Whatcha doin'?!?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Green is Gold, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Sounds like the construction workers where you live must have gone to the same school as the fellows I encountered the other day, @XUfan. And then they wonder why road construction traffic accidents have risen so dramatically the past several years? :(

I can believe that both you and your sister have problems with your surnames. I grew up with a three letter, two syllable name and always told myself I was going to marry a "Smith" or "Jones" so I didn't have to mess with explaining. It didn't work out that way, but my sister gained a simple name by marriage and it hasn't helped her much.

My Dad's family moved to a town outside Boise when he was a teenager, so I grew up pronouncing the name correctly. It wasn't until I moved here that I realized there was such a controversy. Guess since I'm not a native Idahoan, I just shrug it off when someone pronounces it "Boy-zee" instead of "Boy-see," but to anyone born here (including DH) the first pronunciation is like fingernails across a chalkboard.

Still can't believe someone in this nation hasn't at least heard of the place, however.

It isn't like Idaho doesn't have its fair share of weird pronunciations. I think most states do. ;)

Friends from New Zealand were once quite put out when they learned we don't use the French pronunciation for the town of Dubois, and pronounce the last syllable just like we do the "bois" in Boise.

No one except Idahoans seem to know that the "cow" in Moscow, Idaho is pronounced with a long "O" instead of like the Russian city.

I never have understood how the town of Shoshone got shortened to two syllables in Idaho when the rest of the nation pronounces the name with three syllables -- like I learned as a child. (The "E" is silent here.) The Shoshones on the reservation here refer to themselves using two syllables, yet I've seen documentaries with Shoshones elsewhere in the nation using three.

It gets rather awkward since Sacajawea was Shoshone and historians believe she was born in Idaho -- just a little northwest of here. I grew up believing her tribe's name had three syllables and always wonder if outsiders consider me "uneducated" because I now refer to her tribe using two. :oops:

Of course, back east they even seem pronounce her name quite differently than we do in the West. I've seen Shoshones on documentaries pronouncing it at least two different ways -- neither of which is the pronunciation my third grade teacher from back East used. :confused:

A radio station in Twin Falls put out a cute video about Idaho pronunciations a few years ago. It addressed the Idaho/Iowa/Ohio confusion, as well. Of course, the fact that that it is set to music by Gilbert & Sullivan doesn't hurt any either. :p

The Idaho Cities Song -- Expret's Corner ( The misspelling of "expert" IS intentional. lol!)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Your mention of Moscow reminded me of something. There's a town here in Ohio, that's called Russia. And how is it pronounced??? Roo-she! No kidding!

Oh, and I totally forgot to tell you that my wonderful husband has told several people that Jasmine was in Iowa, visiting her in-laws, when in fact, she was in Idaho! LOL!

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  3. XUfan

As for today...

I got an email from the t-shirt place with the final copy of the design we're using for the walk team t-shirts. It it amazing!! I called DIL and told her to come over to see it, because I had to see the look on her face. She almost cried!! I can't wait to share it with everyone, but we're not showing it off yet. There's a "best t-shirt" contest at the walk, and you never know who might read this website!!

I also dug around in the boxes in the sailor's closet, to see if I could find something in there to sell at the charity garage sale next weekend. I made a list of possible things, and emailed it to her. She replied...sell it all!! So, the pile of stuff to sell grows bigger! My granddaughters and I spent an hour untangling 15 necklaces that were in a box in her closet!

I talked to my daughter today. She and her husband posted a donation to our walk team last night (she can't make it up here that weekend). Then, she posted the link to our team's page on Facebook. A friend of hers, who lives in Virginia is donating a pair of Ohio State pillowcases to the sale for us to either sell or use for the raffle. She's mailing them today. And, my daughter mailed a Coach bracelet for us to either sell or raffle. And the big news...we reached $1000 in donations last night! And we still have 6 weeks till the walk!

Now, I'm going to set a timer for 2 hours, and see if I can get most of the housework done, and write my grocery lists for tomorrow.

4. JenDwane

JenDwane New Member

working

Gardencook and Sherri1480 like this.
  5. Sherri1480

Sherri1480 Active Member Trader Group

Speaking of pronunciations, I moved to the side of Kentucky close to Illinois. Here they pronounce Cairo, Illinois--cay-ro and Vienna, Illinois--viianna. Of course we also have Possum Trot, Ky and Monkey's Eyebrow but they are pronounced like they sound :p

Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  6. XUfan

Busy day...

Grocery stores, bill-paying, cleaning, and digging out more stuff for the garage sale! It looks like a short list, but it's very time-consuming!

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  7. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

My son has now written a book. The problem is that he is a native Hebrew-speaker and while he has an excellent English vocabulary he has absolutely no idea of English spelling, grammar, or punctuation.

He gave me a copy of his manuscript, explaining that a woman who is an English teacher in a college had edited it for him. I don't know what college she teaches at but I can tell you she would have flunked English Comp 101 at any college I have ever known. In fact, she might not have been allowed to graduate high school.

I spent the last three days correcting all the mistakes and can only hope that by the end I wasn't too tired to catch them all.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 9:41 AM
  8. Gardencook

Don't worry if you missed a few @Fillies Fan. It doesn't seem to matter to the news media any longer, so I doubt it does anywhere else. We can't believe the grammatical errors we see in headlines for MAJOR news outlets everyday. Its like fingers on a chalkboard to any of us who care, but apparently we don't count any longer. ;)

9. XUfan

Gardencook is right FF! I often correct the newscasters when I'm watching the news. It's worse on the sports channels, though! As much as I love sports, it's tiring to keep saying, "no...you COULDN'T care less"...or my all time favorite ;), when they say, "all the sudden." :rolleyes:

Today has been a crazy day! I got everything done on my list, but it seemed to be the day of glitches! My DIL called to tell me that our team page for our walk team has my husband listed as the team captain now instead of me. I tried logging in, so I could change it...but it wouldn't let me log in. No matter if I used my info or his, it took me to his page! GRRRR! I called the coordinator, and she's working on fixing it.

I was trying to pay bills, but of course, one of them (water) has changed their website and billing system. When I logged in, it said that my bill is due 5/31/17...um, that was 3 months ago. I paid that! Then it said I made 2 payments last month, and that my bill (normally $50) for the month is $13.25. I was so confused! I called CS, but their recorded message said there would be a wait of at least an hour to talk to someone. So...I'm guessing it's not just me! LOL! I'll try back next week. It's not due until the end of the month.

On the bright side, I stopped at a yard sale, and was thinking of buying a couple of dollars worth of 25 cent items, to fill some table space at our garage sale next week, since it's for charity. The lady having the sale got a box for me to put the items in, so we started talking. When she heard what I was doing, she started filling the box with other items. When she was done, it was about $15 or $20 worth of stuff. She charged me $5 for all of it! It's a very heavy box, with lots of goodies in it! I hope it all sells!

Now that I'm done with my list, I'm going to relax until Hubby gets home. There's a small chance that he and his brothers are all going out to dinner tonight, since it's the last night our nephew will be in town. I have no idea if they've made plans...or if everyone (wives) are going. So, I am not going to start cooking until he gets here.

10. Fillies Fan

One of my least favorite things to hear, repeatedly, on TV news is "Here's the thing..."

In turn, I answer in a frightened voice, "WHERE'S THE THING?"

11. XUfan

That one bothers me too! I've also noticed that so many people who are being interviewed, start their response to every question with, "So..."

Where is the event taking place?
    So...it's downtown this year, at 3rd and Main.
    Why was it moved?
    So...we thought this would be a better location.
    Is there a fee to get in?
    So...it's actually free, which is great.

As you can see, it makes me crazy!

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  12. Gardencook

Know EXACTLY what you mean @XUfan! My husband is a lifetime journalist and he's always getting irritated with the television yelling "Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?"

His words were echoing in my ears the other day. When I was out of town a radio station was doing a big promotion at a credit union -- you know the type, free "goodies," free food, a few seconds in the "money machine" for opening a new account ...

The disk jockey kept announcing over and over again, "We'll be here until 2 p.m. so be sure and come see us!"

Only one problem, all she kept repeating was was "we're at the credit union."

Our radio stations cover the entire region, so just because you are listening in one city does NOT mean the broadcast is coming from that city. The credit union is the largest in the state and covers the entire state -- from the Canadian border clear down to Utah -- we bank there ourselves.

There were probably at least 50 branches alone within her broadcast area. She wasn't even telling us what city she was in, let alone what branch -- IF you happened to figure out the city ... the credit union certainly got a lot from those advertising dollars. :confused:

It looked like the same thing was happening when we opted NOT to use the branch closest to our home today to avoid the crowd -- so apparently she wasn't at that branch the other day. That narrows it down to about 49 possibilities.

Then there was the headline DH exploded over a couple weeks ago. One female professor was retiring from the university so the headline referred to her as "their" in both the headline and throughout the story. Apparently, political correctness has come to the sad state of referring to singular individuals in the plural -- just so the story doesn't have to use a gender-specific singular pronoun. :mad:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 10:44 PM
    Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  13. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Like, like, like... Oh, my! I hear the inappropriately used "like" as a verbal stop sign. I rail about it to no avail. I have posted on FB page of a nationally syndicated radio show how I have stopped listening because of it. Don't they teach ANYTHING in "J School" any longer?

@Sherri1480, I can boast that I have been to Thousand Sticks, KY. Well, perhaps "boast" is not quite the image I wish to project.

14. Fillies Fan

How about on Fox News, when "Dr Manny", signs off on one of his segments with, "Until next time, I'm Dr Manny"? It always makes me wonder who he will be after the next time.

(I won't even tell you what goes through my mind when one of their sexy, bleached-blonde, newscasters tell me to "Keep it right here.")

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:44 AM
  15. vickib50

16. Gardencook

Has anyone other than me been to George, Washington or Boring, Oregon?

Can't say I've ever been to Idiotville, Oregon. It's a ghost town. I wonder why? :p

17. Fillies Fan

They don't begin to compare to the Lancaster County (PA) towns of Intercourse, Bird In Hand, and Blueball.

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  18. vickib50

Oh, @Fillies Fan, did I have something to say about that post, then I remembered where I am!

Sherri1480, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  19. XUfan

I thought about this thread last night. My husband and I were looking at a cabin rental website. The cabins are by a lake at a state park about 90 minutes from our house, so we thought it would be a nice weekend getaway for us sometime. I cringed when I read that they had " cabins with 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom's". There was also a page where I could view "cabin photo's". Apparently they're not teaching the proper use of apostrophes anymore! I told my husband that it looked nice, but we should check out some other places before we make our decision. I wasn't sure I'd be able to communicate with the staff!

Hubby is working today, so I'm using the day to get as much done as possible. I've started the laundry, and I've made a list of things I need to do around the house. When the housework is done, I'm going to work on the posters and raffle boxes for the garage sale. I'd like to get all of them done today, so that there's less to do later this week. The sale starts Thursday, and I'm already stressing that I won't get everything done!

20. vickib50

I remember learning the proper use of the apostrophe in 4th grade. I have had conversation with adults who use it inappropriately. Sometimes I'm just blunt and will correct them. I was told, "I use it because it looks so cute!" Really. I could not make that up.

Sherri1480, jastwins and Fillies Fan like this.