Whatcha Doing?

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by jastwins, Feb 24, 2019.

1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

@mtka, I miss it too. It may have been lost in the clean up, but we can just start a new one. Thanks for the suggestion and even though we are busy, it is good to take a break and post here. So, check in from time to time, everyone and let us know "whatcha doing'

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. jastwins

I am home on a rainy Sunday and plan to read my papers, cut coupons, make dinner and watch the fashion preview for the Oscars and some of the show tonight.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Sherri1480, Jorainna and Cathy like this.
  3. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well we stayed home today because of the flooding and windy conditions. Our big lake surpassed it's record level late last night and the dam is spewing more water than it ever has. Our small road bridge flooded last night and our driveway was under, but it receded pretty quickly. Really wanted to go sight seeing, but were advised against. So many people looking at the lake levels that traffic is congested and with the winds and wet grounds, trees are falling. At least it's sunny for the first time in many days.

4. mtka

Monday we packed up 2 dogs and went down to visit the lake which is at record levels. We went down to the Island that you can usually drive around and down to the boat ramp. The road that leads to the island is under water. Many people were parking on the highway and walking down to the water, it is a sight to see. They lowered the lake for years to fix the dam. That part of the lake was bone dry, now it's over the road. Heard there was a long line to visit the dam and Falls, so didn't go there.

Yesterday, a friend and I went to the State Capital. We went with a political group and heard from some elected officials and had a very nice tour of the building. We went 2 years ago and toured the Governor's Mansion but I have never really toured the Capitol Building. It's full of marble and granite and is a sight to see. They just don't build them like that anymore. I can say it's not very handicap accessible though. My friend uses a cane and there are steps just for the heck of it. It was beautiful though.

Making the most of the warm sunny day today. It's supposed to be near 60 degrees. Then for the weekend, snow and high's around freezing for days. I want some SPRING!!!

Sherri1480, pretzel18, Cathy and 2 others like this.
  5. jastwins

I am in the pre K for the afternoon. It is nap time and let's just say they are not cooperating! LOL

6. pretzel18

pretzel18 Active Member Trader Group

Cleaning out the closets today, and putting a lot of stuff in boxes and bags for our church's rummage sale in April :)

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  7. jastwins

Woke up to a snow covered landscape, but not enough to delay school. Luckily, it is only a mile away, so I will be cleaning off the car soon and heading to work.

8. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Easy drive into work as the traffic was light due to no school today ... teachers are protesting ...

Sherri1480 likes this.
  9. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, I spent an "exciting" and very long time on hold last night -- waiting to speak to a customer service rep with Albertsons/Safeway. Thought we made it through our recent trip without our Albertsons account getting fouled up AGAIN, but I guess I was mistaken.

Although it did seem like the corporation was working on its website, so I honestly suspect that had more to do with the problems than our trip. They've now got a new -- much less user friendly website. I'm trying to tell myself sometimes you just have to roll with the changes, but my Albertsons shopping list used to only take one page to print and last night I couldn't opt out of the product photos like I normally do so it took FOUR pages! UGH!

We entered our Monopoly game codes the previous night, so perhaps that could have been the problem, as well.

Albertsons wonders why sales are down, but it seems like that store does everything to alienate me when I try to shop there.

Sunday, Albertsons knew where I lived, what chain I shopped at and our local store was listed as our "favorite" location at the top of the page. However, after the Monopoly codes were entered the site INSISTED I lived in Meridian, Idaho (a Boise suburb) and WOULD NOT allow me to change my location back to where we actually live.

I know from past bad experiences, that Boise stores get much better prices on groceries. When Albertsons thinks I live in Boise, it sends me great looking coupons only to yank them away from me and tell me I can't have them when I log in to load them for use at our local store. Then I just feel cheated and generally don't shop the store at all that week. Who wants to pay 50 cents to a dollar more for frozen pizza after being promised a much better price on a special e-mail coupon?

Last night, I got into my account to look at the new weekly ad and the site insisted I shopped at an Albertsons store in Boise. It wouldn't allow me to look at the ad until I chose a store, however, the only options given me were a Boise Albertsons store or a "Safeway" store at the correct address for our Albertsons store locally.

We don't have a Safeway store! Safeway pulled out of here about 25 or 30 years ago! I remember when they deserted us.

Which do you choose in that situation? We don't get the same prices as the Boise Albertsons stores and we don't get anything close to the same ad as Safeway?

That left me calling customer service to ask how in the world to straighten out that mess! And according to the website, I'm going to be asked the same question EACH and EVERY time I now log into my Just4U account.

The fellow finally had me choose the Albertsons in Boise since at least it was the right chain. From there, I had to go to the Albertsons site and change my location to our local store. Apparently, the Albertsons site knows that our store is still an Albertsons and NOT a Safeway, even if the Just4U site doesn't.

Can they make things more complicated? :confused:

Kroger has such a smooth system.

I can shop at any Kroger store in the nation -- no matter the store name. My Kroger digital coupons work at each of those stores without problems as long as I present a card from another Kroger store and when I get back home again Kroger still understands that I prefer to shop at the stores near our home instead of driving two or three states away to get our weekly groceries. Is that so difficult to understand? :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Sherri1480, Cathy, mtka and 2 others like this.
  10. jastwins

On my second ferry ride of the day and heading to Ct. Once we dock, I will drive an hour to D2 ‘s school in MA. We will grab a bite to eat and head home tonight.

Sherri1480, Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  11. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I posted...probably about 6 or 8 weeks. I haven't had much time to post, and when I have the time, I just haven't felt like it. This has not been my favorite year so far.

Soon after 2019 began, my husband's younger brother was admitted to the VA hospital with Stage 4 lung cancer. It has spread to his bones, and we're all dealing with the fact that he'll never be able to go home. My husband goes to work every day, then stops at the hospital to visit until 8 or 9pm. Three other brothers and a sister all live nearby, and they all visit frequently, sometimes sharing rides there. So our schedule at home has changed drastically, as have our priorities. He's actually off work this week, and the trip we had talked about over Christmas was postponed. It's strange to think now, how in December we thought Hubby's job was stressing him out and he needed to relax and unwind...and that was before all of this started!

Tossed in with all of this...just over the past few weeks:

-Our teenage granddaughter started receiving explicit, threatening texts from an unknown person, who we can only assume is a stalker.

-One of our nephews was the victim of an internet scam, where he lost more money than he makes in 6 months.

-My debit card from our credit union was identified as one that was compromised in a recent data breach.

-My sister-in-law's identity was stolen.

-Another relative, who is very close to us, is in the beginnings of what can only be a very ugly custody battle.

-And, over the weekend, a student at the high school my grandkids attend attempted to take his own life. He is on life support, but there's not much hope. My granddaughter was good friends with him, and my grandson has played baseball with him since they were 10 (my grandson is a senior this year).

...and those are just the big things I can think of off the top of my head! That list doesn't begin to include the minor health issues, my granddaughter's struggles with diabetes, and my son's deep financial issues, among other things.

I look every day for "happy places" where I don't have to think about the (pardon my language) $hit storm that is surrounding us right now. Right now, it's extremely cold outside, but I'm focusing on how sunny it is!

So, that's why I haven't had the time...or the desire...to post here. I hope to be back soon. If you've sent me PM's, they're probably still unread. I'm sorry. I'll try to get to them soon.

12. jastwins

@XUfan, I am so sorry you are going through such a rough time. I have been thinking about you , esp in the last couple of weeks. Please know that I am keeping you and your family in my prayers daily. A wise woman once told me you cannot control what has happened, you can only control your reaction to the situation. You are handling it as best as you can. Take care of yourself and do what you are able to do in a day.

Thank you for the heads up about internet scams and how these people steal money and never get caught. It amazes me how many emails I get that I know are spam, but ask for money and identifying info. You have to be on guard and if you use your info online, double check that the place you are buying from is secure. Always check your bank accounts for unusual activity.
    The identity theft should be reported to the police if they have not already done so. There can be repercussions from this years down the road. Your SIL should alert her bank and credit cards and sign up for Lifelock if she is able . She should change her passwords and close any affected accounts.

Thank you for posting @XUfan We are here if ever you need us.

13. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

I'm so sorry to hear of this sad situation XuFan...it must be terribly sad for you right now. I hope some of these situations clear up. Prayers...

14. busyasabeecrg

busyasabeecrg °ʅ︵ʃ° Member of the (°‿°) Month 11/2010 - (▬) - Trader Group

@XUfan ...I am so sorry for all you are dealing with now. @jastwins message is pretty much what I was going to say and so spot on! I agree and empathize that this year is not starting out good. My brother passed away 1/3 and I just keep hearing from relatives, friends and co-workers that their husbands/wives/relatives have cancer or died unexpectedly from strokes/heart attacks. Statistically speaking, winter and particularly January has the most deaths. Fortunately spring is right around the corner! Please take care of yourself.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  15. jastwins

I am now the Spanish teacher for the month of March. Ay caramba, I took 5 years of FRENCH! So, these poor kids are stuck with me and my not so great pronunciation of Spanish.

@XUfan , I was deeply troubled to read about the person stalking and texting your granddaughter. If her parents have not already done so, document everything!! Print out the texts and keep a record of dates and times. A co-worker had this happen to her daughter and it started with texts. They found out who it was and it was a girl from her own class. School officials tried to stay out of it, but my friend pursued this and eventually went to the authorities. The girl was mentally ill and my friend's intervention finally got her some help. However, in the time leading up to this, her daughter suffered with physical and mental abuse from the girl A very scary situation that could have been handled better but somtimes you have to be your own best advocate.

Keeping you in my prayers.

16. pretzel18

pretzel18 Active Member Trader Group

XU Fan - so sorry to read your post.....I hope you find strength in your family, friends, and faith to get you through this tough time.

Jorainna, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  17. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Long story short, this is what happened. My son and his family had come to my house on a Saturday in Feb to celebrate Dec and Jan birthdays. When my granddaughter walked in the house, she was in the best mood! Her gym teacher had seen how good she was at volleyball, and was setting up a meeting with the coach, so she could try out for the team. And, although she's a sophomore, an autistic boy who is a senior, and a friend of hers, had asked her to Prom. It was a good evening! Just before they were about to go home, she was checking her Snap Chat, and someone was telling her that they wanted pictures of her (unclothed), or else they would kidnap her at school on Monday. She was shaking so hard, and couldn't stop crying. My DIL (her stepmom) stepped in and said, "I don't care if it's 11pm and we have church at 8 tomorrow, we're stopping at the police station on the way home!" They did, and a report was filed. The officer copied everything that was on her phone, and sent copies of it to the resource officer at their high school. We haven't heard anything more from that person, and hope we never will!

I don't have any other news about any of the other issues. But, we're hanging in there! My husband's family has been through a lot, and they're a strong group, so I have them to lean on. Also, my faith has gotten me through many hard times. It will get us through all of this!

18. mtka

Still cold here so I am trying to find new NBPR rebates. Posted some in the forum, so if you live in a NBPR state, check them out.

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  19. jastwins

@XUfan, so glad her parents addressed it right away. It is the against the law to bully anyone in school and the officer acted correctly by alerting the school. Too many kids are afraid and do not report these threats. So sad that this happened but I am glad the correct parties were informed.

20. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

@XUfan ... I am so sorry all of this is coming at you ... but "this too shall pass", and hopefully as we go into spring it will all fall behind you with just them memory of winter. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

Oh ... we must have the same Credit Union ... :(

Sherri1480 likes this.