Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Jasmine...I know I posted the red lentil soup for you a week or so ago, but my daughter send me a recipe from her Costco magazine, and I thought I'd pass it on to you too. The recipe calls for chicken and chicken broth. But, I left out the chicken, and used vegetable broth. Then I added some frozen peas for the last 15 minutes of cooking time. It was one of the best soups I've eaten in a long time! It uses coconut milk, so maybe you could eat it too.

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/202001/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=2&folio=92#pg95

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  2. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

It has been cold here for the past few weeks (remember, I live on a mountaintop) and while I like sleeping in a cold room, I want to get into a warm bed -- so don't turn on the heating in my bedroom but do turn on my electric sheet, and turn it off shortly after getting into bed.

I did that last night but several hours woke up, drenching wet. I first thought that I must have a fever but didn't feel ill -- and then I realized I had forgotten to turn off my electric sheet!

3. XUfan

I don't have an electric sheet, but I do turn the heat down in the house before I go to bed. One night last week, I woke up around 3:30, and thought my hot flashes were back. Nope. I forgot to turn the heat down. I'm so used to sleeping in a cold room, that I couldn't take the warmer temp.

On another note:

Would someone please remind me to just keep listening when my daughter talks, instead of trying to say anything. My comments on what she is talking about are never what she wants to hear. And any subject I bring up on my own is something I know absolutely nothing about...even if it's about people who live here in Ohio, that I see every day, and she never sees them at all since she lives in Texas. She never comes right out and says it...but she thinks I'm an idiot. I'm very sure of that. But then...how would I know, since I don't know anything else??

4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, can't say this has been the most thrilling day of my life, but it needed to be done. I finally waded through and got rid of my coupons that expired the end of 2019 and the first few days of this month.

One of our stores was accepting a few coupons that were expired last year, but never set down any rules. They've had a lot of turnover and I get the impression the new people haven't been told the same thing as the previous crew, so I'm not sure about the current rules. However, I still hated to get rid of them right on January 1.

Sales weren't great the first couple weeks of the year, so I didn't really need the old coupons anyway! :confused:

I've lived with two sisters who think the exact same thing about me my entire life @XUfan. :p If the two of them are together in a room you can't get a word in edgewise.

5. XUfan

Well, three letters sum up today for me...UTI. :mad: I got very little sleep last night because I was so uncomfortable. I have a doctor's appointment in a little while.

6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@XUfan I hope you feel better after getting some medication from the doctor.

I have the same issue when I speak to my mom. She completely monopolizes the conversation and I just say "uh huh, yes" .....never asks me how I doing and if she gets another call, she cuts me off. However mom and d2 have a special connection. They talk for an hour or 2 non stop. So if I know that d2 called her, I probably skip my call to her since she is all talked out.
    Today, I am still proctoring Regents tests (only given in NYS) and I have a game to chaperone later. Last night, I baked 36 cupcakes and a batch of brownies for my 10th grade class to sell for our last concession stand at the basketball game. I am also bringing soda I had home, water and the change for the concessions. As 10 th grade advisor, I am supposed to help these kids, but more of the 14 kids I have should participate. Some are busy, some are working but they went to a field trip yesterday (to NYC to an opera) and many of the kids did not sign up for today since they were busy yesterday. It is called MULTITASKING.... and they need to learn to do more than one thing in a day. I told them about this on Tuesday, more than enough time to ask their parents to pick up something. I will see what they bring in later.

7. Gardencook

Streaming the World Holocaust Forum 2020 from Jerusalem on JBS Television -- one of the HUGE advantages of having a Roku. We haven't got another channel that is streaming it in full.

Sherri1480, flowerkitty and jastwins like this.
  8. XUfan

Thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling better today, but I'm not 100%. I started antibiotics yesterday, and I'm resting as much as I can. I've had UTIs before, but this one is really kicking my butt!

Thanks too, for understanding about the conversations with my daughter. It doesn't matter if I call her, or she calls me, she immediately starts talking about something that's going on in her life (usually complaining), and she rarely asks how I am, or what's new with me. Last Spring, they got a dog, so she also spends a lot of time talking to him while she's on the phone with me. The other day, she kept saying, "What do you want?" I wanted to tell her that I wanted her to listen to me...but she was talking to her dog, not me!

As for your students...I totally understand how that can be frustrating. I deal with a lot of the same things with my stepdaughter. I'll ask her if she filled out an application (she's "looking for a new job"), and she'll say that she had to work that day. But, while she's working, she's posting on Instagram, texting everyone she knows, and chatting with her friend who works there too. But, she didn't have time to fill out an application for a job where she'll make a few dollars more an hour. It's mind-boggling!

It's supposed to rain all day here today. I recorded some game shows yesterday, so I'll watch them, and then spend the rest of the day reading. It sounds like a plan!

9. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

The kids did show up and brought some stuff to sell, but thank God I remembered to bring all the waters and soda I had at home. We sold out of almost everything. Luckily, it was our most successful concession sale and I will deposit the funds today.
    Carol, glad you are on the mend and finish that medication.
    Today, I have to clean my house and have no other plans for the weekend. After work, I will go to the post office and bank, and then head home. I need to clean out the fireplace and get a fire started to heat up my house using the free firewood we have. Now that the girls are back to school, I lowered the heat to 60 degrees in the house. Really do not mind it being cooler and since I had to work 2 nights this week, I was not home too much and did not feel cold. Crankie is coming out tomorrow and hopefully, we will get the last of the Christmas stuff on the landing put away in the attic.

10. Gardencook

JLTV had an announcement on Facebook this morning of a special showing of a documentary for Holocaust Remembrance Day. The film is titled "We Shall Not Die Now." We watched it earlier in the day, but it was on the living room set where we couldn't read the frequent text/factoids.

We plan to move into the bedroom and watch the rerun tonight, so we don't miss so much! VERY sobering, but very well done.

You can watch it online if you don't have a streaming device. We've got the channel on Roku. It will be starting in a little more than 20 minutes -- 8 p.m. Eastern Time and runs about two hours.

Sherri1480, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  11. Gardencook

Just watched "We Shall Not Die Now" for the second time -- and got to read the captions this time!

Well, worth a second watch. The video is also streaming on Amazon Prime and Vimeo on Demand and was just released to view free on the Timeline feed of Youtube today.
    We Shall Not Die Now (Holocaust Documentary) | Timeline

The filmmaker is only 19, but has done an excellent job of researching his topic as well as creating a professional production.

Sherri1480, jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.
  12. XUfan

Busy morning! I'm catching up on paperwork that's gotten behind, doing laundry, baking brownie bites, prepping veggies for tonight's dinner, coloring my hair, and trying to get an hour of reading in before I pick up my granddaughters from school at 2pm.

13. XUfan

:D:D:D
    I really miss the smiley that clapped!

I got everything done on my list already...except for the part where I sit down and read. I even had to bake a second batch of brownie bites, because the first ones were rocks! But, it's all done. So, it's time to read!! I'm on my 6th book this month (an unheard of pace for me!).

14. XUfan

Today should be a lot less hectic than yesterday. Hubby got home really late last night, and had to drive a big pickup truck with a trailer home from work last night, but there's not room in our driveway for it. So, he parked it in a lot up the road from us. I picked him up around 10:30, then took him back to the truck at 5am today.

Since I got so much done yesterday, I'm just easing into the day today. I have some paperwork to do, and one little load of laundry to do later. Besides that, I don't have any big plans for the day. It feels good not to have a big to-do list!

15. XUfan

Just got back from grocery shopping. I also stopped at the hardware store and the library. I forgot to stop at the ATM, so I'll have to do that later.

While I was out, I saw signs for an estate sale. I've gotten to know the woman holding the sale, from going to lots of her other sales. She said she's closing up early today because the new owners of the house are moving in tomorrow. So, she said for me to come back at 3 and fill a couple of boxes full of stuff, and she'll call it her donation to our JDRF garage sale. This is great! I'm always looking for more things to fill our shelves and tables, and it's so nice of her to just give it to us!

So, I'll keep busy for the next few hours, getting some odds and ends tied up around the house. Then I'll head over there and "shop" for some goodies!

16. Gardencook

Well, after spending a nice day shopping in another city, we arrived home to a "disturbing" phone message from a VERY stern woman -- i.e. recording. It seems a group of officers are on the way to arrest us for "Social Security Identification Fraud!" :eek:

So if you don't hear from me again, you'll know they've hauled us away ...

Gotta say this was a new take on phone scams we hadn't heard before. :rolleyes:

The fact that some poor gullible people will fall for it is what makes us fume! :mad:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  17. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

I have a new train in the train forum taking sign ups until the middle of next week. Please consider signing up. :D

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  18. Gardencook

Tonight was the annual International Students Cultural Night at the University. Got to enjoy a delicious buffet meal and students performing dances/music from their native countries. The most active groups were Nepal, India, Africa and Ireland. We also enjoyed some Native American dancers, which I'd never really considered "International," however, they were talented so I'm glad they added to the evening.

We've always wanted to go in the past, but would find out on the evening news AFTER the event was over. I thought I had the right university groups liked on Facebook, but had still missed the correct one for this event so we barely found out about it in time.

However, now I have the correct group for this event liked so perhaps we'll finally get advance notice in future years -- at least I hope so. Facebook can be a bit flaky about notifications and usually want us to hit "concerts" while bar hopping on Friday night instead of the University events we enjoy attending.

However, I get a weekly schedule by e-mail from the University each Sunday and tonight's event wasn't even listed on that!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  19. Fillies Fan

Quick, @Gardencook, hop on @flowerkitty's train and get out of town before the Social Security Police nab you!

Sherri1480, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  20. Fillies Fan

Having just gotten over a week-long virus, I hopped into my car on this rainy day and drove to a supermarket to pick up some hot dogs, Coke, cognac, and a chocolate mousse cake. All of these will be devoured tonight.

Yes, health is important but it takes second place next to a more crucial American tradition: Munching your way through watching the SuperBowl!