Whatcha doin'?!?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Green is Gold, Dec 22, 2014.

1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Those are some interesting facts and customs! I despise having my picture taken. Perhaps I should start using the blanket idea! ;)

As for your less than stellar customer service experience...please don't blame it on Ohio! We're really not all that bad! LOL! Besides, my son-in-law (the new daddy) is from Idaho...and I might have to bring that up to you if he does something odd!! LOL!! :D

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  2. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Another beautiful, but, rather chilly, day here in SW Florida. Low of 47 this morning, but, promising 72 by afternoon. Wish y'all were here!

3. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Awwww, Vicki, 47 degrees is much better than 26 degrees, esp when you run out to start the car without a jacket. I am just glad I escape lunch duty, where they send the kids outside in any weather, unless it is raining. I think under 20 degrees, they let them stay inside.
    Later today, I get to cover for the school nurse. I just pray that no bloody cuts come my way. Mostly kids come to visit since they love our nurse. Mostly, they just want to get out of class.

Cathy, Gardencook and Sherri1480 like this.
  4. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Working..slow today...getting things to do in batches so I'm working on payroll hour fiqures to help me out in the future (every bit helps with my crazy schedule lol). Go pick up DS from school at 2pm then back here to do payroll and wait on the UPS man. Then home to walk. Need a full 4 miles today since this week I've been short a few days. Going to work on more coupon clipping once DS is in bed. Been ditching expired inserts.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

As far as customer service @XUfan, we've had way too much poor customer service here in Idaho to blame it on any one state. Just couldn't resist the chance to give you a poke!

I'm like you when it comes to photos of myself. I actually wondered if the blanket trick might work for me, as well -- until I saw how utterly ridiculous they looked. Guess I'm just stuck with future generations seeing me the way I am -- when I can't avoid the camera lens entirely. lol!

So far NO photo from Ohio in the mail, so I'm hoping the fellow of whom we've never heard is now enjoying a photo of individuals who are actually related to him instead of scratching his head wondering about the children in DH's immediate family might be. Just hoping the call we got on Monday was meant for him and it was HIS photo that was mailed that day!

Or at least that is what we hoped ... Mailman just scared us. Five minutes after he dropped off our regular mail, he was back on our porch opening our storm door to leave a package. Thankfully, I'd forgotten I had a pair of shoes arriving today -- still no photo! YES!

Friends who winter in Arizona each year are on their way back to Canada and will be stopping here tonight. They want to meet us for dinner, so we're looking forward to that.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  6. vickib50

Stayed in a hotel in Naples FL last night. It's a bit down I-75 from where I live. It's the last stop before you hit "Alligator Alley" to Miami. There's a sign before this exit that warns to get gas; no chances again for more than 50 miles.

Supposed to be a nice hotel. It's a Marriott brand, but, one of the lessers. Everything "looks" up to par when you walk in. I found, upon awakening, this morning, that, even though the time changed a week ago, the bedside clock has not been corrected. Then, I was filling my aluminum water bottle. I filled it with ice, then, turned on the tap at the wet bar. Thank goodness I was watching. As the water flowed, big chunks of mold or mildew or whatever that crud is called fell into my water bottle! There were other smaller problems about, but, this one really took the cake!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  7. XUfan

Hubby's off this weekend. We spent yesterday going to estate sales. We got some great stuff! One of the last sales we went to was being held by someone who used to be my son's boss when he worked at a local hotel. They had to sell their house, because he got a different position with the company, and it's out of state. So, we called my son to make sure he stops by this weekend to say goodbye. They were really good friends, and I'd hate it if he missed a chance to see him one more time.

We were supposed to go to our grandson's baseball game last night (his first one as a varsity player), but they cancelled it, since the weather was bad. I wasn't looking forward t sitting in the bleachers, wrapped in a blanket, so I was fine with the cancellation!

Today, we've got some errands to run, and lots of basketball to watch. Besides that, I have no idea!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  8. Gardencook

Ugh, @vickib50! Hope you survived your nightmare hotel!

We've had a boring weekend for the most part. A lot of odds and ends to finish up around the house.

Public television fund-raising festival has pretty much been a bust this year, but we've watched some of it. Shows we've seen over and over in the past along with a LOT of infomercials.

The local weatherman liked a photo DH took at Shoshone Falls the other day and wanted to use it on the news the other night. Otherwise a pretty quiet weekend.

9. XUfan

:D Happy First Day of Spring!!!!! :D

I spent most of the weekend watching basketball. From 12 noon on Thursday until last night when I went to bed, there had been 48 NCAA tournament games played. I can honestly say I watch at least part of 40 of them, including some games that I watched from start to finish! I love March!!!

We also did some estate sale shopping, and a little organizing around the house, along with some vague plans about what we want to do outside the house (landscaping, painting, etc.) this Spring.

Already this morning I've made the bed, cleaned the kitchen (we left last night's dishes again!), cleaned the bathroom, got a trade ready to mail, did some other paperwork, and picked up the few things lying around.

It's raining pretty hard right now, and will probably continue for most of the day. My DIL is bringing the littlest one (and maybe the 13 year-old) over this morning. We're going to go to the library for story time, and then come back here for lunch. I got up early and made a pot of vegetable soup, which is simmering on the stove right now.

Since I got so much done early today, when they go home, I'll probably prep dinner, and then read until Hubby comes home.

10. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Not feeling well this morning...my sinuses are all jacked up..stupid hot and cold weather here. This morning was 20 something degrees...tomorrow the high is supposed to reach 80 something. But here I am at work. Pretty slow here this morning so I'm going to try to do some coupon contacts. Go get DS at 2pm and wrap it up for the day. Home to walk, homework, dinner, bathes, chores and maybe rewatch The Walking Dead after DS is in bed. I missed the last half hour because I fell asleep.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  11. vickib50

I admit, I have been slacking for the past several weeks. I have not been entering sweepstakes with the discipline and rigor I once did. I am getting back on track. I started at 9:40 AM and just stopped at 5:00 PM with only 3 10-minute breaks. Thankfully, I was constantly entertained with the Congressional hearing in my ears all day. Anyone out there afraid of clowns? Don't watch this stuff. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Sherri1480, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  12. Gardencook

Well, I tried an "interesting" new adventure -- competing in my first eBay auction. I've always used the "Buy It Now" option before and that wasn't available on this.

It was supposed to be a learning experience, so NEXT time I'd know what I was doing. However, I think I'm more confused AFTER the auction than before it. Maybe someone who does these regularly can shed some light ...

I've been "watching" an item since last week, but there were no other bids and the auction didn't end until this afternoon, so I didn't figure there was a big rush to bid.

The starting price on the item was supposed to be $8.99, but there were no bids for the entire weekend. This morning there was a single bid for the opening amount. The bidding apparently goes up in 50 cent increments and if I wanted to get into the action, I had to bid at least $9.49.

I didn't want to get into a bidding war, so waited until the very last minute. No additional bids came in, but I figured someone might be doing what I was. I bid $9.99 and hit the confirm button -- so I'd be ahead just in case someone came in with a last minute bid of $9.49.

A pop-up box told me I was currently the highest bidder, but someone might bid against me and asked if I'd like to bid higher. If so, I needed to add a larger amount and confirm again. I didn't see any sense in bidding against myself, so didn't raise my bid.

The auction ended and I REALLY got steamed! The item had sold for $9.49 -- even though I bid $9.99. I figured I'd lost out and was about ready to write customer service to ask why. However, I was still confused about how I'd "lost" on a "technicality" so tried to figure it out without having to draft a complaint. Clicked on my purchase history and there was the item I'd bid on awaiting payment -- only I'd paid 50 cents less than I'd offered. lol!

So, for anyone who frequents eBay auctions, do you automatically get the next bidding increment even if you bid a higher amount? Is the amount you feed in only how high you are willing to go -- not the actual amount you are bidding? I certainly didn't expect that.

Like I said, this was supposed to be a learning experience so I tried not to get my heart set on the item. There were only two bids, but if I do this in the future I'm sure there will be items with multiple bids and I don't want to get beaten out of an item I REALLY want, because I don't understand the technical aspects.

13. jastwins

@Gardencook , I have lost many an auction by the increments you just described. You can bid on an item and if you want to pad your bid, your set a higher amount. Yes, you bid against yourself for the security of not losing out by .25 or .50 cents.

For instance, you place an opening bid for the $8.99 item and let's say you have to go out and will not be home for the end of the auction. You place a higher bid of, let's say $12 and you are the high bidder until someone bids higher than $12. However, if the person bids $10 at the very last minute, they would lose the auction, but you win and now have to pay $10.
    I have learned to place my bid with a minute left and go up by $5 over the last price. A dress I wanted was at $34 and I bid $39 with less than a minute to go. I won at $38.50! It is luck, but I have learned to try and be around for the end of the auction. It is when you can make your move or get the best deal.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  14. Gardencook

So you always get to pay the next bid increment rather than the higher amount you offered, @jastwins? That was what confused me today. I thought when I bid $9.99, that was the amount I would pay, regardless of whether another bid came in or not. I was surprised when I got the item, but was charged less than I'd bid. I only placed one bid for $9.99. I never placed a $9.49 bid.

It is good to know it is safe to bid a much larger amount without paying the higher amount if there aren't that many bids. Had I known that, I probably would have opened with a bid higher than than $9.99 -- but I was afraid of setting off a bidding war. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. lol!

I've got difficult feet and others have apparently discovered the same brand/style of shoe. A black pair that looked brand new came up as a new listing on eBay the other night, but I had something else on my plate. Came back five minutes later and they were gone. That's not the first time that has happened! :oops:

I did find a rare black pair a day or so later and didn't want to take a chance on losing them, as well. I just hit the "Buy It Now" button even though they were several dollars more than the pair I'd lost.

That pair arrived late this afternoon -- a day early -- and they have literally NEVER been worn. The manufacturer stickers are still on the bottom. Now I don't feel quite so bad about having to pay $35 for them -- even after a $5 coupon.

The shoes I need retail for well over $100 a pair. They used to go on sale in local stores for about $40 to $50, but all our stores quit carrying them and while the manufacturer used to have several different styles, now it only makes one which I know will fit properly.

I think the manufacturer is trying to discontinue the style. :( Often, black is out of stock on the web site-- even at full price. I had that problem a year and a half ago when I was desperate.

They never go on sale for less than $85 these days -- so I'm happy with a pair for less than $16 after shipping.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  15. jastwins

Yes, you only go up by bid increments and are not paying the higher price unless several bids are placed. It confused me at first too. I am so glad you found another pair of shoes that you like. The same happened with my dress. I found another one listed below the first one I bid on and ended up getting that dress for 20 bucks less. It always pays to look carefully before you bid.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  16. Gardencook

Thanks! That's good to know.

Guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on the auctions without Buy It Now options and perhaps bid on a few things I'm not yet desperate for -- if the price is right.

Considering there are only about four styles of shoes that I can wear and two of them have been discontinued for years, who knows what I'll find?

17. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I am driving myself crazy with the book I am writing.

First, I had to go through all of my old satires and short stories to figure out which I wanted to include. Then I had to update the satires (when they reflected the current political situation).

The next step was to put them in some logical order (by category). After that, came the proof-reading. I have done so twice and plan to do it at least one more time. (The book is about 300 pages, so this is not an easy task.)

Then I have to write the introduction and make up a table of contents. (Using Word makes the latter easier.)

After all of that is finished I have to make a front and back cover for the book. I am in no way capable of doing that and I have the choice of getting a professional to design them (which can cost about $400) or else have my daughter do it. She is a graphic artist for websites and while she has never designed a cover she believes she can do so. The problem is that her written English is not, to be charitable, very good -- so I will have to write everything for the cover in a format that she can cut and paste.

Upon publication, I expect all of you to order numerous copies -- and send them to friends, neighbors, relatives, and people that you hate. It will be available on Amazon.com as an e-book and I still have not decided whether to publish it in paperback form as well.

18. XUfan

I hope it's released in paperback! I'm not a big fan of e-books. I'm old-school when it comes to reading. I love to read...but I love the feel of a book in my hands.

Sherri1480, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  19. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I used to feel the same way but bought a Kindle because it was difficult to find English-language books in Israel and didn't want to wait for them to be shipped internationally.

I have now gotten used to the Kindle and enjoy it as much as I do a paper book. I think part of the reason is that I have it in a leather cover which opens like a book. :)

Sherri1480, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  20. vickib50

Another beautiful day in Paradise on tap! We are expecting a bit of liquid sunshine here and there, but, other than that, all's well!