Whatcha doin'?!?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Green is Gold, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Thank for making me laugh this morning. @Fillies Fan , you should write another book.

@Gardencook i could never keep the Royals straight either. It kills me when the Jeopardy contestants always get it right.

2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Another busy day here. I've started on the laundry...3 loads today. Besides the normal, daily housework and cooking, it's payday, so there are bills to pay. I have to pick up the carpet cleaner from my son's house, make a quick stop in Hobby Lobby, and see what else I can accomplish from the "guests are coming in 9 days!" list!

Sherri1480 likes this.
  3. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Gardencook and Sherri1480 like this.
  4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

My, Elizabeth Montgomery did change her appearance through the years @Fillies Fan! ;)

My oldest sister was always the big British history fan in our house when we were growing up @jastwins. She was glued to the original Six Wives of Henry VIII on Masterpiece when the show aired past my bedtime. No Roku for me to watch it a few years later either. :(

Then several years ago through the miracle of the Internet, I made contact with shirttail cousins who actually had the newspaper account of our ancestors arriving at New York Harbor from Scotland back in 1775. They even knew the name of the ship on which they arrived and where they purchased land after their arrival! Needless to say, I was excited.

My sisters couldn't have cared less. The only family member who showed any interest was my mother who technically wasn't related since these were my father's ancestors. Of course, my Mom also was in contact with another shirttail cousin from the other side of Dad's family which had record of a vague connection to the royal family. Mom is also the one who hung onto the family tree my father's mother had paid quite a sum of money to trace. My sisters had no interest in that, either, even though it reads like a book on the Westward Expansion.

I think my middle sister was too busy making fun that one of her husband's relations had some pretty solid evidence of his family ties to the Mayflower. I later checked the Internet and there is a pretty good chance his relation may be right!

5. Fillies Fan

When my children were in school they had to make family trees and do reports on them.

The pride of my family has always been my mother's grandfather -- who was a satirist and journalist who had his own Yiddish newspaper in NYC, wrote several books, was fluent in five languages, and was part of a group which helped build the artificial language of Esperanto.

My children, however, were not in the least interested in him.

The one they found fascinating was my father's father, who had been a bootlegger during Prohibition and a cousin of Bugsy Siegel -- who was the subject of a popular movie at the time, starring Warren Beatty.

6. Gardencook

That sounds about par for the course, @Fillies Fan!

I'm sure if you asked, my middle sister could give you an in-depth background of every character in each and every Harry Potter book, but I doubt she even remembers that my mother has her family history back to the days when Danish family surnames still changed with each generation -- based on the name of the father. Till I saw her family records I had no idea that custom had been discontinued so recently. ;)

It isn't like my sisters and I didn't demonstrate personality differences quite early. I recall going to the public library as a child. The children's library was in the basement and my sisters had advanced to the adult library on the main floor by then. I chose some non-fiction books -- mostly biographies -- for myself and checked them out, before meeting my sisters upstairs.

My middle sister informed me I had terrible taste in reading material, made me turn the books back in and then chose what she thought I should be reading. All she chose was fiction -- a sci-fi book, a mystery and one about an old woman who was a witch. Then she went back upstairs and left me to check them out.

Those were the days of the stereotyped mean old spinster librarians -- and our city had one. She promptly bawled me out for creating more work for her by turning in the books I REALLY wanted to read and checking out the ones my sister wanted me to read. I felt SOOO ashamed, but it is the incident I recall each time I have trouble understanding why my middle sister and I live on different planets. :p

jastwins, Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  7. Gardencook

Looking forward to an evening where I don't have to think ...

My head is always a bit cloudy when I've been fighting headaches from the weather. My brain still works, but it is a bit slow on the uptake. Then I don't quite trust my judgment. Kept getting in situations this afternoon where I had to keep second guessing myself.

Our total at the first store came to $12.48 -- at least that is what MY eyes were telling me was the total. However, the clerk asked me for $21.48 and I had to stand a few seconds and look at the register to figure out if I was the one who had reversed the first two numbers, or if she was. It turned out she was wrong, but I didn't want to raise a fuss -- at times I do seem to have a bit of dyslexia. lol!

At the next store I had to make judgment calls -- not my favorite thing with a fuzzy head. I wanted stir-fry tonight and thought a frozen Asian Chicken would be nice (and easy) to go along with it. (We hardly ever buy that sort of stuff, so didn't have a clue what to buy.)

The best price seemed to be a house brand on sale at $4.48, but then I noticed those bags came with white rice -- which I figured would take up half the package. We had plenty of brown rice at home and that's what we prefer.

I found one without rice, but it was $5.48 and only had 22 ounces, instead of the 32 ounces in the bags for $4.48. I finally found one for $4.48 that didn't mention anything about rice, but it was the same brand as all the others that DID come with rice ... Then I didn't know if there was a misprint on the bag. (I get USDA/FDA alerts and you wouldn't believe how many recalls come out each day over misprinted packaging!) It was only 22 ounces, not the 32 ounces of the packs with rice, but I honestly suspected I'd have to write the company and complain when I found rice in the package and my head wasn't up to it.

It isn't like the world was going to come to an end if I chose the wrong frozen chicken, but it just wasn't something I did too well at today. I'd already checked the previous store and most of the frozen chicken there was about $7.99 -- a price I WAS NOT willing to pay. :p

Then at the register we had a clerk who apparently thought he was a practical joker. After I'd paid for the groceries he looked at the register total as if there had been a mistake and asked, "Did you buy six bottles of cooking wine or a half dozen?" Years ago I regularly had to argue with clerks at that store about overcharges, so all I could think of was "Don't tell me I'm going to have to argue about whether six and a half dozen are the same!" Then I realized he was joking. :rolleyes:

Definitely time for my brain to rest!

Sherri1480, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  8. angeleyeza

angeleyeza Crazy Qpon Lady Trader Group

hello!!! sorry i havent been here much.. been so very busy with everything. with work.. kids.. the house.. and finding out i have a new baby on the way.. so far 5 months due on valentines day! super excited.. and Its a boy! :D with all the appointments and everything i stay pretty busy alot. couponing here and there . slowly catching up in some way to keep the costs down as much as possible. so thats where i have been. so with my coffee in hand.. and coupons in hand . any help is appreciated on where to begin again in the couponing aspect. to better organize. its not that i forgot how to coupon.. its the overwhelming adventure in everything all at once lol i miss you all and hope things everntually slow down a little. but does it ever? lol

Sherri1480, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  9. Fillies Fan

I have a small checking account in Germany. There is never very much money in it (generally less than $1000) and I only use it with my ATM or MasterCard when I am in the Euro Zone. It is a bit expensive (roughly $140 a year) but it is very important to me because it includes an extremely generous travel health insurance policy. In fact, it not only pays for small things like a visit to a doctor or medicine when I am overseas but if I ever wind up in a hospital it will pay for everything plus give me spending money for each day.

I was concerned, therefore, when I received a letter from them today. It was in German, which I can't read, but the subject line was "Karten und Dokumentenservice endet at 31.12.2017".

That looked to me that my credit card and bank account would be closed at the end of the year. I called the bank, found someone who spoke English, and was told that it has nothing to do with my credit card or account -- simply a service which it offers that I never had.

jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  10. XUfan

I've been basically MIA from here the past week or so. It was brought to my attention, when a caring member PM'd me to see if I was alright.

We found out two weeks ago that our youngest (AKA: the sailor), her husband, and our grandson are coming to visit. They're arriving on Friday and staying for two weeks. There's a lot to do around the house, to get ready for guests. My husband was off work for 4 days, and we did lots of shopping, fixing, moving, etc. I still have cleaning and food shopping to do. My neck is still not great (and apparently won't ever be, since they've now determined it's arthritis), so it's taking me longer to get things done. I have to take lots of breaks. And last week, I came down with bronchitis on top of all of this (try sneezing when your neck hurts! It's not fun!!).

So, it's not that I don't love you all. It's just that I've been busy. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to post while they're here. Having guests can change the household schedule. But I'll try to post more often! Promise!!

Cathy, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  11. Fillies Fan

@XUfan I suggest that you take a few minutes to look at my newest RAOK. You just might be lucky enough to win the $50 prize, which will help with the sailor's visit.

Cathy, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  12. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Well-Known Member Trader Group

Carol (XUFan) - So :) that your daughter and husband and your grandchild are all coming to visit you and Dan. I Hope that you all enjoy the visit and have a upload_2017-11-15_8-12-14.png holiday together!!

xxx ooo
    Linda

Fillies Fan and Sherri1480 like this.
  13. XUfan

Thanks!

It will be great to see them again. We had our choice of Thanksgiving or Christmas (they'll visit her husband's family for Christmas). I chose Thanksgiving! She told me in the spring that she wouldn't be going anywhere for the Holidays. Then she found out she's being deployed in June, so I'm sure that's part of what changed her decision.

14. XUfan

Hi Everyone! Our guests arrived on Friday night, and it's been so great to see them. We hadn't seen the baby (except daily pictures) since May. He's grown so much!

I'm still adjusting to having someone here all day...which is a big adjustment for me! LOL! And of course, it would be easier if my neck wasn't hurting so much. They'll be here for 2 weeks, but I bet when that time is over, it will seem like they just got here!

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  15. Gardencook

Trying to decide if the gas is justified to drive an hour one way to shop today.

I've got:

* $9/$9 in surprise points from Kmart/Sears -- neither of which are located here any longer. Won't have Kmart there after a few more weeks. :(

$2/$2 Hallmark rewards coupon -- it pulled out of town years ago, as well. My rewards program had expired, but DH signed me up again in Omaha so now I'm getting e-mails and again feeling guilty about all the coupons that expire before we get near a store. Think I may also have a non-insert coupon in my box, as well.

I've got a $5/$25 coupon for the discount grocery, but lately I haven't been finding that much there. I think too many have discovered it has deals and that is driving up prices. When there is a really good deal on Facebook, we can't drop everything and run up there and the deal is gone later when we get there.

There are 40 percent off one item coupons at three different craft store chains. We no longer have any craft store here, but I honestly can't think of any craft items we need.

Kohl's looks like it has some decent small appliance deals, but most of them seem to be IF I want to buy too many small appliances I don't need. We don't have Kohl's, so IF I earn Kohl's Cash it requires more gas to go spend it. That's why I rarely shop there. Wasn't terribly impressed with the clothing selection when I stopped in several weeks ago. Haven't checked Macy's ads lately, since it also deserted us.

* Since Staples pulled out of our town, I really haven't seen a deal worth driving 120 miles round trip to enjoy.

* There is a good deal on StoveTop Stuffing at one of the grocery chains, so I could check the superstore to see if they carry the whole wheat variety we love. Most of the stores in our town have never carried it. Of the two which used to, one quit stocking it and I'm boycotting the other.

* We do have some B1G1 restaurant deals in our punch card book which would supply a cheap meal.

Can you tell I'm having a hard time getting motivated? :p I REALLY need to get out of this town for a day ...

Well, I finally found my excuse!

Thanksgiving essentials are MUCH cheaper at a friendly, family-owned grocery halfway between the two cities. Guess I can justify the trip if we save 20 cents a pound on turkey breast and get some cheap loss leaders on staples in the mix.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  16. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Shirley Phillips Burton, August 10, 1937-November 20, 2017

My stepmom passed this morning. She has been a big part of my life since age 16.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  17. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss, Vicki.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  18. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

My deepest sympathies, Vicki.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  19. Gardencook

Sherri1480 likes this.
  20. annie41

annie41 Active Member Trader Group

So sorry Vicki. I know she played an important role in your life.

Sherri1480 likes this.