Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

@jastwins ...What an awful mess! Sorry to hear about the mess. I hope you are able to get everything dried out soon. I was thinking that you were lucky that you were home when it happened & were able to deal with it promptly. I am glad it did not happen while you were away or on a holiday when you were hosting guests. Sometimes a good cry can make you feel better.

2. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I may have said this before, but Israelis are slobs. Not only are we slobs, but we are proud to be slobs. In summer (which is most of the year) we dress in shorts and t-shirts. In winter, they are replaced by crumbled jeans and un-pressed shirts.

For over 20 years, I traveled to either the States or Europe. I went to my closet each year, tried on the clothes I had bought the year before, and found that I had gained so much weight that they no longer fit. Of course, this meant I had to buy new ones.

This year, I lost 62 pounds. That meant that my oldest clothes fit me (the newer ones are too large). As I knew that Marina would not be working on Thursday, I invited her to lunch -- and told her to wear the nicest clothes she had. I dressed in a Ralph Lauren suit I had bought in Manhattan. I also wore a cashmere vest I bought in Switzerland.

(When I walked to my car, my neighbors stared at me as if I were naked.)

Marina did, indeed, dress in her nicest clothes but having moved here directly from Russia, she had never seen anyone as well-dressed as I was and didn't know what to say other than "Why?"

She found out why when we got to the restaurant. It was about 15 kilometers from her house, extremely fancy (and sky-high expensive). Her big problem was that she had never heard of anything on the menu.

I advised her to have pate de fois gras as an appetizer and to follow it with filet mignon and have a chocolate souffle for dessert. Still having an appetite problem, I settled for a much smaller meal. After the meal, she asked to see the check and almost went into a state of shock -- it was roughly the same as what she earned in three days.

On the drive back, I told her that we were going to Damascus (despite being close it is impossible for us to get there as it is in Syria). Still, I got on the road which, if the border were open, would bring us to Damascus. She had no idea of what I was doing until I made a right turn and we wound up in my (and her) favorite chocolate shop.

The owner, alas, told us that he was going out of business on Saturday. This meant it would be our last chance to get these chocolates. I told her to get as much as she and her family would like, picked up 13 large bars of varied chocolates for my daughter, and after dropping Marina off, headed home.

My kibbutz has a gourmet winery and was making a Hanukkah offer to members -- a full carton (12 bottles) for 480 shekels ($138), which is roughly half-price. I bought a carton and will be taking it to my daughter tomorrow, when she is hosting a Hanukkah party for her (and her SO's) extended families. I will also be bringing 36 sufganiyot (special doughnuts available only during the holiday period).

Unfortunately, I very much doubt that I will be able to eat more than one of them -- and will be restricting myself to a half-glass of wine as I will be driving home a few hours later to watch the Eagles game.

Even worse, I have a doctor's appointment at 8:30 in the morning, and the drive to my daughter's house takes me past both his office and where I will be getting the doughnuts. It would be silly of me to return home after my appointment and start the drive later in the day, so I will go straight from the doctor. This means I will probably arrive at my daughter's house around 11 am -- six hours before the party begins.

She lives about 15 minutes away from Northern Israel's largest (and most expensive) shopping mall. My daughter has assured me that I will not be bored during those six hours as I will be taking both her and her SO's 11-year-old daughter shopping for clothes and Hanukkah presents.

3. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Fillies Fan, how did you loose so much weight? Was it from your illness? Have a wonderful party!

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  4. Fillies Fan

I lost 18 pounds from depression in the week after my ex's sudden death. The remainder is the result of my operations.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  5. Cathy

That's a hard way to do it...sorry!

Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  6. Fillies Fan

I got to my daughter's house around 11 yesterday morning. She was busy working on her computer and told me that she will not be able to go shopping but my son will be there soon and he can go to the mall with me.

He gave me a wonderful surprise by letting me pay for a pair of sport shoes. I am not being sarcastic -- he very rarely allows me to buy anything for him (grown-man pride) and I consider the ability to do so as a very special treat.

While we were in the mall, I spotted a shop that had a window full of various Disney Funko Pop figures (toys? dolls? I don't know what to call them).

I called my daughter and asked her how many children between the ages of 3 and 13 will be at the party. She told me eight, so I got one for each child. I let her SO's daughter decide who will get which figure, thus turning her into a Hanukkah Santa Clausette.

The children were thrilled, as they (and the adults) were by the varied flavored and designs of the 36 doughnuts. (Actually, 35 as I ate one of them before any guests arrived.)

It was late at night by the time I arrived home, which was perfect as the Eagles-Cowboys game started at 11:25 pm (Israel time) and I was able to watch it live -- and cheered the Eagles on to victory!

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  7. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Fillies Fan Happy Hanukkah
    And to all At HCW I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!
    The best gift I can have is that my parents are coming out for Christmas. I am thankful that my brother is bringing them out to my house.

8. Cathy

I hope everyone on this site has a lovely Holiday season. I will be going to my children's town for the next two days and plan to have a super time.

9. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to everyone here!

We had our celebration on Saturday, so it seems odd to see people still rushing around today, trying to get everything done.

My husband had to work today, so I'm spending the day trying to learn how to use the Amazon Fire Stick that my son bought us for Christmas! (Any Netflix or Hulu or IMBDtv recommendations are welcome!)

Tomorrow a few of us are gathering at my husband's sister's house for lunch. Then, we might meet up with his brother and his wife for drinks at TGIFriday (who knew they were open on Christmas???).

10. jastwins

The fire stick needs a connection to wi f i
    Know your cable password
    D3 set it up....I could not have done it.
    I love the Marvelous Ms.Maisel. Colorful language sometimes but well acted & funny.

Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  11. XUfan

Jastwins, my son set it all up on Saturday. He is letting us use his Netflix and Hulu accounts. It's been fun finding things to watch that I haven't already seen.

Sherri1480, Cathy, Jorainna and 2 others like this.
  12. XUfan

My first instinct this morning was to take down all of the decorations. Our Christmas was 5 days ago, so it seems like it's time to take them down.

Instead, I made a list of about 20 little things that need to be done around the house, now that my time isn't being used to shop, cook, and prepare for Christmas. I'm going to see if I can get all of them done today and tomorrow (adding to the list as I see more little things that bug me!).

Then, I think the decorations will come down on Saturday...or maybe Sunday. I like to do it when nobody else is at home, so that I can organize what goes into each tote, instead of just stuffing it all in until the tote is full!

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  13. XUfan

Yesterday I didn't leave the house all day, but I got a lot done. My sister came over for a visit in the morning. She had been the victim of an almost-carjacking on Friday. She's pretty beat up, but somehow she's still hanging in there!

After she went home, I worked on laundry, and took down all of the decorations from Christmas. It took me more than 3 hours to take it all down, box it up, and put everything back where it should be.

This morning I had an acupuncture appointment. Now that I'm home, I made a list of things I want to get done. I think there are 10 things on the list. Most are paperwork items, but some are the organizing tasks. If I keep at it, I can get it all done, and the day will go by quickly!

Jorainna, Cathy, bugweena and 4 others like this.
  14. jastwins

Very sorry to hear that your sister was the victim of a crime, @XUfan How frightening! You just never know when someone will snap and make a desperate choice. Thank God your sister is alive.

15. annie41

annie41 Active Member Trader Group

@XUfan and @jastwins intermittent fasting is great for resetting metabolism and for giving the body a rest. Gone are the days of grazing. We arent meant to eat 24 hours per day. Unless one has a true metabolic hypoglycemia or diabetes we dont need to be stuffing food in our faces all day long. Figure out how many calories you need for the day to achieve the weight that you are comfortable with and get them in fduring a certain window of time. Fasting gives the bosy a break. Meditation also helps as well as only eating when you are truly hungry. I am now off my soap box. LOL!

16. XUfan

I spent a lot of time going over finances yesterday. I need to make some changes...soon. We're not in the bad spot we were in a few years ago, but we need to get some spending under control.

One thing that surprised me was how many coupons had expired before I used them. Normally, that wouldn't bother me, but 90% of them were coupons that I had paid for! So, I spent money...then didn't buy the products, so the coupons went unused. That's worse than buying the product without a coupon! So, for the time being, I won't be trading cash for coupons, so I can see if it makes a difference.

I've identified some other areas where we need to cut back. I'm going to make an appointment with our insurance agent, and see if we can get our rates down a bit. And we're making some other changes.

17. jastwins

@XUfan , I am in the same boat. The holidays put a strain on my finances for sure. When you host all the holidays, it adds up! Even being a 2 income household, we spent a lot of money on food, gifts and drinks.
    Couponing is not what it once was. So many coupons expire before I can use them and after cleaning out my stash yesterday, I can honestly say there was not much left. It has gotten to the point where I do not even cut out every q since I know it will probably not get used. Today, I will be printing out some gcs at school and hope that the printer is working since mine is not. Add that to the list of things I need to purchase.
    I am happy to be back at school and will chaperone 2 games this week. Every little bit helps.

18. XUfan

Hubby was off for 4 days, and went back to work this morning. Yesterday we took a good look at the monthly bills, and found a way to save $40, so that's a start! Today I'm going to cancel our newspaper delivery. It's $45/month. I can drop it to "digital only" $20, and pick up the Sunday paper at the Dollar store every week. I'm also going to call our insurance agent, and see if I can set up an appointment to talk to him about lowering our car insurance rates.

Besides that, I have a couple of errands to run this morning after I sweep the floors and run the vac. Then I'll pick up both granddaughters from school this afternoon. We might stop at the library on our way home, if they brought their books to return. Then we'll get dinner ready for when my their parents and my Hubby get home from work. Hopefully, we'll have time for a board game after!

19. Fillies Fan

Yesterday, I took Marina and her two daughters to a restaurant in the Golan Heights for lunch. In the middle of our meal, her cellphone beeped and she received a message with a link to a Russian newspaper article saying that Iranian proxy militias have attacked the Galilee and the Golan.

She had never been in Israel during a war and started to panic. I told her that:

1. The Golan is such a small area that if there had been even one explosion we would have heard it.

2. If there had been such an attack, every resident of the Galilee and the Golan would have received an SMS with instructions on what to do.

3. The air raid sirens would have been blasted all over both areas. Every soldier (including reservists) in the country would have gotten an SMS from the Army telling him if he needs to report to his unit.

4. We wouldn't be able to have the conversation because the noise from the Israeli fighter jets above us would have drowned us out.

At that point, she accepted that the Russian newspaper was wrong and we were free to finish our meals without running to bomb shelters.

Sherri1480, mtka, jastwins and 2 others like this.
  20. XUfan

FF...I have typed and re-typed my response to your last post. I can't seem to put into words how I felt when I read that. As I go through my ordinary days, I don't realize what is "normal" for me, isn't the same on the other side of the world. Just the fact that you are so aware of what would happen in the event of a real attack, makes me see how different our worlds are.

Keep praying for this world we all live in.