Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

I'm not sure if @flowerkitty accepts "fugitives" on her trains @Fillies Fan! ;)

Glad you are feeling better.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Cathy like this.
  3. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@mtka congrats! I just bought a Fitbit Inspire on Amazon for $60 bucks.
    Did not win one after trying the free code. Enjoy and let me know how it works out for you. We are doing a Fitbit challenge at my school and I am looking forward to receiving mine today and finally setting it up to count my steps.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  4. Gardencook

UGH! More than a foot of snow today so we enjoyed a nice quiet day at home.

The city was on the ball and the snow plow drove by after 3 a.m. then returned to hit the other side of the street a few minutes later.

DH kept busy shoveling this morning, but I don't know how much good it did. The wind was howling so loud at times it was drifting just as fast as he shoveled.

It is currently 20 degrees Fahrenheit and will be below zero tonight. It probably won't climb above 20 degrees tomorrow, but at least we aren't supposed to drop below zero tomorrow night -- it is supposed to be a "balmy" five degrees above!

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  5. Gardencook

Just learned why DH was out there so long today. Someone with a front-end plow pushed all the next door neighbor's snow in front of our house! Not only do we now have a mountain with twice as much snow as we're supposed to, but it spilled all over our sidewalk and DH had twice as much to take care of to keep our walk clear! He had already shoveled before our sidewalk was inconsiderately covered again with the neighbor's snow! :mad:

Meanwhile, the neighbor now has the front of her home COMPLETELY clear as if there was never a storm.

DH hadn't mentioned it to me. I was disgusted when I read it on a neighborhood forum and was about to read it to him when I realized he was the one who wrote the post. He decided shaming might be the only thing that keeps them from making a habit of it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  6. jastwins

You wonder what goes through people's mind that they think it is ok to "relocate" all their snow onto your property. Sad that these people made so much extra work for your husband, @Gardencook.

My neighbor, 2 doors down, will come over with his snowblower to clear a path for us. He does this for my neighbor next door too. Another friend of Crankie's will plow our driveway if it more than a 6 inch snowfall. When we first moved here there was a big storm and van got stuck for a day. It was only me with one shovel, borrowed from my neighbor. Very frustrating and I missed a day of work because of it. WE learned the hard way that you have to hire someone or have lots of shovels & a snowblower.

My other neighbor and I clean the steps and walkway when it snows for my 90 year young neighbor. She is in good health and people come to check on her daily. Her name is Dee and the other night she told me that she loves to hear my dog bark. I told her I hope it did not bother her and she said, "Oh, no, it tells me that you are home with Rosie" Such a sweet and kind lady..

7. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

I have a Fitbit Alta now. I am getting lazy with the steps in this wet gloomy winter, but the silent alarm is the most wonderful thing about it for me. I have the fitbit hooked up to the walgreens balance rewards. It doesn't pay out like it used to, but I still make a couple bucks a month from it. This new one I won (inspire HR) is supposed to be pool safe, so really looking forward to that!

8. jastwins

Mine was waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home from chaperoning a game last night. I set up my fitbit inspire and have done over 3200 steps this morning. Lots of stairs in my small school!

9. Gardencook

I used to enjoy shoveling snow for our elderly neighbors in winter. It was great exercise and the blizzards those years were the worst in the city's history. Now I'm just trying to keep myself from falling on the ice when I go out the door. lol!

However, this has been a longstanding fuss with various neighbors in that house next door and I think DH just got fed up with it yesterday. I was surprised he had posted about it on a public forum, but enough is enough. Why can't people just be neighborly any longer?

When we first bought our house the original owners lived in the houses on either side of us and those people were great. We never had problems with the house above us and simply considered the space between our two houses land we shared. We had the same good relationship with the original owner of the house below us.

However, problems began when he tried to sell his home to his son -- who quit making payments, so the father moved back in. Then he sold it to his grandson -- whose wife never tired of telling us our neighborhood wasn't good enough for her because only new construction suited her. They had no intentions of staying, and just bought it as a fixer-upper to flip for a quick profit. They sold it to the current owners.

Meanwhile, at a house several above us the owners bought a huge motor home which didn't fit in the driveway and blocked the sidewalk. They got in a feud with their neighbors over parking and the next thing we knew one Saturday morning we were awakened to someone digging up our front yard!

DH ran outside to find out what in the world was going on and it turned out to be surveyors trying to find the original stakes for property lines all along the street.

The survey conclusion was that the builders were off by one foot on EVERY lot on the street -- i.e. the house above the neighbors above us have one foot of that house's land. Those neighbors have one foot of our land. We have one foot of the yard below us, and they have one foot of the yard below them.

Basically, we all have the right size lot except for the house on the corner -- and they aren't complaining. The rest of the neighbors simply decided to let things stand as they were, since the fences were 30 to 40 years old by then -- that was about 20 years ago.

However, ever since that survey everyone who lives in the house below us has been DETERMINED to have not only the foot they don't rightfully own on the one side of their yard, but also the additional foot from our yard -- along with several more feet of our land including the flower bed on the side of our house and the path to our backyard. They want to pour a concrete slab and park vehicles DIRECTLY under our bedroom window. That would not even leave enough space for firemen to get between the houses in case of emergency! There is NO WAY we will EVER agree to that.

The original owner's grandson went as far as telling us he intended to drop their HUGE spruce tree growing on the property line on their side of the fence. However, instead of dropping it in THEIR yard, they intended to drop it on the fence between our two houses into OUR yard -- taking out my vegetable, herb and flower beds in the process -- and doing who knows how much damage to our property. That is a HUGE tree standing right next to a huge pine tree in our yard!

DH told them if they wanted to drop their tree they could drop it on THEIR property not ours. That changed matters and the tree is still standing many years later.

The current owners had a double car garage and driveway -- as well as all the parking space in front of their house, but they insisted on parking their old car -- not at their own house -- but under OUR one and only front shade tree until their retirement -- which meant we never even had shade to wash our car in the summer heat. They always had at least one or two more vehicles than they had drivers in the house, but didn't want the old vehicle making THEIR house look tacky -- why not enjoy our shade and keep their car cool?

Their teens made so much noise in their driveway at night I can't imagine how bad it would have been with them parked directly under our bedroom window. Still, we put up with it like good neighbors.

They both worked for the city so had inside information and would move vehicles in front of our house on street cleaning days. That way the street in front of THEIR house always got cleaned but ours never did. Each week THEIR garbage cans are still placed in front of our house instead of their own. It is a constant, petty, childish land grab.

The husband suddenly died a couple years ago and his wife started hiring her yard work done. I soon overheard her yard guy tell her, "If I were you, I'd just take an ax and drop that thing!"

They were speaking of our shade tree which was planted MANY years before we moved in and is DEFINITELY on our property -- I've dug down to check the property line stake. Since it sometimes casts shade on their driveway they apparently claim ownership.

That was the tree they had no problem making such good use of all the years they insisted on parking their old car and it is now the spot where they have piled all their snow. That tree is the major obstacle blocking that concrete pad owners have lusted over for decades.

Even though she now has only one car in her double car garage, she is still laying claim to ALL of the property between our two houses. Yesterday's snow incident was the just the last straw for DH.

The street in front of their house is now entirely clear of snow and we're stuck with all the excess -- which won't melt for MANY months in our climate. Whoever plowed it had to drive up on our sidewalk to push it onto our property (DH saw the tire tracks) and they completely covered our sidewalk in the process, forcing DH to clean up that mess after he had already shoveled earlier in the day.

"Woe to those who join house to house ..." Isaiah 5:8 :rolleyes:

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  10. Gardencook

We just ventured to the grocery store for a senior discount day. I didn't attempt going out yesterday so didn't actually understand the full extent of what DH was describing. It now makes sense why he was disgusted enough to post on a public neighborhood forum about how inconsiderate the plow job was. This one takes the cake!

Since the neighbors still consider the space between our houses their property, that area is cleared so they still have a spot to put their trash cans. The person that cleared went many feet farther onto our property leaving us with a big pile of snow DIRECTLY in front of our living room window and absolutely NO place at all for ANY guests to park.

Since it is illegal to shovel snow from your sidewalk into the street, we have huge mountains of snow in our front yard -- the result of shoveling snow onto the lawn to clear the sidewalk. The same pile is strangely missing from the neighbor's front yard -- i.e. the snow from her sidewalk got piled in front of our house and onto our sidewalk, as well.

That truck with a front-end plow drove at least 10 to 12 feet down our sidewalk to do it -- and sidewalks crack and frost heave unbelievably easy in our climate. The neighbors across the street came out one morning several years ago to discover their driveway had heaved a foot overnight and they had to try and figure out how to get their car from the garage over that hump before spending thousands to replace the driveway.

Meanwhile, when we returned home, a friend of the neighbor's was pulling up to enjoy clear parking among the many freshly cleared spaces that now sit in front of the neighbor's home.

No wonder my husband got angry enough to post. Even then he had to answer snotty trolls who didn't read well enough and claimed it was simply city snow plows and nothing out of the ordinary. My husband has lived in Idaho all his life, we both shoveled our way through of the massive blizzards of the 80s and 90s -- years before the birth of one of the young gals who posted. "Welcome to Idaho. We have snow. Get used to it!"

She's been unusually quiet since another man scolded her saying he would also be angry and my husband posted his response to her comment ... :p

11. Gardencook

Here we go again! :mad:

My computer shut down without warning right while I was working on something at 5 a.m. this morning.

Started it up again this afternoon and so far it has shut down without warning THREE times in the past hour to hour and a half.

Each time it has claimed the computer overheated -- even when it shut down only a short while after I booted up.

Each time I've felt the computer and there was absolutely NO sign of overheating and the start-up photo showed up on the screen that always appears after Microsoft has been messing with my computer.

I've seen reports online that one of the "updates" several months ago caused computers to "overheat," however, after months of these messages I'm CONVINCED this is simply Microsoft's latest excuse for shutting you down outside the hours you specify.

After destroying our last computers with the "black screen of death" shutdowns, we can't help but be concerned.

I checked the "update" section under settings and Microsoft last "checked" for updates at 5 a.m. this morning -- exactly when my computer shut down without warning.

However, this time it admitted it IS downloading an update to my computer and so far the download is only 90 percent complete.

How many more shutdowns do I have to have without ANY warning before it is 100 percent complete?

We buy computers for WORK Microsoft! Perhaps we'd be more willing to "recommend" Microsoft to others (as you like to ask in pop up surveys) if you actually allowed us to CHOOSE a convenient time rather than rudely interrupting the very WORK we purchased the computer to do. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. Gardencook

And I'm back from my FIFTH shutdown without warning within the past 11 hours. I wasn't online at least seven or eight hours of that duration, so basically five shutdowns within THREE hours.

Now when I checked the "Updates" tab, instead of being 90 percent the new download is now ready to install whenever I want -- but if we complain to Microsoft the techs claim ignorance. None of those black screens supposedly had anything to do with the update they were downloading.

And after the past couple years of Microsoft malfunctions, it wonders why I'm TERRIFIED to download its updates voluntarily?

Sorry Microsoft, I'm too busy trying to go retrieve the work you made destroyed with your previous five shutdowns. :mad:

13. Gardencook

And here we have shut down number 6! :mad:

14. Gardencook

And Seven. Microsoft let me get some work done! :mad:

Update: Another half hour and an EIGHTH shutdown. Amazing how this all began when Microsoft ran a Check to make sure my computer was updated this morning -- followed by downloading another new update, isn't it? :mad:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  15. Gardencook

Next Update: So DH just got off the phone with Microsoft -- i.e. India or Pakistan.

The phone's auto-answer first informed him Microsoft was experiencing a longer than average wait time -- i.e. I'm not the only one whose computer Microsoft fouled up today.

The remote software kept disconnecting so DH had to try at least three routes and multiple attempts even to get connected to the technician.

The technician did inform him that Microsoft has been causing all my shutdowns today and that many others are having the same problems.

It also confirms our suspicions that all these black screens with notices my computer overheated -- when the computer wasn't slightly warm -- were indeed the latest bogus excuse so Microsoft didn't have to take responsibility to shutting down computers without notice.

Microsoft is now downloading who knows what onto my computer and that will take at least an hour -- not likely that soon considering past experience.

Once the new "whatever" has been downloaded we will not be able to install it on my computer by ourselves, but will be forced to call back Microsoft support so they can install it.

Nothing like wasting another full day of our lives without warning! :mad:

These blackout updates are EXACTLY how our last two computers were ruined. Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this.

Just thought I'd give people a heads up in case they start having problems.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  16. Gardencook

Well, five hours and three technicians later I seem to be back on the Internet and the new update seems to be installed. We'll see.

The technicians kept assuring us their fix would work and then told us "If you have any problems, simply call back."

Of course, there were ALWAYS problems and since we weren't the only ones having the very same problems, each time we had to call back the wait time to speak to a technician was even longer. :mad:

It is a real confidence builder when a technician tells you, "When your computer comes back, be sure to check the correct box or you will lose ALL your personal files." However, due to an accent barrier you haven't got a CLUE what box he is telling you to watch for -- even after you've asked him to repeat three or four times. :eek:

Then, of course, the computer NEVER came back, so we had to wait on pins and needles for another 30 to 45 minutes on hold to learn if the "update" had fried the hard drive.

In the end there were NO dialog boxes we had to check, so I don't know what that was all about.

While my computer was dead in the water, I did check the Internet on DH's computer and learned that the latest changes somehow took down Microsoft/Windows Search for several hours yesterday and there are a LOT of people having problems with the latest update.

With the last computer I came to the conclusion I was on some sort of a Microsoft Guinea Pig list where a group of us got the new updates before anyone else and then based on the mess they made of our computers they would create "bug fixes" before they released the updates to the rest of the Microsoft world.

After tonight, I'm even more suspicious. Sure wish I knew how to get OFF that list, because I certainly never volunteered for it!

I've honestly wondered if changing my name would help, but I suspect they'd figure it out based on our IP address and I really can't afford to legally change my name AND move to another state just so I can use the Internet! :confused:

17. jastwins

@Gardencook , that is so frustrating and I hate the fact that they just shut down your computer without warning. I have a bad habit of closing my computer but not logging off. However this does not allow updates to happen. Unless I completely turn of my computer, it does not allow any microsoft updates. Speaking of updates, I now see that there is an update on my i phone and I will let it update overnight and not during the daytime. Apple does give you the choice to allow the update to happen when it is convenient for you.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  18. Gardencook

The first technician last night claimed he "fixed" that @jastwins. He claimed "I" had turned off a switch that allowed me to get notifications. Don't know how I supposedly turned off a switch I didn't know existed and I would have been an idiot to turn off something I've been complaining about for several years, but he supposedly "fixed" it. Don't know how many times technicians told us that on our old computers.

As of 11:30 p.m. last night, we checked the settings and finally had no more updates that needed to be installed. I tried to get caught up on all I had missed during the nearly 18 hours my computer was worthless.

Then BOOM, 12:53 a.m. my computer shut down without warning again and took quite a few minutes supposedly installing another update. So much for the technician "fixing" it.

However, the update DID NOT install again and now I have ANOTHER update "Pending" and that is what caused the computer to shut down repeatedly without warning all day yesterday.

This is the very same nightmare I went through with the last computer!

19. Gardencook

We are staying in town today. That isn't normally something earthshaking and out of the ordinary, but today it is definitely something to be thankful for!

We live less than three hours from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, but generally don't go there in winter. We aren't skiers and it is sometimes tough enough to get there in late spring -- what most people consider early summer.

There are two main routes up there -- through the Teton Pass (shortest but VERY steep) and through Alpine, Wyoming (longer but not as steep). We generally take the Alpine route, because the pass can be treacherous. They've been closing the pass every night due to avalanche danger.

Last night, a local weatherman broke in with a special announcement that the Wyoming Department of Transportation had just closed the road from Alpine to Hoback Junction due to an avalanche. That was supposedly the "safe" route. We never heard if they closed both roads leaving motorists stranded South of Jackson or if they decided to risk leaving the pass open.

Then we awoke today to learn that they've closed the Interstate between Ontario, Oregon and Hermiston, Oregon due to the terrible flooding they are experiencing over there. A mudslide yesterday closed the rail lines and Union Pacific has no idea how long that will take to clear. The railroad runs directly beside the Interstate through the Columbia Gorge and the danger for mudslides and rock slides is extreme in winter.

If you've never been through that area it is a LONG stretch of road through the Blue Mountains -- our least favorite stretch between here and Washington. The East entrance to the Blues is outside Ontario and the West entrance is Pendleton/Hermiston. That's the road we traveled back and forth on six times last year -- including January/February when my mother was dying.

They've had to start evacuations in that area and have lost at least one bridge in Pendleton.

Just a couple weeks ago a car was crushed by huge boulders in a rock slide on an alternate (and very long) highway from Crater Lake to Idaho. We just took that road last summer when we finally got to see Crater Lake for the first time.

Considering that Utah Department of Transportation had to call out a record number of snow plows throughout the state the other day when the region got clobbered with snow, it is one of those days when I'm really grateful to have a warm, cozy home to curl up in!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  20. jastwins

@Gardencook I join you in your frustration of system updates and how they imperil my tablet and render it inoperable! Yesterday, I saw my Ipad blink and I was able to restart it and it was fine. Last night, it decided that it needed to go on vacation so my Ipad now has the gray screen of death. Online, some fixes tell me to keep restarting it and so far that has not worked.
    It may last a couple of days or a couple of weeks. My I-phone updated last night after this debacle and I never received a message that the ipad needed an update. The information on my ipad is backed up to my I-cloud but it just stinks that I will not be able to use the Ipad for a couple of days. Should have known I was due for a shutdown....it has been too long since the last shutdown. Just curious why this happens when there is an operating system update....makes me wonder how long this has been an issue and why. This refurbished ipad has served me well and I hope it resurrects itself someday soon.