Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@Gardencook, glad you are back home safe and sound. It seems like the rental companies are not doing such a good job on the upkeep of their fleet. If you just keep renting out the cars without maintaining them, it shows how greedy they are. To have that many issues on one trip is dangerous and scary.
    We rarely rent cars and the last time I did was in Michigan for my nephew's wedding 6 years ago. I believe I used Budget since they offered the best deal at the time and I wanted a small car. The price was a great online deal. Of course, you never get what you book so they informed us we were getting an upgrade and paying for it. It was a $5 difference and when I complained, the lady would not budge. We were given a brand new car, the kind where you do not put the key in the ignition. It took us 10 minutes to figure out that you had to step on the brake and push a button to start the vehicle, all the while sweltering in the 95 degree August heat.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

The last several years we've rented, the vehicles have all been push buttons @jastwins. It seems like that is all the rental companies have any longer. The first time we got one several years ago, DH tried everything and then finally had to go back in the place and ask how to start the thing. lol!

This time it took him a while, but he finally remembered how to do it without asking.

However, now that we're back to our regular car he keeps trying to push the non-existent button on ours instead of sticking the key in the ignition.

Yesterday, leaving Big Lots we heard a funny sound. (After what we've been through we're terrified of EVERY sound we hear and there are LOTS of them right now due to all the ice falling off vehicles.) He stopped the car and we both began looking madly everywhere. I finally realized he'd forgotten to take off the emergency brake. The brake was in a different spot on the rentals. ;)

The thing that worried DH the most this time was that we were only given one "key." He was always afraid he'd lock it in the car. It wouldn't have been as big a problem with the first one, since it had a combination lock on the door and the code to get in was in the glove box. We both had that written down for emergencies.

However, once we lost that car the Dodges we were driving were REALLY scaled down models -- no CD players, no GPS, very few electronics and definitely no combination on the door. Broken buttons and weird tire sizes convinced us we aren't interested in looking at Dodge when we next buy a vehicle. :p

At Enterprise they gave you two keys, but they were hooked together by a small cable. They told us we could cut the cable so we each had a key, but then didn't like it when we returned them that way.

We kind of liked the Nissan Murano we rented from Enterprise last year, but it was a little awkward for DH to see around. The Rogue we rented the previous year was a little too small for hauling.

This year I was thinking maybe we needed to look at Lincoln next time we bought a car, however, when we learned how difficult it was to locate tires for the thing and then I looked on the Internet and discovered 2019 was the last year Lincoln was making the MKT, I kind of changed my mind again.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. jastwins

My 2018 Chevy Traverse is a great riding car and I love it. Lots of room for moving the kids back and forth from college. It has AWD and 4Wd. It has the push button start and it is "jastwins proof."...will not let me lock the keys in the car! It beeps and unlocks the doors!! I have many stories from years ago of locking the keys in the cars trying to do too many things. Chevy improved the design of this vehicle and it is a winner. Also, the Blazer was redesigned but I have not read any reviews.
    Speaking of 2 keys, i need to find my second Dodge Caravan key in case of a lock out. Not sure where it is, but I am hoping it is in the house. I love this van and the roominess of the car. It is 10 years old so I do not take it on long trips anymore. Crankie has to replace the battery terminal since the screw was stripped....I had a dream last week that the van would not start and that afternoon it happened. Quick fix and it should be back to running fine this weekend after Crankie has the parts.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  4. Gardencook

I've seen a commercial for the new Blazer redesign, but haven't gotten close enough to see if I'd like it yet. Our current SUV is an older Blazer.

We like the vehicle, but after a multitude of Cadillacs and now the Blazer, I've concluded I CANNOT stand GM seat belts. Every time I shift in my seat they tighten up and before you know it the seat belt is choking me.

We're still holding our breath on the Blazer transmission. We had one bad transmission after another on our Cadillacs and one time the brand new transmission we had installed in Rapid City, South Dakota came from the factory defective and we had to have a new one installed when we got back home -- that was after the car dealer had pulled out another transmission when we bought the car used and the one it installed was also defective.

We were convinced at the time GM no longer knew how to make a transmission and didn't plan to buy another GM. However, our used Blazer was really the only car which met our needs in our price range so we took another chance.

No problems with the transmission so far, but we still can't help but wonder ...

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  5. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Maybe it's the time change. I don't know. But I've had so much extra energy today! I've gotten a lot of little things accomplished, that have been waiting in the, "I'll get to it someday" pile. I walked 2 miles at the indoor track (something I've started doing lately), and then came home and cleaned my house...and did 3 loads of laundry.

I've gotten bad about not picking up the mail from the mailbox, which is across the road. I seem to only go over there every few days. Today, it was FULL! One thing that struck me as odd was a catalog from Amazon. So many companies are not printing catalogs anymore, because we can find everything on their websites. But I now have a toy catalog from Amazon. I'm still shaking my head!

Sherri1480, Jorainna, Cathy and 3 others like this.
  6. XUfan

My plans for today include:
    -laundry
    -meal planning for the week
    -acupuncture appointment
    -2 miles of walking
    -at least an hour of reading
    -catch up on a few emails
    -stop at the thrift store and (hopefully) find some long sleeved tops for this winter!

7. Gardencook

We fought Internet problems all day yesterday. Seems to be the phone company this time. UGH! Hope we soon get enough culprits eliminated to FINALLY have working computers again.

Meanwhile, I couldn't get on to post. We went to a film society movie yesterday at the University. "All is True" a period drama about the last days of Shakespeare showed there last week while we were gone, but they had technical difficulties.

They offered one more showing yesterday to make up for the difficulties, so we got to see it.

Dropped by Firehouse Subs for a combined late lunch/dinner before the movie.

I've noticed the same thing with our Kroger grocery/department store @XUfan. We got a toy catalog the other day, even though we've never gotten one in the past.

I for one am getting REALLY frustrated by the trend toward all the other stores trying to "keep up" with Amazon. Our one Kroger store won't allow me to see prices/stock at our local store unless I sign in to our account any longer. It used to be SO handy to pop on to the site and check what the store sold since it is so small it doesn't stock a lot of things.

For several weeks the site kept insisting I wanted to order groceries for delivery to Casper, Wyoming -- nearly 500 miles away. Now it is determined we live in Boise. Seems you can't just drop by the grocery store and pick up what you need any longer, instead you need to "order" it. :mad:

Meanwhile, our local stores quit selling most Vitamin C last month -- VERY frustrating when we needed some! Yesterday, I got a notice that they have 40,000 varieties of supplements available to order online. I don't want to order online, I want to go to the store and buy things!

It is all about doing away with local stores/cutting labor costs these days. :(

8. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

When I have that problem with my provider, I use my cell phone and set both it and my computer to allow bluetooth connection. Have you tried this?

9. Gardencook

We don't actually use a cell phone for Internet at home @ Fillies Fan. I bought one with such plans a couple months ago, but got stuck on the start-up and we've had so many problems the past couple months we haven't had time to get past them and get the phone running.

Microsoft fouled up our computers for a while with an update back in September. The conference call software DH must have for work did updates at EXACTLY the same time and then no one could hear him with a microphone.

We bought a new one an hour away since we don't have Best Buy here and the local stores that haven't been closed didn't have any. It didn't work any better and we had to stop at Best Buy in Utah on our trip. That tech finally concluded we got a defective microphone and had us exchange it.

After that everything worked fine in hotels on our trip -- even though hotels are notorious for slow Internet. Now we're back home and are having problems again, so that points the finger directly at the phone company -- our Internet provider.

DH was on the phone with their techs REPEATEDLY yesterday, but they would get the Internet to work for only one or two minutes -- while he was on the phone with them. Then it would quit working again.

Now they've concluded we need a new modem, which is what I suspected they'd say when he started calling them yesterday. However, he's been on hold for an hour and a half now with a recording telling him "Your call is very important to us." If it is so important, why don't they answer their phone? :mad:

The charge on that phone has nearly run out while he's been waiting, so he just grabbed the phone by my chair as a back-up.

My husband hasn't been able to get on the Internet at ALL today and he needs to respond to an e-mail from one of his editors. I'm able to use it a little, but at least five times out of six I get a message that the site won't load.

We never could get the printer to work using wireless yesterday and it didn't even want to work when we connected the cable, so I hope that hasn't gone on the fritz, as well.

I hope I'm able to post this after I've written it. My previous posts sometimes took two or three attempts, but I never could make a correction to my last post using the "edit" button.

Our major problems seemed to start when Century Link went down for a full day nationwide last summer and then went down for several hours right after that.

The fact that they've got so many customers needing to purchase modems right now that they can't answer their phones, makes us suspicious that Century Link did SOMETHING -- who knows what? -- to a large number for customers in order to force them all to buy new modems.

We've honestly been trying to figure out if there would be a better option in Internet providers for us, because this is getting downright ridiculous.

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  10. Gardencook

DH still doesn't have Internet, but I can use it for about five minutes or less every half hour to one hour -- as long as I shut down my computer in between.

He finally got through to the phone company. Just as I suspected they had a new promotion going. They tried to force us into paying more for Internet along with a satellite TV package.

He didn't bite, but our new modem is supposed to be arriving on Wednesday. Last time they promised us delivery that quickly, they hadn't even mailed the modem by the time we sat around waiting for it all day.

11. XUfan

Walked 2 miles this morning at the rec center. Now, I'm spending the rest of the day with my granddaughters. They didn't have school today, since their town uses the schools for polling places.

12. Gardencook

We went to the movies yesterday afternoon. They are only $5 a ticket on Tuesday, so we've been treating ourselves to a few. Yesterday we saw "Harriet" about Harriet Tubman.

Still can't get in the Internet for more than a few minutes during the day. Doing a little better in the middle of the night.

Phone company claimed the modem should arrive today. We're pretty doubtful, but it would be nice if it showed up on time.

13. XUfan

I started out today with high hopes of getting a lot done. For some reason, I lack the motivation to do anything. :confused:

14. Gardencook

No modem delivered today -- which isn't surprising -- however, it also means most of the time I can't get on here to post. I get small windows of about two to five minutes where the Internet will work before it can no longer reach any sites.

One of these days we hope to get to the bottom of the problems.

15. XUfan

During my "slacker day" yesterday, turned on the TV late in the afternoon. That's when saw today's weather report, and found out that I should have been running errands that day, instead of waiting until today. We're supposed to have rain this morning, turning to snow later. So, I left for the grocery store at 7am, when Hubby left for work. I'm back from there, and still have a couple of errands to run, but I might wait until this weekend to do them. I'm also trying to decide whether to go over to the rec center and walk this morning. I'll check the radar and make a decision soon.

16. Gardencook

I think we finally have Internet again ... we'll see.

The modem arrived yesterday afternoon although I think the UPS driver was tiptoeing onto the porch to deliver it. I barely heard him and no doorbell again.

We seem to be able to reach websites on a regular basis now. DH was finally able to get the printer to communicate with my computer again and it took some doing but he was finally able to get our Roku going.

Let's hope that is FINALLY the solution to the problem. It gets a bit ridiculous when everything goes on the fritz at once and you have to work your way down a checklist -- spending money each and every step -- before you can finally take care of the major culprit.

Can't help but be a bit suspicious when after nearly a week with spotty Internet it "suddenly" started working again the day the modem arrived -- before DH hooked up the new one. o_O

17. XUfan

Got a text from my grandson yesterday that he was coming home from college for the weekend. I'm sure it's because his dad's birthday is Sunday, but I told him he's not allowed in town if he doesn't visit me! So, he stopped by here before he went to see his parents! :D If he had told me a couple of days earlier, I would have made cookies (his favorite!). I know it's silly, but seeing that kid (yes, he'll always be a kid to me!) makes my day!

18. jastwins

I am at the hospital in my parents hometown visiting my dad who was taken there yesterday. He is stable now and any prayers are welcome.

19. Gardencook

Hope all goes well for your father @jastwins! We will be praying for him!

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  20. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

Sorry to hear about your father Jastwins......I hope things improve soon..

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.