsoft had installed a "Pause all Updates" button and I used it. However, the calendar on the thing was acting up and didn't respond properly -- probably due to the updates Microsoft was trying to install in the background.

I set the calendar to pause updates until Tuesday, however, instead it told me it would not install anymore updates until March 3. Then it continued to go black screen installing updates without notice anyway -- despite the fact that updates were supposedly "paused."

After the black screen fiascos calmed down a bit, I checked the updates section again, to see that at least four or five of the pending updates had vanished -- apparently installed?

All that was left was a "Cumulative Update" and apparently that was the one causing all the problems AGAIN, just like it did last week.

So today we had my computer on and set to go when 11 a.m. rolled around -- the time we had rescheduled the appointment for BEFORE Microsoft closed our case. Of course, the call didn't come.

Meanwhile, DH checked the Internet and learned the latest Microsoft update has been such a disaster Microsoft had to pull it and is now asking everyone who has a computer on whom the update was installed to UNINSTALL it. o_O

So DH called Microsoft when our "scheduled" call didn't come. The first technician wasn't equipped to handle our case and our case file didn't record ANYTHING about our call to reschedule the appointment.

We were put on hold while they transferred us to an upper level tech. She checked the updates on my computer and said there was no Cumulative Update waiting to be installed -- apparently Microsoft pulled it overnight? She also didn't seem to know anything about an installed update that needed to be uninstalled.

She did spend a couple hours going through my computer remotely running diagnostics and trying to fix things that might be causing our problems. I HOPE they finally got something fixed, because updates seem to be systematically destroying this brand new computer just like they did the last one. :(

So if anyone is having computer problems, you might want to start by checking this article that just appeared today:

Microsoft is forced to pull a disastrous Windows 10 update that caused computers to crash and keep freezing

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  6. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I have a new train posted in the train forum...looking forward to spring.
    Check out the train here.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  7. Gardencook

We can now cross one more thing off our bucket list. We've always wanted to get up to the National Elk Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming when there are actually elk there. The 11,000 elk move on from the refuge once the weather improves. We've been to Jackson many times, but only during fairly good weather. We got some snow the year we went up for our anniversary in mid-May, but the elk were already gone by then.

This year, we got a rare window when the roads were clear, the sun was shining and it was too cold to snow -- so we grabbed it and took spur-of-the-moment trip up there.

Gotta say the wind was a bit frigid at times -- it got down to minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit (not counting wind chill) early this morning. However, the scenery was spectacular and well worth a little discomfort. We've never been to Jackson in winter, but the change was fun!

8. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Sherri1480, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  9. Gardencook

Yes! There are about 11,000 elk on the refuge right now. Then we saw another large herd in the Targhee National Forest on the way home.

There is SOOO much snow up there in the winter, that the refuge was set up in the early 1900s when elk numbers began to dwindle due to winter starvation. They feed them hay and alfalfa pellets when the range is covered in snow and then don't feed when there is enough grazing material exposed between snow melts.

It was encouraging to see so many in one place. We were in Yellowstone one autumn the day before they closed the south entrance. The elk knew snow was on the way and were gathered at Mammoth Hot Springs. It was quite a sight to behold.

Then we traveled through a few years ago under similar weather conditions and saw very few elk at Mammoth. The rangers told us that the wolves they reintroduced had really diminished the numbers, which was concerning to say the least!

We got to see a lot of snow geese or perhaps trumpeter swans, as well. Those migrate away when the warmer weather gets here, as well, so we haven't seen much of them in the past.

Of course, the downside to the cold temps that allowed us to get up there is most animals are hiding right now -- probably semi-hibernating would be my guess.

Normally, you see quite a few bison on the stretch between Jackson and the Moran entrance to Grand Teton National Park and moose are common between Jackson and Teton Village Ski Resort. However, all the signs warning us to be careful of wildlife on the road seemed almost comical when we were staring at miles upon miles of virgin snow with absolutely NO animal tracks to be seen.

I suspect more of the bison are farther north at Yellowstone right now. All those thermal hot springs would be a whole lot warmer than Jackson at the moment. ;)

Here's a live camera view of the refuge taken a few days ago from the National Museum of Wildlife Art -- which sits on a hill directly across from the refuge. Its a fabulous museum if you ever get to visit!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Sherri1480 likes this.
  10. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Any time I use a credit card I take the receipt and when I get home I enter the charge on my computer. That way I can be certain that I will never be overdrawn or find an unwelcome surprise at the end of the month.

Today, when I got back from eating lunch in town, I threw all my clothing into the washing machine and then proceeded to do the usual with the restaurant charge.

Not only could I not find the receipt -- I couldn't find my wallet. This meant instant panic! I had six American and Israeli credit cards, my driver's license, my journalist's ID, a bunch of "membership cards" which give me discounts at various Israeli chain stores, and a reasonable amount of cash -- all in that wallet.

I searched my house and couldn't find the wallet. I looked through my car -- no luck. I knew I had it when I paid the restaurant bill and I didn't go anywhere else -- but I don't have the restaurant's phone number.

Then I had a crazy thought: Could I have left the wallet in my pants' pocket when I threw the pants into the washing machine?

I had to wait until the machine finished but when I opened it I found that the wallet had fallen out of the pocket during the washing, but it was still in the machine. Everything I had in it was still there. All of the cards are plastic so they were not impacted (unless I find that the washing damaged the strips which are swiped by stores).

The wallet is leather and I am hoping it dries out well. The cash is soaking wet but I expect it will be okay. Of course, this gives a whole new meaning to the term "money laundering".

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Sherri1480, mtka, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  11. jastwins

@Fillies Fan So glad your wallet was with you and not lost or stolen. Replacing the cards would have been a tough task. I washed my car key fob once and it is still working just fine. Hopefully it will be dried out soon and you can go shopping again!
    A very long time ago, I had maroon jeans and washed them with a $20 bill in the pocket. The bill also turned maroon and when I went to pay with it, the man at the post office refused to take it. After arguing with the man at the counter, I pointed out that I was wearing the jeans that caused the color to fade onto the bill and he let me purchase my stamps.

12. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Fillies Fan...I feel your relief..so stressful. I'm glad it ended well :)

Sherri1480, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  13. Amber SmithKa

Amber SmithKa Member Trader Group

Today didn't start off too well. Woke up a little after midnight with terrible cramps. Then again around 5am sick to my stomach. Been up with the puppies ever since. My only plan for today is to re-familiarize myself with the forum and try to plan a trip into town maybe in the next day or two. I've noticed a lot of the threads aren't active and that super sucks. I thought about adding whatever deals I find in my search for creating my own shopping list... *shruggs shoulders*

14. Amber SmithKa

Amber SmithKa Member Trader Group

Doing my best today to remember to go to town & get a paper or two. Just not feeling very social today really. Been working on laundry & tidying up the master bedroom so far today. Boyfriend says we might start tearing up the carpet soon to lay down the floating floor that we got a few weeks ago.

I don't know. I've just been in such a funk lately. Maybe it's Mercury Retrograde. Maybe it's Aunt Flow..... Maybe I've just grown tired & need to change things up?? Whatever it is, I need to figure it out quickly before I lose my sanity.

Hope ya'll are having a fabulous Sunday. It's absolutely beautiful here right now. I really should be outside doing some yard work but.... yeah.

15. Fillies Fan

My Israeli passport expires in May but I decided to renew it now because if I pay online before Feb 29 and file the application before March 15, it is half-price.

I paid on Feb 28 and received an appointment at the Interior Ministry for today to file the application. The application, itself, was a rather lengthy one asking for a lot of personal details. In addition, I was told that I had to bring with me my old passport, my national ID card, two photos meeting the specifications the Interior Ministry requires, the receipt for my payment (which was sent by email), and the credit card I used for paying.

My appointment was for 10:24 in the morning but as I didn't know exactly where the Ministry office is located, I left my house early and arrived at 9:30. When I got there, I was given a ticket with the number 124 written on it. I was told to wait until my number is called. (This is common in Israel -- you can arrive as early as you want but the ticket number you are given is based on the time of your appointment. If others who had earlier appointments show up, they are given lower numbers than you. If they don't show up, they are skipped over.

The office was almost empty, which I attribute to the fact that Israel is advising everyone in the country not to leave it because of the Coronavirus. I guess that most simply decided not to get passports right now. The first number called was 118. The second was 122. I was the third one.

I started to take out my filled-in application and all of the other things I was told to bring. The clerk stopped me, saying that all I need is my ID card and my old passport. All of the other information was already in their files and he took a biometric photo of me, so I did not need the pictures nor did he want to see proof that I paid or the credit card. My record showed that I had already paid.

The whole thing, from when I entered the office to when I left, was about 10 minutes -- which was considerably less time than filling out the unneeded application had taken.

16. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Hi Everyone! It's been a while (again) since I posted. Sorry! I've been busy with lots of things, and although I always have good intentions, I run out of time to post.

So, today is my 62nd birthday. I've gotten a phone call, and a few texts with birthday wishes. Hubby had to work today, so I'm spending the day alone.

I started by catching up on two shows I recorded, while I ate breakfast. After that, I started working on the laundry. While it's sloshing around in the washer and dryer, I'm catching up on emails (and posting here), and paying some bills. I have a big bin of paperwork to file when I'm done with that. Then I have a couple of phone calls to make. If I get all of that done, and still have time to kill before Hubby gets home, I might rearrange the cabinets in the pantry. After I did my "coronavirus stockup shop" the other day, I just crammed everything in the cabinets instead of putting things where they go. It's bugging me.

17. Fillies Fan

Happy birthday @XUfan (even if, at age 62, you are still a young, punk, kid).

Sherri1480 likes this.
  18. XUfan

Thanks! I can remember when I thought 62 was sooooo old! I don't think that now!

Today, I have errands to run, and some paperwork, that didn't get done yesterday, to do. While I'm out, I might stop by a couple of furniture stores, and look at love seats. We moved our old one to a spare bedroom when we cleared the family room out last week so Hubby could put the new floor down. I don't want to move the old one back in my nice new room!!

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  19. XUfan

It's a beautiful day here. But, I think I'll try staying home and getting some work done!

Last night we picked out the new loveseat for the family room. I've been doing some online window shopping to find end tables and curtains that will go with it and the chairs we already have. I want to go to Kohl's and see what they actually look like, but I detest shopping on weekends! So, I'll wait until Monday.

I hope to get some JDRF stuff done today. We are about 2 months away from the big annual garage sale, and I still need people to donate items we can sell. So, I have to draft an email to my relatives and friends, begging for their junk. I also have to send them another email, asking for actual donations to our team. We are wayyyyy behind!

Those are my plans. I hope I can stay on track today. I seem to be unfocused lately. Of course, my acupuncturist says it's because Mercury is in retrograde...but who knows?

20. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

It has been a mixed week here. On Wednesday, we lost our 12 year old Pyrenees. It was really hard. She watched over the goats and horses in the day, but enjoyed her bed indoors. Still crying.

Last Sunday my brother came for the afternoon. We don't get to see him that often as he lives in NY, but he was working on a project in Nashville, which is a couple hours away. It was a beautiful day so it was really nice. Tuesday morning I woke up and he texted me 2 words "I'm ok". Umm, alright. Then I opened the phone browser and saw the destruction in Nashville overnight. He was close by and the hotel didn't have power, but he was ok.

Went feed/food shopping yesterday. Kroger was absolutely packed and many things were running low. They had boxes of Clorox wipes all over the store, but no water. Since our state now has a first case, the frenzy has begun. We have enough food to last for months, but I don't stockpile feed and pet food. We may have to look into that, though.