Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

@XUfan, I don't want to leave you with the impression that attacks on Northern Israel (Galilee and Golan) are part of our routine life. In fact, the last such attack was 13 years ago -- and resulted in a war which lasted 34 days.

That said, Israelis are well-aware of the possibility that we could be attacked at any time and most of us know what to do in such a case. Marina was still living in Russia at the time of that war and has no idea of what to expect.

2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I was pretty sure that it was more a case of knowing what to do, it actually being a routine part of life. I'm glad I was right!

At dinner last night, my 8 year-old granddaughter was telling us about the active shooter drill they had at school yesterday. She described in detail, exactly what they are supposed to do...and there were 3 options, depending on the situation. Her older sister, who is in high school, told us exactly how she was trained to escape the building if she needs to.

While I'm comforted, knowing that they are making the kids aware of what to do, I'm so sad that they have to even think about something like that.

Sherri1480, Cathy, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Aren't the precautions we have to live with a sad commentary on the world in which we live?

@Fillies Fan has to prepare for attacks sane people pray will never happen.

Countless children around the world like @XUfan 's have to be scared out of their wits preparing for madmen.

DH was an emergency preparedness officer where he -- an office worker -- was trained to attack intruders, because submitting is no longer considered a realistic option.

So often I remember my childhood when we were taught policemen were our friends and if frightened we should knock on the door of the nearest home so an adult could help us. Now if you give a child that advice you worry the person in a uniform might not be a police officer or the person behind the door might not be the caring adult we used to assume.

DH spent quite a long time on the phone with our credit union yesterday. We've been getting a lot of scam calls again and generally don't answer if we don't recognize the caller, however, when the caller ID said our credit union was calling we couldn't ignore the call.

When DH picked up the phone there was a long pause and then the recorded voice of a woman said "Good-bye" like we often get on scam calls.

DH tried calling back the number which rang and rang, but there was no answer. By then we were convinced it had been a scam that "ghosted" our credit union's name on the caller ID, so he called the local credit union with the number in hand to alert them.

They checked our account and there had been no unusual activity on our account and no one there had called us. They also checked the phone number and it didn't belong to the credit union.

So he was turned over to the security department which gathered details to try and keep an innocent customer gets duped, but the scam outfit will just steal another number on the next call.

Our credit card got hacked in the end of September necessitating us getting new cards.

Then DH has been fighting with the car rental company that promised over and over again that we would be reimbursed $200 for the tire that blew on our third rental car on our last trip. It won't cough up the money, just as we feared. In addition to that, it has TWICE placed an additional unauthorized charge on our credit card!

The local rental desk caught it the first time and removed the charge when we returned the car, but when DH challenged the second unauthorized charge, he had to get ANOTHER credit card to replace the new one that had just been issued!

In addition to ignoring our initial request forms for the money, the CEO of the rental company completely ignored DH's follow-up letter. He's planning to send another by registered mail today.

Just think of how much all of us could accomplish in a day were we not so busy trying to protect ourselves from those determined to destroy us. :mad:

4. Fillies Fan

Not only sane people. I also pray those attacks will never happen.

5. XUfan

Yesterday evening my grandson surprised me with a visit. He lives a little more than 2 hours north of here, so it was a big surprise! He brought his new girlfriend with him, because he wanted us all to meet her. He stopped at our house first...before he went to either of his parents' houses. She seems very nice, and he seems genuinely happy. As always, it was great to see him. He just turned 20 on Tuesday.

Today I'm going to get the grocery shopping out of the way. We're supposed to get a couple of days of rain later this week, so I thought today would be perfect. I'd much rather be in the house when it's raining, than pushing a shopping cart through a parking lot!

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  6. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

I work in a school and we do have lock down drills at least twice a year. Where I live is a small safe community but I don't ever doubt for one minute that something can happen here. The problem is that the person committing any crime would have a tough time escaping our island since they would shut down the ferries if there was such an emergency. We now have locks on the front doors during school hours and need ID from anyone that visits our building. However, after school is over, the doors are allowed to be open for a couple of hours for sports practice or games (also play practice). So, it makes me wonder how safe we are?
    Once another school I worked in had a lock down in the middle of the day. It seems a guy robbed a bank in town and rode off on his bicycle. They never caught him, so it must have been a local person!!!! who hid in his garage. LOL

7. Gardencook

School is another world from when we attended @jastwins.

The junior high where I attended is now a high school. It has a nice track and field -- which was there when I attended.

Of course, the field was in use during physical education classes during those years, but it wasn't in constant use and we used to look out the window from our classes and often saw people from the neighborhood walking around the track for exercise when there wasn't a class using the field. We didn't think anything of it. Someone might as well enjoy it when it wasn't in use.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized how much things had changed. Apparently, the security officer at the school has a very busy job keeping people off the track during the day. I prefer walking on sidewalks and enjoying scenery rather than getting my shoes covered in cinders on a track, so it had never occurred to me that there might be a problem.

I realized you now have to go through security and get a pass to be IN a school during school hours, however, even when there are no students in sight is now illegal for the general public to walk around school tracks during school hours. Since the track was outside, it had never crossed my mind that someone might be violating the law using an empty track during school hours. I just don't have a criminal mind, I guess, but in this day and age it does make sense. :(

We live in a rather sheltered area here. We've had lock downs at one of our high schools a couple different years. Around spring, it seems adolescent moose begin looking for someone their own age to hang out with. At least two different years they've had to lock down the high school because there was a "moose on the loose" on school grounds!

That is the sort of lock down I WISH was the only worry at every high school in the nation!

8. jastwins

Attached to our school gym is a fitness center and some Island residents use this location for physical therapy during morning hours. If anyone enters our playground or uses the walking track during our recess times, we have to tell them politely to leave and that they are not allowed on grounds at specific times. Some people think it is a playground but while it is allowed to be used after school, only students can use it during school hours. To compensate, there is a smaller playground across the street from our school that can be used at any time.
    If there is a loose dog in the area we have to call our police department. Usually they know whose dog it is and they drive them back home to their owner. We have an animal control officer that can handle this too. Once a beautiful, well groomed pit bull with a collar was on my property when I came home from work. He was shy, did not want a biscuit and was not aggressive. I did not want my Rosie to be outside with this new dog and did not know who owned it. My neighbor helped me get a leash on him and we called the cops who arrived in 3 mins. The dog was so happy to see the police officer and jumped into the patrol car. The happy canine lived just 4 blocks away! Sometimes the owner took him to work (he was a landscaper) and that day he did not. Guess the dog was bored and decided to look for its owner.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  9. XUfan

We are supposed to be experiencing some very high winds and wind gusts today, into tomorrow morning. For that reason, I had planned to just stay home all day and start some deep cleaning in a few rooms that need it.

But, my littlest granddaughter texted me last night, on her mom's phone, and gave me her basketball schedule. And...the season starts today! :D I'm excited!! Now that my grandson's baseball career is over, I was getting a little sad, thinking that that I was done going to sporting events.

It's at the rec center, and it's 1st and 2nd graders, so it's not going to be high caliber basketball (although I'm sure there will be a parent or two who thinks it is! LOL!), but it's going to be fun!

10. XUfan

The basketball game was a lot of fun yesterday. Emery had a great time, and actually scored three times! She wears a small "fanny pack" that holds her Dexcom receiver. Right before the game started, her assistant coach (who hadn't met her yet) told her to take it off before she went on the court. She told him, "It's ok. I want people to know about diabetes." He didn't know what to say! LOL! She's a tough one!

We had some very high winds blow through here last night, and we lost power around 10pm. Luckily, it was back on before midnight. I'm sure there are people around here who are still waiting for power, so I can't complain.

Hubby is working today. I'm hoping to spend the early part of the day on housework, then relax with a book this afternoon.

11. Gardencook

We went to see a movie on discount Tuesday again this afternoon. Two weeks in a row. This is getting to be a habit! We had a gift card for which we got bonus fuel points, so only about $1 OOP for the both of us.

Last week we saw the new version of Little Women. I debated going to it, because I was afraid they'd change too many things just to make it a different story. However, aside from a few minor details there weren't that many changes and although I didn't know if it could be done, it was a new take on the classic story.

Think I've seen just about every version of the story as well as reading the book when I was a child, however, DH has never shown much interest. Since the new movie's story is told in flashbacks, with Jo remembering the past -- not in date order -- DH got pretty confused, but he did admit it was a good story once I explained the timeline after we got home. Perhaps if he'd paid attention to one of the chronological ones in the past he might have understood what was going on! ;)

Of course, since he sat through my movie last week I got to sit through a war movie this week -- "1917" -- rated "R" for violence and language.

It was definitely intense. Think I kind of came away with a touch of PTSD. I'm still kind of numb, but it was worth watching.

Just wish we hadn't been forced to sit through all the awful horror movie trailers beforehand. I decided when I was a young child that horror movies and I DID NOT mix, yet they force you to watch trailers for the things when you go to an historical war movie. :mad:

We didn't dare go later, because last week Google had the time right, but the local movie theater had the showings wrong. We figured the theater knew more than Google and ended up getting to the theater an hour early!

It was really pleasant last week. Apparently since Little Women was rated "PG" they weren't allowed to show all the garbage trailers they show at "PG-13" and "R" rated movies. Instead they were showing us trailers for movies that won't arrive until next autumn and winter! o_O

Your story about the dogs on your island reminded me of a neighbor dog we had at a house we rented before we bought this [email protected] . The family across the street (parents and two small children) had a sweet Cocker Spaniel who was always either in his fenced back yard or in the house. He never ran around loose.

The mother had always been home during the day, but she decided to take a part time job and apparently the dog just couldn't handle it.

He figured out how to climb the fence and suddenly I'd frequently see him running down the street. Apparently, he was determined to go find her, because it only happened when she was at work.

Thankfully he'd always come when I called him. Then I'd leave a note on their door letting them know they could find him at our house. I tried putting him back in his yard the first few times, but that didn't work, he'd just climb the fence and run again. :p

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  12. XUfan

Gardencook...as I was reading your post, I tried to think of the last movie that we went to see. Not counting "Wonderpark" which we saw at the kickoff event for JDRF last Spring, I think it was "A Walk in the Woods". I just looked it up, and saw the date on IMDB is 2015. I'm pretty sure it's the prices that keep us from going, since my husband really loves movies. But, he also loves movie theater popcorn, which is even more expensive! One theater near us has cheap movies ($6 I think) on Wed, but he works that day, and sometimes isn't even home until after 7.

Today I will be chatting on the phone with my sister. We schedule a call every month, and talk for 3-4 hours...sometimes longer! I can't wait to catch up!

13. Gardencook

Thankfully, we've got some pretty decent options for cheap movies around here @XUfan. That's the only reason we can go so often.

First off, we have a second run movie theater where we can get $2 movies on Tuesdays. The problem with it is that you have to wait about the longest of any theaters and Redbox sometimes even gets them sooner. You just get the advantage of seeing the movie on the big screen, however, you're taking a chance if you wait on a movie because it might not ever show up there.

We used to go there for just about all our movies to support a local business, but they've decided their bread and butter comes from films for children. Just about all the rest are the weird ones that don't interest us.

The university also has second run films the general public can attend. In addition, there is a film society which focuses on a a lot of independent films that sometimes don't make it to the regular theaters. Those films are shown at the university on days the regular university movies don't run. The film society generally only has one or two films a year that interest us, but it is the only chance we have to see some of them. We have alumni cards so can get in for $1 or $2 each for university/film society movies.

Then our regular theater has been offering $5 discount Tuesday movies. We just learned about those several months ago when we went to a World War I documentary that was showing one day only all across the nation. They talked us into joining the movie club even though we didn't figure we'd get much use from it. After we signed up they told us about the discount days.

I have a rewards program that doesn't offer thrilling gift cards, but I've been cashing out for movie cards and we've been getting free Tuesday movies. It has become our "regular" theater due to cost.

Another option we've been considering is another theater chain in the city an hour away. I've got a couple free movie passes for that theater which we should use one of these days, however, we usually only go there when DH has a meeting and then timing becomes an issue.

It has been bringing back remastered old movies to the big screen on anniversaries of their release. Last year they ran "Gone with the Wind" for the 70th anniversary. Unfortunately, we didn't find out about it until AFTER it was over.

This month they are running "American in Paris." They wouldn't tell us how much it cost without me signing up for their club, so I finally did. That was when we learned it was $12.50 and our free passes wouldn't work on the old movies. :(

And of course, now that I signed up they sent me a coupon for free popcorn, which would team nicely with the free movie passes. However, there is still the cost of gas to get there -- if there was a movie that interested us and the free popcorn coupon only lasts for a week.

About the only place we ever buy movie theater popcorn is at the film society movies. It is actually quite reasonable there it makes a BIG deal out of the fact it uses REAL butter on its popcorn. (Regular university films use the same fake stuff all the theaters do. :p) We still hardly ever buy it.

Our regular theater has been offering some sort of a "limited time offer" on huge buckets of popcorn. I think people pay about $30 for a plastic bucket and then they can refill it for about $5 each time they view a movie for the rest of the year. That was still too pricey for our blood, but it seems like EVERYONE has a bucket when we go there, so I guess some people think it was a deal.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  14. Fillies Fan

I haven't gone to the movies in years as the closest cinema in about a 90 minute drive from my house.

Today, I had a good laugh. Marina's 3-year-old daughter (Olga) has been going to a pre-school daycare center for the past few months and, as the other children there speak Hebrew, she has begun to pick it up.

I drove to Marina's house in the morning, picked up her and Olga, and we did some shopping before going to breakfast. Marina carried all the bags to my car while Olga and I sat in the restaurant.

I asked Olga (in Hebrew) "Where is your mother?" and Olga replied, "She went to our car". I asked, "Don't you mean my car?" and she gave me an indignant look and said, "It is OUR car". :D

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  15. jastwins

Please say a prayer for the students and families of D2’s school, College of the Holy Cross. One out of 2 vans carrying the rowing team was involved in a serious traffic accident in Florida and one sophomore girl did not survive.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  16. Gardencook

Oh no @jastwins! That's terrible news!

We will be praying for them.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  17. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

So tragic ... prayers for them all ...

Sherri1480, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  18. Gardencook

Last night we went to a concert out of town. It was a New York City trio who sang harmony on "Michael Buble'" music. It was some of his songs, Frank Sinatra tunes and a few Doo Wop tunes.

Facebook notified me of the concert a little more than a week ago and we figured at $10 a ticket we couldn't lose.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  19. Gardencook

The third week in a row we hit Discount Tuesday at the movie theater. We used a gift card I'd earned through a rewards program so it only cost us 60 cents in sales tax OOP.

Today we saw "Just Mercy" -- another powerful movie that was worth seeing. However, after this week I think we're "movied-out" for a while. There isn't anything on the schedule that interests us or we haven't now seen for next week.

Just wish three movies hadn't come out all at once. It would be nicer to see one a month instead of going months without seeing anything and then suddenly seeing them every week.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  20. XUfan

My Hubby was off work for 4 days, and went back to work yesterday. So, I spent yesterday catching up on housework (which I avoid when he's home, just because I like spending the time with him instead of doing my usual tasks). Also, since it was Tuesday, I had all of the prep to do for our Tuesday Night Family dinner. Everyone stayed after dinner and we played board games. So, it was a productive day...and a fun evening!

Today I'm concentrating on paperwork. I have to contact the gas company, because it's time to renew our contract. I normally renew for a year, but I heard that this year they'll be offering a 3-year contract with even lower rates. Fingers crossed!

I dug through the "I'll deal with this later" box this morning. I filed the things that needed to be filed, tossed a lot of random receipts and junk mail, and now I have a small stack of things to clear up.

Now that Christmas is over, I can change my focus to the annual JDRF garage sale this coming May. Ever since June, I've been filling totes with random items that I've decided we don't need anymore. My son's family has been doing the same, and they've gotten a few other families to do it too. I ordered new sheets of price stickers from Amazon last week. I'm trying to find a good deal on a couple of folding tables, so I don't have to beg and borrow them this year.

Now that we're at the "4 months to go" stage of garage sale planning, I'm going to work on the email I'll be sending out to relatives and friends. Besides asking them to think of us when they're Spring cleaning (just save us a box of goodies you were going to throw out!), We always have a gift card raffle at the sale, so I'll also be asking them about donating a gift card for one of the prizes. This is a great option for the relatives who live out of state...or just don't want to part with their treasured items! LOL!! Last year, we raffled off 8 different cards.

Besides all of that, I've got about 10 things on my housework to-do list, and then I hope to read for a couple of hours before Hubby comes home.

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.