Whatcha doin'?!?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Green is Gold, Dec 22, 2014.

1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

My sister had that surgery too - probably about the same time but she gained it all back and then some. It sounds like absolute MISERY.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, I'm gonna get out my pom-poms and cheer about what @3timesoccermom said. With that, I understand all too much how hard, if not downright impossible, it is to speak to an elder, especially a mother with something like that, no matter how respectful you say it. Family dynamics are set in quicksand, not stone. Depends on how religious your family is/was, how you were raised. All that sets the stage for the rest of your life. I'm finally only now working out a lot of that in my life. And, how, you may ask, do you do it? I moved 800 miles away and don't phone home.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  3. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

I fully agree that it can be difficult for some but daughters are human beings with feelings too and what is the point of a mother saying something like that more than one time? I grew up with a mean mom who wished she didn't even have kids - and she let us know at every opportunity - and it took me a very, very long time to do it but at age 40 I finally started standing up for myself. If we don't who the hell will? And don't we want to TEACH our daughters to not let others tread on them? How will they learn if we let people do it to us?

Sherri1480 likes this.
  4. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Renee, I admire you for standing up to yourself. I'm almost 60, and I rarely do it. Oh, I'll stand up for myself if I think I'm right about a topic, or if a cashier gives me grief about a coupon. But if someone says something about me...I fold!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  5. XUfan

Today I plan to do some serious cleaning! When I said this to Hubby this morning, he got a puzzled look on his face. You see...to everyone else, my house looks clean. But, I know the things that haven't been done lately (top of the fridge, living room blinds, under the stove, etc.). Other than that, I want to see if I can get my hair cut this morning.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  6. vickib50

Under the stove? And mess with the delicate ecosystem?!

Sherri1480, Cathy and NoHio like this.
  7. XUfan

LOL! I know!

I'm sitting here at the desk in the family room, and I can see 50 other things that I think need to be addressed. Maybe I need to take this thing one room at a time!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  8. vickib50

Another beautiful day on tap here in Paradise. Outside right now, feeding the mosquitoes.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  9. XUfan

I started out the morning with a 30 minute exercise routine. Then I spent the rest of the morning with my DIL and my granddaughters. We played some board games, then went to the library for story time. They would have stayed longer, but they had to go pick up my grandson and take him to the place where he works out for baseball.

Now, I have to run up to Kroger and pick up a prescription, buy a card to send to my sister (cataract surgery), and see if anything looks good in the produce department.

After that, I have a little bit of housework and dinner prep to do, and I want to get in another 30 minutes of exercise. At some point today, I hope Hubby calls and checks in. I know he wants to get his hair cut after work, but I really, really want to go to our grandson's baseball game. His team is playing is cousins' team (yes...I punctuated that correctly. They're twins), and that's always fun to watch. But, I really want Hubby to go too, so I might sit this one out, since I don't think he'd have time for a haircut before the game.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  10. JenDwane

JenDwane New Member

I am on my break, at work

Sherri1480 likes this.
  11. vickib50

At a friend's house today, sitting on the lanai and working on my computer. Sun is shining. Called away for a short time on a minor emergency. Left my computer, wireless mouse, and digital camera on the table, well under the roof. Was gone about 15 minutes. Came back and found that the "widely scattered showers" had been right THERE! My electronics were swimming. It would be nice to do some research before buying a new laptop, but, I had no computer to do the research. A nice young man at Target sold me a laptop today. Easiest sale he will make all week.

12. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

In my dorm room at d2 s college, exhausted with the AC blasting. Long day and I have been up since 4:30 am. This college is all hills and steps. It could kill me! Speaking of rain, so glad I took 2 free rain ponchos the college had for us. The heavens opened up here too @vickib50 and we were drenched from the knees down. Off to sleep now.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  13. XUfan

Vicki, I can only imagine the feeling you had when you saw all of your electronics floating! Glad you were able to get a new one quickly, though!

Jasmine, what are you going to do with all of your "extra" time when you're done with college visits? LOL!

My DIL and my granddaughters are coming to visit again today. Our plans (decided yesterday by the girls): Play Yahtzee, bake cookies (the little one can have 2, if we incorporate it into her lunch), have lunch, and then go to see a play that the library is sponsoring at a local church. It's written and directed by kids from a theater group near here, and they're acting in it as well. It should be fun!

14. vickib50

And, did I mention my coupon binder was riding alongside? The coupons themselves are in plastic sleeves, but, the binder and the rest, uh, imagine 3-week old celery in the produce drawer.

15. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Vicki, I am sorry your electronics did not survive the rain storm. We had heavy downpours at the college and the kids had to stay in a church on the campus because of thunder and lightning. I hope today is better weather wise. My tours were mostly indoors until the evening when the monsoon hit. We looked like wet rats on our way to meet the top Jesuits priests who run the college. The rain poncho at least helped to protect my iPad and phone in my purse.

@XUfan, one orientation down and one to go. D1's is next week and it is 3 days long. I am going to visit my parents after I drop off D1. No way will I hang out at a college for 3 days when I have to pack for Croatia. I am helping my mom get things ready for our trip July 1st. Let's throw graduation in the middle of all this( the 24th).

So, if I ever have any free time:p, I would love to sit on my porch and sip a glass of wine! If the twins are in college and d3 can drive herself around, then maybe I can do just that in the fall.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Sherri1480 and 3timesoccermom like this.
  16. XUfan

You're a busy gal! Ahhhh! Sitting on the porch with a glass of wine. That's my idea of a good time! We had a crazy month of May...graduations (family and friends), a 2+ week visit from our youngest and her 2 month old, then the life-changing diagnosis that my littlest granddaughter got. I could have guzzled whole bottles of wine by the time all of that was over! Now, we're settling into our lives again...with the littlest one being the calming force for all of us.

Wish we lived closer. I'd love to sit on the porch and drink wine with you...and chat about our families!

OK, I said that, but in reality I know I'd never do it! I just got anxiety when I thought of it! LOL! It's not you...it's my social anxiety issues. I spent most of the day yesterday, thinking about how much I'm dreading my husband's company Christmas party this year! And it's 6 months away!

17. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

If that happens again, explain that you were visiting me and we all went for a walk on the Sea of Galilee. That should take care of any admissions problems.

18. vickib50

@Fillies Fan, along with your post, it reminded me of something I heard about Al Franken. Back before he ran for Senate, he took his nephew for an "orientation and meet & greet" to Bob Jones University. Well, he played the whole thing out in fine fashion until late in the day and someone recognized him and "outed" him. I think he was ushered off the property at that point.

May I point out that if @jastwins went for a walk on the Sea of Galilee with her "Friend," she wouldn't have been wet at all!

Sherri1480, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  19. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Oh ye of little faith!

It is quite hot here right now so after a long walk on the Sea it would be only natural that she would want to take a swim to cool off.

20. vickib50

Just spent the last 4 hours offline, re-doing everything, erasing, rebooting, scrubbing, rererere. Pulling hair out, crying, praying. Finally, thought I would doublecheck the router. Some buffoon had stepped on the power strip "off" switch.