Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Jasmine, lots of prayers are being said for you and your family. Hang in there.

2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Dad had a decent night and would love to go home. No cause on why his blood sugar plummeted to 34 and would not stay up without medicine.
    Mom called 911 Friday morning at 3 am. when he would not respond to Her.
    Oddly, I woke at 3:30 Friday morning and could not get back to sleep. I live 130 miles from my parents. Initially they thought he had a stroke but he did not. He is being treated for an infection and 2 cat scans have not turned up anything. My sister stayed overnight in the hospital with dad. I will stay with him overnight tonight and will head back home Monday evening.
    Keeping fingers crossed that he continues to improve and will come home soon. Thank you all for your prayers, kind words and support.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  3. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

My husband had similar drops in his blood sugar but he came back with flying colors...think positive dear!

4. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Continued prayers @jastwins for you, your dad and family. Hope he keeps on improving ...

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We went to see the movie "Midway" this afternoon. Thought the nearly $10 we had left on a gift card would cover most of it on Discount Tuesday, however, it turned out to be on the HUGE digital screen so there was a $2.50 per ticket up-charge.

In the end it was worth the extra cost, however, since the special effects made the movie nail-bitingly realistic -- and the extra volume tended to drown out the people who can't seem to stay silent throughout a movie these days. :rolleyes:

Historically, the movie put a few things in perspective which I'd never quite pieced together before.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  6. XUfan

On Tuesday morning, I got an email from the PO, showing 9 things coming in the mail. Four of them were from traders here. Also, two packages were scheduled to be delivered...one from Amazon, and the other from Armed Forces Gear.

Our mail never arrives until after 5 or 6, so I knew it would be in the evening. Because it's dark at 6, we go across the road and get our mail in the morning. On Tuesday evening, I got an email saying that there was a "delivery exception" and could not be delivered (both packages), and that they were being held at the PO "at the customer's request". What??? I'm the customer! I didn't request that!

So, on Wednesday morning I went to the PO and showed them the email on my phone. The clerk (Mr. I don't care) would not look at the phone, and rolled his eyes at my story. He took my ID, and went to the back. When he came back 5 minutes later, he handed me my ID, and said, "They're not back there." Like that was the end of it. I then asked him if he could check the tracking numbers. He heaved a heavy sigh, and told me I had to read them to him. So, I did. He went back to the back, and found one of the packages. He then said, "The other isn't here." So I said, "That's not an acceptable end to this. What do we do now?" He handed me a piece of paper and said for me to fill it out, and someone would call me about the package within 2 days.

On the way home, I checked our mailbox, and found out that NOTHING was delivered. The people at our PO never answer the phone, so I didn't even try calling. I just waited for them to deliver Wednesday's mail, hoping my mail and package were in it. So, when they delivered at 6:15, I trudged through the snow, and opened the mailbox. Everything was there! All of Tuesday's mail, Wednesday's mail, and the package! Yay!!!

So, if you sent me an envelope full of coupons, and wondered why you haven't heard from me until today, that's the reason!

7. jastwins

@XUfan, I understand your frustration. I have detailed the problems we have had on my little island and have been told, with a tracking number stating otherwise, that my package was not there or told to lie to the sender and get a refund. Things have improved slightly but just for the heck of it, i ask them to check for a package and there sometimes is one. Well thanks for not leaving the little yellow card in my box!

Last night we attended a basketball game at d3's college on Long Island. D3's school was playing the team from D1's upstate college and D2's ex-boyfriend (a great young man from my island that I love dearly and am friends with his mom & dad) is the basketball team captain. Complicated, right? Not really!
    There were about 30 people from my island on hand to cheer him and his team. This included his former coach, current basketball players and friends & fans like me! We had a wonderful time and sorry to say that the ex-beau's team lost by 3 points. L0ts of bad ref calls and lots of fouls.
    The cheerleaders from d3's school were selling fundraiser $10 raffle 50/50 tickets and imagine my surprise when 2 of my current students/basketball players won $2,000!
    They announced the winner on Instagram! Times have changed!

8. Gardencook

Wind was REALLY howling last night, so I guess the weather predictions were right. :( We're supposed to have snow this week, definitely before Thanksgiving.

The storm is obviously moving in and I had a splitting headache yesterday with the change in barometric pressure which confirmed the storm BEFORE the wind kicked up.

Glad we aren't traveling this year, but at least we can be thankful it isn't as bad as it was the first several years after I moved here ... yet.

My first year in this town the train was still running and we took it to Boise for Thanksgiving. It was already 10 or 12 below zero with quite a bit of snow on the ground when we left the car at DH's work parking lot. It was a COLD walk the few blocks to the train depot!!! :eek:

DH suggested we take a drive this afternoon before the snow moves in, we just haven't figured out where to go. We still have some fuel rewards to use by the end of the month and depending on how much snow we get, may not want to drive much after its arrival.

9. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Go anywhere except to Florida. It is much too dangerous there. Apparently there is some maniac, who the newspapers are calling "Florida Man", risking everyone's life.

A new article about him appears almost daily:

"Florida Man Arrested in Girlfriend's Murder".

"Florida Man Arrested for Having Sex with Stuffed 'Olaf' Doll at Target".

"Florida Man Spit Food into Woman's Mouth During Road Rage Incident".

10. Gardencook

Good advice to avoid "Florida Man" @Fillies Fan! :p

We ended up staying a lot closer to home and visited a little hot springs resort town about half an hour away. We had a nice dinner and then drove home.

This morning, the Interstate about 90 miles from our home was closed for quite a while.

[​IMG]
    Two hours away traffic both directions is still closed both ways after multiple accidents and isn't expected to re-open any time soon.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, our weather is beautiful, the roads are dry, temperatures are above freezing, no hint of snow and when we look out our windows we don't have a clue what is going on just south of here.

CRAZY weather! :confused:

11. Gardencook

Just got an e-mail from a Brazilian Grill inviting us for Thanksgiving and couldn't help but get a chuckle out of a funny typo.

They are offering: "Baked Turkey - Fried Turkey - Grilled Turkey, All-You-Can-Eat Center-Cut Sirloin - Mashed Potatoes w/Turkey Gravy, Seasoned Stuff - Candied Yams ... "

Apparently they don't know what their "stuff" is, but at least we can rest assured it is seasoned! ;) :D

12. Gardencook

13. XUfan

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It's a very quiet day here at my house. Hubby is still asleep. He'll cook breakfast for the two of us when he gets up. We plan to catch up on some recorded shows, and eat some snacks throughout the day. Then, dinner will be steak and salmon on the grill.

It's just the two of us. My son is working half the day, then he and his family always go to his in-laws for Thanksgiving. My daughter lives 1000 miles away, in Texas (and is planning the same type of day for herself and her husband). Although my stepdaughter lives nearby, she's in a new relationship, so she's going to his family's house for the festivities.

I actually like the quietness of the day. It's like having a day off when everyone else is working their tails off!

14. jastwins

My girls are home and my MIL did come out and is staying the weekend. I cooked all the sides today and Crankie is picking up the turkey..
    My mom will be at the rehab home with dad and my sister will join her, bu5 she has to work later. Really missing my parents and sister today,.

15. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I spent today doing Christmas shopping for Marina's family. I went to a supermarket in a nearby Arab town and filled up two large shopping bags with various Christmas-themed goodies.

I also bought a wallet and put eight 100 shekel notes (roughly $230) in it and then brought everything to Marina's house. As the two bags were very heavy, and I have not yet fully recuperated from my recent surgery, I asked for help in carrying them up to her third floor apartment.

Marina and her 11-year-old daughter came down to my car and were thrilled when they saw what was in the bags. I put a damper on her daughter's enthusiasm by telling her that everything in the bags was for her mother, father, and 3-year-old sister. I said I would explain later why she can't have any of it.

When we got to her house, I told her that her mother, father, and sister are all Christians (technically this is not true) and only they get to celebrate Christmas. I said that because she is Jewish, she has to celebrate Hanukkah instead. I then asked her how many days there are in Hanukkah and when she told me "eight", I handed her the wallet, with 100 shekels for each of those eight days.

Needless to say, she felt she came out far ahead on the deal.

Then, to finish off the day, I started a Christmas RAOK with a $106.24 GC as the prize -- so why are you wasting time reading this post when you could be busy trying to win the GC?

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Cathy like this.
  16. jastwins

God Bless your generous heart, @Fillies Fan. You always prove that it is better to give than to receive.

I had a busy weekend with my girls, having people over and getting D2 back to school. We take 2 ferries each way and drive an hour, but with a winter storm approaching, I tried to get back as early as I could. You would think that being on the stand-by ferry line 4 hours before your boat leaves might be enough time but not when they cancel two boats before yours!!! In the end, I waited and prayed and cried at one point, but when they cancelled the 8:45 pm boat (my scheduled trip) I was the last person on the line and there were 15 people ahead of me. WE all made it onto the last ferry
    (7 pm) from New London to Orient Point NY and the trip took over 2 hours (rough seas) instead of 1 hour 20 minutes. AND I had to pay an additional $19.95 because I had booked a discount fair. :mad:
    But I was happy to get home after catching my second ferry and walked in the door at 10:05 pm. At least Rosie was happy to see me!

17. Gardencook

We're beginning to get complexes ...

Apparently, whenever things get a little quiet, Microsoft seems to think that means we're bored.

The "black screen of death" started hitting my computer really hard again yesterday. Even though I shut down my computer the proper way the previous evening, I woke up to a message yesterday that the computer had been forced to shut down when the CPU overheated again -- something that DID NOT happen. That seems to be the excuse Microsoft uses to shut down my computer for updates -- without admitting that it is actually doing updates. :mad:

When I get the message I'll feel the bottom of the computer and there isn't the slightest hint that the computer was overheating.

Until now it has only been on rare occasions, but it still did it as often as three times while updates were underway. Throughout the day yesterday, the computer went to black screen SIX different times!

DH noticed they seemed to be working in the background on his computer, as well.

This morning he woke up to a "new" experience. His Facebook page had suddenly converted to Portuguese without him touching it. Since his Facebook settings were all in Portuguese -- which neither of us happens to speak -- he was unable to find the proper setting to get it back to English.

He finally had to resort to Google Translate to get himself out of that fix.

While all of that excitement was going on, I tried to make a print-out and the preview for a page which appeared normal size on my text document showed up HUGE and only a small fraction of the upper left hand corner was showing.

When it wouldn't print, I discovered my computer was no longer on "speaking terms" with the printer and the disagreement between the two was NOT easily settled. Took another 45 minutes of fussing and we were finally forced to reinstall the software AGAIN. That is at least the third time in recent weeks that has happened -- all too "coincidentally" in the midst of updates.

Hate to get paranoid, but weird glitches like this that accompany updates are EXACTLY how our last computers were ruined. :(

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  18. Gardencook

So ...

DH changed the password on his Facebook account just in case it had been hacked. He got a couple e-mail notifications that his password had been changed -- both in Portuguese. o_O

He mentioned it on his Facebook page and asked if anyone else had ever had a similar experience. An acquaintance wrote him saying she had a friend in Finland and the language on her page changed from Finnish to Spanish the very same morning DH's language changed from English to Portuguese.

Some sort of a weird Facebook glitch? :confused:

19. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

What am I doing? Shivering!! Wind chill is about 5 below...

20. jastwins

I agree, @Gardencook that the latest microsoft updates are annoying. Now my computer keeps getting an Amazon order tracking tab popping up each time a open a new tab. It did not do this before the update and I will try to figure out how to stop it. My computer updated when I shut it off and I am sorry I did. It runs slower than it did before and that is not great when shopping online. Since it is my school computer, I cannot complain too much about my personal info. and the school software runs well.
    Even the Ios update on my phone is causing me angst, but I will let it go since I will probably get a new phone this weekend. All my info is backed up to the cloud and I hope all my pics are safe.
    @Cathy, I hope you warm up soon. It is raining here and they say we may be close to 60 degrees tomorrow, with a 30 degree drop on Wednesday plus some snow in the morning hours. Crazy weather for sure.